Sydney's West: NRL heartland it's not, AFL heartland it could be!

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Aussie Rules is much more advanced in NSW than when the Sydney Swans first came . I have to look no further than the increase in participation rates , the new clubs and teams .

Yeah, I won't argue that, but it's just not as far advanced as some people like to suggest. I'm not having a go at you, just some others that talk as though the Swans got no crowds in the 80's.

I think we're more or less of the same opinion, just arguing about semantics.

this year:
Sydney15.10 (100)North Melbourne13.7 (85)SCG21,929Sunday, 5 July

23 years ago, same team:

Sydney13.13 (91)North Melbourne14.11 (95)SCG26,58113 June 1986

or how about when we compare the Swans highest SCG crowd of this year?
Sydney12.12 (84)Carlton9.13 (67)SCG30,834Saturday, 18 April

adn in 1986:
Sydney18.12 (120)Carlton13.20 (98)SCG37,8734 May 1986

It's illustrative of the fact Aussie Rules hasn't really come as far as many of us would like to think. Having said all this, I do want a Western Sydney team, and think that Sydney could support it, but we need also to be realistic about the place of footy in Sydney's sporting landscape.
Not to mention this game 30 years ago in Sydney:

Sun 10-Jun-1979
North Melbourne 16.9 105
Hawthorn 23.18 156
Att:31,395 Venue: S.C.G.

patience people, WS will be successful just like GC, the AFL is making sure of it, Just think about a future Hayne, Slater, Inglis type that chooses to play Aussie Rules, it will happen, more money in our game.

you may be right about that

I know I'm right about that because it's there on the ABS website .

i'm just saying that greater participation rates aren't really a sign of greater popularity.

Yes they are .
When the Swans came to town even though they played to good crowds they were criticized for the lack of juniors .
Now that there has been sustained junior growth you're ignoring that ?

And what's with quoting North's figures . We all now how nobody watches them anymore .

There's no doubt that GWS will be a successful club eventually, but there is no way AFL is going to be the number 1 sport in NSW

How can they be with 2 teams for people to follow compared to 10 RL teams?!

If in 20 years GWS have an average home crowd of 20k+ and we're seeing all-sydney clashes pulling in 60k+ every year, then the AFL will consider it a success; a huge success if done in 10 years.

The AFL doesn't care about taking over, it just wants the revenue from advertising and broadcasters.
in a city in excess of 4 million (currently), if the there are in excess of 200,000 people watching each match involving a Sydney side each week, then they'll be more than happy.

There are douchebags of all persuasions who peddle this rumour. It's not exclusive to NRL fans. Once again, is not the OP implying that AFL could become number 1?

No Sir, I am not.
What I am saying is that it appears the AFL is on the right track establishing West Sydney FC because there are a lot of people there who don't have a team to represent them in any sport.
AFL has a huge opportunity in this part of the world and the myth that West Sydney is "League Hearthland" stands up quite poorly when less than half of the population cant ID the biggest star in that region, Jarryd Hayne.
Not once did I say "AFL could become number 1" in Western Sydney.
If anything the "number 1" sport in W/Sydney would be association football.

There's no doubt that GWS will be a successful club eventually, but there is no way AFL is going to be the number 1 sport in NSW

If in 20 years GWS have an average home crowd of 20k+ and we're seeing all-sydney clashes pulling in 60k+ every year, then the AFL will consider it a success; a huge success if done in 10 years.

The AFL doesn't care about taking over, it just wants the revenue from advertising and broadcasters.
in a city in excess of 4 million (currently), if the there are in excess of 200,000 people watching each match involving a Sydney side each week, then they'll be more than happy.

Agree with that. While I think eventually NSW could shift from League-centric to AR-centric, even the most optimistic of us wouldn't be silly enough to think it could happen within about 50 years. And let's face it, Andy D doesn't seem like the kind of bloke who'd be thinking so far into the future. He wants short-mid term success, which means he just wants to carve a niche out. He wants the recognition within his lifetime, thank you very much (and who can blame him? It's incredibly rare to see any leader commit to something that won't be realised until well after they're forgotten, religion aside).

Really, I'm assuming your family just arrived here on the latest BA flight from Heathrow ?

Not quite, we're not English for one - far from it. And secondly, they couldn't give a stuff about the AFL. Believe it or not, theres a few of those people around, even in Melbourne let alone Sydney. People on both sides of this are incredibly delusional; it will be nice to see it play out as both the West Sydney AFL teams survives alongside rugby league.

I don't think so... putting aside the Olympic stadium games, at the SCG think they had one crowd of higher than 30K this year.

Back in the early 80s crowds were around the 20K mark, and thirty years on, they've not really moved much higher. I'd guess that it's more popular now with a greater market presence, but it's still barely reported in the Sydney media, whereas league is all over the place.

Be realistic. Thirty years of the Swans, and are we even close to being teh number one football code in NSW? No way... we're number 4 by a distance.
Putting aside the Olympic Stadium games? You mean ignore the 4 biggest drawing matches the Swans have every season... that's great statistical work there...

Back in the early 80s crowds were around the 20K mark. I call bull$hit.
1980-85 counts as early 80s. Bet you that the average Swans crowd was way less than 20k...

this year:
Sydney15.10 (100)North Melbourne13.7 (85)SCG21,929Sunday, 5 July

23 years ago, same team:

Sydney13.13 (91)North Melbourne14.11 (95)SCG26,58113 June 1986

or how about when we compare the Swans highest SCG crowd of this year?
Sydney12.12 (84)Carlton9.13 (67)SCG30,834Saturday, 18 April

adn in 1986:
Sydney18.12 (120)Carlton13.20 (98)SCG37,8734 May 1986

It's illustrative of the fact Aussie Rules hasn't really come as far as many of us would like to think. Having said all this, I do want a Western Sydney team, and think that Sydney could support it, but we need also to be realistic about the place of footy in Sydney's sporting landscape.

So you're comparing the Swans crowds in 86 and 87 with this year... Any reason why you chose 86 and 87? Why not 82 and 83? Or 84-5? Or 92-3? Or any other years at all? Clearly you've had to be selective with your years in your attempt to make a point. It's obvious that the swans crowds and following from 1996 onwards are much stronger than the years prior to 1996.

Personally I think that the All-Sydney matches will be pulling in 60k from match 1. GWS should be reasonably competitive from match 1. If I was a Swans fan I would be circling those dates in my diary.

RL is a shithouse game. No doubt AFL will take over WS. The next generation wont give a shit about how sydney **** think about the AFL, It will all change and signs are positive so far. RL will die in the next 2-3 years anyway

They call it heartland but the crowds they get there are bloody terrible. I lived there in the West, admitted a quite a few years ago now, and it was "nothing land". People couldn't care less. The game is barely discussed by the fans, no-one ever discussed it at work, and the passion for the game was quite low for such a profile sport. If you didn't read the paper you'd have thought the game barely existed. It was a real surprise to me and could see why crowds were low. Our game here, by contrast, is argued/discussed ad nauseum by many.

Interesting to see if that culture's changed any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney people are the worst fair weather fans in Australia, if we can give them some of our AR culture and show them how to support their team we may turn them around. At least the poor sods can watch a decent game for a change.

The ABS doesn't specify specifically for Western Sydney, but nice try nevertheless.

The ABS says that soccer is clearly the dominant football in NSW .
Were do you think that comes from .
Obviously that dominance comes from the population concentration of Sydney .And the WS would be were soccer is most concentrated in Sydney .
I don't know why you have trouble accepting such a straight forward fact .

i live out here in the Greater West (auburn)

i hate to say, but none of the residents here seem particularly interested in ANY sport, let alone afl

the MAJORITY OF THE CITIZENS OUT HERE in the WEST are lebanese, chinese, vietnamese, cambodian and VERY FEW OF THE REGULAR AFL DEMOGRAPHIC (and i didnt say it)

the majority being vietnamese is a sure sign for the afl to quit while they are ahead: ie its YOUR VIETNAM AFL

the MAJORITY OF THE CITIZENS OUT HERE in the WEST are lebanese, chinese, vietnamese, cambodian and VERY FEW OF THE REGULAR AFL DEMOGRAPHIC (and i didnt say it)

These demographics are exactly what the AFL and the new West Sydney FC MUST target from the get go!
I think they can make it happen if they are smart, get involved with these communities and lobby the leaders from these "multicultural" groups. If they do the club will be huge, Collingwoodesk in size within a generation.

These demographics are exactly what the AFL and the new West Sydney FC MUST target from the get go!
I think they can make it happen if they are smart, get involved with these communities and lobby the leaders from these "multicultural" groups. If they do the club will be huge, Collingwoodesk in size within a generation.
I like the way you think mate, Thugby League has left these people to themselves we should strike while the iron is cold so to speak........

Yeah that's right full on. This is our chance to really kill off thugby league in WS for good.

We're not interested in rugby league mate. If rugby league in Australia dies its not the AFL's fault, its your own fault.

All we care about is growing our game of Australian Football to new horizons, if rugby league cant do the same, nothing to do with the AFL.

Have a bitch at News Corp or David Gallop, or your club CEO's of your bad behaving players. The old cliche, you cant stand the heat get the **** out of the kitchen.
The AFL is doing it's own thing, rugby league's slow sink into obscurity is not our problem.

I'm a Rugby fan. But even I think rugby codes will die off soon. Union will die in 6 years and League in 8 and half. Soon, if New Zealand comes a state of Australia, we show showcase our wonderful game over there :thumbsu:

West Sydneys always been an AFL town, the Canterbury Parramatta prelim final had barely any interest in West Sydney. I think they gave out plenty of free tickets to that game just to try and scare off the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's West: NRL heartland it's not, AFL heartland it could be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back