AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Warner can leave after that. Would be a terrible look. Has to run it back.

Nah. Who would care what it looks like, seriously? I think it looks much worse when players jumps to contenders or from spoon teams. Personally, Bolton looks much worse, but no one really cares now.

What does look bad is asking his manager at 3 quarter time, but he was emotional.

AFL Grand Final 2024: Isaac Heeney played through foot stress fracture in Sydney’s heavy loss​

Isaac Heeney fought through a painful injury during Sydney’s Grand Final loss to Brisbane Lions, it can be revealed. DANIEL CHERNY has full details.

September 28, 2024 - 6:52PM
News Sport Network

Sydney star Isaac Heeney played through the finals series with a stress fracture in his ankle.
The banged-up Swans midfielder revealed the extent of his ailment in the sullen Sydney rooms following Saturday’s 10-goal grand final hiding at the hands of the Brisbane Lions.
For the second time in three grand finals, Heeney was subdued, finishing the match with 14 disposals and a goal to be a non-factor in the outcome.

In many respects Heeney typified his side’s plight. After a magnificent home and away season and two excellent lead-up finals, he finished the match in mothballs after exacerbating the ankle damage early in the game.
Making his stunning qualifying final against Greater Western Sydney and strong preliminary final showing against Port Adelaide all the more remarkable was that Heeney had entered September hampered.
“I had a stress fracture in my ankle for the whole finals series. So I’ve had to manage that and after the Port game I was pretty sore. I had to get through the week, I felt good going into the game and hurt it when I got run-down tackled late in the first,” a bare-chested Heeney said after Swans player filtered out of their post-match meeting with coach John Longmire and into the arms of waiting family and friends.
“In the end it was too far a deficit and I wasn’t moving well and they said ‘you’re done.’ So that’s frustrating itself as obviously we had Loges (Logan McDonald) go out too and a few of the boys were pretty sore.”
Heeney wasn’t certain whether he would need post-season surgery.
“I’ll go see the doctors and scan it and we’ll go from there,” he said.

Heeney struggled to put his finger on why the Swans had so badly let themselves down on the last Saturday in September in what was their fourth grand final loss in 11 seasons, three of which have been by 60 or more points.
The 28-year-old has played in three of those losses – to the Western Bulldogs in 2016, Geelong in 2022 and this shellacking.
“It’s one of those days. But it’s happened now twice in two years. Obviously happened also against Port earlier in the year,” Heeney said.
“It was just not up to standard. I think we’ve got to review this one, we’ve got to figure out the specifics as to where we went wrong and why it went wrong again. We’ll be back bigger and better and this team’s a very united group. We love each other and we’ll be back next year bigger and better and more mature.”
He said the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow given the Swans had been the strongest side across the home and away rounds.
“It’s a bit numbing at the moment,” Heeney added.
“It’s a tough one, especially when you see them receive it, you’re like ‘we’ve been the best side all year’ and we just couldn’t really match it on the day that really counts. It’s upsetting.
“They were just harder and better than us.”

Lachie Neale was right.

AFL Grand Final 2024: Isaac Heeney played through foot stress fracture in Sydney’s heavy loss​

Isaac Heeney fought through a painful injury during Sydney’s Grand Final loss to Brisbane Lions, it can be revealed. DANIEL CHERNY has full details.

September 28, 2024 - 6:52PM
News Sport Network

Sydney star Isaac Heeney played through the finals series with a stress fracture in his ankle.
The banged-up Swans midfielder revealed the extent of his ailment in the sullen Sydney rooms following Saturday’s 10-goal grand final hiding at the hands of the Brisbane Lions.
For the second time in three grand finals, Heeney was subdued, finishing the match with 14 disposals and a goal to be a non-factor in the outcome.

In many respects Heeney typified his side’s plight. After a magnificent home and away season and two excellent lead-up finals, he finished the match in mothballs after exacerbating the ankle damage early in the game.
Making his stunning qualifying final against Greater Western Sydney and strong preliminary final showing against Port Adelaide all the more remarkable was that Heeney had entered September hampered.

“I had a stress fracture in my ankle for the whole finals series. So I’ve had to manage that and after the Port game I was pretty sore. I had to get through the week, I felt good going into the game and hurt it when I got run-down tackled late in the first,” a bare-chested Heeney said after Swans player filtered out of their post-match meeting with coach John Longmire and into the arms of waiting family and friends.
“In the end it was too far a deficit and I wasn’t moving well and they said ‘you’re done.’ So that’s frustrating itself as obviously we had Loges (Logan McDonald) go out too and a few of the boys were pretty sore.”

Heeney wasn’t certain whether he would need post-season surgery.
“I’ll go see the doctors and scan it and we’ll go from there,” he said.

Heeney struggled to put his finger on why the Swans had so badly let themselves down on the last Saturday in September in what was their fourth grand final loss in 11 seasons, three of which have been by 60 or more points.
The 28-year-old has played in three of those losses – to the Western Bulldogs in 2016, Geelong in 2022 and this shellacking.
“It’s one of those days. But it’s happened now twice in two years. Obviously happened also against Port earlier in the year,” Heeney said.
“It was just not up to standard. I think we’ve got to review this one, we’ve got to figure out the specifics as to where we went wrong and why it went wrong again. We’ll be back bigger and better and this team’s a very united group. We love each other and we’ll be back next year bigger and better and more mature.”
He said the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow given the Swans had been the strongest side across the home and away rounds.
“It’s a bit numbing at the moment,” Heeney added.
“It’s a tough one, especially when you see them receive it, you’re like ‘we’ve been the best side all year’ and we just couldn’t really match it on the day that really counts. It’s upsetting.
“They were just harder and better than us.”
It's happened too many times now.

Hawthorn 2014
Geelong 2022
Brisbane 2024

Like if they took the game to the final 10 mins you can cop it

But it's 3 no shows in the past 4.

And those 3 no shows they have had a cruisy run into the GF.

Avoided week 2 in those 3 years they got thumped.

The preparation has gone wrong somewhere

Absolute stinker of a GF. Brizzy closed down the midfield access and the swans key forwards simply aren't reliable, havent been all year

It does make me think that the top teams having a small, fast forward of centre with one or two key forwards. I can see us being in the same position today as Brizzy with our 3 talls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sook more man
Facts aren't sooking.

Sooking is fans believing players should sacrifice their careers by staying at the club that drafted them simply so the fans can feel good about "loyalty".

Players only have one career. They owe it to themselves to maximise that career.

Good on Neale for doing that for himself.

Today reinforced to me Josh Treacy will be the KF that delivers us a flag if we win one.

Not Jye.

Nothing against Jye but the Kahona had the arrogance about him that will help on the big stage

Jye is a shy personality that would probs struggle if it's all left too him

Treacy is the key moving forward.

With him fit and firing in September we can win it.

Just finished work and all I can say is LET'S ****ING GO BRISBANEEEEEEEEE

So happy it wasn't Sydney. Also love that Neale gets a flag, deserves it, still miss him every day but he'll always be a Docker to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today reinforced to me Josh Treacy will be the KF that delivers us a flag if we win one.

Not Jye.

Nothing against Jye but the Kahona had the arrogance about him that will help on the big stage

Jye is a shy personality that would probs struggle if it's all left too him

Treacy is the key moving forward.

With him fit and firing in September we can win it.
Yes but the one we really need to hit his straps is Jackson, we haven't seen anywhere near his best yet.

Dude, they didn't lose because of their KPFs, the ball didn't even get in there that much..

They gave them nothing when they did get it in and they gave them nothing in transition. When struggling to move the ball you need your KPFs and ruckman to be able to take contested marks up the line. Grundy did that but Amartey and McDonald did not.

Longmire is the grand final version of Ken Hinkley. For all the accusations of Chris Scott being lucky he inherited a premiership team, Longmire is extraordinarily lucky his Swans still had a memory of high pressure football in 2012. His gamestyle does not stand up in the big game

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back