Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Media coverage of local footy

It's great that people are giving old Sportstalk feedback but the only way you footy punters will ever get a more in depth coverage from games from blokes like Sportstalk and myself is when the local leagues have their own dedicated media arm.

In suburban football in Melbourne this is the case. Each or most Leagues such as the WRFL in Western Melbourne (where I learnt my caper) have a paid "Media Officer" who then works in with a video producer to create radio shows for community radio and panel review/preview shows for either Channel 31 (free to air community TV) and/or the Aurora Channel on Foxtell.

But to do this you need a vision, a budget and someone willing to take a punt.

To date no-one is doing this in Tasmania and so we are left with shallow coverage such as 10 second news clips or un commentated highlight clips like the ones I have been posting recently. Sportstalk's brief reading of scores is no different to what the ABC do at qtr time. Its coverage at least but it could be so much more.

It disappoints me that The ABC, apart from Devils games with Blair Brownless can't go to games at get out amongst it. How hard would it be to go each week around local games and be actually at the footy rather than be a robot reading scores?

So the question is therefore why is it that local ABC radio does not commentate local footy including the Devils? Surely the costs associated with this are not that great given many grounds already have the infrastructure in place.

A decent coverage of local footy can become reality however. The Sportstalk, Kenny Anderson's and Martin Duffy's of the world only need the opportunity and we would be able to create in depth, interesting and engaging coverage every week just like in the old days.

A fair dinkum media arm representing the SFL/NTFL/NTFA could then liase with the ABC and myself and the above could happen.

But if people really can't be bothered and the decision makers keep the blinkers on it will never happen and continue to be hallway talk.

Seems we are all good at that.

Duff

Don't forget that I do a blog on the SFL/NTFL and both NTFA Divisions too, which I took up doing last year. The NTFA I started on this season. ;)

Wrote a lengthy email to Dearest Mr Wade on the media coverage aspect myself Duff.

It's rather lengthy, so unless there's enough interest, I won't post it up here.

Wrote a lengthy email to Dearest Mr Wade on the media coverage aspect myself Duff.

It's rather lengthy, so unless there's enough interest, I won't post it up here.

I'd be interested to see it.

I haven't received a response from Dominic Baker yet re: my last letter on the state of AFL in Tasmania

Love to see it, common guys show us what you wrote, maybe give to the regional rags and say no response from Wade/Baker et al, get them to place some pressure on a response from the recipients? We often disagree however the common thread appears to be no-one out there has faith in Mr Wade:cool:

Love to see it, common guys show us what you wrote, maybe give to the regional rags and say no response from Wade/Baker et al, get them to place some pressure on a response from the recipients? We often disagree however the common thread appears to be no-one out there has faith in Mr Wade:cool:

If this was politics and there was this amount of dissatisfaction with what goes on then the man at the top would be sacked and replaced.

How is this any different to the Paul Lennon scenario?

I'd be interested to see it.

I haven't received a response from Dominic Baker yet re: my last letter on the state of AFL in Tasmania

Here you go:

Dear Mr Wade,

I am writing this email as a passionate supporter of local football in Southern Tasmania, and as a lover of the game in general, who fears that Football in Southern Tasmania - for both the SFL Premier and Regional Leagues is slumping dramatically.

As you must be aware, fewer people are getting involved in local Football each year. Sure, there is the excitement of a big, blockbuster game every now and then, but no one seems to be overly interested in or excited by grass roots Football anymore.

As to why I believe this is so, it's simple - I contribute it to a disturbing lack of media coverage of Football at any level below the Devils.

Brief snippets of two to three games of the weekends action from the SFL are played on the news of a weekend, score updates on at strange times on Southern Cross, the radio updates on ABC radio consist only of scores, and there would be no more than 10 articles per week written on local football in the Mercury.

This is not enough to get lovers of SFL football to continue turning up to games - how is it supposed to attract new members of our various communities to the Football?

What I propose is a massive improvement on the laughable lack of media coverage the SFL is generating at the moment. The financial commitment needed to implement these changes may be a large hurdle - but will go a long way to attracting larger crowds, for SFL clubs, and AFL Tasmania to be collecting greater revunues, and local football will once again boom.

The changes that I recommend I do not believe should all be implemented immediately. Making small steps initially, such as increasing the amount of times SFL results, articles and news appears in the media, and increasing the size and depth of each of these items.

This will slowly but surely see that SFL is once again drilled into people's consciousness - they'll want to hear more about it.

And when it gets to this stage, AFL Tas must again increase the media coverage the SFL gets.

Have a 20-30 minute local football talk back show on ABC radio that talks of the games, the players, the dramas and theatrics of Football that make us all want to be involved in such a great game.

Have camera men at the match of the round each week, slowly increasing the amount of games covered each week as interest grows, and use these clips to come up with a highlights package that shows the skills, the talents of SFL footballers. Show high tension moments, the crowd getting involved in the action. Make the viewer want to make local Football what it was about 10 years previous.

Air advertisements about the weekends games on radio, television and through written media - make sure everyone knows about the match closest to them - or if a ripper game is on nearby.

Slowly a SFL (or SWL) weekly television show can be funded. Get local football callers to host the show, and organise a panel of exciting guests from various organisations, clubs and committees to discuss the weeks action. Make it quirky, colourful, make it exciteable, make it what you want local football to be seen as.

With the impending arrival of the State Wide League approaching, a boost in excitement towards local football is desperately needed.

I'm hoping that some, if not most of these ideas can be implemented into AFL Tasmania's plans for the SFL in the forseeale future.

Regards,

Adam Langenberg (16)

Received an elusive reply from Mr Wade today after sending it last night, but he forwarded it onto numerous members of the AFL and AFL Tas.

Received an elusive reply from Mr Wade today after sending it last night, but he forwarded it onto numerous members of the AFL and AFL Tas.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: I'm impressed, this is a well written email especially from a 16 year old orange maggot:D

This might spur some of those pea brained pinheads into action (sadly I think this is wishful thinking)

I wouldn't mind reading what our favourite son Mr Wade wrote in reply, thats if you can be bothered writing it out again.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: I'm impressed, this is a well written email especially from a 16 year old orange maggot:D

This might spur some of those pea brained pinheads into action (sadly I think this is wishful thinking)

I wouldn't mind reading what our favourite son Mr Wade wrote in reply, thats if you can be bothered writing it out again.

Thanks very much mate.

Thought it was wishful thinking myself, but hoped it would at least allow for them to consider changes to the amount of media coverage the SFL attracts.

This is th ereply I received:

Adam,

Thank you for letting us know your views – AFL TAS certainly believes that a football product that encompasses the “whole state”; rather than just one region, provides an opportunity for increased media exposure of grassroots football in all regions of Tasmania.

Undoubtedly the AFL national competition is the football product that will continue to attract the interest of most football fans. The media rights that are generated by the AFL assist all states and territories to continue to heavily invest in the development of the game in all regions throughout the nation.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts.

Regards
Scott Wade
General Manager
AFL Tasmania

6230 1807 or 0419 024 406

Media coverage of local footy

Adam

Well done on your letter to Scott Wade but forget about dealing with them mate in hope of better media coverage for SFL and other Regional footy.

They are just not interested.

Look at what their attitude towards grass roots footy is when they have basically said that its now or never for a Statewide League.

They are in effect saying do it our way now or get nothing.

It truly breaks my heart to know that so many good people at so many clubs bust their guts to keep their clubs afloat and then this what they get from the top.

Its disgusting.

I'm impressed not only with your letter TFLUA-Tiger, but also that you got a response from Mr Wade. I do see his point in the SWL allowing greater media coverage of grass roots footy and feel that a pooling of funds and attention on the one premier league will only benefit Tasmanian football. They should appoint a media officer if and when it takes off.

Making small steps initially, such as increasing the amount of times SFL results, articles and news appears in the media, and increasing the size and depth of each of these items.
This will slowly but surely see that SFL is once again drilled into people's consciousness - they'll want to hear more about it.

And when it gets to this stage, AFL Tas must again increase the media coverage the SFL gets.

I agree completely that more media coverage means more interest. More interest in the game means more media coverage. Etc etc

However - we all must remember that AFL Tasmania does not control the media. Scott Wade cannot MAKE articles appear in the Mercury. He can suggest ideas, he can organise photo opportunities that he thinks would make a good back page picture, or even a nice shot for inside somewhere.

But he cannot force the Mercury's Sports Editor, chief sport sub or any of their senior writers to put anything into print. The media is independent of AFL Tas, even though the Mercury does seem to have a pretty tight relationship over the Devils.

Space on TV and in newspapers is very expensive. Thousands of dollars per page and per 30 seconds of airtime for advertisers. Newspapers have to sell, tv stations have to rate. So if they're putting things on TV that don't rate, or putting things on the front or back page that don't sell, you can bet they won't do it too often. AFL Tas has to prove there is a market for people who will buy the Mercury based on the strength of its SFL coverage. Given AFL's dominance in buying and watching preferences, I doubt they will be able to make that case.

Given that they can't force any media outlets to do anything, and they're fighting a battle against the AFL, there are things they could do - things a media officer would help with.
- get round clubs to get the most interesting stories and make club presidents, coaches, captains etc readily available to the media.
- get clubs on board to play up rivalries, including posing for striking images and making comments that will merit a prominent spot on the back or just inside.
- speak to media outlets early in the week to discuss a plan of coverage for the rest of the week, especially for blockbuster games.

The key is working with the media - no one can force them to do anything.

And nice work with the letter :) the more people who express their concerns eloquently and offer solutions, the better. If every footy fan did the same I reckon things would improve faster :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media Officer needed for Tassie Footy.

The key is working with the media - no one can force them to do anything.

That's right just things like having a decent backdrop for interviews would make a difference to the perception of grass roots footy.

Just saw Winter and Ling being interviewed. Looked like they were in Jail - ugly white blank walls in the background yet Lance Spaulding's Devils interview at least had a Devils logo banner behind him.

A half clued up Media office would attend to this detail.

Its not hard or rocket science all this

A half clued up Media office would attend to this detail.

Its not hard or rocket science all this
Exactly. And a media officer might have read over the State League Business Plan and removed the stack of typos, grammatical mistakes, and the far-too-extensive use of exclamation marks. It's supposed to be a professional document detailing the future of football in the state and it reads like a grade nine book report. I find it hard to believe the AFL approved it in the form it was sent out to clubs. Too many colourful charts and round numbers when it needed clear direction and hard figures.

TFLUA Tiger, well done on your letter. However, for mine I can see Wade seeing your age at the end and scoffing "Ha, stupid teenager!" and disregarding your points, no matter how meritorious they are!

Perhaps its the cynic in me but Wade's "reply" seems very much templated to me!

Perhaps its the cynic in me but Wade's "reply" seems very much templated to me![/quote]

Spot on here Barge.

OK tips for this weekend's lack of matches, due to the rep weekend:

Rep Season at Devonport Oval
9:30 - NTFL Under 19 v State Under 16 (NTFL u19's by 46)
- Last year it was 124 points between the two sides, but it is agreed this year for the NTFL to field a side where players haven't played more than 2 senior games, to give the Under 16's a bit of a chance. Still, the NTFL should prove too good anyway.

11:30 - NTFA v SFL Regional League (NTFA by 75)
- I haven't been more certain of a win than this. The SFL regional league side is dogged by unavailabilties and injury which won't help them at all, but their lack of depth will be exposed here. The NTFA at full strength with Wickham and Adams on fire up forward will torch the SFL Regional.

2:00 - NTFL v SFL (NTFL by 22)
- No Curran, Geappen, Hall, but still a side that is a respectable one all the same for the SFL. However, how will the defensive unit of the SFL stand up to an inform Derbyshire, Plapp, Ford, Finch (Brian) and a fired up NTFL side out for redemption for last year's loss? Expect that to be the driving factor for a NTFL win.

NTFA Div 2 Round 11
Tamar Cats v Uni-Mowbray at Beauty Point (Tamar by 33)
- Again another week without key personnel for Uni-Mowbray, but they do have a knack of keeping pace with their opponents and Tamar might find the going a lot more tough than expected, but should still get the prize.

Evandale v St Pats at Morven Park (Evandale by 6)
- A danger game and trip for the Saints to visit the Eagles nest, where up to four changes are on the cards. Evandale at home tend to surprise a few sides and if they are good enough here they might pluck a win out of no-where.

Old Scotch v OL's at NTCA (Scotch by 180)
- I don't think there will be a repeat of last week's under-par effort from Old Scotch, especially with top spot and percentage up for grabs.

Perth v Fingal at Perth (Perth by 2)
- Only home ground advantage is swaying me, very even sides and both at full strength, all depends on Latham and Jaffray to get the score on the board.

Hang on, just had a thought re-reading Wade's reply to young Tiger .....

WADE SAID: Thank you for letting us know your views – AFL TAS certainly believes that a football product that encompasses the “whole state”; rather than just one region, provides an opportunity for increased media exposure of grassroots football in all regions of Tasmania.

Using myself as an example, I'm meant to believe as a Claremont supporter, that a Statewide League would result in "increased media exposure" for the Regional League than the coverage they enjoy now?

PAAAAH-LEASE!

And more to the point, doesn't AFL Tasmania already cover more than "just the one region"...? I mean, you wouldn't know it by looking at the Devils' fixture list this year, but aren't there 2 regions in Tasmania...?

And you guys think Wotherspoon is just trying to stir s h i t...!

NTFL v SFL Results are in the NTFL/SFL Thread.

NTFA Division Two round 11 saw Tamar Cats belt Uni-Mowbray by 136, St Pats surged back from a huge form slump to down Evandale by 95, Old Scotch predictably slaughtered OL's by 167 and Perth saw off Fingal to get an 8 point win.

Ladder (approximate): Old Scotch 36, Tamar Cats 32, Perth 32, Fingal 32, St Pats 24, Uni-Mowbray 8, Evandale 8, OL's 4

Now that the SFL has lost I now hope Winter and co pick some of the players on form not just names,of course losing Hall , Geappen, and Curran dont help, but the Northerners had players out too. Each club coach should have an impact on the players picked from each club,i spoke to a few coaches and there choice of players would vary to some of the ones picked on form ,so can someone tell me the criteria to being selected for the sqaud, got me and others baffled about a few selections made

Now that the SFL has lost I now hope Winter and co pick some of the players on form not just names,of course losing Hall , Geappen, and Curran dont help, but the Northerners had players out too. Each club coach should have an impact on the players picked from each club,i spoke to a few coaches and there choice of players would vary to some of the ones picked on form ,so can someone tell me the criteria to being selected for the sqaud, got me and others baffled about a few selections made

what selections baffled you

One R Devine..... Yes he is good in the local comp but representing the SFL??? The NTFL would have said to who ever played on him to just run off and expose him.

Devine looked embarrasing! I felt sorry for him, what a disgraceful selection!!!

It was a low light for the SFL to play him, there needs to be a change next year with the selection process!!:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back