Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say they would be pretty well on the money. I would be almost certain that Cat Geappen will coach North and Brittain at NN. Then at Clarence there is a few that could be in the mix there. Setchell, Cooney, Armstrong, Reid but would be putting my money on the one of the first two. DeGoyer, Grant Fagan have been mooted for Brighton, possibly Bolton out there too. Matty Smith has been mentioned for Cygnet or Leven in country NSW.

Realistically you hear alot of rumours but i wouldnt toss them up if there wasnt some connection or contact between prospective coach and club.
some great work there mate.very interesting reading, feel free to keep us updated.

Matthew Smith is staying at New Norfolk. Barwick and Co from Brighton are planning to return there, while Thompson is coming back from Qld.

Some of the worst kept secrets confirmed in the papers this morning...

SFL - Channel looking to move from the SFL Regional to the Old Scholars for next season. Preliminary discussions taking place...

NTFL - Dale Perry has resigned from Devonport...

I heard a rumour that the SFL is considering flying umpires in from the Diamond Valley League on a weekly basis for the games of the round in Premier League in 2008.

I heard a rumour that the SFL is considering flying umpires in from the Diamond Valley League on a weekly basis for the games of the round in Premier League in 2008.

Would be too costly an exercise...

But just to break it down...
Flights would be upwards of $250 return from Melbourne, considering you would book them last minute
Accommodation is about $60-$120 per night for reasonable standard accom...so they stay say for 2 nights...
They'd probably pay more for umpiring the matches on the day...probably say around $150-$200 (considering these are interstate umpires)
And also any travel expenses like say Rent-a-Cars etc would be pushing anywhere between $50-$150 per weekend.

If the SFL were to do it, they would be looking at a cost of anywhere between $500-$850 per umpire, and that's a reasonably conservative estimate...

Saw a 3 page letter from solicitors acting on behalf of Channel football club that was sent to each Old Scholars club with a proposal to join our league.

We at OHA had a good chat about the issue at our last committee meeting.

There you go Gracie18 - its official now, wonder if the reporter (Smith) first found out about it on the forum and made some enquiries.

Sportstalk. Review your umpire costs -

Tigerairlines = Return ticket to Melb from Laun $30. $70 petrol from Launceston to Hobart and return in an AFL Tas official car. Return home the same day - no accommodation.

Tigerairlines = Return ticket to Melb from Laun $30. $70 petrol from Launceston to Hobart and return in an AFL Tas official car. Return home the same day - no accommodation.
IF the $30 flightts were available at booking time, would umpires come at that? Plus Tiger only have one flight a day scheduled at the moment; which unlikely to increase for winter; and the flights both ways are of a night.
So, taking Tiger would mean flying down on Friday night (for a Saturday game). Therefore Deathstar or Virgin Saturday morning into Hobart - cutting travel time considerably would be needed to get rid of accommodation costs. Its still a huge ask of an umpire.

Anywhere from half an hour or to 90 minutes to Tullamarine, depending where the umpire lives, a while hanging around for the flight, an hour on the plane, 1/2 hour from Hobart airport to the game, and then the same in reverse after the game - except with 2 hours to Lonny airport if its with Tiger.
And then what happens if flights are delayed, cancelled, diverted, etc?

That name was mentioned, yes ;) A few names were bandied forward, C.Beck, F.Reeves and M.Butters were three other names ventured.

From what I saw on the weekend, Clarence were rubbish at their delivery of the ball into their forward line.
They did look knackered yes, but I still think the Pies would've won the match regardless, maybe not by 68-points though. ;)
Kind of reminds me of Hobart's effort in 2003 where they got smashed by 110-points by North in the Grand Final.
There was absolutely no way known North were 110-points better than Hobart that year, Hobart flogged them at the same ground in about round 10, and lost with a kick on the siren late in the season at the TCA.
Fact was, Hobart had played three very tough finals leading up to the day, including a Sunday Prelim Final in the rain against Clarence which went down to the last 2 seconds to decide it.
North had a very easy finals campaign by comparison, with a couple of easy wins at home against not so strong opposition, had a week's break then had the added bonus of adding Devils listed playrs to their grand final side on the day.
It was a recipe for a one-sided disaster - and proved as much.
And the crowd of 4,289 all knew it, even the Hobart supporters turned up knowing they weren't going to win it.
North were a good side that year, but it would've been a cracking game had both sides at their full peek. Would've been one of those 50/50 deciders.
Heard from someone on Saturday that Newett was retiring from the Pies on Saturday, never posted it because I thought it wasn't true - turns out from what I read in the paper today it could be a possibility.
Great coach, destined to go much higher.

you say about north having a easy finals series back then!
they played the 1st final up at boyer at new norfolk and only won it in the last quarter when they kicked away
2nd final they played was against the highly fancied clarenece (which really was the gf) and beat them at bellerieve by 60
they played all there finals away from home and hadnt played on north hobart for about 4 weeks in a row
you say they brought players back?
the only devils players were richter, jenkins, abey
and each one would have been lucky to play more than 3 games with the devils that year!
you say how hobart flogged them during the year but then say there supporters knew they were going to get beaten?
how does that work?

you say about north having a easy finals series back then!
they played the 1st final up at boyer at new norfolk and only won it in the last quarter when they kicked away
2nd final they played was against the highly fancied clarenece (which really was the gf) and beat them at bellerieve by 60
they played all there finals away from home and hadnt played on north hobart for about 4 weeks in a row
you say they brought players back?
the only devils players were richter, jenkins, abey
and each one would have been lucky to play more than 3 games with the devils that year!
you say how hobart flogged them during the year but then say there supporters knew they were going to get beaten?
how does that work?
Hobart beat them by either 40 or 50- something points at North Hobart in round 10 if I can remember right. Played all over them.
Late in the season the Dees got up after the siren 15.6.96 to 13.12.90.
In the finals, Hobart had played Glenorchy in a deplorable conditions on the TCA in torrential rain (won 9.6.60 to 5.8.38), the following week played New Norfolk at Boyer in some of the windiest conditions I've ever seen at a football match (won 19.6.120 to 10.9.69) - this was the day a group of lads started a fire under the trees at the clubrooms end and almost set those big trees on fire :eek:
Third final was on a Sunday, in the rain, against Clarence in the Prelim.
Was easily the best game of footy in the SFL I ever saw the club play, wet track, hard, tough, tight game.
Went down to the last 2 seconds, Hobart wins by a point and potentially stops Four In Roo :thumbsu:
And you're right about North playing away, I was thinking of another year sorry.
Demons were well rested, had the week off, Hobart were absolutely gone after the Clarence game. You could see it. At training they were flat as squashed shit during the week.
Richter and Jenkins were pretty handy players to add to your side though :thumbsu:
Everyone knew the side with the week's rest with a couple of handy inclusions, up against a side with 5 days rest who'd come off three slogs in three weeks would be a monty to win it - and they did. End of story.
They did well to get to the Final, but it was perhaps the fact that they took the foot off the pedal and didn't really bore in in the latter half of the season when they'd been so good in the first half that saw them lose several close ones and end up fifth.
North were deservedly premiers, no doubt about that, but by the same token they weren't 110-points better that season either.
That's more what I was referring to. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you wouldn't be booking them in advance like 3 months out...you would be booking them about a week before wouldn't you? And I'm talking of flying an umpire into HOBART!
Not flying them into Launceston...Why would you fly all umpires into Launceston even if some of them are umpiring in Hobart...thought that it would make common sense to me..?

But please prove me wrong...

IF the $30 flightts were available at booking time, would umpires come at that? Plus Tiger only have one flight a day scheduled at the moment; which unlikely to increase for winter; and the flights both ways are of a night.
So, taking Tiger would mean flying down on Friday night (for a Saturday game). Therefore Deathstar or Virgin Saturday morning into Hobart - cutting travel time considerably would be needed to get rid of accommodation costs. Its still a huge ask of an umpire.

Anywhere from half an hour or to 90 minutes to Tullamarine, depending where the umpire lives, a while hanging around for the flight, an hour on the plane, 1/2 hour from Hobart airport to the game, and then the same in reverse after the game - except with 2 hours to Lonny airport if its with Tiger.
And then what happens if flights are delayed, cancelled, diverted, etc?

If they were available at Booking time I'd jump aboard (like KingPin) :thumbsu:

But you wouldn't be booking them in advance like 3 months out...you would be booking them about a week before wouldn't you? And I'm talking of flying an umpire into HOBART!
Not flying them into Launceston...Why would you fly all umpires into Launceston even if some of them are umpiring in Hobart...thought that it would make common sense to me..?

But please prove me wrong...

lol Orange Meanie is taking the piss everyone .. Considering they will only fly in 1 VFL field umpire everytime there is a VFL match haha:rolleyes:.....

Why would people believe some 15 year old on school holidays and going under the identity of "orange meanie" haha the kids got balls eh?

There you go Gracie18 - its official now, wonder if the reporter (Smith) first found out about it on the forum and made some enquiries.

Smith's credibility is shot after this too. Apparently he agreed with both Channel and the OSFA to keep it under wraps for a couple of weeks and it ended up in the paper the very next day.

Nothing related to this thread or Tasmanian Football, but I couldn't resist and I'm sure some of you guys will have a laugh as well. I was trying to find some stuff on Joffa to stir up Barge, and came across this.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253344&highlight=joffa+corfe

Barge - check this out, remind you of the girls at Claremont High?:D Let alone the Claremont Football Club Cheer Squad!

Smith's credibility is shot after this too. Apparently he agreed with both Channel and the OSFA to keep it under wraps for a couple of weeks and it ended up in the paper the very next day.

Doesn surprise me at all Wilbur35!

Be interesting to see how things pan out now.

Nothing related to this thread or Tasmanian Football, but I couldn't resist and I'm sure some of you guys will have a laugh as well. I was trying to find some stuff on Joffa to stir up Barge, and came across this.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253344&highlight=joffa+corfe

Barge - check this out, remind you of the girls at Claremont High?:D Let alone the Claremont Football Club Cheer Squad!
Hilarious:D For a minute there I thought it was Barge, but then after a second look I finally realised it was the great man himself that keeps the painters of Hobart supplied.....the one and only EGG:D

lol Orange Meanie is taking the piss everyone .. Considering they will only fly in 1 VFL field umpire everytime there is a VFL match haha:rolleyes:.....

Why would people believe some 15 year old on school holidays and going under the identity of "orange meanie" haha the kids got balls eh?

Hmm best be careful there Footy55 or I will send my cousin the Blue Meanie round with Stevie Richards to lay the smackdown on your candyass.

:thumbsu:Well done Duff TV for getting your clip on the Footy Show, better luck next time. Maybe you could do us up a bit of a highlights package of marks and tackles?

Give me a reporters cred that isnt shot lol.... stubbsy.... stockers.... both been saying they will do a cricket areticle on me for 2 years and it has not happened... reckon i need to average more than 8 in first grade.... 8's good for a number 5 i think lol................... At least Smithy has the balls to print things... why talk to him and then say keep it under wraps anyway... wouldnt you say no comment and come back in two weeks....i mean smithy is intimidating............... Old Scholars surely would not want a bye in the comp, plus i remember richmond being grilled when they tried to move into it.... just stick with the regional at least you know you will get two wins a year

Andrew Lamprill has stood down as coach of the Hobart Lions.
I heard John Edge has applied for the position.

Edgy has given it up (again...). Not interested in footy, his old lady wants him home more!! He'll feel the passion again, but will end up coaching underage again somewhere- he loves coaching young fellas, and damn good at it too.

In saying that, I do know that he has spoken to Brighton... But they want a player coach.

Plenty of $$ floating around Brighton tho. Dunno if thats just next year, or has always been like that, but they've got plenty to sepnd to get players next year. Hopefully they can give more than the Salters and Barwicks did for them this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back