Talls???

Remove this Banner Ad

Htfu.

Some clubs have a policy of taking the best available and some have a policy of filling roles. Freo (as I understand it) take the best available based on their opinion of the player. That's why you have no talls in this draft.

Next year's draft is supposed to be special.
And according to Geelong, they had the same policy. It just so happened that they got a few talls out of it, but they never had the intention of taking talls deliberately.

And according to Geelong, they had the same policy. It just so happened that they got a few talls out of it, but they never had the intention of taking talls deliberately.

Indeed, that's right. They just rated Kersten a lot higher than Freo did obviously. The only thing I can think is that Freo wrote him off on the back of his injury, would've been a perfect fit for you guys IMO. I'm stoked he got down to us at #34. Kersten reminds me of Pav :)

All our picks could turn out to be absolute guns.
Still disspointed in our drafting though.
We have a plethora of medium sized players that could be midfielders or used as forward or back.

We have a big massive gap in our squad that needs to be filled ASAP.
Pav cant play forever.
Stuff best available take a small risk an atleast try an fill that hole.
We had 3 top 30 picks would it really of hurt to throw 1 at a key forward prospect.
Will be very hard to pick up a good quality forward ever again if we are never willing to use a decent pick on them.

Sorry Rockford but i hope Kersten ends up an absolute dud.
Stupid from us not to atleast use 1 of our top 30 picks to grab him.
So what if he has a groin injury we shouldnt be expecting him to slot straight in an play every single game.

Key forward is desperatly needed in our list we cant leave it till Pav retires to try an get 1.
We need them now so they can spend a couple of years developing.

We have done well to find some key backs through rookie drafts etc but i doubt we will find quality forwards that way.

Time to get some balls an fill that hole in our list ffs.
I bet our recruiters we have now would of never grabbed Pav an played it safe with more medium sized mid type players.

Like i said all our draft picks could turn out to be absolute stars wont help us though coz we have sweet f***all key forwards to kick to.

Sry Pav gonna have to keep playing till your 40 so that when we finally use a high pick on a forward prospect he has time to develop.

New sign down at Freo HQ..

novacancytalls1.jpg

Indeed, that's right. They just rated Kersten a lot higher than Freo did obviously. The only thing I can think is that Freo wrote him off on the back of his injury, would've been a perfect fit for you guys IMO. I'm stoked he got down to us at #34. Kersten reminds me of Pav :)

How do you figure that? You took him after our 3 early picks, we might have rated Kersten #4?
Anyway you took Hamling before Kersten..

It's quite funny actually, I've read a lot of other team boards to see what they think about their picks. Hard not to find a quote "WTF, another flanker/half back/skinny kid" in nearly every board and about 8 teams' fans screaming "why didn't we get Kersten, travesty!". I think the AFL recruiters are on to something...

An i bet those 8 other teams arent the ones that have won flags recently.
No matter how good the midfield it stil needs big key forwrds to succeed.

Look at Bulldogs they were fine during the season an got by with all their smalls an medium sized players.
Come finals time they struggled due to having no forwards that could compete an provide a target.

Finals footy is where the key forwards show their true value

Well I basically trust the recruiters but I was very suprised we didn't take Kersten when he slipped to 29 but maybe that is just BF group think.

Lastly although not thrilled with the prospect it does look like (in addition to any rookies) we are taking Dawson in the PSD who is apparently (or at least it says so on his CV a KPP). One option is I guess playing him in defence and moving SNOS forward who has shown a bit when moved forward. Since Grover is hanging around for one more season we have that luxury next year.

So tall forwards for next year will be Pav/Kep/MJ with options for SNOS/JA and Clarke or Griffen as well (generally prefer to 211 going forward). Not the worst options around, winning the ball out of the middle will have more influence in the short term.

They could all end up good players. But I don't even see an up and coming Ash Hansen or Quinten Lynch on our list, so we could be forming a West Coast 2006 midfield and still not be anywhere near good enough for a premiership.

Unless we intend playing Pav until he's 40.

Keplar would match the output of a Hansen / Lynch if he had a gun midfield kicking it to him and Pav is 10 times the player Lynch will ever be.

So maybe your list model is "draft the best midfield we can" and that class will offset not drafting for eliete KP forwards.

I'm pissed, actually finding logic in Freo's drafting instead of taking the normal option and take the piss out of it.:D

Keplar would match the output of a Hansen / Lynch if he had a gun midfield kicking it to him and Pav is 10 times the player Lynch will ever be.

So maybe your list model is "draft the best midfield we can" and that class will offset not drafting for eliete KP forwards.

I'm pissed, actually finding logic in Freo's drafting instead of taking the normal option and take the piss out of it.:D
Geez I think you're right, dammit.... :thumbsu:

Friday, November 25, 2011
Source: BigPond Sport
By Michael Rogers

Ross Lyon is all about the engine room

As Matthew Pavlich edges closer to his twilight years, Fremantle will eventually need to turn their recruiting minds to a replacement for the skipper. Not this year, though. The Dockers answered the question of whether their midfield had sufficient depth to carry out Ross Lyon's game plan with a resounding no. They drafted midfielders with all five of their picks, overlooking WA key forward Shane Kersten at no.16 in the process. That quartet will take time but if most of them come on, Fremantle will have a running brigade the envy of the league in a couple of years.

See http://www.bigpondsport.com/giants-hit-the-mark/tabid/91/newsid/80739/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the "Craig Moller"thread there are a couple of coments about Moller and Head, our development guys in the youth programme of whatever it is. Couple that with free agency and there is a lot more room for optimism. other positives are Clarke's development was pretty encouraging last year. He can take a genuine pack mark, no dobt about it, and has the endurance to make mulitple leads over a long period - in fact, Zac gets me pretty excited as a ruck/forward option. Bradley is still only 25 or 26 and with Pav in the forward line releasing a bit of pressure from Braddles and good supply from our devloping mid-field, he will be a more damaging player. Also Morabito is 192cm i think and already built like the proverbial brick dunny. I know he is currently a wing-man/mid type, but a few years down the tack he may be played forward. I'm sure the footy dept have that factored in as a possibility.

Idon't think things are as bad as people are saying. We just like self-indulging our angst and rants aginst the club :D

And of course, we have MJ to point out the way forward.

and seeing that most (not all) Key Forwards take time to develop we have the luxury of taking a few in our rookie draft so they dont clog up our senior list while they are developing. Their are still a few potential good KPP in the rookie draft.

Imagine if we drafted a number of KPP at picks 16 and 20 only to find out tthat they didn't cut it at AFL level while we could have landed a couple of good mids. The strike rate for mids in the early picks during the draft turning out to be a success is far better than KPP. We got stung with Houghton etc...

an
Imagine if we drafted a number of KPP at picks 16 and 20 only to find out tthat they didn't cut it at AFL level while we could have landed a couple of good mids. The strike rate for mids in the early picks during the draft turning out to be a success is far better than KPP. We got stung with Houghton etc...

There may also be lingering doubt as a result of previous attempts to pick up a KPP in that draft pick range

Joel Houghton (Perth, #36)
Ryan Murphy (#12)
Daniel Schell (#18)

It's definitely a grey area, top 10 pick KPP seem to go on to have standout careers after than your looking at the support act.

The more talls you recruit in cumulative drafts the better chance you have of one succeeding, look at WCE, Geelong, Hawthorn You'd think they really have no pressing need for more talls but.. what happens next stuns onlookers as the likes of McInnes, Hamling, Kersten Gunston are added to their list in the 2011 offseason. Similarly, the standalone 2 tall project rookie talls on the rookie list for 3 years and a PSD great white hope doesn't provide the same level of optimism when not supported by further quality competition for a senior berth.

An i bet those 8 other teams arent the ones that have won flags recently.
No matter how good the midfield it stil needs big key forwrds to succeed.

Look at Bulldogs they were fine during the season an got by with all their smalls an medium sized players.
Come finals time they struggled due to having no forwards that could compete an provide a target.

Finals footy is where the key forwards show their true value

How'd those guys go when they had Baz anyways?

I like the idea of Zac Clarke being developed as a permanent CHF. He has the mobility and skills and his endurance is excellent. Plus he can also take a grab.

As a pure ruckman he is still too light but as a free ranging key forward a la Reiwoldt I think he has the goods. Chuck in Kep and Pav and there are our three tall forwards.

Also, anyone know what height Fyfe is now. He is still listed as 186cm but he appears taller than that. He would fill the spot at CHF very well I think.

What say ye all?

Zac Clarke is not forward. full stop. ok down there for 2-3 mins a quarter at best...just doesnt have the footy smarts to be a forward.

Bradley - proved early on he can play that role but then struggled getting/maintaining his body & that will be a problem for the rest of his career. he just has to be managed. i can see him starting out as preferred option.

Anthony - Forget him as a forward. Watched him at Subi a few times...he just isn't big enough to play a key forward post - he should be developed in that 3rd tall role down back...otherwise enjoy Wafl.

Griffin - Think Mark Seaby. If your happy him playing that 1 mark 1 goal role then go for it. I'm not.

Silvagni - Talk about robbing peter to pay paul. Snos if played as Full Back next year will pushing Top 5 in our F & B with a full year.

McPharlin - haven't been down this track before?

Johnson - Not a KPP in my eyes...more a floater & pointer

Pav - Clearly must play CHF/FF role in 2012

So the way I see it Bradley/Pav will fill the FF/CHF roles early on in 2012...if we get injuries to 1 or both of them we'll be in trouble & filling gaps again. I think Freo are stupid if they don't look at Rookie listing Callum Wilson or at the very least Tom Lee.

Zac Clarke is not forward. full stop. ok down there for 2-3 mins a quarter at best...just doesnt have the footy smarts to be a forward.

Bradley - proved early on he can play that role but then struggled getting/maintaining his body & that will be a problem for the rest of his career. he just has to be managed. i can see him starting out as preferred option.

Anthony - Forget him as a forward. Watched him at Subi a few times...he just isn't big enough to play a key forward post - he should be developed in that 3rd tall role down back...otherwise enjoy Wafl.

Griffin - Think Mark Seaby. If your happy him playing that 1 mark 1 goal role then go for it. I'm not.

Silvagni - Talk about robbing peter to pay paul. Snos if played as Full Back next year will pushing Top 5 in our F & B with a full year.

McPharlin - haven't been down this track before?

Johnson - Not a KPP in my eyes...more a floater & pointer

Pav - Clearly must play CHF/FF role in 2012

So the way I see it Bradley/Pav will fill the FF/CHF roles early on in 2012...if we get injuries to 1 or both of them we'll be in trouble & filling gaps again. I think Freo are stupid if they don't look at Rookie listing Callum Wilson or at the very least Tom Lee.

Stop it. That sort of logic is not really suited to the preseason.

How do you figure that? You took him after our 3 early picks, we might have rated Kersten #4?
Anyway you took Hamling before Kersten..

We did take Hamling before Kersten, I'm not sure I see your point. They're both talls, and they're good mates.

Personally, I am surprised you guys didn't take Kersten (and glad you didn't) but I don't think the pressure to get a tall is as dire as some are making out. If Lyon moves Pavlich off the ball and plays him purely out of FF/CHF then it'll extend his career by a bit.. that's where my comment earlier that next years draft is supposed to be deep was headed, they'll look to get the talls to develop to replace Pav next season I'd say.

Fyfe is too valuable an on-baller to play CHF and Clarke is not enough of a footballer yet.

Only until our young batch of midfield guns comes through

I reckon Nat would make a better CHF than mid in the long term and when we have guys like Mora, Pitt, Mundy, Michie,Sheridan, Barlow and co tearing it up through the middle Fyfe and Crozier up forward would make helluva team.

RE Clarke he is only 22 and is on the way to being a very good player - unless you tuned out for the 2nd half of the 2011 season.

Only until our young batch of midfield guns comes through

I reckon Nat would make a better CHF than mid in the long term and when we have guys like Mora, Pitt, Mundy, Michie,Sheridan, Barlow and co tearing it up through the middle Fyfe and Crozier up forward would make helluva team.

RE Clarke he is only 22 and is on the way to being a very good player - unless you tuned out for the 2nd half of the 2011 season.

agree with all this. i can see lyon playing fyfe like reiwoldt or hird, an around the ground perpetual motion machine who can mark, create goals, kick goals and do it well enough to appear not to have an opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Talls???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back