Tallangatta & DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Larry makes a good point. While it makes sense for Bullioh to leave the Upper Murray because they want to play in a league that has a strong junior competition, it would create a Tallangatta Valley Cluster. Good on Bullioh for wanting to give themselves better opportunities but in the current climate it won’t be healthy to have two sides in the same league only a small distance from each other.
A strong junior comp in the TDFL? Have you looked a results of the juniors this year? Nearly every game has been a 1 sided flogging, half the teams don’t have enough players and some don’t have teams at all forcing the under 17s to have a completely differnt draw to the other grades

How can you call that strong junior competition ?

Big Larry makes a good point. While it makes sense for Bullioh to leave the Upper Murray because they want to play in a league that has a strong junior competition, it would create a Tallangatta Valley Cluster. Good on Bullioh for wanting to give themselves better opportunities but in the current climate it won’t be healthy to have two sides in the same league only a small distance from each other.

What, like Wang and Wang Rovers? Shepp Bears, Shepp United, Shepp Swans and Mooroopna? Wodonga Raiders and Wodonga Bulldogs? Three examples of clubs located close by to each other playing in the same league.

To me, it is a case of either Bullioh joins the TDFL or else pretty much no-one from the Upper Murray region is playing football in five years' time because all the clubs are kaput because most were too pig-headed to be a part of a composite club. Bullioh are at least making an effort to preserve football beyond the short term.

To be fair morty they are all clubs in large regional centres.

My understanding is that bullioh are sounding out clubs to join the umfnl. Clubs without many juniors like wodonga saints wahgunyah and dmb.

From an upper Murray community point of view this doesn’t help junior footy. There’s enough boys for one full team in the area for under 12’s and 14’s. We would struggle for under 17’s.

But I have no doubt if the opportunity came for bullioh to enter the tdfl on their own they would leave the umfnl for dead.

I’ve said it before.. but the tdfl needs a big revamp.
Lop sided scores.
Horrible junior participation

Now would a league merger between the O&K and TDFL be worth looking at. Split the league into two “conferences”

This creates a new concept which could be easier travel for a few clubs. It can be a new look and exciting for players to join the league with this concept

It will allow some Upper Murray clubs to be apart of it.
I’m going to say maybe Thurgoona being the only nsw club potentially move to the Hume League?

In the current climate of country footy in general, the elephant in the room is too many clubs and not enough players.
TDFL in my mind, have too many clubs as it is. The league was at its strongest in numbers and calibre of players in the 90's and 00's when there was 8 to 10 clubs.
Centring clubs around population areas in the key. If you wiped the slate clean of existing clubs in TDFL, UM and start again with new clubs this would be a point of discussion to start on:
Yackandandah/Baranduda
Beechworth
Barnawartha/Chiltern
Corowa/Rutherglen
Mitta United/Tallangatta/Bullioh
KeiwaSC/Dederang MB (Kiewa Valley)
Upper Murray
Thurgoona

In the current climate of country footy in general, the elephant in the room is too many clubs and not enough players.
TDFL in my mind, have too many clubs as it is. The league was at its strongest in numbers and calibre of players in the 90's and 00's when there was 8 to 10 clubs.
Centring clubs around population areas in the key. If you wiped the slate clean of existing clubs in TDFL, UM and start again with new clubs this would be a point of discussion to start on:
Yackandandah/Baranduda
Beechworth
Barnawartha/Chiltern
Corowa/Rutherglen
Mitta United/Tallangatta/Bullioh
KeiwaSC/Dederang MB (Kiewa Valley)
Upper Murray
Thurgoona
The horse has already bolted.

All comps 16 a side would alleviate a lot of pressure. Across 1's and 2s, this is 44 less players needed every week in the league, the equivalent of a team. That's not including junior sides. On the small grounds, would make for better footy, and decrease a bit of the strain on player points and payments.
Worth a try in the current climate at least. If it doesn't work, more drastic action could be taken.

Interesting when the whole talk about merging or footy clubs changing leagues we all
Have opinions on what’s right for a certain football club. Netball doesn’t seem to ever get a mention.
I know. Talking to many in the upper Murray. The Netball players actually feel stronger about not going down the mountain than the footballers.
I suspect clubs would need both football and netball to “go along for the ride”

What, like Wang and Wang Rovers? Shepp Bears, Shepp United, Shepp Swans and Mooroopna? Wodonga Raiders and Wodonga Bulldogs? Three examples of clubs located close by to each other playing in the same league.

To me, it is a case of either Bullioh joins the TDFL or else pretty much no-one from the Upper Murray region is playing football in five years' time because all the clubs are kaput because most were too pig-headed to be a part of a composite club. Bullioh are at least making an effort to preserve football beyond the short term.
Would it be fair to say city’s like Wangaratta and Wodonga are slightly larger than towns like Bullioh and Tallangatta? Idiotic comparison.

The fact the TDFL can actually field juniors gives a fair argument in favour of saying it’s a healthy junior competition, regardless of the lopsided results. Mitta have got going again which is lovely to see after some lean years. Reading in the local not so long ago, Chiltern U/14s win the premiership then are short on players come November, it’s a never ending battle, a win in the juniors is just having numbers. The vibe in the O&K is dead, once great clubs evaporating and the junior format gone, could’ve been savoured if we’re really being honest.

The fact the TDFL can actually field juniors gives a fair argument in favour of saying it’s a healthy junior competition, regardless of the lopsided results. Mitta have got going again which is lovely to see after some lean years. Reading in the local not so long ago, Chiltern U/14s win the premiership then are short on players come November, it’s a never ending battle, a win in the juniors is just having numbers. The vibe in the O&K is dead, once great clubs evaporating and the junior format gone, could’ve been savoured if we’re really being honest.

Isn’t Wangaratta to blame for the demise of juniors by having the Junior Comp.

Isn’t Wangaratta to blame for the demise of juniors by having the Junior Comp.
The TDFL robbed the O&K, Beechworth Chiltern and Rutherglen leaving came at a massive cost for the now battling league. The suggestion of the two leagues splitting in a different format is absolutely necessary, I floated this a while back to be met with heckles. NW can almost be thrown in to the Wahgunyah Rutherglen cluster. As for the Wangaratta junior competition, it should be abolished. After graduating from Auskick/U12s, the only option for juniors should be to join O&K (U/14s) then go in to O&M for u/18s if you’re capable, the rest play thirds out bush. The not so talented kids miss out on a game like we used to back before everyone got a gold medal just for showing up. The keen kids will show up to a club where they’ll get a kick and numbers won’t be a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does everyone see Mitta sitting at the moment ? Have struggled when up againest the top sides with Redcliffe only kicking 5 goals in the games they have lost

I think they make the 5 because they have an even draw but will just be making up the numbers

Kiewa going about their bussniess nicely whilst Yackandandah look to be the real deal early on in the season

Wang teams I will give you.
Bulldogs/raiders is a bad comparison with Raiders not winning a game in 2023.
And the shepp teams all in the bottom half of the ladder and Mooroopna at 6 of 12.
Too many teams doesn’t work

Where does everyone see Mitta sitting at the moment ? Have struggled when up againest the top sides with Redcliffe only kicking 5 goals in the games they have lost

I think they make the 5 because they have an even draw but will just be making up the numbers

Kiewa going about their bussniess nicely whilst Yackandandah look to be the real deal early on in the season
Finish 5th because of an easy draw but a decent chunk off the mark. No depth and the top end hasn’t seemed to fire against any notable opposition. Tallangatta probably the 5th best team.

Not good but what do you suggest is put in place to stop the results we are seeing happening ?
Yeah the top four are settled. That 5th spot is up for grabs, with Mitta’s wheels falling off recently.
Opens up for Barny Tallangatta and Thurgoona as a smokey. The others lower are plucky but lack cattle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tallangatta & DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back