Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon III - with 2023 finals on the line, GWS win by +100 / Nov4 = 7000 days since last final win / RIP D2D and T_S

Remove this Banner Ad

“The Dons hold a formidable 9-5-1 record after 15 games, but they are now 1-1-5 against top-eight sides — with losses to Sydney, Carlton, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and now Geelong — giving cause for concern as they aim to eradicate a 20-year finals win drought in 2024.“

Beat the Giants and drew with Collingwood, all other games against legit finals aspirants they have lost.

Edit: giants were in the 8 when they beat them but it looks like this quote today refers to the Dogs.

This game could — and perhaps should — have been the springboard towards a crack at the top two.

But this result reminds us which teams the Bombers have beaten in 2024 — and which ones they haven't.

Hawthorn, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Adelaide, GWS, North Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast (twice) have been the victories so far, with most of those opponents not in form when the wins came.

The losses? Sydney, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Carlton and now Geelong. The Bombers have lost to the three genuine flag contenders in that list by four goals plus. And even though the Cats had lost six from seven, a win over them would have boosted confidence.

But being swept aside with 10 goals to two after half-time is not a good sign. They are still in the top four, but the big loss also leaves them with a percentage of 99.9, which is not good enough to win a tie-breaker against anyone.

There is also the unavoidable comparison with last year, where the Bombers started 8-3, but finished the year 11-12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Dodoro and his coterie mates seizing power.
Brad to issue a statement, I blame the poor onfield performances on the instability of the board..
we need Dodoro as a rock of stability.
Happy Birthday GIF

Good to see you guys up and about.

Fill us in on draft hopefuls, who's the top of the crop this season?
There’s a 200cm whippet who can kick off both feet. The media can go on about it for years. He even takes set shots with his left or right. Sleeps with the light on though and can’t get the pill.
But you’ve already got one of those.
Haven’t read much about over rated Key Defenders though, will keep ya posted

Miss. I don't want to take any chances. Love to see them drop their last 8.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
If the Pies beat them next week there is a chance they'll be in eighth place. (Provided Port beat the Dogs in Adelaide, Geelong win at home against Hawthorn and Brisbane beat Adelaide at the Gabba.) There's one game separating 3rd and 8th spot. Its at least 50/50 right now.

Port could go either way, Geelong probably look favorites at home as do Brions.

Collingwood are favorites but I'd say its really closer to 50/50 with them as well.

The following week the Pies play Geelong while * play Melbourne so if they beat the GoDEES they'll be ahead of one of Cats or Pies. Melbourne play the WC at the G next week. They're probably 60/40 to win that despite the official odds. If GoDEES beat * the week after they might replace them in the eight.

Its so close, there are six points between 3rd and 13th. One and a half games.

And of those eleven sides from 3rd to 13th the only one with a lower percentage than * is Hawthorn in 13th spot. If the ladder was determined by percentage then * would be in 13th spot. (Crom have a higher %age but are in 14th place and three games plus %age out of the 8.)

There is a very real chance * miss finals but there's also a good chance they make the top four. I reckon there'd be alot of very nervous bummer fans right about now.

Its Penthouse to the shithouse sort of stuff for them.

Last edited:
So tell me honestly ... do you think you'll play finals this year?
Probably not

What I saw on Saturday night was mirror image of the team that fell apart last season.

Probably not

What I saw on Saturday night was mirror image of the team that fell apart last season.
Hard to tell with Bard. Under him composure was always an issue. That finals comeback we had against you lot ten years ago was an exception under Brad. WE rarely came back to win games and often lost them. You can see that look on his face in the box on the weekend ... that "Oh no its happening again" kind of look.

Youse need another coach asap. Its easy to laugh at where we are now but a large portion of that (not all of it) rests on his shoulders.

How's Brad been treating you?

I know you're a fan.

Hard to tell with Bard. Under him composure was always an issue. That finals comeback we had against you lot ten years ago was an exception under Brad. WE rarely came back to win games and often lost them. You can see that look on his face in the box on the weekend ... that "Oh no its happening again" kind of look.

Youse need another coach asap. Its easy to laugh at where we are now but a large portion of that (not all of it) rests on his shoulders.
Every coach gets a honeymoon period, Brad is almost at the end of his.

I was hoping he'd change from lessons learned in the past but so far it's the same Brad.

I'll still cheer him like any footy tragic and hope like hell we can break this finals hoodoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back