Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingpin,

can you do us a favour, you seem to be a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge.

having trouble trying to remember the name of that fella who played for north laun, they used to call him the "gnome", i think he passed away prior to them winning their flag? Would you know his name?

Yes as TomKat said, Jamie Dennis!
Had long hair, and a 'tache and wore the number 44.
Originally from Scottsdale Magpies before he made his name in the TFL with the Robins.
Passed away in 1995 of cancer I believe.
The Robins dedicated their 1995 Premiership to him and club servant Dennis Cash, who both died that year.
On Grand Final day, in the pissing rain you could hear Rhys-Jones running about when the Roos looked likely to get on top yelling 'JDC' - Jamie Dennis Cash.

Kingpin,

bumped into boots today down the shop on his way back from golf. what a coincidence after you mentioning yesterday about him, brand and goulding. hadnt seen him for a while prior to that.
Yeah he's a great fella is ol' Boots, I haven't seen him in awhile myself, I think it was an HFC OPO&SA function about a year or so back.
I think the Old Players Association were keen to get him on board back then, but hasn't really happened.
Would be a great asset to a proper Hobart Tigers footy club. :thumbsu:

Still here Cadoras!

The Nossiter who would have played in the cricket side for Claremont College all those years ago would have been Zane's Brother, Adam. Zane to the best of my memory didn't go to the fabulous learning institution up on the hill.

I did see the photo of Joffa in the Herald as well, you probably didn't see it til yesterday though, as my sources tell me Snug is like Queenstown and the Melbourne papers don't get delivered there til the next day!

Kingpin, as for Brer Fox' Son Nathan, don't expect any miracles from him.

I'd love a dollar for every time, either at Glenorchy or Claremont I've heard someone say "He's as weak as p... Nothing like his Father when he used to play!"

You remember this, Wilbur35?

Caused a hell of a rift at Claremont in 1998 did Brer through his refusal to drop his Son from the Seniors when he went weeks without getting a sniff.

In a players' meeting when one of the questions brought up was "Why won't you drop your Son?" Fox astounded the players when he said Nathan continues to get a game because there is no other options in the Reserves as a possible Senior wingman.

Who were the 2 best players for Claremont in the Reserves the previous week? THE TWO WINGMEN!

And they had both played plenty of good Senior Football and were both light years better than ol Nathan!

One of them was an old team mate of yours down the road Wilbur35 - Fabulous Phil Bacon!

Remember him?!

have to agree wilbur, he is a top bloke imo,
very intense on the park, but thats just due to the bloke wanting to win at all costs!
I played under him at Sorell, was a decent coach, my only critisism as with a lot of coaches he tended to over do things with players who just werent capable, our best results came when he kept things simple. But all said and done we had a decent year considering our lack of talent, i would be still playing at sorell now if he was 2'S coach.
As for "dakka" i played against him and thought he was an utter f.. wit, but i met him off the ground and he seemed ok. probly very similar to Nos.

Its called WHITE LINE FEVER!!
Played against Nos', played with Nos'. Anyone who says he's not a decent bloke obviously only knows of him.
He'd be the first bloke you'd want on your side if you were in trouble. Not necessarily in a fight, but he'd back his mates to the hilt.
As for on the field, one of the most courageous players i've seen. I got rubbed out for belting him once (they caught me the third time), and so did two other blokes on the same day. We smashed him from pillar to post and he just kept getting up. For memory I think we beat 'em by less than a kick.

Every bloke in our side, and a few realy hated his guts, made sure they shool his hand before we even celebrated. You can only respect the bloke if you saw that game.

He is an arrogant like pr$%k though. I got a few mates at sorell, and the young blokes there worship him.

He can't play cricket either, though he'll tell you different.

Yes as TomKat said, Jamie Dennis!
Had long hair, and a 'tache and wore the number 44.
Originally from Scottsdale Magpies before he made his name in the TFL with the Robins.
Passed away in 1995 of cancer I believe.
The Robins dedicated their 1995 Premiership to him and club servant Dennis Cash, who both died that year.
On Grand Final day, in the pissing rain you could hear Rhys-Jones running about when the Roos looked likely to get on top yelling 'JDC' - Jamie Dennis Cash.

I had the privelidge of being coached by Jamie at Branxholm and apart from beig a fantastic player was an outstanding person. Died of testicular cancer, one of my heroes on many levels.

Yep that's the one. 1990 Grand Final.
Golding went down 90 seconds into the first quarter, after being slung in a tackle by none other than Tony 'Boots' Marchant in front of the Doug Plaister Stand.
It was showery in the opening minutes, and as he was tackled he slid oddly and did the 'good' knee - he missed about 6 or 7 rounds towards the end of the season after doing his other knee - and never played again.
To their credit, North stayed in the match pretty well for the next three quarters under assistant coach Robbie Sanders, but the last quarter was all the Tiges, North couldn't get near the ball in the last quarter.
Interestingly, Golding won the ABC Footballer Of The Year that year despite missing about 6 or 7 roster games leading up to around finals time. Good player.

Can anyone remember the game Goulding played in the second semi vs. the Tigers? 40 possesions at 3 quarter time, the best individual performance i've ever witnessed on a football ground. I rate him as one of the best i've ever seen in Tassie. Travesty when he went down, i still believe North would have won if he'd seen the game out.

While on the subjct of white line fever, we can't leave out Dale Wish-Wilson, ex Burnie Hawks/Dockers hardman/nut case. I was at York park one day when he jumped the fence and chased a group of supporters who had been heckling him. Usually that would have been suicide with the roup of supporters who frequented the hill in front of the old north change rooms as there were plenty of blokes who liked a scuffle there but they all took off!

I had a mate who played with him at Burnie and said that Wish was the nice bloke off the field, but a complete nutter on field, and could fight like a thrashing machine to back up his reputation. One "highlight" was playing against North when he had Mar McQueen in a eadlock and punched him to he was unconcious and his teeth came through his cheek, and when Steve came to help his brother he just kept on punching while telling him he was next. I think in the end it was Wish's team mates who actually stopped him.

Also during the 80's North line up with Brand Spearman and Damien Squirrel Ryan across CHB. I doubt there has been a more imtimidating line up in the history of the game.

On the subject of white line fever, the majority of players I know who have a reputation as a hard-man on the field, because of their willingness to throw their fists around and start fights aren't really all that. Most realise that the next time they go for the ball, the are going to cop it sweet, so are less than willing to put their head over the ball. Weak as piss if you ask me. Put your body over the ball and go hard at the ball. Leave the boxing in the gym.

Still here Cadoras!

I did see the photo of Joffa in the Herald as well, you probably didn't see it til yesterday though, as my sources tell me Snug is like Queenstown and the Melbourne papers don't get delivered there til the next day!

I actually saw it on the herald website, we are a bit more advanced these days down here.

hey, what happened to danny "Knuckles" mcvilly, another one of the claremont pygmies (there must be a whole new undiscovered pygmy tribe up there) who played for kempton as well.

Can anyone remember the game Goulding played in the second semi vs. the Tigers? 40 possesions at 3 quarter time, the best individual performance i've ever witnessed on a football ground. I rate him as one of the best i've ever seen in Tassie. Travesty when he went down, i still believe North would have won if he'd seen the game out.

Yes I was there that day. I sat right in amongst the North fans in the old Cameron-Tyson Stand :D
It was when you could seat people all the way to the back unlike when they filled it in with boxes.
They were dead quiet in there, there were 4 of us sitting amongst a couple of hundred Robins - we certainly let 'em know when the Tigers kicked goals, and they did the same back in that last quarter - all good fun. :D
Golding kept them in that match, Hobart were playing all over them for much of the second and third quarters, and he was really playing a lone hand until Todman, Kremerskothen etc all got going, gave up a 24-point lead we did and lost by 12.
He was awesome that day and was a terrific player, agreed. :thumbsu:

Just on Whish-Wilson, the match you described there was the '88 Elimination Final at Devonport when the Hawks and North Hobart staged one of the most violent matches ever.
Burnie won by 63-points and at the time they were pumped, and thought they were genuine favourites to go all the way through and play Devvo in the big one - an all Coastal Grand Final.
Got to Prelim Final day, talked it up bigtime all week, only problem was they left their ability behind on the bus and got thrashed by Glenorchy by 110-points in that Prelim :D

Righto guys - I'm just trying to find out a few bits of info on some of the clubs around the place, to piece together such as emblems and the year they were founded.
I've got quite a few, some of the ones I'm after are:

Tamar Cats - founding year.
Queenstown Crows - founding year.
Scottsdale Crows - founding year.
Lilydale Demons - founding year.
Yolla Demons - founding year.
Uni-Mowbray Eagles - founding year.
South Burnie Hawks - founding year.
Rosebery-Toorak Hawks - founding year.
Grassy Hawks - founding year.
Deloraine Kangaroos - founding year.
Hutchins Lions - founding year.
Richmond Lions - founding year.
Perth Magpies - founding year.
Mount Pleasant Mounties - founding year.
Bridgenorth Parrots - founding year.
University Rainbows - founding year.
Ross Redlegs - founding year.
Campbell Town Robins - founding year.
Sheffield Robins - founding year.
Ringarooma Robins - founding year.
Wilmot Robins - founding year.
DOSA Roosters - founding year.
St Virgil's Saints - founding year.
George Town Saints - founding year.
St Patricks Saints - founding year.
Latrobe Saints - founding year.
Bridport Seagulls - founding year.
Hillwood Sharks - founding year.
OHA Ships - founding year.
Swansea Swans - founding year.
St Helens Swans - founding year.
Old Scotch Collegians Thistles - founding year.
Rocherlea Tigers - founding year.
Railton Tigers - founding year.
St Marys Tigers - founding year.
Branxholm Wanderers - founding year.

Old Launcestonians - emblem and founding year.
Turners Beach - emblem and founding year.
East Ulverstone - emblem and founding year.
West Ulverstone - emblem and founding year.
Mole Creek - emblem and founding year.
Forth - emblem and founding year.
Motton Preston - emblem and founding year.
Scotchtown - emblem and founding year.
Irishtown - emblem and founding year.
Evandale - emblem and founding year.
Fingal Valley - emblem and founding year.
Bracknell - emblem and founding year.

If you could help it would be handy - cheers :p
AFL Tasmania seems to have no interest in the clubs, I might as well piece it all together myself.
I'll think of some more later ;)

Kingpin, the NEFU have a website www.nefu.com.au which can answer some of your questions, although it doesn't list the formation dates of the older clubs. Winnaleah are celebrating their centenary this year so they must have formed in 1907. There are some contact details on the website and the people there like Rhonda Wagner would answer most questions you have. It all gets a little muddled as the Wanderers were a club of players made up of sawmillers from Warrentinna and about the place, and Branxholm were actually morphed from the Wanderers before becoming the Canaries and then back to the Wanderers in the 90's. My grandfather was a Wanderer in the late 20's early thirties i think but then played about 3 or 4 hundred games for Branxholm and coached there in the 60's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingpin, the NEFU have a website www.nefu.com.au which can answer some of your questions, although it doesn't list the formation dates of the older clubs. Winnaleah are celebrating their centenary this year so they must have formed in 1907. There are some contact details on the website and the people there like Rhonda Wagner would answer most questions you have. It all gets a little muddled as the Wanderers were a club of players made up of sawmillers from Warrentinna and about the place, and Branxholm were actually morphed from the Wanderers before becoming the Canaries and then back to the Wanderers in the 90's. My grandfather was a Wanderer in the late 20's early thirties i think but then played about 3 or 4 hundred games for Branxholm and coached there in the 60's.

Thanks for that H :thumbsu:
I have Winnaleah as formed in 1906, there used to be a chick by the name of Megan that used to post on here that showed us that site quite awhile ago now, I think she had something to do with Winna, or involved with someone who was or something :p
Might fire off a few emails ;)

Mt Pleasant was founded in 1924.

The Ross Demons were formed in 1878.

Thanks Oz ;) :thumbsu:

This is fast becoming the biggest info place in Tassie football in here!
I'll try and suss out some of old Ray Hill's old contacts who are pretty knowledgeable, trouble is he no longer lives round the corner here, his old abode is about to be torn down and turned into North Hobart's 565354245241st car yard :(

Righto guys - I'm just trying to find out a few bits of info on some of the clubs around the place, to piece together such as emblems and the year they were founded.
I've got quite a few, some of the ones I'm after are:

Tamar Cats - founding year.
Queenstown Crows - founding year.
Scottsdale Crows - founding year.
Lilydale Demons - founding year.
Yolla Demons - founding year.
Uni-Mowbray Eagles - founding year.
South Burnie Hawks - founding year.
Rosebery-Toorak Hawks - founding year.
Grassy Hawks - founding year.
Deloraine Kangaroos - founding year.
Hutchins Lions - founding year.
Richmond Lions - founding year.
Perth Magpies - founding year.
Mount Pleasant Mounties - founding year.
Bridgenorth Parrots - founding year.
University Rainbows - founding year.
Ross Redlegs - founding year.
Campbell Town Robins - founding year.
Sheffield Robins - founding year.
Ringarooma Robins - founding year.
Wilmot Robins - founding year.
DOSA Roosters - founding year.
St Virgil's Saints - founding year.
George Town Saints - founding year.
St Patricks Saints - founding year.
Latrobe Saints - founding year.
Bridport Seagulls - founding year.
Hillwood Sharks - founding year.
OHA Ships - founding year.
Swansea Swans - founding year.
St Helens Swans - founding year.
Old Scotch Collegians Thistles - founding year.
Rocherlea Tigers - founding year.
Railton Tigers - founding year.
St Marys Tigers - founding year.
Branxholm Wanderers - founding year.

Old Launcestonians - emblem and founding year.
Turners Beach - emblem and founding year.
East Ulverstone - emblem and founding year.
West Ulverstone - emblem and founding year.
Mole Creek - emblem and founding year.
Forth - emblem and founding year.
Motton Preston - emblem and founding year.
Scotchtown - emblem and founding year.
Irishtown - emblem and founding year.
Evandale - emblem and founding year.
Fingal Valley - emblem and founding year.
Bracknell - emblem and founding year.

If you could help it would be handy - cheers :p
AFL Tasmania seems to have no interest in the clubs, I might as well piece it all together myself.
I'll think of some more later ;)

From the Football in Tasmania book by John Stoward circa 2000
Tamar Cats - 1989
Queenstown Crows - 1994
Scottsdale Crows - 1982
Lilydale Demons - circa 1921
Yolla Demons - circa 1920
Uni-Mowbray Eagles - est as Mowbray 1946
South Burnie Hawks - est APPM 1941, South Burnie 1951
Rosebery-Toorak Hawks - est Rosebery 1924, merged with Toorak 1986
Grassy Hawks - 1910
Deloraine Kangaroos - 1894
Hutchins Lions - Est 1879, Old Scholars/Amateurs Team 1932
Richmond Lions - 1878, were Richmond-Campania 1980-1990, Richmond 1991
Perth Magpies - 1880, into recess 1955-59, reformed 1960
Mount Pleasant Mounties - 1926, founded as York Plains
Bridgenorth Parrots - 1923
University Rainbows - circa 1936
Ross Redlegs - 1878, into recess 2000-05, reformed 2006
Campbell Town Robins - 1886
Sheffield Robins - 1910
Ringarooma Robins - 1911
Wilmot Robins - 1896
DOSA Roosters - 1976
St Virgil's Saints - 1927
George Town Saints - 1927
St Patricks Saints - 1937
Latrobe Saints - 1987, prev known as Mersey Valley Saints
Bridport Seagulls - circa 1934
Hillwood Sharks - 1927, into recess 1970-79, reformed 1980
OHA Ships - 1919
Swansea Swans - 1891
St Helens Swans - circa 1910
Old Scotch Collegians Thistles - 1935
Rocherlea Tigers - 1951
Railton Tigers - 1891
St Marys Tigers - 1890
Branxholm Wanderers - 1910

Old Launcestonians - Blues/est. 1931
Turners Beach - Seagulls/1971
East Ulverstone - Crows/2000
West Ulverstone - Lions/1922
Mole Creek - Bulldogs/1920
Forth - Magpies/1904
Motton Preston - Demons/1918 (merged with Nth Motton, Motton Rovers Preston in 1967)
Scotchtown - Tigers/1950
Irishtown - Canaries/1896
Evandale - were the Eels/1901, now the Eagles
Fingal Valley - Kangaroos/1884, went into recess 1996, reformed 1997-2000, reformed again in 2002
Bracknell - Redlegs/1920

Hey Kingpin

Have you had a perfect 300 yet ???
Are you going to support Hobart this year or continue to boycott the club. You could always go and support St Virgils.

Hey Kingpin

Have you had a perfect 300 yet ???
Are you going to support Hobart this year or continue to boycott the club. You could always go and support St Virgils.

Gday Bakes good to see ya about! How's yourself? :cool:
Yeah had a 300 nearly 5 years back, chucked 299 two and a half years ago, but nothing post injury comeback.
No mate, I won't be going back to Hobart until they 1) get rid of Phillip Baker & John Lemm 2) resume wearing Black & Gold and 3) show they are genuinely interested in not only maintaining their tradition but being proud of it and using it as a stepping stone to move forward with it.
Nothing I've neither seen nor heard from the club so far suggests this, so I'll be once again staying away.
Oh, and put Lamprill as General Manager of the club, do away with the Presidency!

Gday Bakes good to see ya about! How's yourself? :cool:
Yeah had a 300 nearly 5 years back, chucked 299 two and a half years ago, but nothing post injury comeback.
No mate, I won't be going back to Hobart until they 1) get rid of Phillip Baker & John Lemm 2) resume wearing Black & Gold and 3) show they are genuinely interested in not only maintaining their tradition but being proud of it and using it as a stepping stone to move forward with it.
Nothing I've neither seen nor heard from the club so far suggests this, so I'll be once again staying away.
Oh, and put Lamprill as General Manager of the club, do away with the Presidency!

Agree with Lamprill, he is the best thing that has happened to the club in years. His brother should be up there playing as well.

So it would be a no go for the old St Virgils then rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back