Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it been done when the afl have as much money as they do now? If they can sink so much money into gws and Gold Coast I'm sure they could fund a simple academy. We all know the reason why it is the way it is, they need the northern teams to be competitive so they will give them any leg up that they can.
You have no idea how they work nor on the topic of development in the northern states and as such your typical "derr leg up" deserves to be mocked and your opinion ignored.

You have no idea how they work nor on the topic of development in the northern states and as such your typical "derr leg up" deserves to be mocked and your opinion ignored.

Will you guys get one of the best midfielders in the draft for a pick in the late teens this year because nobody else can get that kid if the swans want him? Please explain to me how that isn't a leg up...

Will you guys get one of the best midfielders in the draft for a pick in the late teens this year because nobody else can get that kid if the swans want him? Please explain to me how that isn't a leg up...
I fail to see the point in arguing for the disbanding of the NSW academy or suggesting that all clubs get equal access to its players.
If that happened we'd simply see more highly-touted Sydney recruits losing their draft papers.

The AFL will always find ways and means to give NSW teams a leg up. Close down one benefit like the COLA and they'll simply open another.

Who's a highly touted Sydney recruit who lost their papers?
There haven't been any. He's referring to Kieren Jack but he wasn't highly touted and his argument fails.

And now we do and it's yet another unfair advantage the swans get.
TBF, it's not just us who gets it.

Most of the NSW-born players would fall under the GWS umbrella anyway.

Well, we've invested tons of money in this system, and there will be players that benefit from this investment that will end up playing at other clubs, so...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really rate Parker, reckon in a few years he will be the best of the lot after Kennedy of course.

Mids
Hanners
JK3
K.Jack
C.Bird
J.Lloyd (Dont know where to put him yet. played d for the 2's, a great forward 50 entry kick and plays a bit of wing)

Back/Midfield
McVeigh

Forwards/Midfield
B.Mcglynn
L.Parker
Cunningham

Playing Reserves
T.Mitchell
ROK
Z.Jones
G.Hewett
L.Perris
S.Biggs

Scary thing is all these guys would be playing league footy at other clubs.

Throw in Robinson, Heeney, Towers, B.Jack etc and the Swan's have got far and above the best midfield in the league depth wise

Clearly the AFL and "the government" (and probably the taxpayer) disagree with you given they have failed to do so to an adequate degree for the past 30 years.

Have the afl ever had as much money as they do now? Are you saying the afl can't afford something that the swans can? We all know why the academy is there, to hopefully one day provide the northern states with a local marquee player. The afl isnt about a fair competition anymore it's all about marketing.

Are you saying the afl can't afford something that the swans can?
How about you provide your argument and basis instead of trying to create an argument entirely out of questioning. Go on, how much would it cost the AFL to start up and run academies encompassing two of the country's biggest and most populous states WITHOUT using existing club staff or infrastructure.

As interesting as the banter about academy players is, could we possibly chat about our existing midfield? Eg discuss trade values etc etc etc.

Been knocking around a few boards and so far in regards to midfielders:

Bris: Suggestion of Mitchell for 1. Would definitely do it personally. Loathe to let a F/S go but the possibilities that it would provide us ...

WCE: On marsh, would probably take a bag of chips to get him across

And now we do and it's yet another unfair advantage the swans get.

And now I suddenly care that the grand final will be in Melbourne even if Port, Sydney or Freo finish on top. I also now care that AFL players in Melbourne have a much higher chance of making money from sponsorships, being regular guests on footy shows etc.

The thing about caring is no one cares. The game isn't even. Never will be.

Have the afl ever had as much money as they do now? Are you saying the afl can't afford something that the swans can? We all know why the academy is there, to hopefully one day provide the northern states with a local marquee player. The afl isnt about a fair competition anymore it's all about marketing.

I can't speak for the other three academies (though I expect they are similar) but the Swans' academy is being largely funded by sponsorship. QBE jumped on board as the main sponsor of the Swans academy, extending their existing sponsorship of the club. Maybe the AFL could have similarly secured sponsorship to fund the programme, but I would suggest that QBE, specifically, see more commercial benefit in strengthening their ties to the Swans (even further) than by associating themselves with an AFL run scheme. I believe the Swans Foundation (which is funded by donations from Swans supporters) is also supporting the academy financially. No doubt the AFL and NSWAFL is also chipping in some funding.

I suggest you have very little idea of what the academies schemes are setting out to achieve. While Isaac Heeney might be the one attracting sports page attention, the schemes go far far deeper. Hundreds of athletically kids from age 10-11 are getting the opportunity for a structured AFL development programme. This is something very few of them get via school sports programmes or vibrant local junior clubs, unlike their counterparts in Victoria, SA and WA. There are a few junior clubs in NSW but nothing like what is available in the traditional states. As the kids get older, the size of the groups gets whittled down as "more elite" standards are imposed. By the last couple of years of underage football, the size of the group is limited to 20-30 or so. Even the vast majority of these players will never get drafted, but their readiness to compete at U18 level against the other states and in the TAC Cup will be improved. Hopefully many of those who don't reach AFL standard will still keep playing in the NEAFL or other second tier competitions as they get older, thereby improving the standard of lower tier competitions in NSW and Queensland. A small handful may graduate onto senior lists of the four northern clubs.

In terms of a "marquee" local player, the Swans, at least, are not relying on the Academy to produce this. Paul Kelly and Brett Kirk are already club Hall of Famers. Both our current co-captains are locals. McVeigh was the last "top quality" U18 player to be drafted from NSW. Jack, in contrast, was the very last live pick in the rookie draft in his year, and is a classic example of a NSW player who didn't have the same development opportunities as a teenager and had to fast track his development once he hit an AFL list. His younger brother started playing the game even later and probably wouldn't have ever developed to get onto an AFL list had it not been for the Academy programme. He was still very much a speculative late pick (ie on the rookie list) when he did get his chance.

I can't disagree with the marketing comment. But honestly, the Academy is not that great an advantage. When you consider the amount the Swans have invested, picking up a couple of NSW players with slightly lower picks isn't the greatest return on investment. It's not terrible but it's not exactly a huge boon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back