Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch McGovern on 3AW

On the last month of footy. Yeh, we reckon it’s our contested work both inside and out. Whether we absorb it or bring it, it’s just not where we want it to be.

I think most of us see this. The question is why and why for so long?
Yeah I'm reminded of a play on the wing where Kennedy smashed into a Port body and the ball spilled to our advantage which led to a goal or a shot at goal, can't remember which, but I couldn't help thinking we need to see more of that. The opposition is doing that to us all the time.

One of my biggest takeaways from this game is that De Koning's incredible clearance work has been masking a truly inept midfield setup this season.

Some of our best wins were off the back of TDK getting rolling at the centre clearances and just forcing the ball forward at will. When it's left to the actual midfielders, we look incredibly basic and come up very very short.
Yeah with our current system it's been basically TDK or Cripps or bust as far as winning genuine good clearances.

Carroll can’t play. He has terrible awareness. He can never get out of trouble. He fumbles. He can’t kick. He’s slow. He’s physically weak. Running he is anywhere near an AFL side.
Completely disagree. He's young and makes mistakes and doesn't have great strength. But he shows heaps of promise and I think his awareness is good for a player so young. He also works really hard. Definitely a promising player.

We have a next man up mentality- so whether that is Binns, Lemmy, Akuie, Mirkov, Marchbank, Martin or Cuningham who knows.
The only one of those who possibly could justify his place in the side is Martin, and his body is unreliable. None of the rest make our team better or even keep us at the level we're at.

Once you get past two or three injuries, next man up no longer works, too much of a drop in quality

But why has our midfield contested work gone to shit? We were winning games off that phase of the game only last year and it’s absolutely fallen in a heap

It’s also the only phase of a footy game that’s predictable and have any real control over, is that the problem that we are far too predictable?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's like the fable with the donkey.
Media said we need to work on other stuff. We did, and we forfeited our contested advantage doing that.
Can we get the balance right?

One of my biggest takeaways from this game is that De Koning's incredible clearance work has been masking a truly inept midfield setup this season.

Some of our best wins were off the back of TDK getting rolling at the centre clearances and just forcing the ball forward at will. When it's left to the actual midfielders, we look incredibly basic and come up very very short.
Yep.
Midfield setup. Not midfield.👍💙

Who is our midfield coach?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I bought a GF package that’s what happened….and I humbly apologise to you all and my wallet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I said to the family after the Geelong game “I can’t see us losing another game this year”

Clearly the blame lies here……..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one of those who possibly could justify his place in the side is Martin, and his body is unreliable. None of the rest make our team better or even keep us at the level we're at.

Once you get past two or three injuries, next man up no longer works, too much of a drop in quality

All of those players are outstanding in their own special way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch McGovern on 3AW

On the last month of footy. Yeh, we reckon it’s our contested work both inside and out. Whether we absorb it or bring it, it’s just not where we want it to be.

I think most of us see this. The question is why and why for so long?
The one positive is that we know exactly what our weakness is (as opposed to last year, where no one had any idea). Theoretically, it should be an easy fix.

Centre clearances aren't working, especially without TDK and Walsh struggling to impact. Perhaps we need to setup for a repeat stoppage and get more numbers around the footy.

Are we setting up too attacking in general play? Doesn't feel like our half forwards are coming up to the contest between the arcs to put pressure on the opposition. Acres is good setting up defensive side. Newman and Doc did it well last year but Newman's been deployed elsewhere and Doc isn't an option.

Our D50 stoppage setup and ground ball game is another story altogether. We look completely disorganised in that aspect of the game, particularly defending deep kicks to the top of the square.

Not essential, but does add to marking options and potentially minimises 3rd tall defenders from intercepting or double teaming Harry and Charlie

I guess our version has always been Martin
Oh, if we are talking a third forward capable of marking a ball sure but not a third full forward, we already have two of them.

Have been super triggered by our midfield set-up all year. Even when we looked like a million bucks we were still only playing dominant patches of footy and when we weren't dominating, the midfield looked suspect.

What I'm seeing, and I'm no expert. Is our midfielders moving to be the outlet and back in one player to win the contested possession and get it to them. What happens so much is that the one player is accompanied by 2 or 3 oppo players, worried out of it and the ball spills free to them while our two other mids are out of the play. If we don't get a clean possession out of the middle, we rarely win it. Once that ball hits the ground or is being fumbled around its pretty much guaranteed we won't win that clearance.

Happens around the ground a fair bit too, we just have no presence if we don't get clean possession.

Personally I think the ruck contest is far too unpredictable to not be defensive minded in some way, shape or form around the stoppage, but we seem to be too keen to spread from it too soon while the other team seem to have 3 guys hunting, and winning it.

As I said, no expert but what I've eyeballed across the whole season. For what it's worth i think we're in a slump and can certainly turn this around just in time for a killer finals run!

The bigger issue is 3 games in a row on the concrete in 13 days.

Particularly given the North game was such a tough contest. Because it was 2nd v 17th it was never acknowledged what an effort it took to break them.

With the injuries we were ripe for any half decent team to take advantage.
Further to this point, the figures showed the Port love a Friday night and also love Marvel stadium - which makes sense. With the way they play an indoor stadium is a dream.

Neither are excuses, we should overcome them, but everything in the pot does perhaps explain at least part of it.

We need to trade for about 4 players who aren't getting a game at other clubs but can come straight in for us.

A full forward , a centre half back, and two fast running midfielders.

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Problem with this is those are 3 positions clubs dont trade away. Essentially every club is looking those 3 positions and the ones that have them aren't exactly offloading them for a pittance.

For me, Season is over. I find blowing a top 2 spot more frustrating than winning the spoon.

Despite Cripps having a cracking season our midfield is too inconsistent. And we have too many injury prone players on our list which has affected our depth, costing us key games.

I'm moving to the list management thread and watching the Olympics..

Further to this point, the figures showed the Port love a Friday night and also love Marvel stadium - which makes sense. With the way they play an indoor stadium is a dream.

Neither are excuses, we should overcome them, but everything in the pot does perhaps explain at least part of it.

I just can’t get over the 1 solitary goal in a half of football. There’s really no circumstances that make that understandable or acceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back