AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your take on the major flaws in their strategy and prep?
If you go back and watch the highlights, Lohmann’s first goal, Brisbane have a chain of four uncontested marks from half back right up the middle. I turned to my mate and said “that was too easy, Sydney don’t seem to have realised they are playing Brisbane”. Didn’t look like Sydney had gone in with a plan to deny their kick-mark game at all.

At that point Sydney were two goals up.

If you go back and watch the highlights, Lohmann’s first goal, Brisbane have a chain of four uncontested marks from half back right up the middle. I turned to my mate and said “that was too easy, Sydney don’t seem to have realised they are playing Brisbane”. Didn’t look like Sydney had gone in with a plan to deny their kick-mark game at all.

I went back and looked at the entire play, Starcevich won an intercept mark, and Brisbane had a chain of 10 (!) uncontested marks afterwards that resulted in the Lohmann goal. Only one of the kicks was a medium risk one, but there was no pressure from Sydney the entire chain.

Was that Clug chipping to Lester in the corridor waltzing forward unopposed? Yeah fair.

I thought the Parker plan was average. You're playing three talls but try tag Andrews with Parker, which let's Andrews dictate where he wants to defend, and robs you of forward pressure.

Flow on effect was they're not a great clearance team, Heeney was under wraps, Rowbottom was fighting a losing battle, but they stuck with Parker forward until the game was over.

But your point about perhaps not playing Brisbane's ball movement properly is a good one. Think longmire said as much in his presser. Cheers.

I thought the Parker plan was average. You're playing three talls but try tag Andrews with Parker, which let's Andrews dictate where he wants to defend, and robs you of forward pressure.

Flow on effect was they're not a great clearance team, Heeney was under wraps, Rowbottom was fighting a losing battle, but they stuck with Parker forward until the game was over.
yeah I thought that was ridiculous too. What worked against Aliir wasn’t guaranteed to work against a far superior player in Andrews.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back