gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Just watching the TAC cup today and was impressed with what I saw. I think we might be able to get the player we are after or if not a very good player.

SA
Lewis Johnstone - Key forward, can mark in a contest and presents well. Good athlete. Looks more like a full forward but will be ready in time to replace Fev. (192CM, 87KG)
Hamish Hartlett - Medium sized onballer, fast, ball magnet with a penetrating kick. (182CM, 74KG)

VicC
John Butcher - tall key forward, marks in a contest, marks overhead, looks a good kick and presents well. (197CM, 83KG)
Sam Hughes - small player, can find the footy and kick goals. Too small? (177CM, 66KG)
Jamie Sheehan - midfielder, seems to be able to find the footy and goals. (178CM, 73KG)

Tas
Mitch Robinson - Adam Cooney like. Midfielder who gets a lot of the ball. Older player (19), might be a bit of a roughie but can find the footy. (188CM, 77KG)
Aaron Cornelius - Key forward, looks too short for that position in AFL but is a good mark and gets in the right position. (192CM, 84KG)

VicM
Tyrone Vickery - Very good forward/ruckman, smart and marks well overhead in a contest. Rucked smartly V Naitanui and probably broke even with him and took some good contested marks. Very very impressive. (200CM, 86KG)
Sam Blease - Very good nouse, avasiveness, & awareness, good in traffick and great disposal. Has good pace. Didn't get a load of it but looks a good player.(183CM, 72KG)
Jack Watts - Tall key forward, highly rated, done well in other games, quiet in the final. (194CM, 85KG)
Shaun McKernan - Tall key forward/ruckman. (196CM, 95KG)
Tom Lynch - medium/tall utility. Good overhead mark. (191CM, 84KG)

WA
Nick Naitanui - Ruckman, probably go No. 1.(197CM, 95KG)
Daniel Rich - very good onballer, gets a lot of the footy and has good allround skills, top draft pick. (183CM, 83KG)

NSW

Ranga Edriwickrama - Good player with Sri lankan heriatage, didn't play but is well known. (178CM, 79KG)

I was very impressed with Naitanui, Vickery, Butcher and Johnstone as talls and Rich, Blease and Hartlett looked impressive.

Knowing we will get one of these players makes me very happy.

I see Brett Ratten and Craig Bradley there watching on. Also Kreuzer and Cotchin there for interviews watching.

NAB U18 Championships Record - http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/Development/Under 18 Championships/u18record_small.pdf (Player Info etc)

Anyone else seen much of the kids?

Re: TAC Cup - Kids to look at

Some more from Vic Country

Steele Sidebottom - Silky half back who uses the ball very very well
Nick Suban - ball magnet midfielder who has great penetration with his kicking
Jack Ziebell - Tough at it utility. Can play anywhere
Jordan Roughead - Ruckman who worls all over the ground
Jamie Sheahan - Clever small forward

Vic Metro

Michael Hurley - Plays FB/CHB at junior level. Seen him play at CHF and dominate
Jordan Lisle - FF/CHF who loves a contest and can take a serious mark
David Zaharakis - Speedy wingman, and I mean speedy
Ash Smith - Smooth moving mid
Matt Kilpin - Robust HB. Uses the ball very well
Luke Shuey - Another quality mid
Rory Sloane - Clever small forward that can go forward

i watched natanui play today and i was unimpressed considering all the talk about him being the top prospect.
he got the taps but most of them werent to advantage and around the grounds he was very quiet and i doubt he had more than 10 posessions.
im happy with kreuzer:).

rich is an absolute star- he is a tank and is a fantastic onballer- very tough with good skills. kind of like rhys palmer.

i was extremely impressed with vickery- we shd go after this guy as a tall fwd option. he has good hands and he is quite fast on the lead. is quite skinny still and needs to bulk up but hes a good prospect.

watts is very good as well but hes going to go early in the draft so we wont be able to get our hands on him.

One of the deepest drafts ever, our 1st and 2nd round picks should get a game in '09 regardless of who we get.

EVERYONE IS FORGETING RHYS STANLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEHEHE
Schoenmakers looks the goods!

Alot of quality players.
Would love to snare Hurley or Yarran with our first pick.
Hope we dont draft Lynch.
Goes to my school
A grade tosser

EVERYONE IS FORGETING RHYS STANLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEHEHE
Schoenmakers looks the goods!

Alot of quality players.
Would love to snare Hurley or Yarran with our first pick.
Hope we dont draft Lynch.
Goes to my school
A grade tosser

He will quickly be put into his box.

SA:
Cahill: Shares CHF with Lewi Johnston for the South Australian team and does very well. Excellent athlete with speed, agility and an absolutely massive leap, although needs to gain a few kilos of bulk. One of the best contested marks in the TAC Cup however goalkicking accuraccy is sometimes an issue.

If this counts for anything he looks vaguely like Buddy Franklin.

HBF:
Say Watss Nick Nat Rich Hartlett and one other is drafted in the first 5 and we have pick 6 (or 7) and Yarran and Hurley are available who do you think we would take and who do you think we should take

Butcher or Vickery would be awesome! they look like genuine CHFs, Vickery at 200CM is much more agile than that!
I kept an eye out for players who marked in contests (with contact). We have too many players who get a bump and drop the ball (Hampson, Deluca was a classic), if you're tall, you have to play tall no matter how agile you are.
Butcher used his knee (ah-la fev) and took some good contested one grab marks, plenty of ticks, Vickery took some classic CHF marks, looked like he was used to taking contested grabs.
Johnstone took some good grabs, will fill out great, wish he was taller, maby will grow?

Watts didn't do much until the last quarter but did win player of the tourniment, Vic Metro had a very tall forward line with Vickery the main focus most of the time.

Mitch Robinson from Tassie looked bloody good in a team getting hammered. Put him into our midfield and we could have a real star on our hands.

Given the depth in this years draft, a player like him could go in the second rd meaning we could draft a tall forward with our first pick and still pick up a gun with our second pick.

Going to be very interesting come draft time for Hughes and his team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HBF:
Say Watss Nick Nat Rich Hartlett and one other is drafted in the first 5 and we have pick 6 (or 7) and Yarran and Hurley are available who do you think we would take and who do you think we should take

Hurley.
Multi-talented KPP that can play FB/CHB/CHF at TAC Level. Suggest he'll turn into either a CHB/CHF at AFL level.

Wish Hurley kicked the ball out on the full 5 times n everyone else kicked 5 goals...then maybe he'd slip to our pick.
Seriously tho, alot of names stood up 2day, i wouldn't be supprised if he fell past 5, but yeah, based on 1 game/day.

NAB U18 Championships Record - http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/Development/Under 18 Championships/u18record_small.pdf (Player Info etc)

Michael Hurley (192CM, 92KG) played back and player all right, solid. Looks strong and took some strong marks. Body has developed early. Might not be tall enough in the AFL to play CHF, would need a good leap to play key back, still looks a good player but there are players I'd take ahead of him. Won't look as tall in the AFL but I haven't seen enough of him to make good judgement.

Mitch Robinson from Tassie looked bloody good in a team getting hammered. Put him into our midfield and we could have a real star on our hands.

Given the depth in this years draft, a player like him could go in the second rd meaning we could draft a tall forward with our first pick and still pick up a gun with our second pick.

Going to be very interesting come draft time for Hughes and his team.

Haven't seen the championships yet but from what I'm hearing, Robinson is starting to attract a lot of interest. Really haven't heard anything before today, can anyone give a quick run down on him? Height? Weight? Etc. Also how quick is the guy? Because if he is fairly quick, picking Ziebell, Yarran, Mckernan etc with our first then a quick quality midfielder (Robinson) with our second rounder, would be ideal.

Nat - raw talent who will become a player (not overly wrapped in any of the other WA)

COUNTRY
Butcher - unfortunately too young for this yr
Hunt - a little goer
Sidebottom - maybe

TAS Cornelius - promising 3rd forward type (Allwright might be alright too)

METRO
Blease - showed a bit of toe
Zaharakis - looked ok
On today's game : Vickery, McKernan, Watts in that order
Hurley a likely but may need to grow another inch or two (unless he has Jammo's pace - couldn't tell today)
Stanton seemed athletic and presented well (lower pick poss?)

Hurley really impressed me today. His big tough and strong and can see him being our CHB that we need.

If he slips grab him I say, but I wouldn't mind Yarran either his the type of player we really need as well being a quick classy HFF.

Would be rapt to get either of them

Think we could do better than Yarran at our pick. Around 6-9? Hurley could be around still but if not would definitely get Johnston from SA.

3 Vic boys that really caught my eye today. Very special Mentions to Blease, Zaharakis and Banner.

Michael Hurley Vic - Was very impressive down back today and was rewarded with his clubs most valuable player award. One thing that particularly caught my eye was when there was a huge and high kick to WA attacking zone and Hurley managed to stand his ground in a pack and take a strong mark.
Didn't let the ball go past him today and his rebound work was fantastic.
His got good decision making and his kicking is also very nice.
Though he isn't the quickest bloke going around, he anticipates where the ball will go often and will get in the correct position as soon as he can.
Very good defender for the future.

Tyrone Vickery Vic - 200cm forward/ruckman kicked 3 goals today and was very impressive in both positions. He managed to not only really challenge Naitanui in the ruck and looks a prospect in that position but his marking and leading in the forward line was second to none. Certainly in my opinion was in the best 3 out there. Though rated as a bit of a smokey in this years draft and not rated to the likes of Watts, Rich and Naitanui, he certainly has the potential to be up there with any of them. A fantastic prospect.

Jack Watts Vic - This guy will be unbelievable. Some say in any other draft, he would go number 1. Though didn't get much of the ball, he made an impact when he did. Booted 2 goals today and won the Larke medal for the best division one player in the championships. When he goes for a mark his hands are so clean and like velcro, just seem to stick. Reminds me a lot of Jonathan Brown. Quick on the lead, nice hands and finishes off relatively well. He did miss a few though but that didn't spoil his day. A club like Melbourne who are crying out for a genuine forward should seriously consider taking him number 1 instead of Naitanui if they get the first pick.

Grab rory sloane from metro with a late pick, played junior footy against him and he stiched us up every time. great disposal on both sides, good pace, can play all over and hard worker:thumbsu:

Those that impressed me:

SA:
Hartlett - clean, silky, outstanding disposal. class act.
O'Keefe - Very impressive, great hanfs, long booming kick, good KPP size.
Hall - elusive, quick mid / hff, would be happy to snap him up as a 2nd rounder.
Johnstone - was very good today, however i rate O'Keefe as having more potential.

Vic Ctry:

Ziebell - a bit quiet today, but is all class and can play midfield or kpp.
Butcher - good agility for a big man, good hands, not convinced on him though.

TAS:

Allwright - thought he was outstanding today. great size, good decision maker, good disposal, has the size to play a leading half forward, great hands.
Robinson - very good, especially early, finds plenty of the ball and is a quite tall for a midfielder / wingman
Cornelius - Good solid forward, exceptional hands, not convinced a 1st rounder though.

The usual suspects in the last game played well: Hurley, Natanui, Rich, Watts. Liked the look of Yarran and Stanton. McKernan is a good player however i hope we don't take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

TAC Cup - Kids to look at (Circa 2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back