Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say I find it curious people lumping Hayward in with underperformers like Wicks, Florent or Campbell. His performances ebb and flow but has kicked 32 goals and always puts in.
It's bizarre. He's had a fantastic season. Doubt there'd be many medium forwards with better numbers than him.

Not long ago we were all worried about him leaving for big money because of how well he was playing.

Gotta say I find it curious people lumping Hayward in with underperformers like Wicks, Florent or Campbell. His performances ebb and flow but has kicked 32 goals and always puts in.
I'm giving Hayward some leeway because his effort to play on against Brisbane was gutsy, and he still had an impact. But then he was hobbling again against the Dogs.

I'd manage him this week, with Heeney mostly forward, and hopefully he's fresher for the next 2, pre finals bye.

Hayward's fine but average. I forget he's even playing most weeks and half the time when I finally am reminded he's out there it's because he's missing a gettable set shot or being flung off with ease because he lacks core strength in his tackle attempts. (He is outstanding at run-downs from behind at least.)

He should not be at the top of the list of players in consideration to be dropped, but I don't think he should be exempt from it either.

That group usually hovering around that bottom six mark - Florent, Hayward, McLean, McDonald, Amartey, Wicks, Fox, Campbell, Jordon and yes, since they've come in, Mills and Parker (hardly his fault) in general just haven't offered enough. Fair dinkum, Matt Roberts, who is younger than all of those names, has at least stood up and elevated himself beyond that group the last few weeks in extremely trying circumstances. So no excuse for the rest (again, besides Parker.)

Mills would have an excuse if he was underdone but he undermines that excuse by putting himself up for selection each week in that case. So you're on your own son.

I'm giving Hayward some leeway because his effort to play on against Brisbane was gutsy, and he still had an impact. But then he was hobbling again against the Dogs.

I'd manage him this week, with Heeney mostly forward, and hopefully he's fresher for the next 2, pre finals bye.
Yeah that's fair, he may simply need a rest. Watching him struggle against the Dogs was painful but we were already a couple of pipers down at that point.

Go figure we can't rest Hayward because we have no literal backup in the squad. Maybe should draft one so that it gives competition to Hayward for his spot but also saves our arse if he gets injured

Yeah look I was going to vent about him too, but then I saw he had a game high 8 tackles (alongside Butters). 7 were in the first quarter though. And they obviously weren't overly effective.

Just play him off a wing.
It was game high because no one from Port Adelaide needed to ****ing tackle us.

The meltdown I almost had re: Chad was when he was surrounded by Port players at the back of the square, had a 2 or 3 free teammates over the top, and he tried to bust through them all. HTB, inside 50.
And had the gall to smile about it when caught holding the ball. Not trying hard enough.

Gotta say I find it curious people lumping Hayward in with underperformers like Wicks, Florent or Campbell. His performances ebb and flow but has kicked 32 goals and always puts in. Averaging career high disposals and still tackling and taking marks.
Averaging 1.6 goals a game as a medium forward is pretty damn good. Kicked some big, momentum turning goals this year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they committed to Chad Warner at half forward i would get around that tbh, but we know they won't do that.
When Chad took that hanger in the first Dogs game I could swear Longmire said that he was encouraging Warner to get forward and fly more.

Don't think we've seen it since...

I wonder if its smaller names if we will see a debut from Hanily given i expect one of Wicks or Warner to get dropped. Oh but it could just be Campbell coming back in (having second thoughts)

10A. Francis
19P. Ladhams
15S. Wicks
InDane Rampe, Joel Amartey, Braeden Campbell, Caiden Cleary
OutAaron Francis (Omitted), Sam Wicks (Omitted), Peter Ladhams (Omitted), Corey Warner (Omitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back