Taxing bigger clubs could stifle AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenneth was quoted a few weeks back
"Football club boards have to continually find new sources of revenue "

I agree but these sources come directly or indirectly from members and fans. It's not right for footy club admins to feather their nests at members expense.

Ok don't go as far as putting a cap on but boards need to recognise we are not a bottomless pit

That's just dodgy wording by the author.

All the quotes by Evans refers to bringing in equalisation methods for football department spending.

"We won't be taxed anymore – as long as I am in this role."

"If you start putting caps and luxury caps on spending, you'll stifle creativity and innovation,"

"Clubs should be incentivised to grow the game, things like capping football expenditure and luxury taxes and things frankly don't work."

Growing the game or growing the back offices ?

That's just dodgy wording by the author.

All the quotes by Evans refers to bringing in equalisation methods for football department spending.

"We won't be taxed anymore – as long as I am in this role."

"If you start putting caps and luxury caps on spending, you'll stifle creativity and innovation,"

"Clubs should be incentivised to grow the game, things like capping football expenditure and luxury taxes and things frankly don't work."

Perhaps, but I suspect he said more than those few lines, and I like to think the comments around that would reflect the tone of the broader comments. (yes, I'm possibly overestimating the journalism skills of the football media).

Ok then the afl should fixture all clubs to have equal timeslots and FTA slots. Not to mention blockbuster home games and so forth.

Are you looking to lose the #1 spot in Aussie sport - if so you are on to something,if not, it just plain dopey !!

Allocate FTA time slots, see you later ratings, see you later advertisers, FTA TV rights :thumbsdown:

Principle Rob, you get a benefit, you return a % to those who lose whilst you benefit.

A financial windfall hardly ....

It's patently clear that you are not a footy supporter in the way the game is perceived over here in the heartland.

You support a business in a forum that is not primarily about business.

Business is incidental of AFL football. It is not AFL football itself.

Are you looking to lose the #1 spot in Aussie sport - if so you are on to something,if not, it just plain dopey !!

Allocate FTA time slots, see you later ratings, see you later advertisers, FTA TV rights :thumbsdown:

Depends if that means #1 for highest prices for fans - which now seems to apply to the grand final.

Not sure I prefer being gouged in some stupid pissing contest, or whether I'd prefer accessible (cost wise) sport

What a rediculous comment. By capping spending, you will encourage innovative ideas to get a benefit with the same amount of money as other teams. Every team now going to America for altitude training is hardly innovative - the bulldogs going to a specific altitude room on the otherhand allows them to stayclose to their facilities, and agruably get similar benefits (for far less cost). The latter is innovation, the former is all about the moolah.

What a rediculous comment. By capping spending, you will encourage innovative ideas to get a benefit with the same amount of money as other teams. Every team now going to America for altitude training is hardly innovative - the bulldogs going to a specific altitude room on the otherhand allows them to stayclose to their facilities, and agruably get similar benefits (for far less cost). The latter is innovation, the former is all about the moolah.

Going to the high altitude training was the innovation . Mindlessly following the innovator is keeping up with the Joneses, the Bullies are exercising cost control.

Innovation has little to do with money.

Innovation has little to do with money.
I think innovation has a lot to do with money. That doesnt mean you have to spend a lot of money to be innovative. A lot of companies are innovative as a way of saving money, or adding additional value to their product without spending money.

I think innovation has a lot to do with money. That doesnt mean you have to spend a lot of money to be innovative. A lot of companies are innovative as a way of saving money, or adding additional value to their product without spending money.

I was referring to money as the primary motive for innovation.

Evans is a generic bean counter. He's an investment broker. He jumps on innovation that is already formulated in order to ride the coat tails of others who need financing. This is not "innovation" in it's true concept, it's parasitism. This mans views need to be analysed from this perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd be opposed to a cap on football department spending and see any tax as unnecessary then?

I would centralise all finances and distribute them equally. The AFL should have it's own "football innovation" department. This centralisation of resources is more cost effective and removes all financial ambiguity from the competition..

Should just kick all of the small minnow clubs out of the league. They're holding the standard of football and everyone involved back anyway. Wouldn't have to worry about capping spending either.

I would centralise all finances and distribute them equally. The AFL should have it's own "football innovation" department. This centralisation of resources is more cost effective and removes all financial ambiguity from the competition..
Yeh, nah. Shit communism doesnt work. it would allow shit teams to not even TRY to drum up new members etc - however capping spending in certain areas makes sense.

Should just kick all of the small minnow clubs out of the league. They're holding the standard of football and everyone involved back anyway.

We should have done this in 1983.

Wouldn't have to worry about capping spending either.

Someone has to be the poorest club. As spending rises the poorest fall away again. It's a never ending cycle.

Besides, do you really trust the interstate clubs if Victorian numbers were decimated? You would be shooting yourselves in the foot.

Should just kick all of the small minnow clubs out of the league. They're holding the standard of football and everyone involved back anyway. Wouldn't have to worry about capping spending either.

You could spend as much as you like playing intra-club practice matches every week.

Yeh, nah. Shit communism doesnt work. it would allow shit teams to not even TRY to drum up new members etc - however capping spending in certain areas makes sense.

I don't buy the whole marketing bullshit angle argument.

People primarily go to games because they love their clubs, the players and the game.

I don't think membership marketing is particularly significant. Play shit and you lose members. This is consistent for all clubs who are not in an overpopulated environment.

West Coast numbers have been consistent in down times because members are too shit frightened of losing their seat at the footy, and go back in to the queue.

I don't know I thought the standard of football was pretty high when we knocked you off this year....well I'd probably rate the Shaw dummy spit at 8/10. Was entertaining.

Those crying about equalising blockbuster matches/timeslots/FTA time slots have short memories. I am pretty sure that playing St Kilda back in 2009-2011 period was considered a blockbuster match. A Geelong vs St Kilda game was a must see, even more so than a Collingwood vs Essendon game. Yes, Collingwood and Essendon are big clubs, bring in the crowds etc, but do you think they would schedule them to play Friday nights if they were cellar dwellers?
The return game between Collignwood and Essendon this year is a Sunday twilight game. If it pulls a crowd of 80K+ and smashes the ratings, will others cry for that timeslot?

If you want your team to play in more blockbuster games, than they have to improve on field first. A Melbourne supporter cannot cry about how little coverage they have when their team gets destroyed on the field week in week out. Do you think the ratings will be good if they get beaten up the way they do? Do you think everyone wants to sit there on a Friday night to watch teams like Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast and Bulldogs lose by 80+?
Nope. Everyone will get their turn once they are back up again. Bulldogs were involved in plenty of Friday night games when they were up there.

I don't know I thought the standard of football was pretty high when we knocked you off this year....well I'd probably rate the Shaw dummy spit at 8/10. Was entertaining.

This is what they are really afraid of. Getting beaten by poorer clubs.

Solution: Create a fiscal argument to rid yourself of disadvantaged opponents who can beat you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Taxing bigger clubs could stifle AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back