Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Roorat, you are too kind!

Although, given I was a Glenorchy boy before I was a Claremont boy I must say my main focus going into the day was the Premier League! :p

Just heard half time score. Qld 8.2 (50) to Tas 6.9 (45)
Onya Wilbs :thumbsu:
Apparently only two of those nine behinds have been rushed, Tassie getting plenty of ball into the forward line just not kicking too well.
Bartlett was playing up forward, took one screamer.
Should be a good second half!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final Score:
Queensland 13.6 (84) - Tasmania 10.15 (75)

Former Ulverstone and Devil Abey booted 5 for the Maroons.
Commentator saying many of Tasmania's 'name' players have been poor.
Bartlett was poor, Atkin quiet, Thurley unsighted mostly to name a few.
Also commentator states "feeling very cold with the state of the game in Tasmania" with the disappointingly poor turnout for a state versus state game on a gala day which had been pumped up for a long time.

Do you think the poor crowd is a result of Launceston being exposed to regular AFL games and therefore not really being that interested in what would be a lower standard of footy? Wonder what sort of crowd they would of got down here?

Do you think the poor crowd is a result of Launceston being exposed to regular AFL games and therefore not really being that interested in what would be a lower standard of footy? Wonder what sort of crowd they would of got down here?

That's what I was thinking too, the last time it was held at North Hobart was about 3 years back and there were just under 1600 for a regular SFL v NTFL rep game in the three games, that was when the North walloped them.
Tonight's game, even with all the fixtures leading into it couldn't draw much more than 1000, so it's pretty disappointing.
I was actually a little surprised that it wasn't held in Hobart owing to Launceston getting all the AFL action, but then again with all the fixtures on the same ground in the one day, a ground with decent lighting would've been needed - with all the doggy-walking NIMBY's we have down this way however.....

I would probably have gone to today's games if it was held in the South,

Wasn't worth the drive up North to see the games - if you take into account the cost of petrol these days, food and the all important "golden nectar" (which you couldn't drink too much if you had to drive all the way back to Hobart, unless you had some poor bastard driving you back).

Maybe Barge will volunteer next year to drive a few of us up? we can always feed him a couple of pluto pups as payment:D

Kingpin - Do you know who got best players for the Regional team?

I would probably have gone to today's games if it was held in the South,

Wasn't worth the drive up North to see the games - if you take into account the cost of petrol these days, food and the all important "golden nectar" (which you couldn't drink too much if you had to drive all the way back to Hobart, unless you had some poor bastard driving you back).

Maybe Barge will volunteer next year to drive a few of us up? we can always feed him a couple of pluto pups as payment:D

Kingpin - Do you know who got best players for the Regional team?
Hopefully this will be an annual event now and will be held alternately between North and South. Maybe the two games would have been enough, makes for a long day at the footy, especially after about 4 when the temperature drops.

Anyone know what the commentators were talking about when they commented about players who shouldn't really have been playing with the Premier league team?

Barge, NTFA team enjoyed a few drinks from the Barge-Roorat Cup and wanted to pass on their thanks.

That's what I was thinking too, the last time it was held at North Hobart was about 3 years back and there were just under 1600 for a regular SFL v NTFL rep game in the three games, that was when the North walloped them.
Tonight's game, even with all the fixtures leading into it couldn't draw much more than 1000, so it's pretty disappointing.
I was actually a little surprised that it wasn't held in Hobart owing to Launceston getting all the AFL action, but then again with all the fixtures on the same ground in the one day, a ground with decent lighting would've been needed - with all the doggy-walking NIMBY's we have down this way however.....

I read local officials were expecting a crowd of around 5000 for the game.

You have always been a Claremont boy....who do you think you are kidding? :D

Oh Wilbur, how can you say that with memories of 1983 fresh in your mind?!

It was the way my trade to Claremont Under 10's in 1986 was handled that left a sour taste in my mouth.

I only found out about it when Peter Sharp rang me and asked me to appear on World of Sport along side Garry Davidson, Cabbage Riewoldt, Michael Eiszele and Darryl Sutton.

I remember prior to my first clash with Glenorchy, the hype in the Saturday Evening Mercury at the time bordered on Akermanis-like proportions!

Not much to do tonight, Kingpin?!

However, I must say well done for your updates, as chances are none of us would have been any the wiser till reading the paper tomorrow morning, which incidentally should be quite the read!

Roorat, I'm glad to hear that my name on the Cup has made the win all the more meaningful. Congratualtions to them.

Mind you, with a half decent squad selected next year we may be half a show?

Seriously, how can there be a squad of 53 yet there's players playing on the day from outside the squad. More on that later.

Was that Jesse O'Neal the "O'Neill" named?

How any games has he played I ask? Two?

They mentioned on the radio this arvo that Burril from the Hawks got best player for the Regional League.

Were you involved as an official at all, Oz?

Major Goalkickers Tubb 3, McLeod 2.

I think next year Cadoras and I need to address the Regional Boys on what it means to wear the ...... whatever coloured guernseys it is they wore.

However, as Oz and Setlikejelly can attest, Cadoras' words may be a bit hard to decipher if he has been on the "golden nectar!"

Sam did indeed win the BOG for the Regional.

I wasn't involved in any way shape or form. In fact I decided not to even attend in the end.

From the AFL Queensland website:

FULLTIME:

Queensland 13.7 (85) Tasmania 10.14 (74)

Goals, Qld: Abey 5, Lucy 2, Shattock 2, J Wilson, Watts, Wise, Clarke.

Tas: Derbyshire 2, Hall 2, Street, B Geappen, Ryan, Wager, Whish-Wilson, Gilmour.

Best, Qld: Abey, Lillico, Shattock, Poyton, Tarrant, Morrison.

Best, Tas: Hall, Setchell, B Geappen, Brown, O'Donhoue, Whish-Wilson.

Crowd: 3285

I only found out about it when Peter Sharp rang me and asked me to appear on World of Sport along side Garry Davidson, Cabbage Riewoldt, Michael Eiszele and Darryl Sutton.

I remember prior to my first clash with Glenorchy, the hype in the Saturday Evening Mercury at the time bordered on Akermanis-like proportions!
ROFL Jesus there's a few memories right there! :p
Sharpie, Mel Arnold, Mal Sutton, Bob Cheek and the World Of Sport crew, shows how old we are when we can remember the SEM, back in the days when there were no Sunday papers :eek:

Barge said:
Not much to do tonight, Kingpin?!
Nah mate gotta work early Sunday morning :thumbsdown:

Barge said:
However, I must say well done for your updates, as chances are none of us would have been any the wiser till reading the paper tomorrow morning, which incidentally should be quite the read!
No wuckers :thumbsu:
Actually, I was a bit surprised at how poor the media coverage of the match was on the day, even the Devils get more updates than what was put out today.
But then again, even the good ol' ABC aint local anymore.
roorat said:
Crowd: 3285? maybe they were counting heads!
Cheers *Koulagirl for that link, 3285 hey?
Hmmmmm, I harking back to that old ABC show from the 80's again, Rubbery Figures? :confused:
morphous said:
I read local officials were expecting a crowd of around 5000 for the game.
Yes AFL Tasmania were expecting 5k, would've been good to get that many, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised they didn't get that many.
They interviewed some former VFL/AFL player from the North on WIN news tonight who expressed massive concern at the state of the game here, he viewed these matches as an important stepping stone to trying to resurrect the game in the state, even 3000-odd is a poor turnout though really and maybe we've gone past the point of no return in many respects.

Gala Day

NTFA 17.15.117
SFL Regional 8.11.59

SFL 13.13.91
NTFL 10.8.68

NTFL Under 19's 20.21.141
Tas Under 16's 3.3.21

Qld 13.7.85
Tas 10.14.74

NTFA Div 2
Uni-Mowbray 16.6.102
Old Scotch 8.14.62