Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a D rating is fair, while we showed some improvements, it was a pretty much a same-same season to what we have had, fallen in a heap post bye, and too many parts of the ground failing. Hardwick has a huge job on his hands getting us up the next step, don't think we are going to attract enough talent in to make a fast change.

I agree he’s a really good player but his tackling sucks and I just can’t have the club leader being poor at it.

I’ll never stop harping on about tackling. When I visually see us sticking tackles I know we are on that day and will beat our opposition.

It’s my personal KPI.
your dead right

A constant frustration for Suns fans and footy pundits this year was Gold Coast’s inefficiency forward of centre. They ranked last in the competition for kick inside 50 retention percentage, while they were also bottom three for scores per inside 50 percentage and forward 50 groundball differential.
What they need

Some class with ball in-hand. The Suns didn’t have one player inside the top 40 rated kicks (based on kick rating) across the competition.
Hi everyone, I come in peace. I honestly want the Suns to succeed so that the game grows in Queensland.

Relating to the quotes above, it struck me, isn't this something Lukosius could provide? He's supposed to be an excellent field kick. I imagine there's a reason why Hardwick isn't putting him on the wing to deliver the ball inside 50?

Hi everyone, I come in peace. I honestly want the Suns to succeed so that the game grows in Queensland.

Relating to the quotes above, it struck me, isn't this something Lukosius could provide? He's supposed to be an excellent field kick. I imagine there's a reason why Hardwick isn't putting him on the wing to deliver the ball inside 50?

Because jack wants to play forward

Yeah, high half forward/wing like last year when he played well. Some people say he does not have a tank for it but I am not convinced that's correct.

Sure, his body language is not great often. It was painful to watch sometimes on Sat, still he scored 2 goals and should have 1-2 more.

I think we don't use him properly, probably does not fit into Dimma's plan. Dimma probably does not like his softness in contest as a lot of fans. We got other talls to accommodate in coming years.

Often Luko runs into great positions but is just ignored by teammates. Sat was typical example highlighted by commentators when Luko sprayed Miller who completely ignored him running alone into 50. Luko was way better option despite Long marked the ball and scored.

I think he's gone.

Last edited:
Noah Anderson
Never previously All-Australian
Squad member 2023

Sam Collins
Never previously squad member

Noah Anderson
Squad member 2023

Sam Collins
Never previously squad member

Fingers crossed both Noah and Collo get the recognition they deserve come Thursday night. Both are worthy of the blazer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Rowell
The Suns’ contested bull is the top-ranked player in the AFL Player Ratings not in the squad - and he’s not exactly low, sitting 11th overall!
In that all-encompassing metric Rowell sits ahead of midfielders like Hayden Young, Adam Treloar, Zach Merrett, Chad Warner and perhaps most notably teammate Noah Anderson.
The former No.1 pick was third in the AFL for contested possessions (322), fifth for clearances (163) and No.1 for pressure acts (30.7 per game). But it’s perhaps his lack of versatility that cost him, with Rowell a dominant contested player but not shining so brightly away from the hustle and bustle.
Sam Flanders
What a breakout season this Suns star had.
Sam Flanders is the number three ranked medium defender in the AFL Playing Ratings this season, ahead of the likes of Dan Houston, Max Holmes, Bailey Dale, Nick Blakey and Dayne Zorko, who were all selected in the All-Australian squad of 40.
Flanders averaged 30.9 disposals this season – ranked equal second in the competition – and was a key architect for Damien Hardwick’s Gold Coast side this year.

I thought Noah had a better year last year.

Good to see his floor is the AA squad

He’ll poll well in the Brownlow, all home games
Often you don't see guys get accolades until the year following a great season.

Esp up here.

Noble and Rioli will really boost our HB run.
Move Weller permanently to a Wing.

Sent from my SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
changes the whole complexion of our team AND ability to implement a fast attacking rebounding game plan, neither of those two will be happy kicking it long down the line, they both always look to take the game on

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back