Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingpin,

Have you read "football the country way" series one and two?
written by Brian Anderton of Triabunna, it contains a whole heap of information relevant to your enquiries, esp with the country and extinct footy clubs.

I think them losing O'Reilly will hurt a lot more than losing Zac. He has a big heart, but his skills are very average.

Can anyone confirm that Jeremy Parker is senior coach at Virgils this year? Was he assistant last year or was that his brother, only got a handful of games out of them didn't they?

While the younger hooker gets a game there, they'll never do any good, I thought his brother was the softest footballer I'd played against, until I played against Joe.

So it would be a no go for the old St Virgils then rat.
I would only follow one club mate, couldn't follow anyone else that wasn't called Hobart, wearing black & gold and called Tigers, I'm afraid ;)
Yeah an ex-student, 15 years ago, I take it you saw that hilarious pic of me tipping the scales at around 104kgs back then LOL - geez times have changed - less than 70 these days hehe.

Cadoras said:
Kingpin,

Have you read "football the country way" series one and two?
written by Brian Anderton of Triabunna, it contains a whole heap of information relevant to your enquiries, esp with the country and extinct footy clubs.
No I haven't read those books yet Cadoras, I might have a peep through the Library for it though.
Brian Anderton wrote another good book called Football - The People's Game which I've got sitting here, it's a very interesting read.
Brian is a former Hobart Tiger man and good mate of Ray Hill's a great hive of info and a great footy man by all reports.

Agree with Lamprill, he is the best thing that has happened to the club in years.
Just to answer that more thoroughly, if it weren't for Lamper putting his hand up to coach the club for virtually peanuts, that club would be gone without a shadow of a doubt by now.
In his short time with them, he's managed to keep out of what is a very, very nasty debate on the colour issue, which still festers even now.
He's managed to negotiate the recruitment of players and key coaching staff at the club, managed to deal with potential sponsors and get them on board and has been able to unite the player list as well as get some past players from his era back to the club to help out.

Just think, it's a matter of concern that in his short time, he's been able to achieve more than entire board/s and three presidents have been able to achieve in nearly 9 years - no mean feat at all and a great indictment on those charged with running the club for several years who sat on their hands and did nothing.
The thing that used to really give me the sh|ts was, that they blamed not having an emblem for their financial woes and not being able to attract sponsors, when we all knew full well the exact reason why they couldn't get them in the first place was because:

• They were too lazy to look around and find them.
• When they had dealings with potential sponsors who approached them they were rude and surly towards them and they (the sponsors) decided to pull the pin.
• Instantly canned any idea that anyone else came up with as a potential sponsor because
a) they didn't come up with the idea first
b) thought it would be too hard to negotiate
c) instantaneous mindset of thinking any sponsorship was 'pie in the sky' and 'we wouldn't get it anyway'.

Kingborough and North Hobart had two major sponsors that Hobart had previously improperly dealt with and lost out on major sponsorships with.

I get very, very annoyed when they tow this copout line on changing emblems and jumpers and colours in order to obtain sponsorship, because Hobart had plenty of opportunities back in 2000/2001 when they had no 'emblem' as such and were wearing that hybrid jumper to gain at least six good sponsors, but botched all of them.

Instead, running a little in-club competition to win a draw to get one's business name on the jumper, whilst not paying anything to get that name on the jumper - crazy!
If it weren't for the continued valued donations of Graeme & Carol Sice kicking in almost $25k over a period of four or five years, and having the Ye Olde Commodore Inn to continuosly strip money from, they would've fallen over in the late 90's.
If they had their proper colours back, and continued on with Lamprill's great work, they would be thriving on and off the ground as a club in my opinion.
Like I said before, I would get Lamprill as General Manager of the club - like a Shayne Stevenson at Glenorchy type role - because he has the contacts and the personal skills to deal with that position, unlike the rude, ineffective, arrogant and ego-driven amateur-hack role that the club presidency has evolved into.
Club presidency there should purely be a ceremonial role only, as it is an outdated and ineffectual position currently.
You cannot have a board of six or seven people and only TWO having all the say on what goes on - that's a joke and a total disgrace - and even deliberately misinforming certain board members of when meetings are on so as to keep them from having any input on decisions (that is fact - I know two board members that that has happened too) because they may not agree with the 'big two'.
It's not on!

I can see fully why Lamprill has taken it upon himself to run the club ;)

Wonder if this news report and court ruling will change anything. Might make councils distance themselves from ground ownership or make them take out more insurance which will be then passed on to clubs. Hope the ruling doesn't start a trend.

http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/...lass=general&story_id=554117&category=general

That's an interesting one, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken a ground authority to task over something like that previously.
Many, many years ago, I knew a bloke who played Under 19's for Hobart in the 1970's, who did his knee in a similar fashion to the player mentioned there, by sliding into a protruding sprinkler cap on the TCA Ground in 1976 and doing permanant damage to his knee and never played footy again.
This guy was in his 30's when I knew him, and his knee was dreadful, it really stuffed him up bigtime.
Then there was the 1990 case of a Clarence player (whose name escapes me for the moment - Sean Williams I think) who was slung onto the bike track in a tackle against the Burnie Hawks at West Park in Round 1 and displaced his knee cap and was out of action for a very long time afterwards and I don't think played much senior football again after that.

Just to answer that more thoroughly, if it weren't for Lamper putting his hand up to coach the club for virtually peanuts, that club would be gone without a shadow of a doubt by now.
In his short time with them, he's managed to keep out of what is a very, very nasty debate on the colour issue, which still festers even now.
He's managed to negotiate the recruitment of players and key coaching staff at the club, managed to deal with potential sponsors and get them on board and has been able to unite the player list as well as get some past players from his era back to the club to help out.

Just think, it's a matter of concern that in his short time, he's been able to achieve more than entire board/s and three presidents have been able to achieve in nearly 9 years - no mean feat at all and a great indictment on those charged with running the club for several years who sat on their hands and did nothing.
The thing that used to really give me the sh|ts was, that they blamed not having an emblem for their financial woes and not being able to attract sponsors, when we all knew full well the exact reason why they couldn't get them in the first place was because:

• They were too lazy to look around and find them.
• When they had dealings with potential sponsors who approached them they were rude and surly towards them and they (the sponsors) decided to pull the pin.
• Instantly canned any idea that anyone else came up with as a potential sponsor because
a) they didn't come up with the idea first
b) thought it would be too hard to negotiate
c) instantaneous mindset of thinking any sponsorship was 'pie in the sky' and 'we wouldn't get it anyway'.

Kingborough and North Hobart had two major sponsors that Hobart had previously improperly dealt with and lost out on major sponsorships with.

I get very, very annoyed when they tow this copout line on changing emblems and jumpers and colours in order to obtain sponsorship, because Hobart had plenty of opportunities back in 2000/2001 when they had no 'emblem' as such and were wearing that hybrid jumper to gain at least six good sponsors, but botched all of them.

Instead, running a little in-club competition to win a draw to get one's business name on the jumper, whilst not paying anything to get that name on the jumper - crazy!
If it weren't for the continued valued donations of Graeme & Carol Sice kicking in almost $25k over a period of four or five years, and having the Ye Olde Commodore Inn to continuosly strip money from, they would've fallen over in the late 90's.
If they had their proper colours back, and continued on with Lamprill's great work, they would be thriving on and off the ground as a club in my opinion.
Like I said before, I would get Lamprill as General Manager of the club - like a Shayne Stevenson at Glenorchy type role - because he has the contacts and the personal skills to deal with that position, unlike the rude, ineffective, arrogant and ego-driven amateur-hack role that the club presidency has evolved into.
Club presidency there should purely be a ceremonial role only, as it is an outdated and ineffectual position currently.
You cannot have a board of six or seven people and only TWO having all the say on what goes on - that's a joke and a total disgrace - and even deliberately misinforming certain board members of when meetings are on so as to keep them from having any input on decisions (that is fact - I know two board members that that has happened too) because they may not agree with the 'big two'.
It's not on!

I can see fully why Lamprill has taken it upon himself to run the club ;)

kingpin i have loved reading your posts on this site and keeping it interesting well done. My only concern is that you say you support a club but you allways seem to bag them out.
Have you ever thought of getting involved and fighting for what you want at the club? Or is it an issue that is in the past now? It seem s like you could be a good person on Hobarts board! why dont you have a crack at it insted of sitting back and watching what you want dissapear

That's an interesting one, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken a ground authority to task over something like that previously.
Many, many years ago, I knew a bloke who played Under 19's for Hobart in the 1970's, who did his knee in a similar fashion to the player mentioned there, by sliding into a protruding sprinkler cap on the TCA Ground in 1976 and doing permanant damage to his knee and never played footy again.
This guy was in his 30's when I knew him, and his knee was dreadful, it really stuffed him up bigtime.

TCA is one of the worst grounds to play football on in southern TAs IMO.

kingpin i have loved reading your posts on this site and keeping it interesting well done.
Cheers :cool:
Sticky tape said:
My only concern is that you say you support a club but you allways seem to bag them out.
I supported Hobart until they pushed the Lions on everyone.
I kept my head down, bum up and worked for the club for many years doing different jobs, but eventually I snapped and really had my say.
Couldn't bite my tongue any longer :p
Sticky tape said:
Have you ever thought of getting involved and fighting for what you want at the club? Or is it an issue that is in the past now?
I have, but at the same time, I'm living much more stress-free being away from some of the 'stupidity' I used see there, as well as a lot of the pompous people that have gotten involved in the club post-TFL.
I still see quite a few that are still involved with the club, and I must admit, some of the things I hear, I just have a quiet chuckle to myself and move on.
I have a pretty hurricane-like temper, and I figure by being there, would be a bit of a health hazard, and dealing with some of them wouldn't be good for the health.
Truth is, there aren't enough around that still want to follow Hobart that share my way of thinking, they've found other paths.
If there were a lot of the people from our TFL days still involved at the club, I would be there now.
I have hankerings at times to want put the Black & Golds on and go and watch a Tigers match, but Hobart as the Lions means nothing to me.

Sticky tape said:
It seems like you could be a good person on Hobarts board! why dont you have a crack at it insted of sitting back and watching what you want dissapear
My personal opinion is that, I don't have the business nous or the proper contacts to be a board member as such.
And to be truthful, meeting bore me to sleep :eek:
I'd much rather being be doing hands on type stuff around the club, I've always been like that.
And to tell ya the truth Sticky, if I had to deal with that board as it currently stands, I'd be in Risdon in pretty quick time.
It's not just the colours, or the jumper or emblem that keeps me away, moreso, it's the current attitude.
An outsider could take two paths, he could walk into the Hobart Football Club of 1997 or he could walk into the same club in 2006 - the '97 version was losing every game but had an awesome spirit, togetherness and you genuinely wanted to be there, the '06 version was reasonably successful on the ground but seemed soulless, dull, lacked character and they have no-one there.
It just isn't the same club anymore.

While on the subjct of white line fever, we can't leave out Dale Wish-Wilson, ex Burnie Hawks/Dockers hardman/nut case. I was at York park one day when he jumped the fence and chased a group of supporters who had been heckling him. Usually that would have been suicide with the roup of supporters who frequented the hill in front of the old north change rooms as there were plenty of blokes who liked a scuffle there but they all took off!

speaking of Whish, is he Kent Jackson's replacement at Wynyard this year?

Yep, with big dome in the middle and sloped wings!
I've never particularly been a great fan of it either to you the truth.
I always reckon that if football gets stronger in Hobart again, the club should play all its home games at North Hobart, move it's headquarters into the Doug Plaister Stand and use its facilities there and upgrade signage.
Use the TCA as a training facility only.
Broker more strongly (be strong about it) with North Hobart and the League that North keeps it's bar shut, and Hobart runs and profits from the shops on Hobart matchdays - this was part of the reason why Hobart ended up broke in the first place, North Hobart used to make more money from Hobart's home games than what Hobart ever did in the Statewide League days.
The TCA is a horrible ground to watch footy at, and has traditionally been a great difficulty for Hobart in attracting crowds because of its public perception - 'windy', 'freezing', 'always muddy'.
This was one of the reasons why the TANFL relocated them off the TCA at the end of 1982, because they were struggling for crowds, often struggling to drag in around 1100 to a game up there, many of them less a thousand.
Hobart has traditionally drawn more at North Hobart, but the other factor to consider in with that is that North Hobart Oval also had its 'own' fans back then too.
They would be neutral supporters who would attend North Hobart each week no matter who was playing to watch the big matches.
They were just sent to the wrong ground for four years.

One other thing kingpin have you ever had a chat to a loyal Sandy bay fan and see what there thoughts on the matter are. Im sure if sandy bay changed there colors but were still in the comp they would feel much better than having nothing. Its not so bad to have a club survive by a simple change of colors.
Honestly i think you should get back and support the club after all its not the board or the players who you follow its the kids running around working there arse of for the Hobart Footy club.

One other thing kingpin have you ever had a chat to a loyal Sandy bay fan and see what there thoughts on the matter are. Im sure if sandy bay changed there colors but were still in the comp they would feel much better than having nothing. Its not so bad to have a club survive by a simple change of colors.
Honestly i think you should get back and support the club after all its not the board or the players who you follow its the kids running around working there arse of for the Hobart Footy club.

That's a matter of conjecture in some ways.
I knew people who supported the Bay - and then supported Sandy Bay II (Southern Cats) who felt it wasn't the same to them and they drifted away slowly but surely - this is in part why they fell over in '99.
(And the fact that they paid out big Billy in full what he was owed).

I knew people from Glenorchy who were the same when they were the Storm, New Norfolk when they were the Hawks, North Hobart when they were running about in the Barbeques Galore jumper, Kermandie when they went from Robins to Bushrangers then to Kangaroos - the jumper and colours do have a great deal of meaning to a lot of people, and to dismiss that is frought with danger.
Yes, there are a lot of good kids working their arse off for the club at Colts level and below, and I agree with that, and my issue's never been with the kids at all, I still talk to quite a few of them and indeed offered the coach (Edgie) my help at anytime if needed when he was here a couple of months ago in away from ground capacity.
He understands my views on the matter perfectly in regard to my non-attendance - but put it this way Sticky Tape, I'm only a hop, skip and a jump away if I'm really needed.
I may even purchase a membership this year just to support 'the kids' - but no I won't be attending matches - I'm steadfast on that one. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs that are incorporated bodys are not allowed to change their identity under the legislation.
Incorporation-The process of creating a separate legal entity for a football club,there by giving it a legal existence.
Constitution - a document that identifies the rights and liabilities of members within a football club. it also establishes the club and sets out the purpose for which it has come together and all the rules under which it will operate.
:eek:

What would you know I bet you never even played a game of senior football on it...

I played 293 games of senior football in the TFL/STFL and I found the Tacca probably one of the best fields in the state to play on.. Sure it got cold, but it was rarely dangerous.

Especially after the council reno's in the 90s. Really fixed it up then!

What would you know I bet you never even played a game of senior football on it...

I played 293 games of senior football in the TFL/STFL and I found the Tacca probably one of the best fields in the state to play on.. Sure it got cold, but it was rarely dangerous.

Believe what you want, and you're entitled to your opinion, but I have played senior football on the TCA, and I don't rate it one bit.

I dunno about the players' perspective, but the ground can be absolutely atrocious for spectators

Can anyone confirm that Jeremy Parker is senior coach at Virgils this year? Was he assistant last year or was that his brother, only got a handful of games out of them didn't they?

Yes Jeremy Parker is the senior coach at St Virgils this year.

i've just been reading the last few pages of this thread... damn footy in the south sounds like its gone to the dogs! can anyone give me approximate crowd figures?

i know up here the average would probably be about 7-800... with lows of around 300 and highs of around 1500.

and what shape are all the clubs in these days financially? cos again, up here most clubs seem to be doing ok financially- well, they're stable at least, and not in debt.

finally- how about player numbers? cos this seems to be the only major issue up here this season- is all clubs having enough players to fill their sides...

i've just been reading the last few pages of this thread... damn footy in the south sounds like its gone to the dogs! can anyone give me approximate crowd figures?

i know up here the average would probably be about 7-800... with lows of around 300 and highs of around 1500.

and what shape are all the clubs in these days financially? cos again, up here most clubs seem to be doing ok financially- well, they're stable at least, and not in debt.

finally- how about player numbers? cos this seems to be the only major issue up here this season- is all clubs having enough players to fill their sides...

I'll be fairly blunt and say that football in Southern Tas is at the "nail in the coffin" stage. You'd be lucky to get 300 to a game, crowds of 1000+ occur mostly in finals.

Financially - Some are fairly solid (Glenorchy, North Hobart to name two); others are at the dogs (Hobart is a fair example)

Numbers - Probably need to ask some of those who are close to the clubs

Football in the south is not healthy.
AFL Tasmania have no rules or regulations that i can find.
can anybody find on their web site NO.
There is confusion on who governs what.
somewhat of a shambles.
:eek:

I actually think the who governs what part of the sport in the South is very well structured, provided that AFL Southern Tas hasn't been totally overhauled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back