AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

That was an example of what you get from a team where EVERYONE played well.

Have we ever had that?

We need more than just a Bolt-on, if everyone can find a way to do just that, we have a chance, passengers kill you.

I didn’t know Achee was a Kelmscott boy, what a champ… fantastic game, can we keep him on our radar please!

Last edited:

I am not sure about Brisbane going B2B.

They have had 5-6 years of finals heartbreak lead in to this and building towards it.

It might be similar to Geelong 2022 toiling away so long and finally conquering the mountain. The hunger will it still be there.

I know Ashcroft won the NSM but the majority of the Lions best players will be another year older and they will decline eventually.

GWS have as much mental baggage now as the Swans.

It's truly unknown until we see what happens trade week.

There is always a bombshell or two that shakes up the competition because of it.
Yes we all expect some teams to win every year based on past results but usually the teams lost in the preliminary final or any finals usually make it?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Longmire is the grand final version of Ken Hinkley. For all the accusations of Chris Scott being lucky he inherited a premiership team, Longmire is extraordinarily lucky his Swans still had a memory of high pressure football in 2012. His gamestyle does not stand up in the big game
They haven't handled pressure in a final since we demolished them in 2013 PF.

If it wasn't for 6 junk time goals in the last 5 mins we smashed them by 10+ goals not even including the inaccuracy of the 1st Qtr.

Inside 50s​

Sydney

Brisbane

Raw stats can lie. What do you mean by the ball didn't even get in there that much..?
The second quarter Sydney had 60 possessions only as a team and the ball barely went forward. It was a training drill for Brisbane.

The Sydney forwards were rubbish don’t get me wrong but lack of supply certainly in the second and third quarters didn’t help them. They just couldn’t get their hands on the pill. Then in the last Sydney got a bit i50 once Brisbane stated crack in open champagne and let them get some ball.

I’ve gone right off McDonald some time ago. Well before this game. He isn’t the sort of KPF that we need - doesn’t impose himself at all on the game.

Brisbane had their injury issues early in the season. They then struggled early doors but found some replacements and hit a good run of form either side of the bye and were solid into the finals series. Very lucky to get past GWS who quite frankly choked.

Freo, Carlton got hit by injuries late season and hit the wall. Hopefully we can time it a bit better next year because we aren’t far off it and I agree with others we should be pushing top 4-6 as a necessity. JL will be under pressure as we need to go deep into September or look at someone who can take us there.

The second quarter Sydney had 60 possessions only as a team and the ball barely went forward. It was a training drill for Brisbane.

The Sydney forwards were rubbish don’t get me wrong but lack of supply certainly in the second and third quarters didn’t help them. They just couldn’t get their hands on the pill. Then in the last Sydney got a bit i50 once Brisbane stated crack in open champagne and let them get some ball.
Sydney had a heap more inside 50s in the first but trailed by 8. Many of their kicks inside 50 were direct turnovers with Amartey and McDonald nowhere to be seen.

Brisbane meanwhile carved through their defence in the first with precise kicking. Even though Brisbane only led by 8 at QT, I felt they’d secured victory as Sydney’s midfield was at that point on top, but Brisbane weren’t getting their game style taken away from them. It seemed obvious that at some point the Brisbane scoring machine would click into gear and Sydney wouldn’t be able to go with them.

I never had doubts about Longmire before this game but I’ve never seen a GF team so unprepared for their opponents. Just baffling.

They haven't handled pressure in a final since we demolished them in 2013 PF.

If it wasn't for 6 junk time goals in the last 5 mins we smashed them by 10+ goals not even including the inaccuracy of the 1st Qtr.
They’re certainly not the blue collar football team they were under Roos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Useless stats came up with an interesting stat.

Dunkley double. Josh Dunkley has become the seventh player to win two grand finals with separate clubs against the same team, which just happens to be the team his Dad played for.
He is also the only AFL player to ever win two premierships for teams who finished outside the top 4.

Sydney had a heap more inside 50s in the first but trailed by 8. Many of their kicks inside 50 were direct turnovers with Amartey and McDonald nowhere to be seen.

Brisbane meanwhile carved through their defence in the first with precise kicking. Even though Brisbane only led by 8 at QT, I felt they’d secured victory as Sydney’s midfield was at that point on top, but Brisbane weren’t getting their game style taken away from them. It seemed obvious that at some point the Brisbane scoring machine would click into gear and Sydney wouldn’t be able to go with them.

I never had doubts about Longmire before this game but I’ve never seen a GF team so unprepared for their opponents. Just baffling.
What's your take on the major flaws in their strategy and prep?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back