List Mgmt. Next club to face a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Carlton have this year and next to win the flag before a drop off similar to Collingwood's this year with so many players around and over that 30 mark.

Geelong and Melbourne may not require full rebuilds but really need to get some decent youth into their sides over the next couple of drafts
We have 1 player over the age of 30 on our whole list?

- No FA compensation and earlier eligibility. The benefit of losing a player is cap space so the team can go get another player. More player movement to refresh the list.

- Mid Season trading. Top teams will pay a premium if they are in the mix for the flag and lower clubs can’t move to rebuild quicker.

- No F/S in first two rounds. If clubs want the romance of picking a son of a legend, awesome, go get the pick needed. Allow live trading after a club has picked the player if you must.

- And this is the big one, clubs can trade players without their consent while under contract. Clubs can get top trade value at market rate instead of players saying I will only go to 1 team, which means clubs take under. It is always the same 4 clubs benefitting from this, and the players take below market rate to get to these teams knowing they’ll make it back in career opportunities or cough cheap property deals.
I don't disagree with much of what you are saying, but just out of curiosity, who are the 4 clubs?

Looking pretty clear that our list is facing a rebuild. Was hoping our old brigade had this year to challenge but most have lost form or been injured or both

Combined with our younger players going backwards it’s not looking great

I think Carlton have this year and next to win the flag before a drop off similar to Collingwood's this year with so many players around and over that 30 mark.

Geelong and Melbourne may not require full rebuilds but really need to get some decent youth into their sides over the next couple of drafts
Who are our players around or over 30?

We have 1 player over the age of 30 on our whole list?
A) That's wrong

B) I said a lot of players near or over which is correct. You have about 12 players who will be 30+ in 2 years time.

For comparison, Collingwood who many consider to have an old list in need of a rebuild only have 8 this year and have fallen off the cliff.

Who knows, you may have a bit of unearthed young talent in the VFL or yet to be drafted that will keep you up, but I reckon your list profile looks like one that will need a refresh after next year.

Last edited:
This list is a little silly, but for the sake of argument I will accept it so we can move to my next point.

How many contending teams have less players than Carlton on their list in this age bracket?
Hey bud, we have a heap of 26-28 year old players. Some will need to be gone end of this year or next. It's just reality

A) That's wrong

B) I said a lot of players near or over which is correct. You have about 12 players who will be 30+ in 2 years time.

For comparison, Collingwood who many consider to have an old list in need of a rebuild only have 8 this year and have fallen off the cliff.

Who knows, you may have a bit of unearthed young talent in the VFL or yet to be drafted that will keep you up, but I reckon your list profile looks like one that will need a refresh after next year.
Right... So a whole bunch of 27-29 year olds only have 1-2 years of good footy left in them? Seems a bit ridiculous no offense.

Also Collingwood is completely different, their oldies are well into their 30s and even still won the flag last year. Not sure I'd use them as a great comparison.

This list is a little silly, but for the sake of argument I will accept it so we can move to my next point.

How many contending teams have less players than Carlton on their list in this age bracket?
At a guess I'd say Geelong definitely have more. Brisbane and the dogs would be similar and Freo, Sydney and GWS would have less. I don't really consider Geelong or the dogs to be strong contenders though. So Brisbane I would say are in a similar position of having another year or 2 in contention before at least a small rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right... So a whole bunch of 27-29 year olds only have 1-2 years of good footy left in them? Seems a bit ridiculous no offense.

Also Collingwood is completely different, their oldies are well into their 30s and even still won the flag last year. Not sure I'd use them as a great comparison.
I never said they'd be completely useless, just said you'd probably be looking at a rebuild around 2026 given the number of players in that bracket.

Who knows though, Geelong managed to stay up.

I never said they'd be completely useless, just said you'd probably be looking at a rebuild around 2026 given the number of players in that bracket.

Ages at the end of the season

Jesse Motlop - 21
Ollie Hollands - 20
Elijah Hollands - 22
Sam Walsh - 24
Matt Cottrell - 25
Tom Dekoning - 25
Adam Cerra - 25
Matt Kennedy - 27
Jack Silvagni - 27
Harry Mckay - 27
Jacob Weitering - 27
Charlie Curnow - 27

Maybe I'm bias but that doesn't seem like a core that will need to rebuild any time soon given we'll add draftees, free agents, trades, develop others within etc over the next few years just as every team does to continue building around them.

Also have the two Camporeale twins coming in at the end of this year and Cody Walker who's widely seen as the pick 1 contender for 2026.

We'll need to cover the retirements of Cripps, Docherty, Mcgovern, Saad, Acres and Newman when they eventually hang up the boots but replacing players like Fantasia, Marchbank, Martin, Pittonet, S Durdin etc really shouldn't be difficult... Half of them don't play now due to never ending injuries anyway.

A rebuild?

In 2026, Curnow, Weitering, McKay will have just turned 29, Walsh 24, Cerra 25, De Koning 26.. that’s 7 of our current top 10 who will still be in their prime.

I’ll also back Cripps to still be playing good footy.

Few concerns like McGovern, Saad & Newman however a full rebuild sounds like a silly idea.

Carlton's only imminent list issue is Cripps. He'll be 30 next year and has pretty significant milage given his play style.

If they can replace him somehow, then they'll be fine until Curnow, McKay, Weltering drop off. Should have at least a 4 year window.
Agreed. Cripps will be very difficult to cover and his end could come rather rapidly given how much of a battering his body has copped over the years.

Jesse Motlop - 21
Ollie Hollands - 20
Elijah Hollands - 22
Sam Walsh - 24
Matt Cottrell - 25
Tom Dekoning - 25
Adam Cerra - 25
Matt Kennedy - 27
Jack Silvagni - 27
Harry Mckay - 27
Jacob Weitering - 27
Charlie Curnow - 27

Maybe I'm bias but that doesn't seem like a core that will need to rebuild any time soon given we'll add draftees, free agents, trades, develop others within etc over the next few years just as every team does to continue building around them.

Also have the two Camporeale twins coming in at the end of this year and Cody Walker who's widely seen as the pick 1 contender for 2026.

We'll need to cover the retirements of Cripps, Docherty, Mcgovern, Saad, Acres and Newman when they eventually hang up the boots but replacing players like Fantasia, Marchbank, Martin, Pittonet, S Durdin etc really shouldn't be difficult... Half of them don't play now due to never ending injuries anyway.

Tend to agree. If anything you might have some older role players which isn't a big deal.

Jesse Motlop - 21
Ollie Hollands - 20
Elijah Hollands - 22
Sam Walsh - 24
Matt Cottrell - 25
Tom Dekoning - 25
Adam Cerra - 25
Matt Kennedy - 27
Jack Silvagni - 27
Harry Mckay - 27
Jacob Weitering - 27
Charlie Curnow - 27

Depressing reading for all non- Carlton people

Looking pretty clear that our list is facing a rebuild. Was hoping our old brigade had this year to challenge but most have lost form or been injured or both

Combined with our younger players going backwards it’s not looking great
Your depth is god-aweful.

No draft picks this year, either for trade or actually drafting a player.

Even if you had the top 6 draft pick you’re about to hand Freo, they’d probably pickup another Schultz.

Richmond is an obvious one that needs a rebuild.

For the less obvious I think Collingwood and Port would be the next facing the prospect of a rebuild. Collingwood timed their premiership well last season because I think that was the last chance they could win one without major changes to their list.

While I think this year there is a chance for Port to have an crack at a premiership, this is their last realistic but still unlikely chance.

Port like Collingwood has a core group of aging stars who are either past their peak or soon will be.

Agreed to a certain extent but we have some good youth coming through. The 2015 draftees still have 5 - 6 years left at least. Walsh, Cerra, TDK, Cowan, Motlop, Hollands twins are young enough. Campo twins and Cody Walker coming through. I agree we need to hit the draft and stock up on more high end talent but the cupboard isn't empty and a chance to regenerate while our core is aged 24 - 30

Your depth is god-aweful.

No draft picks this year, either for trade or actually drafting a player.

Even if you had the top 6 draft pick you’re about to hand Freo, they’d probably pickup another Schultz.
Oh well. Content with last years flag. Will keep me upbeat for awhile. As long as your lot keep your run with no flags this century things will be ok

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Next club to face a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back