Review Sydney Game: Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

GOt to disagree with this dude. Yeah he was treading water for alot of the game, but when it got to the business end, had an impact ar telling moments of play. I am one of his staunchest baggers, but there were positives from Bling today. All be it small ones.;)
Exactly, and well done for acknowledging it.

Positives: CHARACTER.
Negatives: Weak 'supporters' razzing Tambling at the game and in here.

Things that have struck me about Bling this year:

- He's really desperate. The tackling and chasing has been better than ever before.
- He really lacks penetration both in his kicking and his running. Must be the compartment surgery. He certainly had penetration prior to this season.
- Still doesn't know quite where to position himself - especially when playing as the small forward who is supposed to crumb Reiwoldt. Doesn't quite get in the right spots. I don't know how I'd counteract it if it hasn't sunk in already - heaps of video footage and 1 on 1 coaching maybe?
- Thought he started to link up really well today, especially late on. He started slowly, but when the pressure was on he did his bit.

I think Collins returning after being crunched is a massive postive. Shows Hardwick's hardness.

That was great, kicking two goals as well. Top game guys!

Thread needs more David Astbury.

Apart from the silly early leap that cost a free, I don't think he put a foot wrong all day. Showed great composure, and great skill for a guy his height. 20-odd touches today, with the best 2 being in a tight last quarter. He breaks out of traffic, running away from goals in the centre. Good handball to Cousins, gets it back, and gives it to a clear Connors on the wing, who drives us forward.

Will prove to be an absolute steal at pick 35.

POSITIVE - First time that I can remember Richmond beating Sydney since Docklands 2001. Maybe they have beaten them since but I just can't remember it. Sydney have been one of those big bodied teams that continually smash Richmond.
If there was any doubt there should be none after today's game: Richmond have the best midfield that they have had for 30 years!

As Sydney is concerned, I really admire how they go about it. Players such as Bolton, Kirk are as hard as they come and combine this with their other players who are much more experienced and hardened than most of the Richmond list today's win shows that the RFC are no longer pretenders.
Looking forward now to Richmond playing Adelaide who like Sydney, have continually bashed Richmond over the last few years.

man, i only saw the last quarter but u guys were gun..

hard at it and fast.. and i alway love to see sydney get beaten..

keep it up im prtty sure u can overtake us on the ladder atm..

Edwards last quarter and a half was insane. I reckon he only would have had 5 handballs and gained about 10m all up, but gee, they were under pressure. I reckon if he can bulk up a bit more he will be able to transform into a pretty hand inside mid

everyones already stated the positives, and we all know there were more than few.

the negatives from my view were:
-skills: we still turned the ball over way too much
-foward options: not just talls, but medium size players, and good smalls

everyones already stated the positives, and we all know there were more than few.

the negatives from my view were:
-skills: we still turned the ball over way too much
-foward options: not just talls, but medium size players, and good smalls

negative-had we been playing a team with an accurate forward line we would have lost.

Negatives:
- Seemed to bomb and hope at times when entering forward 50. Often kicking to 1 on 2s.
- Tambling. Im sure he would have heard those bronx cheers!

That was my negative from the game. Those same supporters don't have the guts to applaud him when he does something good, usually just add a snide remark etc..

Positive everything else!

negative-had we been playing a team with an accurate forward line we would have lost.

man you really dont watch what goes on in the game do you? Do you know why teams like the swans get to be innacurate in a game? Its because we close the center corridor and force them to the flanks fool. Thats what we have improved going the other way, we get the ****ing thing into the zone that gives you the biggest chance to capitalise on your shots. It dont hurt either when you have a target man to hit 20-30 out on a slight angle too. The swans had to more often than not zig zag and end up having shots from a flank. ;)

man you really dont watch what goes on in the game do you? Do you know why teams like the swans get to be innacurate in a game? Its because we close the center corridor and force them to the flanks fool. Thats what we have improved going the other way, we get the ****ing thing into the zone that gives you the biggest chance to capitalise on your shots. It dont hurt either when you have a target man to hit 20-30 out on a slight angle too. The swans had to more often than not zig zag and end up having shots from a flank. ;)

the majority of there misses came from set shots, i watched the game and recorded so i will make a play by play thread to justify every argument there is and every positive/negative of the game if i have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive - Andy Collins, jesus this kid can play. He has really impressed me the last couple of weeks standing up as a medium forward and has produced by kicking goals.

Negative - Richie Tambling, he just seems a bit lost at times when he gets the pill. Really hope he can turn it around really soon.

Positives - The gradual improvement in Farmer, Griffiths, Astbury, Graham. Courage from Lids and Collins to overcome injury. Cotchin and Martin to play through tags.
Negatives - Thursfield - when he needs to be able to attack and create he simply can't. He did a good negating job, but there were times when he needed to be able to rebound and was found wanting. As for Bling he is struggling and appears to be being gifted games, but I thought lower than that was our supporters giving him the bronx cheers. Desperately in need of a breakout game, tho think he might be swapped for Rance who has earnt a recall

Negatives - Thursfield - when he needs to be able to attack and create he simply can't. He did a good negating job, but there were times when he needed to be able to rebound and was found wanting.

Unwarranted imo. I have been the first to criticise Will for being too one dimensional but today he had 19 possessions and gave us another option when coming out of defence.

I though he, along with Moore, had a very good game today.

Thread needs more David Astbury.

Apart from the silly early leap that cost a free, I don't think he put a foot wrong all day.

That was a rubbish decision, he jumped early but could have got to the ball had he not been tunnelled. The Sydney player stopped/slowed his run, put the shoulder out and took Astbury out in flight.

Possitive - Andy Collins was great when it really counted and after a heavy
Collision stood tall to win the game for us (FANTASTIC)

- Jake King was really hard at it today and was very rarely
reward with a free kick but was punished by a couple of very soft
free kicks against him. But he just stuck to his tasks pretty well.
I think that he has been in very good form lately and if you look at
the opponents he has played on he has done a pretty good job
since playing the one roll for a few weeks in a row.

- Ben Cousins really led by example today when the game was in
close and we needed to hang in the game he led the way for the
younger mids.

- Team attitude was the best i have seen at the club for a few years
now and I think it is a credit to the young boys of the club,
They have come in and by the looks of things have formed a very
strong bond off the field and it is really showing on game day,
the way that the players were getting over to each other at any
opportunity to give a pat on the back after doing some hard work
they all made an effort to be there for each other and I think that
is what has been missing for a long time (They are all in it
together to really build a culture and be the start of the future)

- The Tier ARMY really have to be seen as a positive for the entire
club, not a massive crowd today but when the boys on the ground
needed to win the match the crowd were getting behind them
100%. There really is nothing better then a packed MCG full of
Yellow and Black scaring the S**T out of any team we are playing.

Negatives - NOTHING

Things that have struck me about Bling this year:

- He's really desperate. The tackling and chasing has been better than ever before.
- He really lacks penetration both in his kicking and his running. Must be the compartment surgery. He certainly had penetration prior to this season.
- Still doesn't know quite where to position himself - especially when playing as the small forward who is supposed to crumb Reiwoldt. Doesn't quite get in the right spots. I don't know how I'd counteract it if it hasn't sunk in already - heaps of video footage and 1 on 1 coaching maybe?
- Thought he started to link up really well today, especially late on. He started slowly, but when the pressure was on he did his bit.

Tambling: Not wrong there at all. He looks lost and when he gets the ball he runs and ducks directly into trouble. His endevours there, but he loses his man. Defensive side of him is not great at all he always conceeds goals to his opponent!

Exactly, and well done for acknowledging it.

Positives: CHARACTER.
Negatives: Weak 'supporters' razzing Tambling at the game and in here.

I used to stick up for tambling but he just doesn't do anything. He's so gifted yet so shit, he couldn't even hit a ****ing target with a handball which cost us a goal. He did one good thing at the end of the game and that was it.

the majority of there misses came from set shots, i watched the game and recorded so i will make a play by play thread to justify every argument there is and every positive/negative of the game if i have to.

Bad kicking is bad football, just ask geelong. It cost them a grand final.

Not so much a negative, but something that needs to be addressed (and I think I’ve heard Hardwick mention it) was icing the clock.

Collins got a free in the centre square with just over 2 minutes to go, and took off to bomb it to the goal square, straight down a Sydney throat. When Moore marked on the back flank, they held it ok for a few seconds until Tambling had to kick long. When Cotchin got the free from the resulting stoppage, he has also kicked it to the top of the square instead of toward the boundary line in the pocket.

Obviously they managed to apply enough pressure when Sydney got the ball back for it not to cost them, but I’m looking forward to seeing them work on this aspect.

Edwards last quarter and a half was insane. I reckon he only would have had 5 handballs and gained about 10m all up, but gee, they were under pressure. I reckon if he can bulk up a bit more he will be able to transform into a pretty hand inside mid

I wanted to find somewhere appropriate to acknowledge Edwards' game... especially late.

Along with Collins, Cotchin & Cousins, I reckon Edwards was one of the guys who really ramped it up during the last quarter through the midfield and kept the momentum going our way.

The want & will to win from most of the team, but in particular these guys was outstanding. :thumbsu:

I don't get why everyone knocks tumbling disposal? Yeah he screwed up that handball but hell everyone makes mistakes but 90% of the time he hits a target and does the right thing with the ball. It's his ability to find the pill and his position around packs is terrible at the moment. he needs a run in the twos in the midfield so he can find the pill

Not so much a negative, but something that needs to be addressed (and I think I’ve heard Hardwick mention it) was icing the clock.

Collins got a free in the centre square with just over 2 minutes to go, and took off to bomb it to the goal square, straight down a Sydney throat. When Moore marked on the back flank, they held it ok for a few seconds until Tambling had to kick long. When Cotchin got the free from the resulting stoppage, he has also kicked it to the top of the square instead of toward the boundary line in the pocket.

Obviously they managed to apply enough pressure when Sydney got the ball back for it not to cost them, but I’m looking forward to seeing them work on this aspect.
I disagree.
I liked how when we got in front, we actually tried to score another goal. That's how you ice the game.
Had we have tried to contain them and played the final 2 mins in their forward 50m, it would have resulted in an inevitable goal to them.
I loved how we kept trying to run the ball forward and score the goal that would have put us 10 points up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Sydney Game: Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back