Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair bit on the line for both sides in regard to recent GF records, hard to say snagging just this one will put this completely to bed - but it'll certainly help.
Brisbane lost one by a kick.

Even if they lose again on Saturday, I'm not sure it says anything other than grand finals are really difficult to win.

And if they win, what are they putting to bed? They were sublime last year.

Here We Go Again GIF

A fair bit on the line for both sides in regard to recent GF records, hard to say snagging just this one will put this completely to bed - but it'll certainly help.
If we win this one I would say all Swans fans but the terminally persecutionist will grow two inches in height.

Fancy that.....

Also in 1996, Swans made the grand final vs North and the Sydney forward line was lead by a generational key forward in Tony Lockett.

Yet the swans won the 2005 flag that had Barry Hall kick 80 goals in that season. Crazy that Barry Hall kicked 2 goals out the swans 8 goals and swans remarkably won a grand final.
Anyway the poster that prompted this discussion was making an Oracle of Delphi-like pronouncement about the collective mental processes of the literally hundreds of players and staff that pass through a professional football club over the course of a decade that no-one - let alone an anonymous schmoe on Big Footy - could ever possibly claim to know.

A good battle of the finals chokers this week, it could be close but a terrible game.

Brisbane Lions have never beaten a non Victorian team on the MCG…

Whilst Sydney just can’t win grand finals.
Or it could be an absolute belter; truly one for the ages.

FMD you must be great fun at dinner parties.

A good battle of the finals chokers this week,
Ironic words there mate considering the club you support and your choice of avatar as well.:laughv1:

Ironic words there mate considering the club you support and your choice of avatar as well.:laughv1:

Yet Carlton has only won 33% of the Grand Finals they have played in during the AFL era. Astoundingly poor.

I can see Brisbane beat a non Vic side in the MCG this weekend.

Sydney can win grand finals. They won in 2005 and 2012.

Could of easily added 2006 and 2016 if luck went their way.
Yeah, everything went wrong for them in 2016.

2005 and 2012 were wins against the odds.

For mine, since 2000, I see two GFs where they went in favourites, and two flags.

Juicy prospect for us neutrals. The loser (both dislike the MCG so anything can happen) will get a massive pile on of ridicule.

But yeah the Swans should have won in 14, 16 and 22 but went missing when it mattered. Will the ghosts of the past continue to haunt them ??
The Swans should have won in 2022? What planet are you living on??

Brisbane lost one by a kick.

Even if they lose again on Saturday, I'm not sure it says anything other than grand finals are really difficult to win.

And if they win, what are they putting to bed? They were sublime last year.
Agreed, that's why I was more talking about Sydney in this thread specific to Sydney's recent GFs record

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet still beat the Bears when it counted last year, so what does say about their finals performances? Hell, the interstate supporters bitch about the MCG, yet when the Bears had an entire season in their home ground, they still couldn’t even make the grand final!!!

Plus South Melbournes record is even worse than ours, which was the whole point of this thread.

Nothing will change something that has already happened…wow, thanks Aristotle, any other pearls of wisdom you’d like to impart?
Seems the point went over your head, as it was a pretty clear response to the thread being bumped and the comment that Swans winning this GF would help the way that their record in GF’s is viewed.

(both dislike the MCG so anything can happen)
I'm not sure either team necessarily dislikes the MCG itself. Probably dislike the fact we're forced to play the Grand Final there in a league where most of the teams have the home state advantage and get to play on a ground they've had far more exposure to throughout the season.

No such issue for either team this weekend & no excuses.

Geelong kicked over 100pts in something like 7 of their last 10 games that year. Finished 3 games and 15% above #2. They were humming

But not as hummi g as Sydney. They were going along nicely until the grand final :( (side note revisionist history and all but I wanted a Swans win in both 16 and 22!l).

I'm not sure either team necessarily dislikes the MCG itself. Probably dislike the fact we're forced to play the Grand Final there in a league where most of the teams have the home state advantage and get to play on a ground they've had far more exposure to throughout the season.

No such issue for either team this weekend & no excuses.
And yet, we will still hear some.

Yeah, everything went wrong for them in 2016.

2005 and 2012 were wins against the odds.

For mine, since 2000, I see two GFs where they went in favourites, and two flags.
From another thread

Sydney were favorites in 2005, 2014 and 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back