Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reported in the Mercury

It is believed AFL Tasmania needs at least an extra $700,000 to restart a statewide competition and to bolster the Devils' budget.

"We are not looking for an outlandish handout or anything like that. What we have done is put together some pretty robust business plans on a couple of options we think would be in the best interests of Tassie footy, and we are going to discuss with Andrew how they can possibly be funded."

Baker would not be drawn on whether this included extra funding for a new statewide league.

"It certainly includes funding for any form of footy at grassroots level," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22181989-13222,00.html

Methinks that "grassroots" football means different things to us than it does to AFL Tas.
Reported in the Mercury earlier in the week.....

It appears the first casualties of the dismal season could be the Devils' fitness staff, with AFL Tasmania already looking at new personnel. (discussions are evidently being held with the Richmond Fitness coach.)

"Obviously it is an area that we need to look at in terms of we need someone who has got the knowledge and who's very much qualified in getting players fit so they can play at a higher level," Cresswell said.

"We are in discussions at the moment with some people who might be looking after our fitness department, so we see that as very important.
"We need to recruit five or six players, quality VFL players, and I'm talking of the likes of Timmy Hazell, if Barry Brooks was available or Sam Lonergan was available, or Todd Grima, Nathan Grima, Ian Callinan," he said.

"I've had a discussion with former Geelong forward Matt McCarthy last week and he is assessing the situation."

How much change would be left out of the $700,000 that they are asking for, peanuts as usual for "grassroots" football:thumbsdown:

Reported in the Mercury

It is believed AFL Tasmania needs at least an extra $700,000 to restart a statewide competition and to bolster the Devils' budget.

"We are not looking for an outlandish handout or anything like that. What we have done is put together some pretty robust business plans on a couple of options we think would be in the best interests of Tassie footy, and we are going to discuss with Andrew how they can possibly be funded."

Baker would not be drawn on whether this included extra funding for a new statewide league.

"It certainly includes funding for any form of footy at grassroots level," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22181989-13222,00.html

Methinks that "grassroots" football means different things to us than it does to AFL Tas.
Reported in the Mercury earlier in the week.....

It appears the first casualties of the dismal season could be the Devils' fitness staff, with AFL Tasmania already looking at new personnel. (discussions are evidently being held with the Richmond Fitness coach.)

"Obviously it is an area that we need to look at in terms of we need someone who has got the knowledge and who's very much qualified in getting players fit so they can play at a higher level," Cresswell said.

"We are in discussions at the moment with some people who might be looking after our fitness department, so we see that as very important.
"We need to recruit five or six players, quality VFL players, and I'm talking of the likes of Timmy Hazell, if Barry Brooks was available or Sam Lonergan was available, or Todd Grima, Nathan Grima, Ian Callinan," he said.

"I've had a discussion with former Geelong forward Matt McCarthy last week and he is assessing the situation."

How much change would be left out of the $700,000 that they are asking for, peanuts as usual for "grassroots" football:thumbsdown:

Could well be my talking point for next week's Wednesday's blog.
And btw, I'm heading out to Roo Country tommorrow, look forward to seeing you there ;)

A statewide competion would have the same problems.. money travel and lack of supporters that are willing to travel.

Correct, the Statewide league Mark I (EST 1986) was established on the back of strong crowds and strong interest in local football.
Kingpin (aka Brains;)) can verify this one, they even got an average of 3K+ to local games. Gee, If clubs can get about a 3rd of that to local games today on a CONSISTENT basis, they'd be laughing in dough.

Although the premier league has a gap between the top teams and the bottom teams, it is gradually becoming more even e.g Glenorchy beating Brighton by 1 point and N Hobart beating Kingbourgh by 19 points. It was always going to take a few years before it evened up.

Please refer to the latest result with Glenorchy and Brighton (I think it's round 13) for a real analysis of where the teams are at.
Yeah, Brighton surprised them on that day, but really...if you had that match tommorrow for instance at Pontville, Glenorchy would smack them.
And yes, credit to Kingborough for shaking the Demons, but the Demons have 1 really big scare per year. (Take last year v Brighton where they won by 3 goals I think for memory)
And I can go back further, Round 1 05 v Hobart at the TCA - won by only 7 points. And this year, lost to the Lions by a goal. (I must admit that NH's record at the TCA is a bit stale :()

Who would be the southern teams involved and what would happen to the others????

I bet the sides like Hobart, Kingbourgh, Lauderdale New Norfolk and Brighton wouldnt be real impressed, dont forget that the SFL had no choice in bringing the old statewide teams into there competion when it fell over. If they go into another statewide competion and it falls over again they might not take them back.... and they shouldnt either.

I'd think that if you did, the teams would be Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart and New Norfolk, maybe one other (a composite team from the South of Hobart - E.G. Southern Cats)

From the North - Devonport, Burnie, North L'ton, Ulverstone, South L'ton (?), Launceston (?)
(Not sure about South L'ton and Launceston btw)

Personally I don't think that the SFL will be too effected, you'll still have 14 teams in the competition, would be interesting if they keep the divisional structure or amalgamate the two divisions back into one?

NTFL would be savaged teams wise, even if you have the Devonport's, Burnie's, North L'ton's and Ulverstone's, you'll only have a seven team comp in place. IMO, 8 teams is a perfect amount to run a competition.

Although the premier league has a gap between the top teams and the bottom teams, it is gradually becoming more even e.g Glenorchy beating Brighton by 1 point and N Hobart beating Kingbourgh by 19 points. It was always going to take a few years before it evened up.

OK, stats from the 2007 Premier League, and margins so far
Margin of 1-30: 19 out of 60 (32%)
Margin of 31-60: 17/60 (27%)
Margin of 61-100: 13/60 (22%)
Margin of 100+: 17/60 (27%)

Average Margin for each team this year, taken on points difference/games played
Glenorchy - 45 point WIN
North Hobart - 35 point WIN
New Norfolk and Clarence - 38 point WIN
Hobart - 1 point LOSS
Lauderdale - 26 point LOSS
Brighton - 57 point LOSS
Kingborough - 71 point LOSS

Correct, the Statewide league Mark I (EST 1986) was established on the back of strong crowds and strong interest in local football.
Kingpin (aka Brains;)) can verify this one, they even got an average of 3K+ to local games. Gee, If clubs can get about a 3rd of that to local games today on a CONSISTENT basis, they'd be laughing in dough.
Yeah when the initial statewide league was started (they'd been talking about having a statewide comp as far back as 1975 mind you), from what I remember it was felt that it was needed to reinvigorate the TANFL and to improve the standard of footy, which at the time was going through a period of stagnating attendances - even though nowdays we'd look back at those figures and go 'Woooahhh imagine if we had those crowds now!'.
The NTFL (old NTFA) crowds haven't really changed that much, although their finals crowds are smaller.
The NWFU was very strong, I think there were almost 9,000 at their grand final the year before statewide started.
In the year before the Statewide started, Tassie copped an absolute bollocking at the hands of Queensland up at the old Windsor Park ground in Brisbane - that match was publicised for months in the lead up, and the result was hugely disappointing and was probably the wake-up call to say that football here needed to improve a bit.
In the final year of the TANFL in 1985, bottom side Hobart never attracted more than 2000 to any game that season - the highest was 1,873 away to North Hobart in Round 1.
Never attracted more than 1,400 to any match after Round 3, had twelve games out of twenty attract below 1,150-people, with six matches failing to attract 1,000 - the lowest being 818 at a home game against the Demons at North Hobart in Round 6.
Similarly, Sandy Bay were in much the same boat, and apart from the bigger clubs being drawn to play each other, TANFL crowds weren't good.
1986 crowds were very poor in the north, northern fans weren't sold on the idea at all, and continued to follow their clubs in the NTFA.
They were still a bit stagnant in Hobart at different matches, many fans were resistant to the changes, the media were trying to kill off clubs which wasn't looked upon very highly by the rank & file football fan.
The TFL tried to be like Victoria and force ground rationalisation - they forced New Norfolk to play home games at KGV!
It only happened once, an Eagles home game at KGV drew 470 as supporters organised a boycott of the game, by the following week they were back playing at Boyer! :p
It was in 1987 that things started to pick up, with clubs playing at their proper grounds, the media were staying away from the merger/axing clubs and ground rationalisation talk that rankled many, and with coastal clubs entering the comp, it finally started to stabilise and grow.
Certainly from the period of 1987-1990 there were many, many games that attracted crowds of between 2,500 and the longtime record of 5,423 (at West Park) for roster matches.
I can remember 5,075 (Clarence v North Hobart at Bellerive), 4,697 (Clarence v New Norfolk at Bellerive) being another couple of big drawing games in that era.
In this day and age however, I cannot see where the crowds are going to come from, given the lack of interest that's out there.
Maybe if a seven or eight year demotion of the standing of these clubs hadn't taken place, it might've been a chance in someways.
Speaking with many old Hobart supporters, the general consensus of opinion is that Hobart won't be asked to join a new statewide league given that the old TFL had tried to axe Hobart many times (as far back as 1971), and that the club is so 'infested with amatures and other assorted miscreants' now that they wouldn't be interested in making the step up if they were invited anyhow.
They seem to be so keen on trumpeting the benefits of being the Lions (what are these benefits we all scratch our heads and ask?) that it's taken over their logical thinking.
Sure as hell, they won't last five minutes in a state league as the Lions if they have to find more funds, and even if they were to get off their arse and get the Tigers identity back (which they've been told they can) they wouldn't do it to be stubborn - they'd be lucky to survive even if they were running around in Black & Gold next year because of the lack of people around the place now (it is seriously lacking), and with Paul Lennon's right-hand man (Philip Baker) running the club, they just cannot get former people back there because he's, to put it bluntly, an arrogant cunt.
But we'll watch.......and wait.....

The Advocate can reveal its preferred model involves 10 teams drawn from the State's main population catchments.
Licences would not necessarily be given to existing clubs.
It would involve a maximum of three teams from the North-West - eastern end, central and western end; three from the North - East Tamar, West Tamar and southern city; and mostly likely four from the South taking in the west, east, central and north-west.
A fifth team could also come from the Sorell-Lauderdale catchment, depending on where other teams were drawn from.
These sides would only have senior teams and be underpinned by three strong regional competitions, effectively consisting of the clubs which made up the former NWFU, NTFA and TFL competitions.
While this would mean the end of the NTFL, a return to the NWFU is likely to win support from many football fans in the North-West.
Players from these clubs who tried out for the senior competition would return to their home team when not required at the higher level, the same as West Coast and Fremantle players return to WAFL clubs when not required.(not the same at all)

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I make out this would be the end of a lot of clubs as we know them. The Statewide teams would only be senior teams similar to the Devils at the moment, drawing players from their assigned clubs. Where would the players train, with the Statewide team they are assigned to or with their designated club? Where does this leave the "feeder" clubs. What would be the point of bringing on players to their peak and trying to win games when players who are performing well could be "promoted" to the statewide teams at will without regard to the position of their original club. How many people will continue to support their clubs when they are only a shell of their former selves?
I think this will move local footy even lower on AFL Tas's evolutionary chain, reminds me of a movie "The Time Machine" with local footballers being the people and AFL Tas the "Morlocks"

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I make out this would be the end of a lot of clubs as we know them. The Statewide teams would only be senior teams similar to the Devils at the moment, drawing players from their assigned clubs. Where would the players train, with the Statewide team they are assigned to or with their designated club? Where does this leave the "feeder" clubs. What would be the point of bringing on players to their peak and trying to win games when players who are performing well could be "promoted" to the statewide teams at will without regard to the position of their original club. How many people will continue to support their clubs when they are only a shell of their former selves?
I think this will move local footy even lower on AFL Tas's evolutionary chain, reminds me of a movie "The Time Machine" with local footballers being the people and AFL Tas the "Morlocks"
Training venues would be an issue, but its a necessity if a state league is to come about. Quite possibly, players would train with their state league club until Wednesday and their other club on Thursday if not picked for the state club (maybe with a few joint training sessions, if it was more like the VFL alignments than the WAFL/SANFL distributions). Sadly such a small cost as bus travel is huge in terms of footy club finances in Tassie and taking reserves everywhere is a waste of resources.
There are other benefits:
- with less players to pay, the state league clubs can hopefully attract a greater proportion of the best players by having more money available per player (same dollars, less players, greater average player payment); with the strength of the NTFL player retention was a problem, especially at Devonport with the Devonport-Ulverstone merry go round
- it frees up what would otherwise be the reserves to play at lower levels, and that should flow through to having players available for clubs that are struggling for numbers
- if clubs also have under-age teams (an elite aged competition is as required as an elite senior one) it means no more 5am starts going to/from Burnie; which was a big problem on the north-west a sit was roughly every third week

10 teams is too many though, I think 8 is ideal. But would more than 5 be interested?
Glenorchy, Clarence, North Launceston would jump at the chance I suspect. Burnie also would be likely. Devonport, probably. Who else from the south? If not Hobart, then North Hobart and Kingston? Or New Norfolk? Launceston or South? Either one would have to abandon their current home grounds. Youngtown Oval and Windsor Park are not state league grounds. And neither club are likely to regard their TFL time as being successful, on or off field. In terms of spectator facilities. The NTCA ground is the next best (after York Park) in Launceston; in the past South especially refused all overtures to move to York Park (even though one of its constituent clubs - East Launceston - used to play there in the NTFA and opening months of the TFL, pre-merger).
Ulverstone? 3 north-west clubs and 1 Launceston club seems somewhat imbalanced. Scottsdale? Dropped out of the NTFL because the travel was too much, and too small a town anyway.

And while AFL Tasmania continue to keep the Devils as their prime focus, can a state league survive at all? With the Devils getting all the ABC TV attention, most of the commercial media attention (especially in the Mercury), is it possible?
Personally, I say kill the Devils off, and get a senior and under-18 state league happening - if the clubs can be found. Otherwise, split the Devils into a northern and a southern team (with no AFL links) and keep the NTFL and SFL as the main comps. Try to have the best possible level of footy being played between Tsmanians, rather than the State v Suburb of the VFL or SANFL.
Oh, and I think that same article said the NTFL would be split back into NWFU and NTFA. In my view that would be mistake, one major northern and one major southern competition makes much more sense.

Quarter time in the Premier League:
Clarence lead Hobart Lions at Bellerive by 21-points, the Magpies have made a good start at Boyer leading by 20-points with the Eagles yet to register a goal in another of their slow starts.
North hold a three goal lead out at Pontville and Lauderdale lead down at The Pit by 15 against Kingborough.

In the Regional League:
Cygnet three goals up on Huonville, Barge's boys (Claremont) 48-points in front of visiting Triabunna.
Dodges lead by 10-points up at Oatlands agaist the Hawks, Kermandie 16-points in front of Channel in an entertaining opening quarter, Lindisfarne easily over Sorell.

In the NTFL:
South only leading East Devonport by 3-goals, Launceston 5-goals up on Wynyard at home.
Latrobe giving Penguin a touch-up, North Launceston just ahead of Smithton, Devonport a couple of goals up on the Dockers.

In the Premier League:
North Hobart leading easily at Pontville over Brighton, Lauderdale kicking away from Kingborough to lead by 35-points, Clarence out by 29-points over the Lions and Glenorchy lead New Norfolk at Boyer by 36-points at the long break.

In the Regional League:
Central Hawks produced a big second quarter to race away to a 36-point lead over Dodges at Oatlands.
The Port holding sway by a kick in a low scoring game against Huonville, whilst Claremont are 65-points ahead of Triabunna, Kermandie 53-points to the good of Channel and Lindisfarne similarly ahead of Sorell at Pembroke Park.

In the NTFL:
South go into half-time with just a 21-point lead against winless East Devonport.
North Launceston out to a 25-point lead at Smithton while the rest of the matches are all over bar the shouting.
Devonport have responded to last week's defeat by showing Burnie Dockers how it's done - up by 64-points at half-time.
Launceston flogging Wynyard and holding sway by 72-points, Latrobe 79-points ahead of Penguin.

Premier League:
Glenorchy 57-points ahead of a disappointing New Norfolk at Boyer, Clarence still five goals in front of the Lions, North 47-points ahead of Brighton at Pontville and Lauderdale 37-points in front at Kingston - rain's been falling for a quite awhile now.

Regional League:
Cygnet 19-points in front Huonville in a low scoring game, Central Hawks still 33-points ahead of Dodges Ferry, the rest are all one way traffic.
Claremont by 105 over Triabunna, Kermandie by 72-points over Channel and the Two Blues 56-points up on Sorell with 30 shots to 9

No NTFL updates for three quarter time.

SFL Premier League - Round 16
{Full Time} Clarence 21.15 (141) - Hobart Lions 10.13 (73)
{Full Time} Glenorchy 17.22 (124) - New Norfolk 6.13 (49)
{Full Time} North Hobart 21.12 (138) - Brighton 6.11 (47)
{Full Time} Lauderdale 14.10 (94) - Kingborough 10.11 (71)

SFL Regional League - Round 17
{Full Time} Cygnet 7.10 (52) - Huonville Lions 4.8 (32)
{Full Time} Claremont 31.20 (206) - Triabunna 8.11 (59)
{Full Time} Central Hawks 23.15 (153) - Dodges Ferry 11.7 (73)
{Full Time} Kermandie 18.14 (122) - Channel 7.9 (51)
{Full Time} Lindisfarne 15.17 (107) - Sorell 10.4 (64)

NTFL - Round 19
{Full Time} Sth Launceston 17.13 (115) - East Devonport 9.8 (62)
{Full Time} Launceston 24.27 (171) - Wynyard 6.3 (39)
{Full Time} Latrobe 25.19 (169) - Penguin 6.15 (51)
{Full Time} Nth Launceston 12.17 (89) - Smithton 6.10 (46)
{Full Time} Devonport 27.14 (176) - Burnie Dockers 4.9 (33)

NTFA Division 1 - Round 16
{Full Time} Deloraine 25.11 (161) - Hillwood 5.6 (36)
{Full Time} Longford 23.18 (156) - Rocherlea 8.4 (52)
{Full Time} Bridgenorth 16.9 (105) - Scottsdale 14.3 (87)
{Full Time} George Town 12.11 (83) - Bracknell 3.14 (32)

NTFA Division 2 - Round 17
{Full Time} Old Scotch 21.19 (145) - Evandale 5.6 (36)
{Full Time} University-Mowbray 19.13 (127) - Tamar Cats 15.14 (104)
{Full Time} Fingal Valley 25.12 (162) - Perth 8.7 (55)
{Tonight: 18:00} St Patrick's - Old Launcestonians

when does an umpire with a distant connection (still a connection) to one team officiate in a game with that team.

Please tell me for whom I've generally in the past considered a reasonably intelligent man, you're not serious with this?

You're not suggesting Field Umpire and former Claremont CRICKET player Jason Harris was in any way responsible for Claremont's Round 10 win over Lindisfarne?

Sh*t, better not let Jarrod or Trevor Johnson umpire Claremont games any more as their Brothers/Sons played for Claremont over ten years ago!

Best not let Cary Millhouse's boy umpire there as well!

Perhaps if you want to find some reasons for your above mentioned loss you'd be best looking at some of the guys you picked up this year in your "wise recruiting"?!

You, as a coach would know, continuing to mouth of to umpires achieves nothing except a 50 metre advantage to the other side!

The poorer Cousin of a Glenorchy gun being your main offender on this occassion!

Barge,
Lindisfarne were crap for around 8 years and finally decided to get their act together by recruiting wisely over the last 3 years and results have started to improve.
They haven't gone out and bought superstar players but have spread the cash out across the board.
I pose this question to you: How much is Ben Atkin on?

I'll be honest with you I have no idea what "Bucket" is on but as I have said on here previously I've been assured it's "not as much as you think" however much that may be.

In mentioning your beloved Blues I was referring to the recruitment in recent years of the following: Yourself, Tubb, Hilder, Kamaric, Ling, Bracken, Proud, Quirk, Rattenbury, Myers - not many of them from the local area and know for a fact most, if not all, are on a "fair quid"!

I'd be willing to bet Ben Atkin included, the Two Blues are shelling out more than the club which represents the suburb you were educated in!

How's Courtney these days?! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In mentioning your beloved Blues I was referring to the recruitment in recent years of the following: Yourself, Tubb, Hilder, Kamaric, Ling, Bracken, Proud, Quirk, Rattenbury, Myers - not many of them from the local area and know for a fact most, if not all, are on a "fair quid"!

Well I know Quirky only left the Ships for a quid, and even Gracie18 and his retired brother were offered cash as recent as last season!! Not wise spending :D (sorry Gracie18)

Just saw that Aurora ad where they ask a quiz question for AFL Football in Tasmania and give one good clue and two stupid ones to make it easy.

The question was:
When was AFL football first played in Tasmania?
Was it A) 1989, B) 2001 or C) 2006?

It's actually none of them :p

Technically, as the VFL changed its name to the AFL, it should be 1952!
But if they want to be a little looser with it and claim it as first played under the name change to AFL umbrella, it would be 1991 (when Fitzroy played matches at North Hobart).
Nice to see the media and the corporates continue to show no knowledge of football played in the state, and even less so played outside of Aurora Stadium.. :eek:

Carrying on where KP left off

Unable to find scores for the St Pats v Ol's as yet

ODFA
Swansea 22.14.140
Ross 5.01.31

Woodsdale 22.19.151
CAMPANIA 3.5.23

NWFA
Roseberry-Toorak 7.2.44
Wesley Vale 5.9.39

Forth 12.17.89
Sheffield 13.4.82

Spreyton 31.25.211
East Ulverstone 3.1.19

Motton Preston 20.16.136
Turners Beach 7.17.59

Darwin
Yolla 10.11.71
Queenstown 4.12.36

Ridgley 14.21.105
Somerset 11.8.74

South Burnie 19.22.136
Cuprona 10.8.68

Natone 14.17.101
Yeoman 4.4.28

NEFU
Winnaleah 18.10.118
Branxholm 2.11.23

Bridport 16.12.108
Ringarooma 12.7.79

Lilydale 17.20.122
St Helens 9.7.61

You're not suggesting Field Umpire and former Claremont CRICKET player Jason Harris was in any way responsible for Claremont's Round 10 win over Lindisfarne?

Sh*t, better not let Jarrod or Trevor Johnson umpire Claremont games any more as their Brothers/Sons played for Claremont over ten years ago!

Best not let Cary Millhouse's boy umpire there as well!

Barge, You have read a lot into that. In that post their was no mention of a game, but you are the one that has associated it with a Claremont -v- Lindisfarne game!
Connections could be found between most umpires and teams and this is even going to be more so with the current state of umpiring at the moment. With more umpires available, these sorts of situations are less likely to occur.
My point in that post was if AFL Tasmania was to receive money from the AFL they should spend the money on improving umpiring in the state by making it more lucrative for people to take it up and by employing an umpiring coach to teach and mentor young umpires to become better umpires.
I'm sure it will be spent on the Devils.
No Umpires = No Local Footy Games = No Local Talent = No players for the Devils = No Devils

Perhaps if you want to find some reasons for your above mentioned loss you'd be best looking at some of the guys you picked up this year in your "wise recruiting"?!

You, as a coach would know, continuing to mouth of to umpires achieves nothing except a 50 metre advantage to the other side!
That game in question was not lost by Lindisfarne, and it was not lost due to the umpires, it was won by a team that played with more desire.

Here is my reply to your questions/statments:

I'll be honest with you I have no idea what "Bucket" is on but as I have said on here previously I've been assured it's "not as much as you think" however much that may be.
All Kudos to "bucket" and the coaching staff at Claremont, they have done a fantastic job, getting that side to were it is now. To me "bucket" is worth what ever he is getting.

Has this recriting not improved the Lindisfarne football club into a more competetive unit?
I can also assure you these blokes are not on as much as you think!

I'd be willing to bet Ben Atkin included, the Two Blues are shelling out more than the club which represents the suburb you were educated in!
Well lets go back to the area Zone, I should be up at the "mont" myself.

How's Courtney these days?! :D
She's good, been in the Poilice Force for about a year now. Will have to tell her to patrol around Abbotsfield Park a bit more!

PS: I have joined up because I enjoy talking about footy and believe that the competition needs more exposure. What you blokes are doing with this forum is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back