Such is Life- Ben Cousins doco

Remove this Banner Ad

In competition equates to gameday - so yes they are performance enhancing on gameday for the period of a number of hours.

What I am saying is that amphetamines and cocaine not taken on match day are not deemed to provide any advantage to the performance on match day - irrespective of what it does outside of that day.

You don't win games at training - and there's no evidence to suggest that drugs at training improve gameday performance (unlike steroids) - otherwise they'd be against the rules.

Again - WADA is very clear - and has been for a while - taking drugs not on gameday - has no evidence to suggest it improves performance in a match. Thems the facts and the rules as they stand.

You don't have to like it - you don't have to agree with it - but they are the facts as we know it today!

That may change in the future, as will caffeine use - but you can only play by the rules of the day.

99% of the game is won at training.

you don't get 4 points at training

and drugs in your system at training don't help you get 4 points on match day. they are the rules.

if you honestly believe that amphetamines offering you the ability train harder in the gym, and get stronger/fitter in a faster period of time, doesnt equate to an improved matchday performance, then you've lost me.

and in-competition in a lot of codes is during the season, not just match-day.

hiding behind the techincalities of the rules is irrelevant anyways - by that line of thinking, Cousins never tested positive to a drug test, and so therefore there isn't a problem.

On another note, lost a bit of respect for Cuz after watching last night. Came across as a typical rock smoking bogan you would expect to find in the far reaches of the Northern Suburbs. Seeing Kizon was interesting too, how much does that guy love himself! Didnt have the sort of house I imagined either.

Cuz still has a long road ahead of him.

Looks like a pretty good surfer too

The pieces of footage of him smoking his pipe had me stunned. I always knew he was on meth and cocaine and everything. But actually seeing him smoke it makes me think of him..differently? Kind of makes me compare him to the jobless meth addict up the road with burns and scratches all over his face and the only thing he seems to get excited about it going to someone's house to get high

Kizon seems like a total w***er, guess that's just the type ben likes hanging out with though.

Cuz and Mainy used to go surfing heaps

if you honestly believe that amphetamines offering you the ability train harder in the gym, and get stronger/fitter in a faster period of time, doesnt equate to an improved matchday performance, then you've lost me.

hiding behind the techincalities of the rules is irrelevant anyways - by that line of thinking, Cousins never tested positive to a drug test, and so therefore there isn't a problem.

it's not a technicality as much as you want it to be.

I wouldn't have a clue if it is or not - I've never taken cocaine and then gone to footy training.

So rather than just assume and make suppositions - I let independent, qualified people make that assessment for me. And as it stands - they say it doesn't - that's not a technicality.

seriously? If you train harder than anyone else, your going to be able to run harder than anyone else.

If training doesn't matter, don't bother hey :p

i didn't make the rules, i haven't done the research

But that is what the world governing body says about it.

Feel free to agree or disagree with them.

it's not a technicality as much as you want it to be.

I wouldn't have a clue if it is or not - I've never taken cocaine and then gone to footy training.

So rather than just assume and make suppositions - I let independent, qualified people make that assessment for me. And as it stands - they say it doesn't - that's not a technicality.

and yet it's banned in-competition because????

You cannot train while on coke , speed or meth......if you think you can then try it . Done all three drugs around 10 years ago in my early 20's and i can tell you now you would not be able to train at under 17's level never mind AFL. it is out of your system within 24 hours even less. Drugs have been around footy for a long time . you cannot get on the piss with mates etc due to trying to keep your skin folds down so to join in the fun drop ecey or a bit of wizz. i seen it first hand as a 13 year old playing colts for a WA club and seen it by other league players and afl players. Most have the odd hit during the year other smash it . What i find funny is and it was never picked up was a interview with mathew lloyd when cuz first got done he said somthing along the lines that " he had seen players have a ecey rather then a beer " i thought a bit more would come from that but nothing ?

I really don't want to burst the little purple bubble and let you know who I know has been dabbling on the Docker's list, with nothing done about it, but if you are so concerned about their well being and the club doing the right thing, just PM me and I'll give you names to go and ask the administration about. In a purely human interest manner, of course!;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sir are a f&^%ing moron.

Perhaps being on meth or coke did give him a little buzz with training. If this was the case why doesn't everyone do it........ Oh yeah, that's right, because it has horrendous long term effects on the body, hell even mid term effects on the body.

If you truly believe meth or coke is performance enhancing you've clearly never seen someone on the stuff or taken it yourself.

It really hurts you. The lack of sleep, the huge crashes afterwards, the massive comedowns, the mood swings. All of this would hinder you far more than having a little buzz when training.

And the point of "oh he trained on drugs and therefore pushed himself harder and that's why he was so good and played so well on matchday" is just idiotic I even feel like a moron typing it.

Seriously mate get a reality and check and check your facts before saying dangerously stupid things. You like most people have no idea how drugs affect people.

Maybe watch part 2 and you will see what drug abuse really does to people.

Just finished watching part one of the doco & looking forward to part two. I'm pretty much over all this stuff but it is interesting to see further insight into what was happening with him, especially since I'm an Adelaide based supporter.. Thoughts??

Real happy Cuz has turned it around, however not really sure it's going to help the normal joe blogs out there as they wouldn't have the money to send their son or daughter to the states to get the best help possible.....

That said Mr Cousins Senior would certainly win Father of Year for me......

You sir are a f&^%ing moron.

Perhaps being on meth or coke did give him a little buzz with training. If this was the case why doesn't everyone do it........ Oh yeah, that's right, because it has horrendous long term effects on the body, hell even mid term effects on the body.

If you truly believe meth or coke is performance enhancing you've clearly never seen someone on the stuff or taken it yourself.

It really hurts you. The lack of sleep, the huge crashes afterwards, the massive comedowns, the mood swings. All of this would hinder you far more than having a little buzz when training.

And the point of "oh he trained on drugs and therefore pushed himself harder and that's why he was so good and played so well on matchday" is just idiotic I even feel like a moron typing it.

Seriously mate get a reality and check and check your facts before saying dangerously stupid things. You like most people have no idea how drugs affect people.

Maybe watch part 2 and you will see what drug abuse really does to people.

and yet where was all of this through 05/06/07? He said himself he was a drug addict, but highly functioning, through those times. He recounts going on benders, and regular use as a reward for training, through those times. You may be right in the effects it has on most people, but by his own accounts he was functioning as an elite level athlete at the same time he was using.

and yet where was all of this through 05/06/07? He said himself he was a drug addict, but highly functioning, through those times. He recounts going on benders, and regular use as a reward for training, through those times. You may be right in the effects it has on most people, but by his own accounts he was functioning as an elite level athlete at the same time he was using.

No doubt. You are quite right. I myself know many highly functioning drug addicts and alcoholics. There are lot's of them out there and they do function well. But to call it performance enhancing is a whole different story and just plain not true (if not used on match day).

That was the point i was trying to make.

PS.

If he hadn't been smashing his body through all of that abuse he would have most probably been a far better player.

But i guess we'll never know.

Brought back many bad memories watching the doco. The look on Woshas face when Cousins did his Hami in 07 said it all. Agree with the father of year comment above, feel more for Bryan than Ben watching it. Was interested to hear Bryan tried to talk the club out of giving the captaincy to Ben also.

Brought back many bad memories watching the doco. The look on Woshas face when Cousins did his Hami in 07 said it all. Agree with the father of year comment above, feel more for Bryan than Ben watching it. Was interested to hear Bryan tried to talk the club out of giving the captaincy to Ben also.

The captaincy one was interesting - clearly that was a mistake in as much as it was too early to thrust it upon him.

It destroyed Damien Martyn's career for a while, clearly Carey got carried away with it as well.

Wow.. A Police Sheriff is saying it doesn't work. Who'd a thunk it aye?

You really think he'd come out and say "yeah drinking Bleach destroys any evidence of taking drugs?"

I was just using the website as evidential backup. My dad works in drug and alcohol abuse prevention / counselling stuff, and he says there are ways you can beat the system, but bleach is certainly not one.

Clearly he did suspect it - however it's what you can prove, not what you think you know. What the reports shows is that the club didn't take enough steps to try and prove it.

I was in London in 2001/2002 and I knew about Cousins and Gardiner being caught on a phone-tap. All of Perth "knew" it.

Turns out - it wasn't Cousins and Gardiner at all! So you have to be careful with what is fact and what is supposition.

I might just add - there is one bloke on our list still who HAS numerous evidence pieces against him for improper drug involvements - and I don't see anyone calling for his head

Can you PM the name?

Remove this Banner Ad

Such is Life- Ben Cousins doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Back