Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Inspired by Minnesota Wild of NHL, was thinking of Wild, with an 's' in the middle so 'Wisld', and the 's' being silent like in island.
People already make fun of Tasmania without them going and doing that

..... let me get this straight.... you want them to be called Tasmania Wisld.... with a silent s in the middle?
Already exist!
logo.png

Don't mind Wild, but not the silent S. I do like the Islanders, either way I think they could incorporate a Devil even if they aren't the Devils.....Wild for instance could have a logo of a Devil with evil eyes lurking on the wilderness or something.....heck call them Wilderness

Yeah the Wisld does look stupid.

What about Forest? Or any greenish name unused in the AFL?

And just because there's no reference to the Tasmanian Devil in the name doesn't mean it will not be a symbol or a mascot of the team.

You could be oblique and call the team the Carnivores/Predators/Rovers and still use either a Devil or a Thylacine as a visual representation in the logo. Could go down the path of industry like Foresters/Mariners/Miners/Railways. Historical is another option like Pioneers. Sky is the limit. I just think Devils is very on the nose

I feel like as a traditional AFL state, Tasmania needs to be given a traditional AFL name. The Giants and the Suns were an exercise in throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks in the name of 'growth', with varying degrees of success. But because they were trying to capture a new market you could kind of see what they were trying to do. But Tasmania needs to not feel dated immediately, in my mind they can only be the Devils. None of this Wild shit, the Islanders is on the same level as the Mumbai Indians (lame), it needs an iconic, instantly associated mascot to Tasmania. The Power and the Dockers are very 90s names, Suns and Giants very 2010s, but Devils is timeless because it already exists in the public lexicon, it's an absolute no brainer.

Also think about the tierlists, how the **** how do decide who wins in a fight between Power and the Wild? Madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like as a traditional AFL state, Tasmania needs to be given a traditional AFL name. The Giants and the Suns were an exercise in throwing s**t at the wall and seeing what sticks in the name of 'growth', with varying degrees of success. But because they were trying to capture a new market you could kind of see what they were trying to do. But Tasmania needs to not feel dated immediately, in my mind they can only be the Devils. None of this Wild s**t, the Islanders is on the same level as the Mumbai Indians (lame), it needs an iconic, instantly associated mascot to Tasmania. The Power and the Dockers are very 90s names, Suns and Giants very 2010s, but Devils is timeless because it already exists in the public lexicon, it's an absolute no brainer.

Also think about the tierlists, how the * how do decide who wins in a fight between Power and the Wild? Madness.

Traditional state but still a new team in the AFL.

As much as some people don't like American sport, there are good traditional brand names that could be adapted and converted into an Australian style. Like Pioneers as mentioned above.

And my problem with Devils is it's too similar to Demons, and just bland.

I feel like as a traditional AFL state, Tasmania needs to be given a traditional AFL name. The Giants and the Suns were an exercise in throwing s**t at the wall and seeing what sticks in the name of 'growth', with varying degrees of success. But because they were trying to capture a new market you could kind of see what they were trying to do. But Tasmania needs to not feel dated immediately, in my mind they can only be the Devils. None of this Wild s**t, the Islanders is on the same level as the Mumbai Indians (lame), it needs an iconic, instantly associated mascot to Tasmania. The Power and the Dockers are very 90s names, Suns and Giants very 2010s, but Devils is timeless because it already exists in the public lexicon, it's an absolute no brainer.

Also think about the tierlists, how the * how do decide who wins in a fight between Power and the Wild? Madness.
who shat in your coffee this morning

And my problem with Devils is it's too similar to Demons, and just bland.
Ordinarily yes, but I feel like when it’s coupled with Tasmania it doesn’t associate with the same imagery as a Demon. Any other location and you’d probably have that issue (New Jersey Devils for example) but the Tasmanian Devil is a globally known animal.
As for it being bland, that’s only really going to be an issue if the club makes it one. Just looking at Port, Gold Coast and GWS as an example, all 3 clubs went with nicknames that could have fallen flat but there’s differences to how it panned out.
Port had the advantage of being an established club so we entered with a massive amount of history that we can still fall back on even though we don’t emphasise the Power name these days.
Gold Coast probably did fall flat from where it could’ve gone with a boring jumper, kind of garish shades of their colours and not really leaning into much sun imagery given it’s far more abstract than a name like Sharks or Stingrays.
And then the Giants picked a unique colour that looks good and a simple yet strong emblem in the G that is recognisable as a symbol. And even though they didn’t go for an animal name, it’s much easier to brand yourself around “we’re the Giants and we’re big” (and same for Port with Power) than it is to brand around “we’re the Suns and we’re… bright?”
Tassie will almost certainly wear some shade of green which is a good start as it’s unique and even if they don’t lean into the name Devils should they pick it, they’ll still get to have a Crows/Eagles style de facto state team position in the league and unite the state, and to me I don’t think there’s a better nickname to use for that than the most recognisable local animal.

I am a big fan of the some of the NHL team names, like the Predators, Devils, Wild, Islanders, Penguins, even something like the Kraken or Canucks (not specifically but somekind of marine animal like that). Most of these names would work with a two-tone green and white combination and would be specifically unique for Tasmania.

I personally believe they need to embrace green in whatever they choose, whilst I don't think they should be called The Greens as their main name, it should 100% be a second option. They just need to embrace that core green base, mix in an name that represents pride and fight and they should be set for a strong identity.

I am a big fan of the some of the NHL team names, like the Predators, Devils, Wild, Islanders, Penguins, even something like the Kraken or Canucks (not specifically but somekind of marine animal like that). Most of these names would work with a two-tone green and white combination and would be specifically unique for Tasmania.

I personally believe they need to embrace green in whatever they choose, whilst I don't think they should be called The Greens as their main name, it should 100% be a second option. They just need to embrace that core green base, mix in a name that represents pride and fight and they should be set for a strong identity.
The Bunyips?

what about the tasmanian greens :drunk: ..... if only to pi$$ off murdoch hyenas like panahi and bolt (and the Qookers that lap up their every word)

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Back