Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
1719400900833.png -v- 1719400936434.png

Last time we met
Earlier this year it was a deeply emotional match up at Optus. Our boys had just learned of the passing of Cam McCarthy, and just getting through the match was an amazing effort for some of the players that had been close to him.

Comparison now
With the season well into the second half, a few interesting stats.

1719399669255.png
Venue record and game keys
We've only won just under 29% of our games at the SCG. (28.95% of our games to be precise).
19 games, for 5 wins, a draw and 13 losses.

So, what have we got to do to win?

Not drop our bundle
Like we did when Paul Roos coached his first AFL game
A Sydney team in crisis had just seen Rocket Eade resign and Paul Roos appointed for what was expected to be the very short term until Terry Wallets arrived from Footscray. We went in as favourites for once - and got belted by 77 points...

Or like we did in Drum's last game as coach of Freo (also at the SCG)...

Conversely, we need to mimic what we did in round 9 of 2023 at the SCG!!
Serong and Brayshaw had over 30 disposals each, Lukey Jackson kicked 3 goals, and Treacy, Amiss and Freddie kicked 2 each, with Banfield and Switta chipping in a goal apiece. My buddy JOM probably played his best ever match for us with 27 disposals, and we were efficient going forward while also being very stingy in the backline.

Also we need to at least get a free if the Swans mascot comes on the field early...

Will our midfield stand up to the Swans intense pressure?
We actually get more stoppage clearances than the Swans, and almost exactly the same centre clearances.
However we handball far more than they do, and have more uncontested possessions.
We tackle less, but (surprisingly) have fewer turnovers and clangers.

Can we be efficient going forward?
It takes us over 31 disposals (31.44) to get each goal. The Swans get a goal nearly 25% more often, needing under 24 possessions (23.7) for each goal. It isn't just explained by our patchy accuracy in front of goals either - they only need 13.19 disposals for every scoring shot, whereas we need 15.99 disposals per scoring shot. We do tackle slightly more inside 50, so maybe if we can keep that pressure up...

Will we get over 100 points, and can we keep Sydney under 100 points?
In games at the SCG we've only ever scored 100 or more 5 times - and Sydney have scored over 100 against us at the venue 9 times. When we score over 100 we've won 4 of 5.

The loss was by 4 points in 2008, when we kicked 15.18 against the Swannies very straight 17.10, with 8 goals from Goodsey.
Thanks Luke MacPharlin for 0.3, and Mundy and Sandi each kicking 0.1. MUNDY!! Grrrrr...

Prediction
They've added key players like Grundy, but also unearthed and developed some real low profile youngsters like Rowbottom. Add in pieces that play roles like Amartey and McInerney and the best coach in the game currently. It will be a real test for us.

All of that said, let us also just spare a second to understand just how awesome this season by the Swans has been so far.
A club playing season 150 of its history is putting up its second best record since 1935.

If they win against us, the Swans will have the best record their club has ever had at this stage of a season. In 150 years.

Can we rise to the occasion and spoil the run they are on?

And if we lose?

We'll all still be able to recall that gorgeous day at the SCG in round 9 2010, when the SCG saw the emergence of the young scrawny kid Nat Fyfe (23 disposals). Some rookie bloke named Barlow jumped on board for another sensational game (19 disposals and 10 tackles), and Morabito played one of his best games for us (8 disposals, a goal and 5 tackles).

The heavens opened later in the afternoon as the tears flowed from the Swans fans, I screamed my guts out from the upper deck of the SCG Members stand, and we delivered an upset win that shone the light on our young stars...

Last edited:

I didn't like the 2002 game :(. wow, how did the AFL continue with a club that was only attracting 16,000 people?

My fave was the 2013 Preliminary final
wel lworth the support. it is now huge club with many many more members.

This is the role of the AFL to expand into all areas of australia regardless of crowd sizes and who knows maybe one day we can expand international

PNG, New Zealand.

another 150 yrs

Last time we met
Earlier this year it was a deeply emotional match up at Optus. Our boys had just learned of the passing of Cam McCarthy, and just getting through the match was an amazing effort for some of the players that had been close to him.

Comparison now
With the season well into the second half, a few interesting stats.

View attachment 2031087
Venue record and game keys
We've only won just under 29% of our games at the SCG. (28.95% of our games to be precise).
19 games, for 5 wins, a draw and 13 losses.

So, what have we got to do to win?

Not drop our bundle
Like we did when Paul Roos coached his first AFL game
A Sydney team in crisis had just seen Rocket Eade resign and Paul Roos appointed for what was expected to be the very short term until Terry Wallets arrived from Footscray. We went in as favourites for once - and got belted by 77 points...

Or like we did in Drum's last game as coach of Freo (also at the SCG)...

Conversely, we need to mimic what we did in round 9 of 2023 at the SCG!!
Serong and Brayshaw had over 30 disposals each, Lukey Jackson kicked 3 goals, and Treacy, Amiss and Freddie kicked 2 each, with Banfield and Switta chipping in a goal apiece. My buddy JOM probably played his best ever match for us with 27 disposals, and we were efficient going forward while also being very stingy in the backline.

Also we need to at least get a free if the Swans mascot comes on the field early...

Will our midfield stand up to the Swans intense pressure?
We actually get more stoppage clearances than the Swans, and almost exactly the same centre clearances.
However we handball far more than they do, and have more uncontested possessions.
We tackle less, but (surprisingly) have fewer turnovers and clangers.

Can we be efficient going forward?
It takes us over 31 disposals (31.44) to get each goal. The Swans get a goal nearly 25% more often, needing under 24 possessions (23.7) for each goal. It isn't just explained by our patchy accuracy in front of goals either - they only need 13.19 disposals for every scoring shot, whereas we need 15.99 disposals per scoring shot. We do tackle slightly more inside 50, so maybe if we can keep that pressure up...

Will we get over 100 points, and can we keep Sydney under 100 points?
In games at the SCG we've only ever scored 100 or more 5 times - and Sydney have scored over 100 against us at the venue 9 times. When we score over 100 we've won 4 of 5.

The loss was by 4 points in 2008, when we kicked 15.18 against the Swannies very straight 17.10, with 8 goals from Goodsey.
Thanks Luke MacPharlin for 0.3, and Mundy and Sandi each kicking 0.1. MUNDY!! Grrrrr...

Prediction
They've added key players like Grundy, but also unearthed and developed some real low profile youngsters like Rowbottom. Add in pieces that play roles like Amartey and McInerney and the best coach in the game currently. It will be a real test for us.

All of that said, let us also just spare a second to understand just how awesome this season by the Swans has been so far.
A club playing season 150 of its history is putting up its second best record since 1935.

If they win against us, the Swans will have the best record their club has ever had at this stage of a season. In 150 years.

Can we rise to the occasion and spoil the run they are on?

And if we lose?

We'll all still be able to recall that gorgeous day at the SCG in round 9 2010, when the SCG saw the emergence of the young scrawny kid Nat Fyfe (23 disposals). Some rookie bloke named Barlow jumped on board for another sensational game (19 disposals and 10 tackles), and Morabito played one of his best games for us (8 disposals, a goal and 5 tackles).

The heavens opened later in the afternoon as the tears flowed from the Swans fans, I screamed my guts out from the upper deck of the SCG Members stand, and we delivered an upset win that shone

Lets Go Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

I always prefer it when no-one gives a chance in hell.
Yeah. I’m actually looking forward to this game. Not stressed about us choking.

Just go out there, have fun, see if you knock the birds off the perch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that game in 2010 as it was the first time I'd ever had a good look at that Fyfe kid. Wow! It was from that match that I started telling my friends he was the best kid in the game. According to my wife it is one of only two things I ever got right.

This time you have a number of midfield guns starting to blossom as well as a ruck duo that will wear Grundy down, and a couple of key forwards that will be so good that Collingwood and Geelong are probably already preparing third-party deals for them.

All the best.

Yep given our backline all things being equal Sydney get a comfortable win. So we need to play out of our skins and they need to be off by whatever fraction. But they are due to drop a game at some point, may as well be the baby dockers

We go okay when we arent the favourites.
Personally, I like the idea of going into a game where if we lose, well we expected it....but if we win, its a very nice surprise. Takes the pressure of supporters :)
Sydney playing very well and deserve their top spot.... But any team can have a drop off. Even down 5% could give us a sniff. We have shown that our good is very good. This is good game to see where we are actually at.
I just hope they dont blow us away. Can cope with a close lose and a decent showing....anything less than that will be annoying.

We go okay when we arent the favourites.
Personally, I like the idea of going into a game where if we lose, well we expected it....but if we win, its a very nice surprise. Takes the pressure of supporters :)
Sydney playing very well and deserve their top spot.... But any team can have a drop off. Even down 5% could give us a sniff. We have shown that our good is very good. This is good game to see where we are actually at.
I just hope they dont blow us away. Can cope with a close lose and a decent showing....anything less than that will be annoying.
Yep, ignoring losing Pearce this is going to be a great barometer of where we are really at 👍🏻

Really have to get on top of the midfield, and the backline really has to avoid giving too many marks inside 50 with Draper and Davies lacking in a bit of muscle against the Swans forwards. Chappy, Clark, Aish, Ryan and Walker really need to help those guys as much as possible, with Sharp, Johnson and O'Meara (when playing wing) getting back to help.

We have to take our chances as well - so getting the shots inside 30m is crucial, and hopefully the boys have their kicking boots on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back