Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the Devils logo in the Talent League but I'd hope they ditch the state colours for the most part. Rename the U19 side to the Mariners and they could use something like this as their logo in the AFL.
View attachment 1687037
I'm starting to think they'll use the green but potentially steer clear of the state colours. Interesting you've used lime green as I thought that would be an option alongside the standard Tassie green. Imagine a lime green away jumper!

Something else

Homer Simpson Yes GIF

I'm starting to think they'll use the green but potentially steer clear of the state colours. Interesting you've used lime green as I thought that would be an option alongside the standard Tassie green. Imagine a lime green away jumper!

They could do worse than the Aston Martin F1 dark green/lime green combo. It looks great IMO and as you suggested it would provide an elite clash option.

My line of thinking was it’d be like Adelaide (and West Coast to a lesser extent) using the state colours but there’s a big difference in the shade of blue (and a replacement of black for WC). Couple that with the more modern idea of a bright unique colour like Port, Freo and GWS, but minimal in its use. I’d hope they go for a white clash jumper if lime green is one of their colours.

My line of thinking was it’d be like Adelaide (and West Coast to a lesser extent) using the state colours but there’s a big difference in the shade of blue (and a replacement of black for WC). Couple that with the more modern idea of a bright unique colour like Port, Freo and GWS, but minimal in its use. I’d hope they go for a white clash jumper if lime green is one of their colours.
Oh, of course. Highlight colours are typically just that. I threw the lime green clash idea out for discussion more than anything. It won't happen. But one of the challenges me teams face is differentiation and we are seeing highlight greens and pinks used in soccer so there are opportunities for clubs like Tasmania to claim green as their colour, no matter the shade.

I saw someone remark somewhere about sky blue as well (I think for team 20?). There are excellent opportunities to be different from the jump, which is one of the areas I think GWS got right and Gold Coast didn't.

Last edited:
Oh, of course. Highlight colours are typically just that. I threw the lime green clash idea out for discussion more than anything. It won't happen. But one of the challenges me teams face is differentiation and we are seeing highlight greens and pinks used in soccer so there are opportunities for clubs like Tasmania to claim green as their colour, no matter the shade.

I someone remark somewhere about sky blue as well (I think for team 20?). There are excellent opportunities to be different from the jump, which is one of the areas I think GWS got right and Gold Coast didn't.

In the best timeline Gold Coast is orange and GWS is sky blue. Both clubs would then have unique colour branding that would also work way better against their local rivals.

In the best timeline Gold Coast is orange and GWS is sky blue. Both clubs would then have unique colour branding that would also work way better against their local rivals.
100%. At some point I plan on doing a little portfolio of how I think every interstate club should’ve done their branding when they joined the league and those are two of the big ones. Honestly the only non-VIC club that had the best outcome from what they had was Adelaide. Every other club could’ve done something pretty different and GC in orange + GWS in blue is the most glaring one.

I agree 100% with both posts above and have also thought this for a long time too. Surely they could get together and rebrand/reboot both franchises this way. The AFL effectively owns each club. There are too many reasons why this works. Local derbies work better. They are colours that suit and better represent their environment and supporters, and all supporters need to feel their jumper represents them to some degree. They will instantly be recognised as who they are, they would have a proper identity. They are still franchises, they don’t yet have the soul you can call a club, the colours are a big start. Then a simple Australian football template with those colours.

I have already made my thoughts that the team should avoid using the State colours, to preserve its uniqueness for representative levels. Under 18 carnivals, state of origins etc. And also have said how I would like to see more green in the league, as it is the only primary color that does not have a team in the AFL at the moment.

Found close to my favourite shade of green in this Sporting Lisbon shirt in the pic below. Even Celtic FC, or Celtics in the NBA even. More so the shade of green in the sleeves. Looks so clean with a shade of white, and even a green/black/white trio.

1655539273_3bcfb98eb9cb401a5a4a061874400975.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have already made my thoughts that the team should avoid using the State colours, to preserve its uniqueness for representative levels. Under 18 carnivals, state of origins etc. And also have said how I would like to see more green in the league, as it is the only primary color that does not have a team in the AFL at the moment.
Worth mentioning this, one thing that bugs me is how the SA state team has made a subtle shift to the Crows’ navy rather than royal. Hoping if Tassie went with that shade the state team wouldn’t follow. Hence why I’m on team lime green.
DB976D90-48C0-4B32-A0BE-408BFCB3367B.jpeg

100%. At some point I plan on doing a little portfolio of how I think every interstate club should’ve done their branding when they joined the league and those are two of the big ones. Honestly the only non-VIC club that had the best outcome from what they had was Adelaide. Every other club could’ve done something pretty different and GC in orange + GWS in blue is the most glaring one.
To be fair, the Bears/Lions did relatively well. Using Maroon (and cerise) along with gold was perfect colour-branding reflecting the state colours. It went downhill with execution a bit, but they did ok

To be fair, the Bears/Lions did relatively well. Using Maroon (and cerise) along with gold was perfect colour-branding reflecting the state colours. It went downhill with execution a bit, but they did ok
Definitely agree, only improvement for them would’ve been to go more maroon based with smaller amounts of yellow to really pop. They had it almost perfect with their set by the end despite moving away from maroon.

This is the first and only team in the competition named after a state. It would be crazy to NOT use the state colours IMO. Never mind the feelings of attachment from Tasmanians, but the three colours themselves are unique to the sport and look superb together.

This is the first and only team in the competition named after a state. It would be crazy to NOT use the state colours IMO. Never mind the feelings of attachment from Tasmanians, but the three colours themselves are unique to the sport and look superb together.
Using state colours is one thing, using the state represetative team's design is another. No reason why they shouldn't use the colours like the Crows do for SA.

I don't agree with using the state colours exactly. State football is different. What the Crows have done is bad enough really. The club needs to form it's own identity.

That said, green is an obvious choice and there for the taking. I'd do something simple like mid green and black or green and white, which gives them good scope for a fairly traditional footy look that they can base their branding around.

Don't make the mistakes of Port and Freo (now corrected) and go for a garish combination of colours and flashy designs. Green and black hoops or something basic like that is perfect.

I don't agree with using the state colours exactly. State football is different. What the Crows have done is bad enough really. The club needs to form it's own identity.
Right though that was wrong because it was pretty clear that SA was eventually going to get another team if expansion with the Crows went right, even if they were the sole team representing the state/SANFL at the time.

Tassie is and will always be the only team on the island, the only team named after a whole state for a reason. I don't think there's the same misstep here as with the Crows using SA's SoO colours in that case.

But hey, at least we can all agree and be pretty certain that the new team has to have green in it haha

Right though that was wrong because it was pretty clear that SA was eventually going to get another team if expansion with the Crows went right, even if they were the sole team representing the state/SANFL at the time.

Tassie is and will always be the only team on the island, the only team named after a whole state for a reason. I don't think there's the same misstep here as with the Crows using SA's SoO colours in that case.

But hey, at least we can all agree and be pretty certain that the new team has to have green in it haha

Agree that they won't have the same issue with a second team and that does mitigate it a bit. But I do worry about them effectively entering as a state team because they'll ultimately be made up of mostly non-Tasmanian players, and you'll have Tasmanian players scattered throughout the league.

I think while representative football is probably dead at the SoO level, State guernseys should be saved for people selected to play for that state. As a note, I also think that each state should pick a state rep side at the end of each season to keep these guernseys relevant, even if it doesn't play.

I think while representative football is probably dead at the SoO level, State guernseys should be saved for people selected to play for that state. As a note, I also think that each state should pick a state rep side at the end of each season to keep these guernseys relevant, even if it doesn't play.
Yeah 100% agree, and the absence of which is probably why I actually support Tassie repping the SoO branding simply because there isn't any other exposure for it as of now.

Finally got around to finishing my Tasmania concept. Same as before, based off the state representative guernsey from ~1910 (attached below). Was tossing up between using either the map of Tasmania or the Tassie Devils logo as the crest but eventually decided on the map. In the same way that Brisbane went back to the original Fitzroy Lion, it just feels more Tasmanian to me and I think it will age a lot better.

I plan to make a red/green colour scheme variant of these kits as I think there is a fair point to be made about it looking similar to Adelaide, and personally I think red/green is criminally underused in sport leagues around the world. But that'll come later on.

Ceg4y0Q.png
7PV1bXW.png
NSvqvOK.png

Attachments

• team design concept.jpg
    team design concept.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Back