Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I've noticed there aren't too many northerners on the Tassie football thread.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about Nic D'emden and Matthew Harvey who have both joined us at Old Scotch F.C.? Both are great fellas and have fitted in well.

Also, check out our website at www.oscfc.com

The Thistle

I am a big recruit for the Old Scotch 2's this year. Gonna be the first time I've played since the 1997 Under 15's STJFL Grand Final when Lauderdale got done by Glenorchy.

Hobart play Longford at Longford tommorow! Apparently a Sam who kicked 60 odd goals for Longford last year is down in Hobart for work indefinatly and has been training with Hobart? Anyone have any info on this kid. Also is an strong stance, Hobart are set to legally challenge the SFL on it granting Nth Hobart permission to wear its original playing strip and disallowing Hobart sice their SFL inception..... The word is they may have to see another year out in the Lions colours but changes are on the horizon. This can only be good for footy.

Hobart play Longford at Longford tommorow! Apparently a Sam who kicked 60 odd goals for Longford last year is down in Hobart for work indefinatly and has been training with Hobart? Anyone have any info on this kid. Also is an strong stance, Hobart are set to legally challenge the SFL on it granting Nth Hobart permission to wear its original playing strip and disallowing Hobart sice their SFL inception..... The word is they may have to see another year out in the Lions colours but changes are on the horizon. This can only be good for footy.

I reckon It'd be Sam Gowans, but it may well be Sam Graham. Both very handy. Probably both the sort of players that will rise to the level.

I reckon It'd be Sam Gowans, but it may well be Sam Graham. Both very handy. Probably both the sort of players that will rise to the level.

Yeh Sam Gowans it is and played against them in the praccy match today. Hobart got up by about 6 or 7 goals in a rather uninticing match. Only 15 min quarters and alot of players struglled to get into the game. Its a nice oval up there tho with very good social rooms as well.

Also is an strong stance, Hobart are set to legally challenge the SFL on it granting Nth Hobart permission to wear its original playing strip and disallowing Hobart sice their SFL inception..... The word is they may have to see another year out in the Lions colours but changes are on the horizon. This can only be good for footy.
It's seriously wrong that one club is granted that priviledge and another is not under the exact same circumstance in the same league.
But that's the way it's always been forever, North Hobart exist on a different set of rules to everyone else.
It was like that in the Statewide League and was like that back in the TANFL, and if you ask plenty of old-timers they'll tell you it was like that in the old League as well - and is partly the reason why they've been able to stay stronger than Hobart and were able to see off Sandy Bay.
However, as good as this sounds, I'm still cautious as to the motives - after being in a meeting with Phil Baker in 2003 where this very subject was raised.
Also listening to dialogue from a lot of people within the club since the adoption of the Lions, it seems like a massive turnaround in their thought process.
I would hope it to be more substantial than just a blatant membership grab like what happened in 2003 when they made a similar announcement and membership jumped 45% (according to Phil Baker) but were eventually found out to be less than thruthful about the whole episode and lost 165 members the following season after they got found out.

If they are serious about making a stand then I wish them all the very best of luck, and I'm very pleased to see it happen.
It should happen too, why the hell one club is forced to deny its history while the others aren't is an absolute disgrace.
They've got to to do something to bridge the gap in the club, as it currently stands it won't go anywhere.
Good luck to Hobart :thumbsu:

Yeh Sam Gowans it is and played against them in the praccy match today. Hobart got up by about 6 or 7 goals in a rather uninticing match. Only 15 min quarters and alot of players struglled to get into the game. Its a nice oval up there tho with very good social rooms as well.
Beautiful ground up there isn't Ev? :thumbsu:
Certainly wouldn't look out of place in top level footy in Tassie.

Heres one for Evvo. Dingo better than good chance to line up with Lauderdale this year. Not happy with some issuses at the club apparently. Great mates or not at the club he could be moving very soon so dont be shocked.

Heres one for Evvo. Dingo better than good chance to line up with Lauderdale this year. Not happy with some issuses at the club apparently. Great mates or not at the club he could be moving very soon so dont be shocked.

These rumours hav been flying around for 6 months but we all know its total garbage. At the end of the day he plays footy for the love and enjoyment of it and im sure he wouldnt get that at laurdedale but he would get coin.... We hav a culture at Hobart and hav for as long as ive been there that if ppl wanna leave then let them, because if u hav ppl in ur side who dont wanna be there then regardless of ability they bring the whole side down. He played yesterday in the praccy match and id bet my house he plays there all year. However if he wants to go, let him and the same feeling is for everyone in the side.

To Evvo can you please make sure the house is clean and tidy before you give it to me,only joking but the issuse will be known for sure in the next couple of weeks. The club does have isues with trying to chase high profile players which it never seems to get and not looking after its own loyal players. So please if Dingo does leave everybody up there should ask why and who is to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel played Richmond today in a practice game at Snug Park with Richmond running out winners by about six goals, should have been more if they hadnt missed so many set shots.
There was meant to be three umpires lined up for this game but they rang up at 4pm Friday and said they would be unavailable..........nice for the short notice. Lucky there was a single field ump, 1 and a half boundary ump (the half was an ancient elderly citizen who turned up after half time) for the game.
Word has it that there is a "Elite" squad of umpires training together for the Premier Leagues and the lefotver scraps (little boys and cataract/athritic affected geriatrics) for the Regional leagues but this is only word of mouth stuff so cant vouch for the authenticity of this.

Any other practise games going on around town?

Heard Lauderdale and Glenorchy had one, and I think Triabunna took on the might of OHA...

ANyone know whats been happening in this games?

OHA beat Triabunna by about 10 goals.

This is sad..
For a team in supposedly the second best league in the south to not be able to finish off a team like OHA, a bunch of overweight, beer swilling, amateurs, is a real shame.

Good on OHA, but for god's sake... Of football is in this sad state, then there isn't much point turning up anymore..

This is sad..
For a team in supposedly the second best league in the south to not be able to finish off a team like OHA, a bunch of overweight, beer swilling, amateurs, is a real shame.

Good on OHA, but for god's sake... Of football is in this sad state, then there isn't much point turning up anymore..

Got something against overweight, beer swilling amateurs mate? :p

Got something against overweight, beer swilling amateurs mate? :p

Not exactly.. But my last job as a journalist in Alice Springs, I had to cover this sort of thing all the time, and it was so frustrating to see such a demise in standard when I came back to Tasmania last year.

It just gets to me.

To Evvo can you please make sure the house is clean and tidy before you give it to me,only joking but the issuse will be known for sure in the next couple of weeks. The club does have isues with trying to chase high profile players which it never seems to get and not looking after its own loyal players. So please if Dingo does leave everybody up there should ask why and who is to blame.

Mate honestly the pay for footballers in the south isnt real flash but the reality is there isnt many down here playing for that. Hobart is no different but sometimes things hav to be sacrificed a little to achieve team success.... Maybe this is the issue?? I would happily run around all year without getting a single cent and 90% of the club is in the same boat!

Mate honestly the pay for footballers in the south isnt real flash but the reality is there isnt many down here playing for that. Hobart is no different but sometimes things hav to be sacrificed a little to achieve team success.... Maybe this is the issue?? I would happily run around all year without getting a single cent and 90% of the club is in the same boat!

Hobart's 1999 premiership team were allegedly on $70 a game flat rate - everybody - under Gillbee.
Worked very well :thumbsu:

Channel played Richmond today in a practice game at Snug Park with Richmond running out winners by about six goals, should have been more if they hadnt missed so many set shots.
There was meant to be three umpires lined up for this game but they rang up at 4pm Friday and said they would be unavailable..........nice for the short notice. Lucky there was a single field ump, 1 and a half boundary ump (the half was an ancient elderly citizen who turned up after half time) for the game.
Word has it that there is a "Elite" squad of umpires training together for the Premier Leagues and the lefotver scraps (little boys and cataract/athritic affected geriatrics) for the Regional leagues but this is only word of mouth stuff so cant vouch for the authenticity of this.

You mustn't have been watching very closely Cadoras, Richmond won by about 3 goals after we put all our 2's players on to give them a run. Also, we kicked a lot more points than them, we kicked about 7 in the first quarter alone... Also, there were 2 decent boundary umpires, pity about the field umpire, although i suppose it is their pre-season too... We played poorly, nowhere near the standard we are capable of...

Just a thought Re: New Norfolk this coming season:

With the loss of Salter (Brighton), Michael Thompson (Redlands, Qld) Burdon (Central Hawks) and Matthew Smith apparently out for the first half of the year, where are their goals going to come from?

For mine, puts alot of pressure on Justin Rainbird and Jon Bowring if the rumours of his recruitment on here months ago are true.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

This is sad..

You obviously have no idea about the standard of the Old Scholars. Without a shadow of any doubt the top Old Scholar teams would be more than a match for the Regional League clubs.

For OHA to beat Triabunna and Richmond to beat Channel (OHA finished 4th last year and Richmond missed the finals) is no real surprise. And I believe that DOSA has given a couple of Regional teams a touch up too (Barge?).

OHA were only overweight when Gracie18 was in full flight. :D

Just a thought Re: New Norfolk this coming season:

With the loss of Salter (Brighton), Michael Thompson (Redlands, Qld) Burdon (Central Hawks) and Matthew Smith apparently out for the first half of the year, where are their goals going to come from?

For mine, puts alot of pressure on Justin Rainbird and Jon Bowring if the rumours of his recruitment on here months ago are true.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Spot on Barge, will be interesting. Surely Bowring will come in for some attention too given that it is the fourth club he has played for in the Premier League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back