Such is Life- Ben Cousins doco

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't in the doco but i found this interesting. On the weekend Duffield and Langdon said that Cousins and other players who had drug problems told them that the method a lot of the AFL players use to avoid detection after using drugs is to drink bleach. Apparently they mix it with orange juice to help them keep it down and not throw up. Cousins has done it so much that it has completely ****ed the lining of his stomach and that was the reason behind his hospitalisation earlier in the season. How unbelievable is that? The bleach would be worse for you than the drugs. It's a known carcinogen.

Surely the presence of bleach would set off 'masking agent' alarms with the testers?

Anyone know how much you have to intake for it to be successful?

your not intruding its about your player
he's talking about coming on to our West Coast board.

Besides, Ben Cousins is our player. Yes he finished his career with Richmond, but he is West Coast through and through. Don't disassociate yourself with the best player to have ever worn an Eagles guernsey just because he is a drug addict.

It wasn't in the doco but i found this interesting. On the weekend Duffield and Langdon said that Cousins and other players who had drug problems told them that the method a lot of the AFL players use to avoid detection after using drugs is to drink bleach. Apparently they mix it with orange juice to help them keep it down and not throw up. Cousins has done it so much that it has completely ****ed the lining of his stomach and that was the reason behind his hospitalisation earlier in the season. How unbelievable is that? The bleach would be worse for you than the drugs. It's a known carcinogen.

That's insane :eek:

I think the whole northbridge incident was upsetting (for him) because you get the probable impression that the club dumped him based on the media controversy and the issues it was creating for the clubs image at the time. This was instead of doing it for his health or even for the club... it was just a get-out-of-jail card. Otherwise you'd think that they would have dumped him a lot earlier. Also the fact that he found out through the media rather than through the club itself.

BTW - What was the ****ing point to Caro's input.

probably to highlight what a mole she is

Also, drinking bleach? ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sure if they have genuine pain but benny cousins? a perfectly fit footballer in his prime? at most he would get a shot during a game if he had a sore spot like a broken rib or somethin but that wouldnt be valium thats for ****** sure

When he got arrested at the end of October 2008, he was already a 'recovering' drug addict. So having valium prescribed may have been part of his treatment...

He also mentioned xanax, i think, which is something like 10 Valiums. They use it in mental health constantly for anxiety.

Its also abused pretty heavily on the streets...

I know i will get pilloried for saying this but one thing that stood out for me at the time and still stands out now, and is one of the reasons i have so little respect for the competence and leadership abilities of Nisbett and Worsfold, was what hapenned in 2007. It's even more clear from watching that doco than it was watching from a distance at the time that Cousins had not even taken the first step in dealing with his problem when he came back from rehab in 2007 and that is admitting that he had a real problem and was not in control of himself.

Yet the genius of Nisbett and Worsfold thought that so long as he has done his 28 days in a rehab clinic and drunken some herbal tea and chanted a few mantras all the problems were fixed and ben could play footy again and everybody can just forget about everything that had hapenned. By that stage they would have known just how bad his problems were and they would have been able to see for themselves that he hadn't even begun the recovery process by admitting his problems when he came back to the club.

Yet they were so quick to declare him cured and get him back in the team. A few weeks later when he was photographed hanging around with Kizon associates in dodgy nightclubs again they were O.K. with that aswell despite all the tough rhetoric that he had to cease association with them. It just shows how the reputation Worsfold in particular has for toughness and leadership and intelligence is way overblown. He and Nisbett were still happy to play the role of the enablers and back slappers even after Cousins had had that first melt down.

That was fascinating,

A few observations:

The blanked out pics, I believe there was Gardiner in 1, Kerr in another and I'm adimant that Fletch was in 2, especially in 1 where Ben was off his nut. Of Fletch, I am completely convinced.

I believe everything Ben has said as bring honest and factual, with the exception of the Mainwaring Death. There were long thoughtful pausescin there. The whole thing was completely skimmed over. Sure, there was talk of him being a mentor and devestation after the death, but nothing mentioned of the night. What did they talk about on the night. Why did Ben come over? Nothing.

My despise of Woosha grows by the day. Looking back on 06, 07 interviews, Woosha being staunchly defensive and saying we gave no evidence so therefore everything is AOK.

No one but Ben is to blame. But the the whole club played it's part in years of coverups. The whole lot of them should have been sacked.

The untold stories, police coverups, hushing the press, people would have been paid not to talk. Discussions with officials and how he lied his way through.

The Doco is very good, but it does jump quickly from one person and story & period to the next. It never fully explores any one single incident in great detail.

That was fascinating,

A few observations:

The blanked out pics, I believe there was Gardiner in 1, Kerr in another and I'm adimant that Fletch was in 2, especially in 1 where Ben was off his nut. Of Fletch, I am completely convinced.

I believe everything Ben has said as bring honest and factual, with the exception of the Mainwaring Death. There were long thoughtful pausescin there. The whole thing was completely skimmed over. Sure, there was talk of him being a mentor and devestation after the death, but nothing mentioned of the night. What did they talk about on the night. Why did Ben come over? Nothing.

My despise of Woosha grows by the day. Looking back on 06, 07 interviews, Woosha being staunchly defensive and saying we gave no evidence so therefore everything is AOK.

No one but Ben is to blame. But the the whole club played it's part in years of coverups. The whole lot of them should have been sacked.

The untold stories, police coverups, hushing the press, people would have been paid not to talk. Discussions with officials and how he lied his way through.

The Doco is very good, but it does jump quickly from one person and story & period to the next. It never fully explores any one single incident in great detail.

good post agree with its entirety :thumbsu:

hmm giving valium to a known drug addict interesting

the only possible reason i could imagine a doctor genuinely prescribing it to benny would of been for anxiety but i really think its a bit werd

No - money for jam - all you have to do is write a script - GP's aren't always saintly creatures.

Well it'd be about 40 mins tonight, shit load of ads. So really considering the amount of shit Ben has got himself into, they packed a lot in.

His early life
His rise to stardom
Being appointed captain
Being linked to the nightclub shooting and his dodgy mates
Winning the Brownlow
Losing the GF
The booze bus thing
Losing the captaincy
Winning the flag
Getting suspended by the club post 06
Going off to rehab in states
Come Back Game and injury
Getting arrested in Northbridge
Getting sacked
Heading back to the states
Ending up in Hospital over there
Getting banned by the league..

Busy lad..

Well it'd be about 40 mins tonight, shit load of ads. So really considering the amount of shit Ben has got himself into, they packed a lot in.

His early life
His rise to stardom
Being appointed captain
Being linked to the nightclub shooting and his dodgy mates
Winning the Brownlow
Losing the GF
The booze bus thing
Losing the captaincy
Winning the flag
Getting suspended by the club post 06
Going off to rehab in states
Come Back Game and injury