Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

As an 18 year old guy, my girlfriend and I sat and watched and all in all, part one came across as a message to young people that while drug addiction is one hell of a ride, you'll come out the other side and the ups will be nothing short of amazing.

Cousins is far from in the clear from the drug abuse, didnt you watch the part involving Mainwairing collapsing to his death?

what if Cousins is to collapse and die befoe his 40 due to drug abuse? hardly coming out the other side i would think....

^^well we've only seen part 1 of it. The fact that Cousins is still alive means there are always going to be people who watch this doco and think they can get away with it no matter what is shown. But by tomorrow night i doubt the lasting message will be that drugs are an easy thing to deal with and you will have the time of your life with a few pitfalls...

yea i know it was only part 1 and part 2 is 2moro..i dont have work so will be able to watch part 2 but would like to see part 1 before i watch the second one 2moro

Cousins is far from in the clear from the drug abuse, didnt you watch the part involving Mainwairing collapsing to his death?

what if Cousins is to collapse and die befoe his 40 due to drug abuse? hardly coming out the other side i would think....
And thats your opinion and thats his opinion.

The fact is some people aren't going to come away from this film with the 'drugs are bad' message.

I think it did glorify elements of drug use I think.

Its not a message made to educate, its a message made to sell advertising. Well thats what I think after part one. I'm not saying Ben hasn't changed but he's still got a foot either side of fence when he talks about his stuff (which is very common and normal).

For those struggling to except that he is remorsefull and that the documentry sends the wrong message, keep in mind , that the only part of the doco which appears to be in recent times , post returning to footy is when he is dressed in the grey suit sitting down . When dressed in the red t-shirt to
me appears post rehab in US but well before his current situation !
Possibly wrongly switches from past to current commentary / interviews , which does reduce the value of the message !

The fact is some people aren't going to come away from this film with the 'drugs are bad' message.

I think it did glorify elements of drug use I think.

This.

Message to all media outlets who mercilessly flogged the line that all families should watch it together to prevent drug abuse ... thanks for nothing.

The only messages I got out of it were that drugs were expensive and hurt your Dad more than you.

The 'drugs are bad' message got lost every time Cousins got a twinkle in his eye and kept referring to his benders as 'good times'.

For those struggling to except that he is remorsefull and that the documentry sends the wrong message, keep in mind , that the only part of the doco which appears to be in recent times , post returning to footy is when he is dressed in the grey suit sitting down . When dressed in the red t-shirt to
Possibly wrongly switches from past to current commentary / interviews , which does reduce the value of the message !

Yeah, I think the switching between 'old' Ben and 'new' Ben was confusing at times. I realise they were trying to show him at different stages but jumping back and forth made it hard to follow at times.

You're right...

It took me awhile to get the flow of when was footage was taken, and I think you're right. The hair is what confused me, but if you compare him from the red shirt when he still looks a little off in the face and seems jaded in his demeanour...to the grey suit, he looks so much healthier and optimistic now IMO.

Should of had dates on the footage.

Also have to remember that it was probably filmed as one entire doco, not to be split in two, hoping the second one helps to improve the message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon the first episode was a bit of a bore. The 2nd episode will be the good one. The first episode pretty much told us what we already knew.

I reckon the next episode will be good as we will hear from his family and the damge he has cause to their relationship. This will show what the real effect of his drug use had and one of the main reasons he sought help.

The one thing in the first episode i didnt know was that he jumped fences, ran on roof tops to escape the cops. Good effort.

Ben has now moved to the top of morell's "Most want to Punch in the Face List". Nathan from Packed to the Rafters and Lady Ga Ga coming in for the second and third spots.

Absolute first rate tool.

Did people really expect the show or Cousins to send across a message that drugs arn't fun or that they don't make the user feel absolutely magnificent?

The description of being "high" is not an accident.

Drugs make many people feel absolutely fricken fantastic when they are on them. That's why they take them and that's one of the reasons people become addicted to them.

You can't expect Ben to not say that when he was on them he was having the time of his life. You can't just say "drugs are bad" like the South Park counsellor because that message doesn't work. Drugs are often great fun but it's the repercussions that are bad.

The first episode gave a lot of background but only touched on the repercussions and i expect that it is the second episode that puts the focus on that important element more.

IMHO the documentary should never have been split into 2 parts as that part of the message may get lost on some people.

If they really wanted to get across the real effect of drug use they should have followed some junkie who lost all his money to fuel his addiction and ended up dying alone on the street with needles in his arms. That's a much more likely scenario for most people than what happened to Ben Cousins.

Alternatively, just show The Wire.

I thought it was a bit of media sensationalism when they said he was the best on the ground in his comeback game. Decided to check it out, as I couldn't recall off the top of my head if that was the case.

22 kicks, 16 handpasses, 6 marks, 5 tackles.

As someone who was a bit young and ignorant to appreciate the significance of the events in 2006/07/08, I was a bit shocked to discover that his drug use began at such a young age. My perception of Cousins when he was aged 17 is far different to reality.

If he was taking drugs from the age of 17 and during his time at the WCE.

Why isn't he stripped of his awards, B&F's,Brownlows etc? ala Marion Jones @ Sydney 2000 :confused:

If he was taking drugs from the age of 17 and during his time at the WCE.

Why isn't he stripped of his awards, B&F's,Brownlows etc? ala Marion Jones @ Sydney 2000 :confused:
Because he wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs?

Seem like entertainment and not education. At any time did Channel 7 bill this as an educational tool? I think there are far better materials available.

I think the inner message from Part 1 is pretty clear to me. The club built him up to be some kind of indestructible person and he started to believe it himself.

His constant drug taking started to impact his thought process so much that he became dependent on the stuff. That clip of him spaced out having face twitches leaning against the wall showed how a indestructible person had become vulnerable and weak.

But how do they know that?

Wouldn't taking any drugs, change your performance on the field? :rolleyes:

Yes - it would make you play worse.

Coke, speed, valium, xanax and ecstacy certainly are not performance enhancing and anyone who thinks they are has never taken them before.

You would just be too scattered to think straight especially these days with the amount of knowledge a player has to go into a game with regarding rotations, zones etc.

If they really wanted to get across the real effect of drug use they should have followed some junkie who lost all his money to fuel his addiction and ended up dying alone on the street with needles in his arms. That's a much more likely scenario for most people than what happened to Ben Cousins.

Well it isn't really a more likely scenario. There are hundreds of thousands of drug addicts and only a minute percentage end up dying by overdose. Generally about a thousand per year nation wide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back