Autopsy SUNS V Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

They would have looked long and hard at Jack Bowes too I reckon
Very true. He looked absolutely cooked in the China game.

What saves Bowes is his flexibility to play pretty much anywhere on the ground. They probably think a rest off will do him the world of good.

Lyons will be back in very soon with a couple of huge games in the NEAFL I tip. Imagine playing NEAFL and lining up on Lyons and Barlow. :O Hard day at the office there.

An injury was known though with Barlow Lyons is just speculation. I think he'll tear it up then come back next week.
I was at the Ballarat match and saw Lyons hobbling around the forward line. Confirmed when I watched the replay. When he wasn't on the bench, he was a 2nd half passenger. Looked like a foot issue or ankle. He couldn't move well and tried to compensate by laying tackles, but the Dogs just started to overrun the midfield when they realised he was done. Like half the Suns injuries, it won't be reported until he actually starts to miss games.

One thing Brodie can do is rip into stoppages and get clearances, even if they're junk hack clearances. Our ability in the contest lately has been lacking and Brodie will help with that. As a taller mid he offers a point of difference too. Just needs to clean up his ball use IMO but he's a good in.

I like the matchups. Swallow on Ablett, Miller on Selwood, Rory on Hawkins. I suspect Holman will go to Dangerfield, Bowes might be a better fit for Menegola, and Witts is gonna kill Stanley, while you wonder what kind of havoc Lynch can wreak when Blicavs and Day chop out in the ruck.
Yep, happy with a team. Time to get a great win. Please, can someone run through Ablett?

I was at the Ballarat match and saw Lyons hobbling around the forward line. Confirmed when I watched the replay. When he wasn't on the bench, he was a 2nd half passenger. Looked like a foot issue or ankle. He couldn't move well and tried to compensate by laying tackles, but the Dogs just started to overrun the midfield when they realised he was done. Like half the Suns injuries, it won't be reported until he actually starts to miss games.
That was a awhile ago. Thompson also went off injured and he's fine. I'm certain it's because of form that Dew isn't happy with.

I don't know why people complain about Lyon out , I rather he is rest properly than playing sore and injured himself during match . This team got a lot of speed , hopefully they used it instead of long bomb. Lyons is pretty ordinary recently also with his disposal .

Very true. He looked absolutely cooked in the China game.

What saves Bowes is his flexibility to play pretty much anywhere on the ground. They probably think a rest off will do him the world of good.

Lyons will be back in very soon with a couple of huge games in the NEAFL I tip. Imagine playing NEAFL and lining up on Lyons and Barlow. :O Hard day at the office there.
Suns2 play Southport so it's just as well there are 7 players returning to NEAFL availability in addition to the 8 AFL listed guys who travelled to Darwin. I'm assuming that Jacob Dawson will be the activated emergency, although being a home fixture that could decide on Match day fitness tests.

Bowes couldn't have been far from being dropped, but I imagine the bye saved him. Perhaps a utility role could be just what he needs to rediscover early season form?

He has had pretty low ToG for a while.

China: 78%
Melbourne: 73%
Dogs: 65%
Crows: 75%

For a full-time mid this isn't long enough. I'm not sure if he was injured and couldn't train so lost fitness but played through it or what, but someone like Lyons needs to be playing 80% I would have thought? So we can build his fitness up now and then unleash him later.

I don't know why people complain about Lyon out , I rather he is rest properly than playing sore and injured himself during match . This team got a lot of speed , hopefully they used it instead of long bomb. Lyons is pretty ordinary recently also with his disposal .
Wouldn't a proper rest be an actual rest? Not NEAFL where he has less support around him?

I'd back Brodie over Lyons at the moment
Not sure this team can beat Geelong but I am sure it's a team heading in the right direction- and it's been a while since I could honestly say that
It certainly feels like watching a new team with Ainsworth and Brodie rotating through the mids. Ainsworth in the middle has looked Zorko-esque. Just adds something there that we don't have with how he bounces around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a awhile ago. Thompson also went off injured and he's fine. I'm certain it's because of form that Dew isn't happy with.
Think about how thinly stretched the team was after Ballarat. Another omission and it would have been 100 point losses.

Ainsworth in the middle has looked Zorko-esque.
;)
14341833330031.jpg

He has had pretty low ToG for a while.

China: 78%
Melbourne: 73%
Dogs: 65%
Crows: 75%

For a full-time mid this isn't long enough. I'm not sure if he was injured and couldn't train so lost fitness but played through it or what, but someone like Lyons needs to be playing 80% I would have thought? So we can build his fitness up now and then unleash him later.
Even with 3 sub-par games, Lyons is still the Suns highest possession accumulator of the season.

Can't be a pace thing if Brodie is his replacment
Politely disagree. Lyons is a great player and offers us a lot when on, but he is extremely slow when running around. It's glacial. Brodie has him covered there quite easily.

Interesting facts :
Suns are 3rd ranked in total clearances in the league - but nearly all of these are stoppage clearances.
They are ranked 16th in Centre Clearances.. and that with a relatively potent Ruckman (who had 13 stoppage clearances himself last game)
Against Port - Swallow had 3 centre clearances, Lyons 1, Weller 1 , Holman 1 , Touk 0 , Ainsworth 0. That's 6 of 54 total clearances.
So Brodie is definitely worth a go and maybe Dawson also....

Like most am surprised by Lyons omission (has been average last couple of games).
To me this is a very ordinary looking Geelong team except for that star studded foursome.
If they get on top early not sure we have many options to counter them.
Real baptism of fire for Miller Ainsworth and Brodie just to see how they go against some
of the real elite of the competition.
If we get near matching them around the contest we will be a realistic chance.
Glad to see Brodie get his chance.

What does Lyons need to do, to get back into the side that Barlow hasn't been doing all year?
Hit targets by foot. Which he can. Never been Barlow's go though unfortunately.

To be honest I don't think this is Brodie's go either. :|

Politely disagree. Lyons is a great player and offers us a lot when on, but he is extremely slow when running around. It's glacial. Brodie has him covered there quite easily.
Don't get me wrong I love that he's finally getting a game but I've watched a few of Brodie's neafl games live this year love him but he is one of the slowest players I have seen

Hit targets by foot. Which he can. Never been Barlow's go though unfortunately.

To be honest I don't think this is Brodie's go either. :|
Brodie is the future and Barlow might be gone end of the year. If Brodie can't improve his footskill , at least improve his chemistry with his teammates .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy SUNS V Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back