Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell and Towers for our first pick perhaps?

Anyway, like I said it all depends on who you rate and whether our pick can get you there somehow.

We'll undoubtably want to get a shot at a decent KPP this year and your pick/s would definately put us in the right bracket to get what we want.

Funnily enough (considering all the current academy and go-home factor talk) I think we'll have trouble convincing some of our players they should move interstate - we might be limited on who we could offer up. It might come down to money you offer as they all know Sydney is a great club for development and we're in a window at the moment.

We all know about Tom Mitchell and Brandon Jack, what about some of the lesser lights doing well at NEAFL level?

Dean Towers
Zac Jones
Shane Biggs
Jake Lloyd
Lloyd Perris
Harrison Marsh
George Hewatt

Well Zac Jones showed signs last week and I rate Biggs hugely as he played a few games last year and he impressed me a lot. Lloyd Perris is probably going to be quite a good player once he puts some weight on.

We all know about Tom Mitchell and Brandon Jack, what about some of the lesser lights doing well at NEAFL level?

Dean Towers
Zac Jones
Shane Biggs
Jake Lloyd
Lloyd Perris
Harrison Marsh
George Hewatt

Only Towers (and possibly Biggs) comes out of contract at the end of this year and I don't think you'd find too many Swans supporters caring that much if he leaves.

Jake Lloyd has just about cemented a spot in our best 22, he's played the last 9 games for 9 wins.

Dean Towers
Zac Jones
Shane Biggs
Jake Lloyd
Lloyd Perris
Harrison Marsh
George Hewatt

Towers, honestly pretty disappointed in his output, he was obviously taken as an older player with our first round pick, and despite heavy injury tolls last year wasn't in the picture for a call up. Is played mainly as a medium forward/half fwd in the NEAFL, and would be unlikely to break into our team with Franklin, Tippett, Reid well ahead of him, not sure we'd be giving him away but doubt it would take too much to get him.

Jones, obviously debuted last week and looked pretty composed, can see him hanging around in and our of seniors until he can force a permanent roll in back line, replacing either Shaw or Malceski (we give 3yr contracts to first round draftees), very good defensively from all reports. Unlikely to be going anywhere after only just being drafted.

Biggs, played last year during our injury run and looked pretty good at AFL level, missed this years pre-season and is probably behind a couple of others now in the pecking order, may be worth having a look at for another side. I believe much like Jones we had an eye to play him out of the back line, whether that position is available or is a competition between him and Jones may determine his future, as this is his last year on rookie list.

Biggs is probably the one I'm most worried about, his football at end of 2013 was very good, and he was being groomed to take a spot in backline, would not be surprised if some clubs hadn already come knocking at his door.

Lloyd has been playing as part of our best 22 for a few weeks now, looks very good, likely we'd try hang onto him, however wouldn't blame another club from getting in his ear, fair bit of midfield talent around the Swans list and more coming.

Perris, has been very inconsistent, very good games mixed with terrible games, get some consistency and could be a gem, but at this stage would doubt there would be too much interest outside maybe Paul Roos who likes him, or moreso noone willing to give the sort of pick that would convince us to not just keep developing him ourselves.

Marsh, still early, looks ok has some decent pace and good disposal but a fair way back in the queue

Hewatt, pretty sure he was injured all last year, so has only really played half a year for ressie too early to call.

So in summary, could probably get Towers/Biggs, as a supporter not too concerned by Towers, but would hate to lose Biggs.
Most of the others were only drafted in 2013 or 2014 and still contracted, so would take a club paying overs to get them, which I dont think anyone would.

Hewatt, pretty sure he was injured all last year, so has only really played half a year for ressie too early to call.

Hardly injured all year last year. He was playing school, U18 and probably SANFL reserves football in Adelaide. We only drafted him at the end of last year!

Hewett and Jones are off limits in the near term. They are first years and both have shown plenty in our NEAFL side.

Perris, too, is too young to be thinking of trading out. He was given a two year contract up front as a rookie. He's been a little inconsistent this year but still has shown signs he can play. His size might count against him in the longer term, especially as he isn't overly quick. But he's got an excellent footy brain and his endurance is very good.

Marsh is probably 50/50 to keep his spot on the list for next year. He does have some AFL attributes and shows them in patches at NEAFL level. I think he still needs to lift his fitness another couple of notches before he stands a chance at senior AFL level. He might run out of time at the Swans but could be worth a shot at another club.

Towers has good athleticism - certainly his speed and jump are impressive. Not sure yet whether he has the nous to make it at AFL level. As a relatively mature recruit he needs to be dominating at NEAFL more often than he does. He flits in and out of games.

Towers would probably have received a game during this current run of injuries if he wasn't injured himself, he was emergency numerous times during the first 8 or so rounds.

I'm not as high on Biggs as others are, he's yet to be really tested defensively and while everyone says he's the perfect replacement for Shaw I don't agree as I don't think he has the same pace as Rhyce.

Few guys on the Adelaide board pretty keen on Rohan. With your great list of medium sized players, any chance we can just have him ;)

Doubt sydney will let him go to be honest, the club really value him and he really loves the club, when he gets his rod out should be back in our best 22.

Doubt sydney will let him go to be honest, the club really value him and he really loves the club, when he gets his rod out should be back in our best 22.
There is nobody in our best 22 I would drop for Gary Rohan. Not Jetta, McGlynn, Lloyd, Cunningham, Shaw, Malceski or Rampe, and those are the positions he is likely looking at.

There is nobody in our best 22 I would drop for Gary Rohan. Not Jetta, McGlynn, Lloyd, Cunningham, Shaw, Malceski or Rampe, and those are the positions he is likely looking at.

I made that suggestion thinking shaw might not play on the year after.

Rohan is pretty versatile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and Rohan re-signed with the club at the start of the season. He isn't looking to move

But die he sign thinking he'd be getting regular senior footy?

I don't want him, but trading disgruntled contracted players isn't exactly unprecedented

But did he sign thinking he'd be getting regular senior footy?

I don't want him, but trading disgruntled contracted players isn't exactly unprecedented
He's playing under duress it appears with the rod still in his leg. Having off season surgery to remove it?

Reckon both parties would want to see him have a proper pre-season and an unencumbered year before making decisions.

If Jack Package doesn't want him, we'll take Rohan as the steak knives when we trade for Tom Mitchell :)

He's playing under duress it appears with the rod still in his leg. Having off season surgery to remove it?

Reckon both parties would want to see him have a proper pre-season and an unencumbered year before making decisions.

If Jack Package doesn't want him, we'll take Rohan as the steak knives when we trade for Tom Mitchell :)

Doubt Mitchell will be offered at the trade table, he's contracted and will probably play alot of games next year. Sadly Mitchell got injured right when he was primed for selection.

Mitchell's on of those players who's value to the club is higher then his trade value.

Unless we are getting a solid KPD he won't be offered (horse is not a fan of heavy dollared rucks)

Nope.

His leg was always going to keep him from playing a full season and needs to have the rod removed at the end of the season, so re-signed more for financial safety than regular senior football.

Of course it isn't unprecedented but you don't become disgruntled in less than 8 weeks

Trading disgruntled, contracted players isnt unprecedented, but its unusual for a trade if the player has signed a new contract that season, or within 6 months - for 2 reasons.

Firstly, it shows that the player is reasonably satisfied with his current status and contract.

Secondly, and mainly, the club cant exactly be pressured into making a decision that doesn't advantage them. If Rohan signs for 2 or 3 years, its only in the final months that pressure really mounts if they know he's so unhappy that he's likely to walk into the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back