Tasmanian Premier slams 'uncommitted' Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/04/2973733.htm?site=sport&section=afl

Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett has accused the Hawthorn Football Club of not being committed to the state having its own AFL team.

The Hawks contract to play four matches a season in Launceston expires at the end of next year.

Mr Bartlett says he plans to get a better result for Tasmania in any new deal and has questioned Hawthorn's intentions.

What a remarkably stupid comment.

Given the amount of work we do in Tasmania, to call the club 'uncommitted' is just a slap in the face.

We'd be well within our rights to walk away from Tasmania and flip Bartlett the bird on the way out.

It's little wonder Tasmania don't have their own team.

I remember the Pollies making stupid statements in the past (one said that they were going to put the 4 games up to the best offer from any club) and then the people (who love us) hit them were it hurt and they backed off! Should happen again here

UPDATE:
I read the article and the quotes don't really match the headline! as said below, its more him stating the obvious!

well what Mr Bartlett is saying is that Hawthorn are not "committed or partially commited to relocate to Tasmania" and we are not. And i would hope he is CORRECT, because if there was there would be huge backlash from Melbourne ( Victorian) supporters. We are a Victorian club with proud history in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and if the new deal w/ tasmania stipulates that we are commited to partially locate or fully locate to Tasmania in the future i would hope that Hawks give them a big **** off and play 19 games a season here.
But i would i also hope the hawks can maintain its support in Tasmania maybe playing away game against North Melbourne there etc.
I am not saying i dont want the hawks to play there, i dont mind, and i really enjoy hawthorn having another 8k members from Tasmania and i dont mind playing 4 games a season there to satisfy them. But if playing games there means we are committed to some long term plan to relocate there then I would hope Hawks happily find a new sponsor and I think a new sponsor would happily find us....

We've done wonders for that state when it comes to football.

What more does Bartlett want?

And we've done pretty well out of them also.

His constituency are the people who pay a large slab of money to a professional sporting club. He needs to make sure he is getting best value for tax dollars.

Kennett schooled bartlett in the art of political spin.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has described the comments as extraordinary and insulting. "I find this very disappointing and I don't consider it just part of normal negotiation, unless he is now trying to buy North Melbourne."
"If he is trying to say to us 'right thank you Hawthorn, you have done your job now it is time to go'. If he is saying that, that's fine but let him say so."

Bartlett has LOST the plot.

Tassie Labor are slowly killing off AFL footy in this STATE.
2 Grounds will never work.
Pissing HAWTHORN off is just #### stupid.
Kangroos what the #### playing in Hobart

It seems to be the price that is paid for dealing with government that you must be thickskinned enough to deal with the grandstanding and being kicked around like the proverbial political football.

I'm immune to it now, however, it does damage our brand to have it constantly bought into question in the media circus - and I expect if they want to keep on doing that, to expect to pay highly for the privilege.

I have mixed feelings about tassie. We may have done our dash there, and have reaped huge financial rewards. I travel there for the 4 games a year, but maybe its time for us to bring those home games back to the MCG where i can sit in my reserved seat after 10 or so beers at the London. I still have a reserved seat in Tassie, but the 10 beers or so at the Inveresk Tavern are no match!

Either way I don't really care, apart from our 8000 members there.

Politicians get funny when elections are looming :)

Bigfooty posters are funny all the time.

David Bartlett is Premier of Tasmania. The last state election was three months ago. The next is three years away, hardly looming.

The Tasmanian Government is about to renegotiate a $15m plus sponsorship of the Hawthorn Football Club. That is looming.

He is quoted in the article:
"Does the Hawthorn Football Club see Tasmania as a long-term bet?" he said.
"Does the Hawthorn Football Club have a long-term plan to partially or fully relocate to Tasmania to become a Tasmanian team?
"I think our goal still should remain to have a Tasmanian AFL side and I don't think Hawthorn are committed to that."

As a Hawthorn supporter living in Launceston, I find it difficult to object to any of his quoted remarks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've done wonders for that state when it comes to football.

What more does Bartlett want?

Really believe that Hawthorn have done wonders?

Hawthorn have done well. Tasmania have done well.
But football in Tasmania is still in a poor position.

Bartlett believes that Tasmania wants its own team and that as Premier he should help progress to that. He is probably right.

As a Hawthorn supporter living in Launceston, I find it difficult to object to any of his quoted remarks

I agree, but I also don't think anyone can question the work Hawthorn has put in down here. (Not saying that Bartlett has questioned their commitment to Tas, just that that is how Kennett sees it).

Bartlett and Kennett need to go and have a beer together before this gets out of hand.

I agree, but I also don't think anyone can question the work Hawthorn has put in down here.

Bartlett and Kennett need to go and have a beer together before this gets out of hand.

Did you read the article?

I can't find any explicit (or even implicit) criticism of Hawthorn.

Unless you consider the proposition that Hawthorn don't plan to relocate to Tasmania as criticism.

The local rag (Examiner) has more direct quotes under the headline Bartlett to play hardball with Hawks.
He does indicate his intention to ask about Hawthorn's long term plans.
And he intends to get the best deal possible for Tasmania.
That is part of the job he was elected to do.

The best possible deal for Tasmania currently includes Hawthorn. That may change in a few years.
For now, I'll just enjoy my Launceston games!

While I love the amazing amount of dollars and members we get from the Tassie deal (although I still hate the Tasmania on our jumper).

While I am a passionate Tasmanian, I hope that we tell that crook Bartlett to go get ****ed.

The Hawks are not and will not become a Tassie team. (If they ever do I hope I am not alive to see it)

Be gratefull what the Hawks have done for Tassie and stop talking shit Bartlett, you cross eyed git.

He is a knob, return on investment so far would suggest that the current arrangement is best for both parties...as for a Tassie home team (of which I am all fore), that by way of size and scale is not going to happen soon...

I have mixed feelings about tassie. We may have done our dash there, and have reaped huge financial rewards. I travel there for the 4 games a year, but maybe its time for us to bring those home games back to the MCG where i can sit in my reserved seat after 10 or so beers at the London. I still have a reserved seat in Tassie, but the 10 beers or so at the Inveresk Tavern are no match!

Either way I don't really care, apart from our 8000 members there.

:eek:

You'd prefer the swill served in Victoria, than the pure, indeed beautiful liquid gold served in Tasmania?

(Of course, I'm not biased in the slightest......:D)

Without actually hearing Bartlett say what he has been quoted and to know whether it was a general comment or whether there was venom in his delivery it's difficult to know whether the headline is an accurate reflection of what was said.

Of all of the Victorian clubs that have played games interstate no one has been as commited to giving overall value to the community as Hawthorn has. Sure, we have received great value from the deal but we have bent over backwards to be seen to be a part of the Tasmanian community and not just going there with our hand outstretched.

We are also playing 36% of our home games in Tassie. I would never want to call it a partial relocation but we commit more than a third of our home games each year to Tassie.

I like the way Bartlett asks whether we see Tassie as long term bet. Yep, it is a bet when dealing with government because you can easily do your dough. I think Hawthorn has commited long term to Tassie and, yes, it most certainly is a bet!

Having said all that, Tassie have every right to push for their own team and we have everyright to say "good luck, but it won't be us."

Not sure where Bartlett is going with his comments...

The comments indicate that Hawthorn are now in a position where their major sponsor is requesting they relocate to Tasmania in the long term. Bartlett appears to glaze over the fact the Hawks have a strong supporter base in its home state.

North have stated it will not relocate to Tasmania and they are obviously the weakest link of the Vic clubs. They wont be handing out a 19th license anytime soon. What other options do they have but to negotiate with Hawthorn? Richmond certainly wont commit to as many games and Melbourne are back on track.

Hawthorn is by far their best bet when it comes to AFL in Tasmania. They have given up well more than it has had to considering the support it has back home, another point largely ignored by the tas premier.

With an additional time slot (Thurs or Mon night footy) and a better stadium deal, there is a window for an increase of MCG home games. Hawthorn should be actively pursuing this as its first priority.

A commercial major sponsor should also be a high priority of the club. The club has never been this attractive, and the less reliance on tasmanian funding the better.

I see us getting one more 3 year, 4-game per year deal, taking us through to 2014.

Kangaroos signing a similar arrangement in Hobart.

In 2012, the AFL will change their funding arrangements, essentially canning additional support for clubs.

In 2013, Kangaroos will negotiate a "partial" relocation, playing 4 games in Hobart, 4 games in Launceston and guaranteed 8 games in Melbourne starting in 2015.

Hawthorn will from 2015 will start playing 2 games a year in NZ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian Premier slams 'uncommitted' Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back