Sydney writer rips into AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in Sydney (raised in Melbourne) and all i can say is the journalism up here is a peice of ********, they can moan and groan about the sport all they want but all you need to do is look at the crowd figures to work out for yourself that this Mike Gibson is talking trash. Yes, i've been to AFL and NRL games live and without trying to be biased NRL doesn't compare to AFL excitement wise.

I won't go into it as all points have been raised and pointed out anyway, but AFL is a fast end to end sport with great tackles, marks, goals and so on, NRL is pretty much a quicker version of gridiron, a constant grind for field territory before you can score.

littleduck said:
The RL programs on weekend radio achieve massive ratings so how can you argue Sydney doesnt provide what the fans want??

Anyway, AFL gets excellent coverage on ABCRadioNational.

What more do you want??

Packer :::9 promotes Swans on rugby footy show and only gets them to play stupid games. This is the patronising Packer to save rugby because he owns Easts Roosters.

It is the tactic of NEWS and Murdoch with their fluff stories about AFL, no hard stats, no match review. Murdoch owns Rugby and Queensland Cowboys.

Hadley kills AFL to remain popular with Singleton who owns Gosford Stadium and will buy Souths.

You see their stupid minds?

They patronise the game to make it look like their playing games.

FB&W said:
Packer :::9 promotes Swans on rugby footy show and only gets them to play stupid games. This is the patronising Packer to save rugby because he owns Easts Roosters.

It is the tactic of NEWS and Murdoch with their fluff stories about AFL, no hard stats, no match review. Murdoch owns Rugby and Queensland Cowboys.

Hadley kills AFL to remain popular with Singleton who owns Gosford Stadium and will buy Souths.

Yeah.Pretty well sums up how they think.

Totally different down here.Noboby would get away with it.

FB&W said:
Packer :::9 promotes Swans on rugby (laegue) footy show and only gets them to play stupid games. This is the patronising Packer to save rugby because he owns Easts Roosters.
I think it was just Fattys Snorkys Mattys Chiefs way of wishing the Swans good luck.

I think you're shadow boxing. Suggest you swim between the flags.

Vulcan said:
That's another worry. News are the group that assembled the last AFL media deal.
Talk about conflicts of interest.They're eveywhere.

But in the meantime no media person here of any any influence has bashed any other sport,let alone a code of footy that I can recall in years.They are all encouraged.

That is what makes Gibbo's article so childish.And the the Sydney media and News Ltd. gutless for even publishing it.

But they are all big kids anyway.Just playing with more zeros before the decimal point on their bank statement than the rest of us.

I don't know what you are concerned about. The Swans have received nothing but positive press for the entire fortnight and the Telegraph is still going nuts over their win long after it has finished. The Tele have been so pro-Swans it's not funny and Gibson's article is only a miniscule blip on the radar. It's been great to be a Swans supporter in Sydney and that will continue with the parade tomorrow.

Ed_Gein said:
I live in Sydney (raised in Melbourne) and all i can say is the journalism up here is a peice of ********, they can moan and groan about the sport all they want but all you need to do is look at the crowd figures to work out for yourself that this Mike Gibson is talking trash. Yes, i've been to AFL and NRL games live and without trying to be biased NRL doesn't compare to AFL excitement wise.

So you think Aussie Rules has more fans in Sydney than rugby league.

FB&W said:

No in Melbourne they talk about one sport in winter 24 hours a day seven days a week and the papers are virtually AFL magazines. Great if you like AFL but ******** if you like a bit of variety now and then. I'm still trying to work out why 3AW bother calling their show Sports Today in the winter time.

Sydney is the best city to live in if you are a 'sports' lover because they all get a go.

Rex said:
No in Melbourne they talk about one sport in winter 24 hours a day seven days a week and the papers are virtually AFL magazines. Great if you like AFL but ******** if you like a bit of variety now and then. I'm still trying to work out why 3AW bother calling their show Sports Today in the winter time.

Sydney is the best city to live in if you are a 'sports' lover because they all get a go.

No they don't. Are you familiar with SEN. Of course footy gets top billing during the footy season but plenty of other sports get a go as well.
And what has reading papers or listening to radio got to do with being a sports lover? In Melbourne we go to the matches.

Rex said:
I don't know what you are concerned about. The Swans have received nothing but positive press for the entire fortnight and the Telegraph is still going nuts over their win long after it has finished. The Tele have been so pro-Swans it's not funny and Gibson's article is only a miniscule blip on the radar. It's been great to be a Swans supporter in Sydney and that will continue with the parade tomorrow.

See this is the Murdoch patronising way. They put Swans on front page with Paris Hilton's snatch and then a column on page 2 about paint-faced kids. Murdoch pushes Swans into social pages like Sydney Confidential to ridicule the game.

No back page, no inside back page, no inside-inside back page and then double spread 10 pages in about Paul Roos kids!

They offer NIL game analysis and comment only fluff stuff.

Murdoch fools the Swan fans with pretty pictures just to line his pockets with their money to then give it to rugby and QLD Cowboys.

FB&W said:
See this is the Murdoch patronising way. They put Swans on front page with Paris Hilton's snatch and then a column on page 2 about paint-faced kids. Murdoch pushes Swans into social pages like Sydney Confidential to ridicule the game.
so the ol any publicity is good publicity rule isnt true??

No back page, no inside back page, no inside-inside back page and then double spread 10 pages in about Paul Roos kids!
its not melbourne ya know. the sports pages were almost evenly shared with the NRL Finals Series. thats a massive proportion devoted to AFL.

They offer NIL game analysis and comment only fluff stuff.
maybe they forgot to pay a few victorian consultants for that... because you can be fairly sure sydney journos havent got a club about actual game analysis because they dont understand it.

Murdoch fools the Swan fans with pretty pictures just to line his pockets with their money to then give it to rugby (league) and QLD Cowboys.
marvelous system isnt it? ;)

Rex said:

Now thats a quality post.

littleduck said:
maybe they forgot to pay a few victorian consultants for that... because you can be fairly sure sydney journos havent got a club about actual game analysis because they dont understand it.

Your actualy wrong here, in recent times Richard Hinds has been doing a pretty good and always improving job with the Sydney Morning Herald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Rugby league wingers - and fullbacks - are more accomplished at taking high marks than AFL players. "

hahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious, this guy should be on The Comedy Channel.

gadj1976 said:
"Rugby league wingers - and fullbacks - are more accomplished at taking high marks than AFL players. "

hahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious, this guy should be on The Comedy Channel.
arguably they are because they have the added concern of ball control, whereas AFL players can always fumble it with no consequences. so generally rugby league backs are more accomplished, but of course nothing competes with an AFL player who gets it right. that is more of an accomplishment. eg daryl white.

littleduck said:
arguably they are because they have the added concern of ball control, whereas AFL players can always fumble it with no consequences. so generally rugby league backs are more accomplished, but of course nothing competes with an AFL player who gets it right. that is more of an accomplishment. eg daryl white.

They arent, an AFL player jumping up nearly uncontested as happens in league would be expected to mark the ball in his hands not on his chest, 10 times out of 10, ive seen league players drop chest marks that 12 years olds take with ease, having said that i realise there is the odd f**** up with AFL players but probably because they just get a lot mroe oppurtunities to mark.

littleduck said:
Try telling that to Leo Barry.

Power21 said:
They arent, an AFL player jumping up nearly uncontested as happens in league would be expected to mark the ball in his hands not on his chest, 10 times out of 10, ive seen league players drop chest marks that 12 years olds take with ease, having said that i realise there is the odd f**** up with AFL players but probably because they just get a lot mroe oppurtunities to mark.
yeah true. i was just pointing out ball control in league is critical when you go up to defuse a bomb, whereas in AFL its possible to fumble with no consequence. on that basis, i think leaguies might be a bit more conservative while AFL players are more risk takers, which means once they get it right it looks spectacular.

littleduck said:
so the ol any publicity is good publicity rule isnt true??

its not melbourne ya know. the sports pages were almost evenly shared with the NRL Finals Series. thats a massive proportion devoted to AFL.

marvelous system isnt it? ;)

NO NO :mad: This is the populous attitude.
Murdoch makes people pay for footy channel but rugby is free. Murdoch puts footy in sydney Confidential but never the back pages. Murdoch ridicules the game by concentrating on Paul Roos kids and faint facing and no stats, reports or analysis. Where is reports about other games? No just Sydney Confidential with girfriend fashions.

Murdoch owns NEWS and Fox. Murdoch owns rugby. Murdoch owns The Cowboys.

You see? This is their tactic.

Packer puts footy on after rugby on friday nights. Packer only shows Sunday footy in the daytime. PAcker needs money after super-leage and owns East Roosters. Packer needs to make money out of rugby.
Singleton owns gosford stadium and wants to buy Melbourne first or Souths. Hadley wants to remain popular with Singleton and kills AFL as his tactic. Hadley has influence in radio - proof he blackballed his mate John Gibbs and fat Broman.

You see?

They do this to kill AFL and make money.

FB&W said:
NO NO :mad: This is the populous attitude.
Murdoch makes people pay for (aussie rules) footy channel but rugby (league) is free. Murdoch puts (aussie rules) footy in sydney Confidential but never the back pages. Murdoch ridicules the game by concentrating on Paul Roos kids and faint facing and no stats, reports or analysis. Where is reports about other games? No just Sydney Confidential with girfriend fashions.

Murdoch owns NEWS and Fox. Murdoch owns rugby (league). Murdoch owns The Cowboys.

You see? This is their tactic.

Packer puts (aussie rules) footy on after rugby (league) on friday nights. Packer only shows Sunday (aussie rules) footy in the daytime. PAcker needs money after super-leage and owns East Roosters. Packer needs to make money out of rugby (league).
Singleton owns gosford stadium and wants to buy Melbourne first or Souths. Hadley wants to remain popular with Singleton and kills AFL as his tactic. Hadley has influence in radio - proof he blackballed his mate John Gibbs and fat Broman.

You see?

They do this to kill AFL and make money.
interesting assertion.

littleduck said:
interesting assertion.

Why do I need all the stupid (interpreting)? So you think I don't know wwhat I mean when I call rugby rugby and footy footy? I mean what i mean.

Please keep your brackets to yourself. I do not need an interpreter. You are not Nicole Kidman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney writer rips into AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back