Swans' academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the recruitment of Tippett, simple.

Franklin just sent it over the top. I bet the Swans administration had no idea the ramifications that their own actions would take. The other 17 clubs are coming for everything now. COLA is done, academies in the gun now, next will be the ambassador payments and finally the new rental assistance.
Yes we lifted our heads up and dared to dream.

Oh well.
It's far more fun to reach for the sky. I am pretty sure Hawthorn does the same.

And watching Eddie is hilarious. No one in Victoria seems to realise that the Emperor is not wearing clothes.

I think the whole process is wrong for both FS and academy picks. Instead of the other clubs bidding i think the clubs eligible to the player should have to bid and if a team bids a pick that is in a higher round then they get the player. I think this would be 100% fair for FS academy picks maybe not so much. The whole problem with the system currently is it's not a fair system to begin with. All teams should have the same salary cap and if you want to use the draft as an equalisation measure then you can't have so many ways in which teams can get extra advantages and continue to stack things in the favour of rugby states.

I'm very much near the point where i hate the afl but love my club and footy. I may need to just tie myself more closely to my WAFL and local club affiliates.

I think the whole process is wrong for both FS and academy picks. Instead of the other clubs bidding i think the clubs eligible to the player should have to bid and if a team bids a pick that is in a higher round then they get the player. I think this would be 100% fair for FS academy picks maybe not so much. The whole problem with the system currently is it's not a fair system to begin with. All teams should have the same salary cap and if you want to use the draft as an equalisation measure then you can't have so many ways in which teams can get extra advantages and continue to stack things in the favour of rugby states.

I'm very much near the point where i hate the afl but love my club and footy. I may need to just tie myself more closely to my WAFL and local club affiliates.
Don't hate the AFL.

Seriously - there is so much negative banter. Just enjoy the game.

In regards to the Academy. The only problem from the Swans perspective is that they have invested millions based on these set of rules (which were signed off by the clubs).

If there were a different set of rules in place, they would probably have put the money elsewhere.

The only fair answer is for the AFL to pay for the Academies and for everyone to get equal access.

That way everyone benefits.

No, it was just Hawkins, and it was also noted we got Selwood with our first round pick that year then won the flag by a record margin. Ablett and Scarlett weren't rated much higher than 3rd round picks as juniors.

Would the people rating Ablett and Scarlett as 3rd rounders be the same people rating Heeney as a top 5 pick? Why would their judgement be taken seriously given how wrong it has proven? Or it it just hyperbole by vested interests (which ALL supporters have in bias for their own club)?

Just go to show how difficult an issue rating a potential draft position is before the time an actual 'bid' is made. What if there are other juniors (especially key position forwards or ruckmen) in the academies who are late developers who end up being rated much better?

Maybe an option to address the cries of 'unfairness' of a draft 'bargain' is to instigate a 'cost', such as:

• reduction in future free agency compensation;
  • financial contribution to an equalisation fund;
  • being precluded from using a 1st round pick on an academy player in a future draft etc.
This 'cost' could be applied when an academy draftee or father/son selection actually reaches or achieves certain milestones. These milestones could be based upon games played (eg at 50 and 150) and awards received (club best and fairest, All-Australian etc).

This would mean that a club taking priority access to an academy player or father/son - REALLY rates them and is prepared for a potential future 'cost' for the privilege. Any player drafted as a rookie should be exempt from the above 'cost regime' as all clubs would have had an opportunity to draft that player in the draft.

It would also mean that the academies get to continue offering Australian Rules as a viable option for talented young sports people in NSW and Queensland.

I hope that wiser heads than mine think about to long term opportunities, rather than taking a short-term knee-jerk position in response to two talented young men currently being linked to, at this time, a successful Sydney team.

Regards
Justice

Would the people rating Ablett and Scarlett as 3rd rounders be the same people rating Heeney as a top 5 pick? Why would their judgement be taken seriously given how wrong it has proven? Or it it just hyperbole by vested interests (which ALL supporters have in bias for their own club)?

Mick Turner is on record in Ablett's draft year that he was an average junior. No one would have known he would have turned out to be the player he became, was even big doubts on his career early days.

Mick Turner is on record in Ablett's draft year that he was an average junior. No one would have known he would have turned out to be the player he became, was even big doubts on his career early days.
And then you have Jack Watts, universally rated number 1.

Yep, really confident in the people rating the draftees :rolleyes:

And then you have Jack Watts, universally rated number 1.

Yep, really confident in the people rating the draftees :rolleyes:

You do realise who Mick Turner is? He was Ablett's coach at the Geelong U18 side.

His opinion on Ablett was validated by his junior performances and his early career at Geelong. No one in their right mind who saw Ablett play in his draft year could have said he would turn out to be the player he became.

He was a mile behind Judd, Hodge & Ball in his draft year.

You do realise who Mick Turner is? He was Ablett's coach at the Geelong U18 side.

His opinion on Ablett was validated by his junior performances and his early career at Geelong. No one in their right mind who saw Ablett play in his draft year could have said he would turn out to be the player he became.

He was a mile behind Judd, Hodge & Ball in his draft year.
That's not the point. The point is, rating of draftees is pretty hit and miss. Putting a value scale is difficult, when judging the potential of each is so uncertain.

So what are they going to rate Heeney? Pick 1 (Jack Watts), pick 20 (Nat Fyfe), pick 40 (Luke Parker), third rounder (Ablett)... Who decides, and how?

That's not the point. The point is, rating of draftees is pretty hit and miss. Putting a value scale is difficult, when judging the potential of each is so uncertain.

So what are they going to rate Heeney? Pick 1 (Jack Watts), pick 20 (Nat Fyfe), pick 40 (Luke Parker), third rounder (Ablett)... Who decides, and how?

I'm sure someone has better figures but I'd estimate that top 5 picks have about 90% chance of a good career, next 5% around 80% and then it's less than 50%. That's why people are so upset with the idea of Heeney going for pick 18 and why it would be fair to have to add a second rounder. It's true that some top 5 don't work out but not that many. There are many examples of 'they could have taken Buddy instead of Tambling' because of this but on average high draft picks work out. Number one picks are over rated and Watts is the best example of that with ridiculous expectations.

The Swans have a pretty ordinary track record with first round picks but an exceptional one with third round, rookies and trading in. Therefore if next year we have to part with first, second, third and fourth round picks to get Mills and Dunkley I won't be too bothered because we have some good talented rookies that can be upgraded.

Don't hate the AFL.

In regards to the Academy. The only problem from the Swans perspective is that they have invested millions based on these set of rules (which were signed off by the clubs).

If there were a different set of rules in place, they would probably have put the money elsewhere.

The only fair answer is for the AFL to pay for the Academies and for everyone to get equal access.

That way everyone benefits.

Why not?

It's a league that favours certain teams in order to push a commerical advantage. Where is the interest in that?

I still like the idea of every club having a rookie list spot for NSW/QLD players only (even if its on top of current rookie numbers). It brings a guaranteed number into the AFL system, most wont make it, but will go back home having a years minimum in an elite environment. Those returning players will be great for coaching and growing the game. Clubs could gamble on athletic freaks that aren't quite up to professional rugby's etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The academies are an essential tool to keep the comp equal. The northern state sides have little to no chance of benefitting from the go home factor because the fact is there is not enough talent coming through those parts of australia. This whole outcry over the academies is purely based on timing. The swans are one of the top teams right not and it just so happens that a few gems are coming through in the next few years . If we were bottom, no one would care what young players were coming through. Regardless of the ladder position of the club , the academy system doesn't change. No one said boo when the academy wasn't producing talent, and it may not produce potential top 10 talent again.

The last f/s the swans got was Mitchell and before that was swan dempster in 2002. The f/a is a recruitment tool the swans have not had a lot of access to unlike other clubs like Geelong with Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett , bombers with Watson and daniher or even eddies under piveleged club where they have got trav cloke, heath and rhys shaw

The academies are an essential tool to keep the comp equal. The northern state sides have little to no chance of benefitting from the go home factor because the fact is there is not enough talent coming through those parts of australia. This whole outcry over the academies is purely based on timing. The swans are one of the top teams right not and it just so happens that a few gems are coming through in the next few years . If we were bottom, no one would care what young players were coming through. Regardless of the ladder position of the club , the academy system doesn't change. No one said boo when the academy wasn't producing talent, and it may not produce potential top 10 talent again.

The last f/s the swans got was Mitchell and before that was swan dempster in 2002. The f/a is a recruitment tool the swans have not had a lot of access to unlike other clubs like Geelong with Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett , bombers with Watson and daniher or even eddies under piveleged club where they have got trav cloke, heath and rhys shaw
Sydney not having got a lot of quality F/S is not an argument that they should have an academy. St Kilda haven't had a father son since 1992, but they don't get an academy. Sydney clearly has something attractive about it to have brought in so many big names recently, for a club which is so "ravaged" by homesickness :rolleyes:

Don't hate the AFL.

I don't speak for everyone, but mate, at the moment I get the impression many folks are at the point where their interest in the game begins and ends with the club they support.

over the years, the AFL have put their focus on generating false BS marketing driven blockbuster hype for matches. in reality, there are now very few matches where a neutral can put a highlighter though a match-up in the lead up to a weekend's set of matches not involving the club they support because there are very few matches that generate real excitement now.

i'll compare this to a league such as the NFL where many teams are so evenly matched and a weekend of games is phenomenal. They have a draft where all clubs operate under the same rules, they have an equal salary cap for all 32 teams, they allow trading up to Wk 6 or 8 of the season, and they have a FA system with qualifying criteria much less stringent than that of the AFL which allows clubs that are near the bottom one season to boost their improvement the following season. They have financial equalisation measures to help small market clubs, but the way each and every team recruits a player is EXACTLY THE ****ING SAME! The resources available to build their roster is equivalent across the league, whether they are in football heartland such as the Dallas Cowboys, or whether they are in Baseball and basketball strongholds like Boston and New York.

The disparity between clubs in the AFL with the resources available to them to build their lists has lost me. Ironic eh considering the club I support benefits so much out of it.

The introduction of the new clubs has skewed the league badly too because of the awful way they were permitted to build their lists - by compromising the way every other club could build their own lists during this period. Teams that were down the bottom have remained there for the last few years, same with the ones in the middle, and those at the top - all for an exception or two like Port.

fair point. the AFL ****ed up in their role as competition administrator by using the league as a pawn for their role as governing body. There's an argument that the AFL being both has been a big reason for the growth in the game. But the perception is that the league is less a sporting competition and more a strategic tool to boost expansion. With 5 premierships going north of the murray in 11 seasons, it's pretty hard to argue against it.

A reason why academies are needed. Admittedly they are only rumours but there is a possibility that all 3 of GWS's big key forwards want to leave Sydney and go back home. Not to mention a couple of their better midfielders as well. But then of course as we know expansion clubs are not at all harmed by the go home factor.

Carlton is said to have used the cheque book to buy success... bull just bull...60-70% of our top players came through our academy. The last being Koutoufides, Christou, Ratten.. Maclure, Doull, Jesalenko, Harmes etc etc all came through the Carlton academy they weren't bought.,.. its just that when Carlton bought they bought the best and bought big. What Sydney is doing today.. extra cool million to play with is a big deal.

A reason why academies are needed. Admittedly they are only rumours but there is a possibility that all 3 of GWS's big key forwards want to leave Sydney and go back home. Not to mention a couple of their better midfielders as well. But then of course as we know expansion clubs are not at all harmed by the go home factor.

if the team I played for got belted every 2nd week with my only allegiance to them being that i was ranked at the point of their selection in the draft, then I'd want to leave too.

It was the recruitment of Tippett, simple.

Franklin just sent it over the top. I bet the Swans administration had no idea the ramifications that their own actions would take. The other 17 clubs are coming for everything now. COLA is done, academies in the gun now, next will be the ambassador payments and finally the new rental assistance.
Good.

Sydney not having got a lot of quality F/S is not an argument that they should have an academy. St Kilda haven't had a father son since 1992, but they don't get an academy. Sydney clearly has something attractive about it to have brought in so many big names recently, for a club which is so "ravaged" by homesickness :rolleyes:

We're going alright , hey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans' academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back