Sydney List Assessment - John Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84704/default.aspx

Pretty interesting read...

Some of the players that stood out

Paul Bevan
He was sixth in our best and fairest last year, so he probably didn’t get back to those heights. He was a little bit inconsistent and he struggled at times with some of the roles that he was playing. We’re looking for a better year from Paul next year.

Going no where

Ryan Brabazon
He only played two games in the end. It was a critical year for him and it would have been great to see him play 10 or 15 games. Obviously it didn’t happen and we’ll have to wait and see what transpires in the next few weeks.

Looks like Brabazon is gone...

Amon Buchanan
He got a knee injury and that really hurt him. He had an operation on the cartilage in his knee. Once again, he’s a player that we know when he’s up and firing is probably in the top five players for us. He needs to be a bit more consistent.

They apparently rate him... (The cartilage injury probably hurt him quite a bit as he does rely on what little speed he has...)

Matthew Laidlaw
It’s unfortunate for Matty. He’s got enormous ability but he’s just one of those players who has had one of those bad runs with injury. He’s clearly got some class but unfortunately, sometimes your body just doesn’t let you do what you want to do.

Doesn't sound good for Laidlaw... Sounds like his body has given up on him...

Nick Malceski
He played 12 games and he’s probably a bit disappointed with how he went at times. He ended up playing a bit of reserves footy, which sometimes can happen when you’re coming back from any type of injury, let alone a knee reconstruction. He’s got high expectations of himself next season, so we’re expecting a big pre-season from him.

Still on our list next year... Rule out any trades.

Matthew O’Dwyer
His first game for us was against Richmond, where he played on Jordan McMahon and did a good job – he looked comfortable. It was good to see him playing senior footy and playing for a few weeks in a row. He showed some exciting bits of play, so we’re looking forward to him again next year.

Safe as expected

Daniel O’Keefe
He played more reserves games this year than what he has previously, but he probably didn’t look to have the confidence in his body that he needed at times. He kicked six goals in one game so he obviously looked good; it’s just a matter of being consistent now. Hopefully he’s over his injury worries and he can get that confidence.

Sounds like DOK is safe... :thumbsu:

Henry Playfair
He had an operation on his hamstring. He’s back running now and it’s just a matter of how fast he runs. It’s been an unfortunate year for him in that he wasn’t able to contribute the way he wanted to. He’s put that behind him but he needs to be doing some work now, and he is doing that work.

Only safe pending his fitness....

Tim Schmidt
He had his knee operation in the pre-season and he really struggled to get back from that. It was one thing after another, including couple of soft tissue injuries. We were hoping to get a better year because we know he can play, but unfortunately his body didn’t let him.

Only said they were hoping to get a better year... no mention about next year or getting over his injuries...

So by the looks of things

Delist
Brabazon
Laidlaw
Playfair

Maybe
Schmidt

Safe
DOK
Malceski
MOD
Bevan
Buchanan... (Dammit)

some interesting comments

the fact amon is still rated highly is dissapointing and frustrating

bonza you wrote playfair to be delisted, that's a little premature given the assessment of playfair was not definitive.... so the ruling is still out on him

schmidt doesn't look good.... soft tissue injuries, are a very bad sign

but overall a fairly good read and assessment.... but nothing is for certain until list lodgement

What i took out of it for several players:

- Braba is gone
- Jude is underrated by everyone in the AFL including the Swans coaching staff
- Amon at his best is in our top 5 players...rrrrright. interesting, doesnt look like he is going anywhere based on that, or it could be an attempt at spruiking his value...
- Laidlaw doesnt sound good, i hope he is retained but didnt sound too promising
- DOK sounds like he will stay
- Playfair is very iffy, sounds like they want to keep him but he has to prove he's is up to it
- LRT's year was underrated by the coaches
- Schmidt may well be gone, another i hope stays cause he can really play, but may have run out of chances
- Gilchrist will be retained as most us thought

Interesting stuff, most of it was as expected but some interesting comments there.

I don't know what the coaching staff want out of Goodes, reading that its just baffling.
Inconsistent this year , i would have thought the opposite in the last three quarters of the season, even when he's down he still brings teamates into the game with flashes of brilliance. Longmire is a worry, i would have loved Hardwick.

I don't know what the coaching staff want out of Goodes, reading that its just baffling.
Inconsistent this year , i would have thought the opposite in the last three quarters of the season, even when he's down he still brings teamates into the game with flashes of brilliance. Longmire is a worry, i would have loved Hardwick.

What is baffling?

Adam Goodes
I think he was probably a bit inconsistent at times during the year, and his last six games were very good. Some of his good games were outstanding. He just had some games where he was just off the pace a bit, but his expectations of himself are pretty high. When he was a key target for us at centre half-forward, he settled into that role really well.

This is 100% correct and even you pointed out that he was down at times thoughout the season and with both the coaching staff and Goodes himself expecting better, this statement is not only true it goes a long way to show how he managed to finish only 5th in the Best and Fairest.

"Flashes" of brillance aren't enough anymore to win Best and Fairest on their own anymore and this year proves that.

the fact amon is still rated highly is dissapointing and frustrating

Are you (and some others) merely frustrated that Longmire disagrees with your perceptions ? After all BF is just a collection of amateur opinions, not a selection panel.

Why not rejoice that the coaching staff think he's still capable of being in our top 5. I'd call that a bonus - a hidden gem. Let's hope he gets a full pre-season, remains injury free and lives up to Longmire's expectations.

Buchanan is a very good player when up and running 05/06 prove that, he finished 07 reasonably well and when he came back in late last year he was one of our best including the norf final. obviously struggled this year with injury and whatnot but deserves another year to prove himself again.

Playfair sounds like he'll be retained if he's fit enough. Brabazon, Laidlaw and Schmidt sound like they're in a bit of trouble - fair enough i guess they've all been on the list long enough and haven't done enough, not entirely their fault with injuries and such but unfortunetly thats the way it is in this business.

What is baffling?

This is 100% correct and even you pointed out that he was down at times thoughout the season and with both the coaching staff and Goodes himself expecting better, this statement is not only true it goes a long way to show how he managed to finish only 5th in the Best and Fairest.

"Flashes" of brillance aren't enough anymore to win Best and Fairest on their own anymore and this year proves that.
Well are our coaching staffs opinion of Goodes too high the same as some fans.
He is far and away our best player and he was our best player this season with ROK not far behind. It is interesting to note that Longmire gave an excuse for ROK's slow start and inconsistent form early, but not the same for Goodes. God help us with this clown coaching us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. We may even keep Laidlaw, delist DOK and pick him back up as a rookie (or another player?).

We have done this before..

to be honest I think there may be a furphy or two in here. Your not going to giver the oppisition a free understanding of who were going to delist prior to trade week.

Let's condemn Longmire before he's even had a chance as our senior coach, because he didn't say Goodes had a perfect season.
Thats not it , compare the two players reports by Longmire.
My worry is that Longmire will be too much the same, it is a new era.
My hope is that he will bring new assistants and freshen up the place

Thats not it , compare the two players reports by Longmire.
My worry is that Longmire will be too much the same, it is a new era.
My hope is that he will bring new assistants and freshen up the place

Compare it to what? Did Roos and Longmire both do assessments? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just unsure of what you mean.

Well are our coaching staffs opinion of Goodes too high the same as some fans.
He is far and away our best player and he was our best player this season with ROK not far behind. It is interesting to note that Longmire gave an excuse for ROK's slow start and inconsistent form early, but not the same for Goodes. God help us with this clown coaching us.

Longmire didn't make an excuse for ROK's slow start. He denies that ROK's form was down, and puts his low-ish stats (he was still far from useless, I think people were exaggerating it after the trade fiasco) down to him playing in the forwardline. Now, you might say he's wrong. For what it's worth, I would think Longmire is a much better judge of a player's performance. ROK was asked to play a role he's not used to (that is, deep forward, almost FF), and he did OK. He did what was asked, which was provide a target and make a contest.

Goodes, on the other hand, wasn't playing out of his depth, but was just a bit inconsistent.

Longmire didn't make an excuse for ROK's slow start. He denies that ROK's form was down, and puts his low-ish stats (he was still far from useless, I think people were exaggerating it after the trade fiasco) down to him playing in the forwardline. Now, you might say he's wrong. For what it's worth, I would think Longmire is a much better judge of a player's performance. ROK was asked to play a role he's not used to (that is, deep forward, almost FF), and he did OK. He did what was asked, which was provide a target and make a contest.

Goodes, on the other hand, wasn't playing out of his depth, but was just a bit inconsistent.
ROK has always been a Forward for christs sake , but had asked when the contract was on the line for a midfield role, so he was inconsistent as a forward.
And once again the old chessnut about Goodes being inconsistent, just a bit you say. One day when he's gone coaches and some so called fans will realise what they had in no. 37

FFS Bedders, are you still on those angry pills?:D:)

ROK early season had no BBBHall or Mickey O, had younguns like Meredith Grundy and co oflimitedsupport and was asked to play key forward with crap delivery!

He did bloody well and THEN released the pressure off No37 by assuming a penetrating midfield role

NO ONE that wears red and white... coach fan or imbecile... undervalues the GOODES!;)

It is interesting to note that Longmire gave an excuse for ROK's slow start and inconsistent form early, but not the same for Goodes. God help us with this clown coaching us.
I love that you think Longmire is a clown after he's spent seven largely successful years at the club, helping to guide the players through one of the Swans' greatest eras.

Now that he's been given the senior role from 2011, he's got no idea because he doesn't fawn over Adam Goodes like you do?

YEH! for his recognition of Smith.... GUTS! is what I like ....and he has it in barrow loads!

Absolutely. I know Smith has a few other fans on this website (Grim and the girls). I reckon he will continue to improve and become a very valuable player for us.

I think our list is in a pretty good position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney List Assessment - John Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back