Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

hence I watched it on my own :D

haha wise choice I guess, I got nervous because everytime it cut to an ad break my mum stared at me funny

I would've said none of it was acted out.

Let me explain myself properly, my last post was shit.

I just can't believe they have all this footage it kind of shocks me

he arranged to have a camera crew film him smoking crystal?

didn't think this would be so in depth as the smoking footage is clearly pretty recent

Really wasn't expecting it to be so graphic. My heart just broke when I saw that first crack pipe.

that's what i mean, i knew he did it, i see crack pipes like every month in different homes, but seeing him actually smoke it made me like mind = blown

and does anyone know this:

did he pluck or cut his eyebrows, or did they get burnt off when smoking on his bender?

when he shaved his head before the hair test he lost all thickness in his eyebrows and he looked like a wreck

I found it very interesting, and am interested to see what teenagers think after watching the documentary tonight.

I think it is pretty clear he has already become somewhat of a cult hero for what he has done and been through, and not necessarily for the right reasons in terms of a teenagers perception. Maybe many of us see the message, but many many others would see it in a different light.

At the end of the day it shows a bloke that lived on the wild side, but because he still worked hard, won a brownlow, a premiership, partied with hot women and then came out the other side. I'm not sure if the desired message comes across (if there is a real message)... the most shocking thing is that his public profile continues to rise to greater heights on the back of this...

It is great for him to come out the other side because he has a massively strong will and was able to eventually pull himself out... the majority wouldn't I'd presume.

The documentary is what it is... I don't really see it as groundbreaking in anyway. We lived through all the events in the media already, they have thrown in dozens of interview snipets, a couple of live clips... presto, everyone is eating it up. I've never been around drugs but the vision isn't really that graphic or shocking to me.

Its not a public service though... its just a media doco.

For mine, Mainwarring is a bigger disappointment. The fact he was in his forties and had children. It makes me quite sad.

I got pretty sad when he died, not just because of the loss of a good man's life, but mainly because I knew he had a caring wife and kids he would leave behind.

He seemed like a nice bloke, shame he let something take over him like that

So incredibly sad, especially when they showed the vision of him twitching.

I found it confusing at times because some of the vision of him in 2008 had him with a similar hair style to now.

Personally I give him a lot of credit for not laying blame, bringing anyone down with him, pointing the finger...

However, I think heaps of the jigsaw pieces are missing as a result. The culture of the club, the lack of insight from people at West Coast, why on earth the 'signs' were not evident to West Coast until after the 2006 premiership...I mean this kid was on drugs from the age of 17 and nobody realised it was a problem until after the success?

If they don't go more into this side of things tomorrow, I remain cynical of the part (or lack there of) that the powers at be at his football club played in this early on.

No disrespect to WCE supporters on here, just an opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Geraldton, where he was born and grew up, and where alot of his family live. The mood that hit the town when Mainy passed away is something i'll never forget. A mixture of disappointment, whispers and lots of sadness.

People, including my dad, used to surf with him, they'd play footy with him as a kid for Rovers and everyone knew his mother. It was very sad.

Did he have the shaved head appearance before joining Richmond? I always thought he had that look after joining Richmond. Im only raising this because I think there was footage of him doing drugs with a skin head look during tonights doco.

Did he have the shaved head appearance before joining Richmond? I always thought he had that look after joining Richmond. Im only raising this because I think there was footage of him doing drugs with a skin head look during tonights doco.

It was before he joined Richmond

but he also had the shaved head for a while during his first season

He should be dead. If he didnt have so much money and access to the best help money can buy he' wouldnt be where he is now. Even so there is no guarantee he wont relapse anyway.

Maybe I missed the whole point of the exercise. I didn't find any of the doco sad or upsetting, you could make a case for the parts with Brian Cousins being upsetting but it didn't really effect me.

Sat there and laughed at...
"Your not Ben Cousins are ya?"
"Come on mate your kidding arnt ya? ...He's not even that good."

As an 18 year old guy, my girlfriend and I sat and watched and all in all, part one came across as a message to young people that while drug addiction is one hell of a ride, you'll come out the other side and the ups will be nothing short of amazing.

Was very interesting though and as someone else said, it's a media production not a public service.

Anyone know if it is going to come out on DVD. Yeah I recorded like many by with the ****ed up DVD quality in todays world having the ability to **** up when you want to record something most. Really really pissed off.

he arranged to have a camera crew film him smoking crystal?

Nah, that was his mate, he'd started filming it. He took a lot of raw footage in to Gudinski. Thats when the real crew was brought in and the production values went up.

Gudinski reckons that dealing with Jimmy Barrnes for all those years helped with dealing with Cousins and thats in part why Cousins went to him.

It was an interesting watch, but I didn't really get the whole sadness about drugs thing to be honest. It was kind of like having Keith Richards do an anti-drug movie. "Like, I had the best time of my life, but seriously don't do it ok"

^^well we've only seen part 1 of it. The fact that Cousins is still alive means there are always going to be people who watch this doco and think they can get away with it no matter what is shown. But by tomorrow night i doubt the lasting message will be that drugs are an easy thing to deal with and you will have the time of your life with a few pitfalls...

He's not that far removed from 'recovering' and I think he made this documentary too soon.

I've worked with recovering substance misusers (in a residential rehab) and there were still moments of 'drug raving' and the glint in his eye was still very much there.

His family gets the message across what the lifestyle can cost you but I'm still not really sure Ben does himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back