Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Duffy trying to get some money out of the Footy Show just now lol . . . and how about Matty Smith's little punch that obv the men in orange missed.
The umpires see them but are to scared to take any action, this is occurs each week, in many games with no penalty applied. They do not want to waste thier time at the tribunal.

July 27th 2007: Cressa's AFL Hopes Hit

By Brett Stubbs - Link

Devils coach Daryn Cresswell admits this year's disastrous season has severely dented his AFL coaching ambitions, but he still hopes to make it to the top one day.

After stints as an assistant coach at Geelong and Brisbane, Cresswell was in the mix for St Kilda's top job last season.

But he now admits he was not ready to be an AFL coach after seeing the Devils slip to last position on the VFL ladder with just two wins.

"There is no question you harbour ambitions to go to the highest level you possibly can in whatever you do," Cresswell said yesterday.

"However, this year obviously hasn't been a great year in terms of what we have done on the field. It has been a pretty difficult year.

"There have been a lot of factors to why we haven't been successful, but the playing group and myself are sticking together and we are gong to work through this.

"I wouldn't want to desert these guys right now with all the hard work we have put in and the new players we have brought in, and we want to build on that.

"Hopefully in two or three years' time we can be successful and that AFL opportunity will come again."

He said he had no regrets about taking the Devils job.

"A couple of people have said to me that I have got the hardest job in Australia because of the four regions including the Melbourne stuff," Cresswell said ahead of Sunday's game against North Ballarat at Aurora Stadium.

"Bringing the boys together to train can be quite difficult, but I think that will hold me in good stead in the future, being able to have to cope with adversity we face where everyone is spread out.

"I am not regretful of taking this position. It is just another challenge you have to overcome. I think down the track in two or three years' time I will be a better coach for it.

"Then I will be better prepared than probably what I would have been if I got a job last year."

Cresswell uses his former AFL coaches Rodney Eade and Paul Roos as mentors and speaks to them regularly.

"I have got a very healthy relationship with former Devils coach Matty Armstrong, too, who knows Tasmanian footy better than anyone," he said.

"I am always picking his brain and asking him questions. We don't always agree, but it is good to have him in your backyard."

Thought this article was brilliant - made me chuckle into my cereal yesterday.

There is no way Cresswell will get anyway near a top coaching job this year, and after his job (on and off the field) with the Devils, I hope he never does.

Thought this article was brilliant - made me chuckle into my cereal yesterday.

There is no way Cresswell will get anyway near a top coaching job this year, and after his job (on and off the field) with the Devils, I hope he never does.
What stood out for me was that it only increased my thoughts that it was more about him trying being successful with the Devils to land a plum AFL role rather than about strengthening Tasmanian footy.
Which is what I've always seen the Devils and AFL Tasmania as - a gravy train for overpaid and over-hyped bigheads trying to get in on the AFL teat rather than look after the game as a whole here.
I'm fucking glad I walked away.....

SFL Premier League - Round 15
Glenorchy 13.14 (92) - Clarence 8.8 (56)
Lauderdale 9.15 (69) - Brighton 5.9 (39)
North Hobart 18.6 (114) - Kingborough 15.5 (95)
New Norfolk 13.11 (89) - Hobart Lions 13.8 (86)

SFL Regional League - Round 16
Lindisfarne 24.11 (155) - Cygnet 18.9 (117)
Kermandie 11.7 (73) - Huonville Lions 7.22 (64)
Claremont 12.12 (84) - Dodges Ferry 12.9 (81)
Central Hawks 14.18 (102) - Channel 9.9 (63)
Sorell 21.23 (149) - Triabunna 7.11 (53)

NTFL - Round 18
Launceston 17.15 (117) - Latrobe 10.12 (72)
Smithton 12.11 (83) - Penguin 12.8 (80)
Burnie Dockers 24.18 (162) - Sth Launceston 11.8 (74)
Ulverstone 18.15 (123) - Devonport 12.9 (81)
Wynyard 25.23 (173) - East Devonport 14.15 (99)

NTFA Division 1 - Round 16
Bracknell 26.13 (169) - Rocherlea 8.10 (58)
Scottsdale 14.12 (96) - George Town 10.9 (69)

Old Scholars FA
Richmond 20.16 (136) - St Virgil's 15.10 (100)
DOSA 24.16 (160) - University 12.16 (88)
Hutchins 14.4 (88) - OHA 7.12 (54)

Oatlands District FA
Woodsdale 9.14 (68) - Swansea 7.13 (55)
Mt Pleasant 25.16 (166) - Campania 11.7 (73)

Anyone who knows anything about the lack of umpires for the Sorell Triabunna Reserves game, was there simply a case of an umpire not turning up, or not enough umpires available for the weekend?

If it is the latter, it is a signal for others to get on board

Tasmania 1.2 5.5 8.6 8.9 (57)
North Ballarat 0.6 5.9 15.14 24.22 (166)

GOALS:
Tasmania: Derbyshire 2 Moran 2 Hall Moles Bowden Goldstein
North Ballarat: Thomas 4 Spolding 3 Lower 3 Hughes 3 Campbell 2 Chester 2 Urch 2 Gregg 2 Riggio Stephenson Cartledge

BEST:
Tasmania: Moran Street Stephens Richter Long Bowden
North Ballarat: Lower Thomas Clifton Chester Goodes Riggio

Tasmania 1.2 5.5 8.6 8.9 (57)
North Ballarat 0.6 5.9 15.14 24.22 (166)

GOALS:
Tasmania: Derbyshire 2 Moran 2 Hall Moles Bowden Goldstein
North Ballarat: Thomas 4 Spolding 3 Lower 3 Hughes 3 Campbell 2 Chester 2 Urch 2 Gregg 2 Riggio Stephenson Cartledge

BEST:
Tasmania: Moran Street Stephens Richter Long Bowden
North Ballarat: Lower Thomas Clifton Chester Goodes Riggio

"The state of Tasmanian football really isn't that bad, those who say it is at its lowest ebb are just being negative doomsayers....."
:eek:

Anyone who knows anything about the lack of umpires for the Sorell Triabunna Reserves game, was there simply a case of an umpire not turning up, or not enough umpires available for the weekend?

If it is the latter, it is a signal for others to get on board

Apparantly, from what I heard today, (Yes i'm answering my own question) Triabunna were notified there was not sufficient umpires for the match but Sorell was not, making it a case of the latter.

New umpires needed desperately.

New umpires needed desperately.

The fat cats at AFL Tas should fill in when there is such shortages then and earn their pay.
Or were they too busy saving themselves for the smoked salmon vol-au-vents and champagne in the corporate boxes at Aurora Stadium today.

That's a very good question, Cad.

Were they only happy to umpires Hobart v Brighton Colts the other week to get their mugs in the paper - AGAIN - but not now when needed?

Or is the TCA a more appealing venue than Triabunna?

How was it decided Triabunna v Sorell Reserves would be the game to go without umpires?

Why couldn't the Colts umpires double up?

Sorell will be filthy if this game is classified as a draw! Fighting it out with Cygnet for top spot in the two's!

Things are pretty grim after what I saw yesterday - this one old twit umpiring Claremont v Dodges Reserves was terrible!

Would blow the whistle and just not signal what the decision was nor which way it was paid!

I will say though, young Jarrod Johnson has impressed me umpiring Claremont Seniors in the last two weeks.

Before I finish, Claremont's win yesterday was awesome. I was almost gonna head off during the third quarter because we were getting done and it was f'n cold down at Dodges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things are pretty grim after what I saw yesterday - this one old twit umpiring Claremont v Dodges Reserves was terrible!

Would blow the whistle and just not signal what the decision was nor which way it was paid!

Hallelulah! Someone sees the light at the end of the tunnel. :thumbsu:

This is what I have been preaching about all year about the standard of the orange monkeys ability to control a game that is beyond their mental capacity.:thumbsdown:

Someone should start waving a banana or a bag of peanuts in front of their faces to make their brains switch on into overdrive. :D

That's a very good question, Cad.

Were they only happy to umpires Hobart v Brighton Colts the other week to get their mugs in the paper - AGAIN - but not now when needed?

Or is the TCA a more appealing venue than Triabunna?
The Mercury wouldn't have travelled up to Triabunna, too far away unlike the TCA. No photo opportunity in that one ;)

Barge said:
How was it decided Triabunna v Sorell Reserves would be the game to go without umpires?

Why couldn't the Colts umpires double up?

Sorell will be filthy if this game is classified as a draw! Fighting it out with Cygnet for top spot in the two's!
Raises some interesting points as to how the percentage and points will be divvied up.
Back before the TFL sides all came into the league after the Statewide League collapsed, all clubs had to provided a central, boundary and goal umpire for the Colts matches.
I'm a little surprised that they didn't do that for the Colts, and put the Colts umpires rostered in to the Reserves - or were they viewed as too inexperienced for that position at this stage of their careers?
And was this the reason this decision was taken?

Barge said:
Sounds exactly like that little old bald bloke that umpired the senior match between Lauderdale & Hobart at The Dale in '99 under lights.
Absolutely without doubt I've never seen a more baffling display than I saw this night.
Hobart got absolutely crucified by the man in white this night, there were over 35 free kicks in difference, but Hobart still won by 10 points.
The old fella who was standing next to me (Georgie Burns) said it was by a long way the worst umpiring he'd seen in his 77 or 78 years of watching football.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't do that for the Colts, and put the Colts umpires rostered in to the Reserves - or were they viewed as too inexperienced for that position at this stage of their careers?
And was this the reason this decision was taken?

I understand what you are saying Kingpin but the 2 centrals that did the colts were also doing the seniors.

From what I hear, it sounds like the knives are out for Andrew Lamprill up at the Lions.
Seems to be copping the rough end of the stick, and getting all the shit for the Lions performances so far this year.
Sounds like the tail is still well and truly wagging the dog up there.
Dunno how he puts up with it or why he bothers personally...

Speaking of the Lions, at the recent Lions Ball, three inductees were awarded Life Membership of Hobart.
They were Tasmania footballing greats Mal Pascoe, Trevor Leo and ..... John Blake.
Interestingly enough, apparently Pascoe and Leo both declined to accept their Life Memberships and refused to attend the Lions Ball in protest.
John Blake - the President who was the man responsible for starting the rot at Hobart earlier this decade, and the one responsible for virtually losing any chance of regaining the Tiger identity for good who was sacked by the members in 2002 for his poor handling of the issue amongst other things - had initially turned his back on the club after they changed to the Lions and Baker had placed him last on that infamous How-To-Vote card - but suddenly had a massive change of heart after he was guaranteed a Life Membership if he embraced the new arrangement.
After he had his big change and poured scorn on the Old Players Association for not embracing the change, he was later told to 'go forth and multiply' by the Association - needless to say, many of the old 'Lifers' were ready to burn their medals when they heard he received one :D

The interesting times up ol' Bonehead College continue...

I understand what you are saying Kingpin but the 2 centrals that did the colts were also doing the seniors.

Ahhh I can see why now :thumbsu:
Geez the numbers are really stretched to the max :eek:
Reason I said before too about a possible lack of experience with the umpires too is, as you'd no doubt be aware, the difference between Colts and Reserves is a fair step up.
And could be very daunting for a young inexperienced umpire being thrown in amongst some of the more hardened old stagers getting about in the twos, who would more than likely exploit any lack of confidence in a young umpire. :)

OK Barge, in my opinion there are 3 possible options to this situation

1) Classify the match as a "Draw" - 2 points each, but no percentage allocation
2) Classify the match as a "Washout", and the SFL decides what to do in regards to points & percentage allocation
3) Attempt to reschedule the match to ensure that the match is completed.

Which option would you consider? Taking in Mind that Cygnet are top of the table with a percentage of 273 to Sorell's 246, and both are on 52 points.
Personally IMO, options 1 and 2 are lineball.

And if anyone can answer this question, when was the last time a match was abandoned?

Ahhh I can see why now :thumbsu:
Geez the numbers are really stretched to the max :eek:
Reason I said before too about a possible lack of experience with the umpires too is, as you'd no doubt be aware, the difference between Colts and Reserves is a fair step up.
And could be very daunting for a young inexperienced umpire being thrown in amongst some of the more hardened old stagers getting about in the twos, who would more than likely exploit any lack of confidence in a young umpire. :)

I'm 15, first year umpire and found reserves and colts much the same difficulty umpiring wise.

Reserves swear more and other stuff obviously, and give you a pretty rough time, but if you're a umpire you have a pretty thick skin and you deal with it.

And when on earth can they possibly reschedule it to?

One of the next two Sundays when they're all stuffed from the previous day?

During the week when not all of the players would be available ie, work, family reasons, etc.

I recall playing for Claremont in the dying days of Lachlan and they forfeited to us, we missed out on crucial percentage, but in fairness what can ya do?

Let's be honest, it should never have come to the situation where we're debating it on an internet forum on a Monday Night.

Actually, on your suggestion of rescheduling, why wasn't it played yesterday?

Surely there would have been at least 6 umpires (2 of each) available?

At the end of the day it's all irrelevant really - Cygnet v Sorell Reserves Grand Final is a near certainty - they can sort it out then!

During the week when not all of the players would be available ie, work, family reasons, etc.

I recall playing for Claremont in the dying days of Lachlan and they forfeited to us, we missed out on crucial percentage, but in fairness what can ya do?

Let's be honest, it should never have come to the situation where we're debating it on an internet forum on a Monday Night.

At the end of the day it's all irrelevant really - Cygnet v Sorell Reserves Grand Final is a near certainty - they can sort it out then!

What about your Claremont boys? They have been in great form in the 2's... And the Central Hawks must be a chance to make a push in the finals. Alrthough, considering Sorell and Cygnet are looking unlikely to make the finals in the 1's, their 2's sides will be very strong come finals time. I am looking forward to standing in the wet area on the Sept 8 watching a cracker of a gf...

Exactly - Sorell and Cygnet are looking strong, and that's worth heading down the highway for.

They could have rescheduled, but would you want to drive upto Triabunna twice in the weekend after you didn't play at all the previous day? Anyway, like you said Sorell/Cygnet GF awaits in the twos.

being a former tassie boy, now applying my trade way out west of australia i still like to check out how my former clubs are going.

but i have noticed that because the tassie crabs(oops i mean devils):) are going about as good as fitzroy in 1996, that the southern football website has no up to date results or ladder in place (just another scott wade fcuk-up i suppose:thumbsdown:)

can anyone inform me of how i can obtain the premier, regional and osfa ladders

regards
cwp falcon :cool:

being a former tassie boy, now applying my trade way out west of australia i still like to check out how my former clubs are going.

but i have noticed that because the tassie crabs(oops i mean devils):) are going about as good as fitzroy in 1996, that the southern football website has no up to date results or ladder in place (just another scott wade fcuk-up i suppose:thumbsdown:)

can anyone inform me of how i can obtain the premier, regional and osfa ladders

regards
cwp falcon :cool:
Should find them here
http://www.sportingpulse.com/select_node.cgi?cID=40&p=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back