Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's pretty easy drafting Rowell & Anderson 1 &2, but bloody hell the lads have done a great job with Jy @ 60.

Mature, hard working leader who is fully committed and looking after our younger indigenous boys.

We got an absolute steal at Pick 60.

He's on field attributes are very unique and it's crazy how he over took Jack Bowes for that same spot in our defence.

Hopefully cracks in even harder this year and signs a long term contract

Really interesting.
As I’ve mentioned before my wife does a bit of work in remote NT and been to Wadeye before.

They had to cancel the last session at the hospital due to large scale fighting when she was last there a few years ago.

Good to see our trying to do positive things for communities. Particularly troubled ones like wadeye!

How good is that! When you've lived the 'city life' for your entire existence I think it's easy to overlook how much footy means to some of these remote communities and the power it has to unite people. Proud of Jye for giving back to a remote community (especially one that's not his own) and I hope we as a club continue to give back to local communities all around Australia when we have the opportunity. Interestingly, Wadeye isn't a part of our zone (it falls under Hawthorn's zone) but this was obviously about more than fostering talent for our club. Long may this continue for all clubs in the AFL!

Just shows how poorly we were setup

Great to hear Will talking up the Coast "How could you not want to play there? No one knows who you are. The weather is incredible, the beaches are incredible and the restaurants are incredible." He's not wrong. The Coast is the best place to live in Australia.

This is being discussed in the thread 'will AFL overtake NRL in Queensland' and have been discussing there the mistake the AFL made in not going with Southport, instead of a brand new franchise.

I feel like this is the first time I've heard it being said in any kind of media about how bum a rap we copped with our set up, Not saying we haven't done our fair share of shooting ourselves in the foot but at the same time when the set up is that bad. No amount of top picks is going to fix that.

This is being discussed in the thread 'will AFL overtake NRL in Queensland' and have been discussing there the mistake the AFL made in not going with Southport, instead of a brand new franchise.
The way it was always explained to me and SUNS correct me if im wrong as you're more ITK. Is that the decision to not go with Southport for the AFL bid was down to not wanting to alienate the rest of the footy community on the coast and forcing them to cheer for Southport would have left us in a bigger hole than we already ended up being in. With the fresh identity while it would take longer to get embedded would be a club for all SEQ footy fans below the Logan Line could get behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like this is the first time I've heard it being said in any kind of media about how bum a rap we copped with our set up, Not saying we haven't done our fair share of shooting ourselves in the foot but at the same time when the set up is that bad. No amount of top picks is going to fix that.

The way it was always explained to me and SUNS correct me if im wrong as you're more ITK. Is that the decision to not go with Southport for the AFL bid was down to not wanting to alienate the rest of the footy community on the coast and forcing them to cheer for Southport would have left us in a bigger hole than we already ended up being in. With the fresh identity while it would take longer to get embedded would be a club for all SEQ footy fans below the Logan Line could get behind.
That's what I've always heard.

Very similar to the Adelaide Crows expansion where the rest of the SANFL teamed up to make sure that Port Adelaide wouldn't get the first South Australian AFL licence.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think at the time this seemed a reasonable decision, but when you find out they were so unprepared they had no facilities, no money, no winning culture to build off and built a stadium in the middle of nowhere, that I think significantly outweighs a small percentage of initial local clubs fans not wanting to support the gold coast sharks.

I think in the end it was sorted and the suns will be successful soon, but bloody hell, Demetriou and Fitzpatrick had no idea what they were doing, completely clueless.

Hi Team,

This week on Turnover the Tape we dive into the Swans game, look at players they have that worry us, if our injured stars will be back in time, and will history play a part in us winning?

In the second part, we reply to some listeners that got in touch the past week!

Thanks for Listening,
K

Last edited:
Charlie Dixon on his time at the Suns

Charlie Dixon on his time at the Suns

Dixon confirms in that podcast that he did intend to come back to us after his 5 year contract ended with Port. We'd always heard the rumours that he was desperately homesick and had every intention to come back to the Gold Coast but to actually hear him say those words is interesting. We certainly could have used him in those 2019-2020 seasons when we lost Lynch & May and were a very young team that really needed a few mature players to lead the way. Plus, Dicko was an All-Australian in that 2020 season so clearly he was playing some exceptional footy at the time but then the trade off there is we potentially finish higher on the ladder and miss out on players like Rowell and Anderson.

Pros and cons either way but I wonder if there's still a small part of Charlie that wants to come back to the GC. Not that we need him right now, but it would feel somewhat fitting to have our first ever signing / first ever goal kicker taking part in a finals campaign for us. Maybe that's just me being nostalgic for seeing Dixon in the red and gold though. I know others on here totally disagree and are more than happy to never see Charlie in a red and gold jumper again.

Dixon confirms in that podcast that he did intend to come back to us after his 5 year contract ended with Port. We'd always heard the rumours that he was desperately homesick and had every intention to come back to the Gold Coast but to actually hear him say those words is interesting. We certainly could have used him in those 2019-2020 seasons when we lost Lynch & May and were a very young team that really needed a few mature players to lead the way. Plus, Dicko was an All-Australian in that 2020 season so clearly he was playing some exceptional footy at the time but then the trade off there is we potentially finish higher on the ladder and miss out on players like Rowell and Anderson.

Pros and cons either way but I wonder if there's still a small part of Charlie that wants to come back to the GC. Not that we need him right now, but it would feel somewhat fitting to have our first ever signing / first ever goal kicker taking part in a finals campaign for us. Maybe that's just me being nostalgic for seeing Dixon in the red and gold though. I know others on here totally disagree and are more than happy to never see Charlie in a red and gold jumper again.
I don't dislike Dicko. Loved him when he played for us.

He doesn't deserve that privelege though.

Not enough list spots to take him with all the academy Gold coming through

Bob on fire

New Suns boss promises unprecedented success​

East, who will officially take over the role from long-time chairman Tony Cochrane after this Saturday’s round 1 clash against Sydney, has set his sights on getting the Suns to play finals football and deliver sold out crowds at Heritage Bank Stadium.

And his final bold mission is to dismantle the Brisbane Lions’ status as the number one club in Queensland
“Now we’ve moved into the capitalisation stage. We need to make sure that everyone knows what we want to do - and that is to be successful in finals football.
“There’s no point shying away from that. We’re not here to make up the numbers.
“We’re not here just because it’s nice to have another side in Queensland.
“We want to be really successful and that means beating our neighbours up the road (the Brisbane Lions), and beating the best clubs down south.

“We will be doing things that are brave, we will be doing things that are bold, sometimes I’m sure I’ll be front and centre and other times … I’m sure the community would like to hear from other people in the organisation.

“When I was running my businesses, I did have people in my organisation quite nervous about I was going to say.

8327f38539b5a12b5e9558e5566312f0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back