Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here are my tips Sportstalk

SFL Premier League Round 11

Brighton v Kingborough at Pontville (Brighton by 5 goals)

North Hobart v Hobart at North Hobart Oval (North Hobart by 16 goals)

Glenorchy v Lauderdale at KGV (Glenorchy by 14 goals)

New Norfolk v Clarence at Boyer (Clarence by 2 goals)

SFL Regional League Round 12

Sorell v Claremont at Pembroke Park (Claremont by 9 goals)

Channel v Cygnet at Snug Park (Cygnet by 6 goals)

Dodges Ferry v Kermandie at Shark Park (Kermandie by 4 goals)

Triabunna v Central Hawks at The Bunna (Central by 4 goals)

Lindisfarne v Huonville at ANZAC Park (Lindisfarne by 22 goals)

NTFL Round 13

East Devonport v Burnie at Girdlestone Park (Burnie by 32 goals)

Penguin v Latrobe at Pirtek Oval (Latrobe by 36 goals)

Launceston v Wynyard at Windsor Park (Launceston by 33 goals)

South L'ton v Smithton at Youngtown (Smithton by 3 goals)

Ulverstone v North L'ton at Victoria Street, Sunday (North Launceston 3 goals)

NTFA Division One Round 11

Hillwood v Deloraine at Hillwood (Hillwood 4 goals)

Bridgenorth v Scottsdale at Parrot Park (Bridgenorth by 5 goals)

George Town v Bracknell at Blue Gum Park (George Town by 10 goals)

Rocherlea v Longford at Rocherlea (Rocherlea 3 goals)

NTFA Division Two Round 10

OL's v Fingal at Invermay Park (Fingal by 40 goals)

Evandale v Tamar Cats at Morven Park (Tamar by 17 goals)

St Pats v Perth at The Beach (Perth by 3 goals)
Uni-Mowbray v Old Scotch at The Campus (Old Scoth by 4 goals)

"And I don't think the loss of Curran will be too much of a deterrant.

I have filmed two of those beltings at KGV over the years.

The more average sides always struggle on big grounds. Was their draw at home in Round 4 http://dufftv.com.au/?p=132 partly to do with the smaller ground?

They have improved a great deal but this will be the true test of where Lauderdale are really at.[/quote]

Chin up last night Duff about the footy show. i bet you thought you had it in the bag! wasnt bad but looks like the 150 game veteran from north hobart got the prize

A bit unlucky Duff, especially to lose out to Curto! haha

Thanks but I'm pretty happy with the $500!

I'm certain that Diva goal has already been sent in before. You know what I sent in about 10 awesome goals and marks from when I started doing filming from the WRFL in Melbourne but they have never made it on. Some absolute classics.

One in particular was this, just picture a 9 yo girl throwing in the beall against a 1 goal breeze with two 35 YO over size reserve ruckman jostling for position only 2 metres from her. Took her 3 goes to get it to the boys as the breeze was blowing it back to her. You'd have to see it but it would nearly win the yearly prize I reckon.

Got a call from Poppa Puiselli claiming $250 from the $500 for the Glenorchy players trip. I will consider a donation.

Tasmania 3.3 6.5 7.5 7.14 (56)
Werribee Tigers 0.5 3.7 11.11 17.19 (121)

GOALS:
Tasmania: Shackleton 2 Hardy 2 Vearing Setchell Charlesworth

Werribee Tigers: Podsiadly 3 Ross 2 Gleeson 2 Warren 2 Brown 2 Quigley Castello Howard Barlow Goldstein Greenwood

BEST:
Tasmania: Setchell Savage Long Richter Thurley Plummer
Werribee Tigers: Podsiadly Thompson Goldstein Greenwood Barlow Ross

Tasmania kicked the 1st goal after half time at the 3 minute mark to lead by 23 points. That was their last goal of the match, Werribee kicking the final 14 goals.
Crowd Around 2000

New Norfolk gritty

New Norfolk showed some real character today.

They were worse than terrible for a qtr and a half and at one stage it was 58 to 3 points. They then kicked the next 6 out of 7 and showed some grit.

Always good to see an undermanned side having a crack. No Carver or Belcher but they have some good young blokes.

Sportstalk sorry mate I said it would be 10 goals to Glenorchy. Ended up being 59 points!

Watching the games go through and looks like Cornelius did it easy. Jake Cox (number 25) took 4 bounces from the wing and kicked a ripper from 40 out. Devine Theatre was on show at Nth Hobart in what looked like a good game.

Hey Hobart players, just think that you could play on this grand ground if you want to. Surely if you (the players) united as one went to your board and said "We want Nth Hobart to be out home ground" that the club would have to do it, set up in the Plaister stand and bingo.

You could still play 1-2 games at the TCA but why on earth would you not want to play at the home of football where your club will have a better chance of attracting better players.

Cooee and Burnie Tigers did it for years sharing the one ground.

Ok Kingpin I await your reply.

Don't worry about that, I'm waiting for his comments on the speculation in the paper today of Hobart wearing the black and gold colours in the "New and Improved" Statewide League!

Becuase we all know he hates that topic! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry about that, I'm waiting for his comments on the speculation in the paper today of Hobart wearing the black and gold colours in the "New and Improved" Statewide League!

Becuase we all know he hates that topic! :p
So Barge, not just because it will p*ss the big fella off, but what do you think a good name for a merged Hobart/Sandy Bay team would be;
Handy Bay... Sandbart...Hobbay...
Then we can work on the merged jumper... maybe the blue and white stripe with a tiger imposed on the front or black jumper with a blue and white stripe in place of the yellow one?

Roorat, you've been drinking again haven't you! :D

I'm offering odds on when he says "I notice Glenorchy/Devonport and North Launceston/Lauderdale won't have to change their colours. Why didn't the SFL and Hobart decide on this before 1998 when they had to change colours because of Kingston" or something along those lines.

$1.05 that he gives it a run before I next check the boards.

And that will be sometime tomorrow!

$10,001 that he fully endorses Hobart playing in the Statewide League wearing the maroon, blue and gold under the Lions moniker!

Re: New Norfolk gritty

New Norfolk showed some real character today.

They were worse than terrible for a qtr and a half and at one stage it was 58 to 3 points. They then kicked the next 6 out of 7 and showed some grit.

Always good to see an undermanned side having a crack. No Carver or Belcher but they have some good young blokes.

Sportstalk sorry mate I said it would be 10 goals to Glenorchy. Ended up being 59 points!

Watching the games go through and looks like Cornelius did it easy. Jake Cox (number 25) took 4 bounces from the wing and kicked a ripper from 40 out. Devine Theatre was on show at Nth Hobart in what looked like a good game.

Hey Hobart players, just think that you could play on this grand ground if you want to. Surely if you (the players) united as one went to your board and said "We want Nth Hobart to be out home ground" that the club would have to do it, set up in the Plaister stand and bingo.

You could still play 1-2 games at the TCA but why on earth would you not want to play at the home of football where your club will have a better chance of attracting better players.

Like I said to you last night Duff, I'll wear that one on the chin. I'll learn not to do my tips on the Monday!! :thumbsu:

Benny - you were around the mark with some of your tips, especially the Tamar/Evandale and Scotch/Uni results, good work.

Look's like I'll have to do my speil later this evening I think...:thumbsu:

Oh how my Saturday Afternoons are always uplifted around 4.45pm when Triple M are paused and good ol Sportstalk tries to pretend he's James Brashaw lol . . .

In all seriousness I really do laugh - keep up the quality humour old pal !

Re: New Norfolk gritty

Duff TV said:

I think it would be good for the club under the proviso that the club isn't screwed financially like it was in its last two groundshare arrangements.
Back in 1982 John 'Bullbars' Bennett from the TANFL kicked Hobart off the TCA Ground and shunted them out to KGV, Glenorchy didn't want Hobart out there playing on their ground.
The club had no means or infrastructure out there to make any sort of money from their matches and sank further and further into debt, it was really only the old Brisbane Hotel that was keeping them afloat by 1985-86.
The attendance figures from home matches out there were poor and we didn't make much off the gate at any stage out there, perhaps with the exception of the second half of the 1986 season when we had a run of 10 wins out of 11 in mid season.
The club gets a bit of backbone and pressure's the TFL into moving to North Hobart for 1987 and beyond, the onfield performances improve, our attendances jump and we make more coin in the process for awhile.
Only problem is, North Hobart are allowed by the league to continuously run their bars and kiosks at our home matches - in essence North are being granted a home match every week of the season plus finals every week without even playing, and the money goes directly to North Hobart while Hobart loses out and later, Sandy Bay suffers from the same problem when they move there.
The TFL was spineless in regard to that issue, they knew all about it - it was raised by both clubs numerous times, but the TFL kept allowing it to happen.
That's the reason why the Bay kept moving back to Queenborough and playing games at Snug and Hobart went back to the TCA in the mid-90's.
Purely economics - it certainly wasn't because the facilities at the TCA, Queenborough or Snug were better than North Hobart ;)
Moreso, because of a bumdeal financially in playing there.

If they did move back to North Hobart - something I'd like to see happen - they'd have to be better looked after than the way they were back in the late 80's and the 90's.
I can remember board members at the time with frowns on their faces stating that everytime we set foot on North Hobart we'd be making another financial loss each match we'd play there.
Hobart would be stupid to go back there if that scenario existed, unpoliced, again given that they've pretty much eradicated the previous debts from the TFL-era :thumbsu:

Roorat, you've been drinking again haven't you! :D

I'm offering odds on when he says "I notice Glenorchy/Devonport and North Launceston/Lauderdale won't have to change their colours. Why didn't the SFL and Hobart decide on this before 1998 when they had to change colours because of Kingston" or something along those lines.

$1.05 that he gives it a run before I next check the boards.

And that will be sometime tomorrow!

$10,001 that he fully endorses Hobart playing in the Statewide League wearing the maroon, blue and gold under the Lions moniker!

$20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 ;)

I read the article in the car on my way to Lonnie on Saturday morning and thought to myself, finally a bit of common sense!
In all honesty, I think it's a smart thing to do, it's common sense.
We've already seen what happens to many clubs when you remove their identities, it causes a lot of needless problems and it just drives people away.
Keep your identity, wear alternate jumpers when appropriate :thumbsu:

It used to happen in the old State Grand Finals, Hobart wore a yellow TFL jumper in the '59 State Premiership against the Burnie Tigers for example.
More common sense 50 years ago than now :eek:

Hobart didn't have a problem with dropping the jumper and emblem when they first came into the SFL, it was accepted by the members and we got on with it.
Did we miss our old traditions? Oh shit yeah, but others had changed so we had to get on with it.
The supporters, the ordinary bread & butter fan that went to the games each week used to yell out 'Car'n the Tigers!' because that's what they'd done for decades before, and Kingston thought the club should be punished for that. Absurd. :thumbsdown:
Then some at Kingston started changing the rules as they went along inventing all these new demands basically because they couldn't beat us at football so had to compensate in other areas - and when the former TFL sides came in back in 2001 they were flouting the same rules (ridiculous as the rules were) that Hobart were bound by.
It was then that our members started arcing up a lot more about it.
New Norfolk, Clarence, Glenorchy got their identities back, North Hobart went to the SFL and were granted theirs (even though Brighton wore the same uniform in the same league - disregarding the same rule Hobart had to adhere to).
Hobart could walk into the SFL tomorrow and demand that they be allowed to wear their old strip and have their old emblem returned.
It ends up being a moot point anyway, all these new people took over Hobart and adopted a new emblem and jumper, most of them never even watched Hobart in the old TFL days.
"Oh really! Did Hobart play State League?" :eek:
In any case, Hobart won't be returning to the Tigers while that lot (and Philip Baker in particular) are around and the cycle will continue.
Not only that, but I can't see Hobart joining up.

As for Sandy Bay-Hobart - see the 2008 Statewide League thread.

Seems like no one wants to go Statewide again, was chatting to a few blokes I know yesterday (one's an '88 Premiership player) that go to quite a few Devonport matches and they reckon the club couldn't really afford it.
Some pretty good letters in the Advocate regarding Wade and the new league.
Good article in the Saturday Mercury from the New Norfolk president too in regard to it :thumbsu:

Oh how my Saturday Afternoons are always uplifted around 4.45pm when Triple M are paused and good ol Sportstalk tries to pretend he's James Brashaw lol . . .

In all seriousness I really do laugh - keep up the quality humour old pal !

Thanks mate, mind you the NRL that Triple M cover over the web on a Monday night, their commentators aren't much better. Sadly that's the only station I can listen on to get the call :thumbsdown:

Anyway, here's the Monday morning briefing...

SFL Premier League Round 11: And North Hobart proved that they are hot property at the moment, seeing off Hobart's challenge to win by 10 points at HQ. Glenorchy comfortably accounted for Lauderdale by 64 points (with Duff on the money there), Clarence with their fast start shook off the Eagles by 44 at Boyer and Kingborough won a good contest against Brighton by 19 at Pontville

Ladder: Glenorchy 38, North Hobart 32, Clarence 28 (141.7), Hobart 28 (107.8), Lauderdale 22, New Norfolk 16, Kingborough 8, Brighton 4

SFL Regional League Round 12: Sorell outlasted Claremont at home to get a 15 point win, thanks to 6 goals from Trent Standen. Cygnet won the clash of the cellar dwellers against Channel by an even 100 at Snug. Dodges Ferry slaughtered Kermandie by 85 at Shark Park. Central Hawks held off an improving Triabunna by 25 and Huonville again stumbled on the big stage against the rampaging Lindisfarne by 74.

Ladder: Lindisfarne 48, Dodges 36, Claremont 32, Huonville 28 (128), Sorell 28 (120), Kermandie 28 (115), Central Hawks 20, Triabunna 12, Cygnet 8, Channel 0

NTFL Round 13: And yesterday, Ulverstone redeemed themselves from their near 100 point belting, accounting for North L'ton by 46. Latrobe always looked like winners against a fumbling Penguin by 77, South L'ton cast aside a disappointing Smithton by 60, Burnie didn't impress the coach but got the points over Easts by 74 and not surprisingly Adam Derbyshire got his 100th goal for the year as Launceston gave Wynyard a 205 point belting.

Ladder: Launceston 48, Burnie 40, Ulverstone 36, Latrobe 28, South L'ton 24(110.9), North L'ton 24(104.7), Smithton 24 (91.6), Devonport 20, Penguin 8, Easts 4, Wynyard 4

NTFA Div 1 Round 11: Bracknell caused the boilover of the season heading to Blue Gum Park and trouncing George Town by 37, Scottsdale ended Bridgenorth's finals hopes with a 108 point hiding, Deloraine fell over the line against Hillwood by 16 and Longford overran Rocherlea to win by 30

Ladder: Longford 36 (208.1), George Town 36 (150.8), Rocherlea 24 (110.9), Bracknell 24 (101.5), Scottsdale 20 (112.8), Deloraine 20 (87.6), Bridgenorth 16, Hillwood 0

NTFA Div 2 Round 10: Old Scotch saw off a spirited Uni Mowbray to win by 20 points, Tamar Cats were a bit off the boil against Evandale, but still won by 63. Perth thumped an awful St Pats outfit at home by 135 and OL's season takes another turn for the worst, this time Fingal trounced them by 175.

Ladder: Fingal 32 (171.0), Old Scotch 32 (157.7), Perth 28 (164.1), Tamar Cats 28 (156.2), St Pats 20, Uni-Mowbray 8, Evandale 8, OL's 4

Next Week - Rep Games at Devonport Oval (No SFL, NTFL or Div 1 NTFA)
9:30 - State Under 16's v NTFL Under 19's
11:30 - NTFA v SFL Regional League
2:00 - NTFL v SFL Premier League

NTFA Division Two Round 11:
Tamar Cats v Uni-Mowbray, Evandale v St Pats, Old Scotch v OL's, Perth v Fingal

I reckon less scores more of you giving brief descriptions of the games - or maybe just the game of the round which could be the game your at. Just as long as we dont miss the worst on votes on Triple M.

I reckon less scores more of you giving brief descriptions of the games - or maybe just the game of the round which could be the game your at. Just as long as we dont miss the worst on votes on Triple M.

Only thing is most of the time I'm in the Northern half of the state, and it costs about $70 to get a return trip down to Hobart.
Will certainly be more detailed this week, no SFL games, just the Rep Matches at Devonport to cover.

Media coverage of local footy

It's great that people are giving old Sportstalk feedback but the only way you footy punters will ever get a more in depth coverage from games from blokes like Sportstalk and myself is when the local leagues have their own dedicated media arm.

In suburban football in Melbourne this is the case. Each or most Leagues such as the WRFL in Western Melbourne (where I learnt my caper) have a paid "Media Officer" who then works in with a video producer to create radio shows for community radio and panel review/preview shows for either Channel 31 (free to air community TV) and/or the Aurora Channel on Foxtell.

But to do this you need a vision, a budget and someone willing to take a punt.

To date no-one is doing this in Tasmania and so we are left with shallow coverage such as 10 second news clips or un commentated highlight clips like the ones I have been posting recently. Sportstalk's brief reading of scores is no different to what the ABC do at qtr time. Its coverage at least but it could be so much more.

It disappoints me that The ABC, apart from Devils games with Blair Brownless can't go to games at get out amongst it. How hard would it be to go each week around local games and be actually at the footy rather than be a robot reading scores?

So the question is therefore why is it that local ABC radio does not commentate local footy including the Devils? Surely the costs associated with this are not that great given many grounds already have the infrastructure in place.

A decent coverage of local footy can become reality however. The Sportstalk, Kenny Anderson's and Martin Duffy's of the world only need the opportunity and we would be able to create in depth, interesting and engaging coverage every week just like in the old days.

A fair dinkum media arm representing the SFL/NTFL/NTFA could then liase with the ABC and myself and the above could happen.

But if people really can't be bothered and the decision makers keep the blinkers on it will never happen and continue to be hallway talk.

Seems we are all good at that.

Duff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back