Tayla Harris just got immortalised with a Bronze Statue....

Remove this Banner Ad

The statue is a statement about gender diversity. Of the 16 statues that surround the MCG, only two are of women – Olympic athletes Betty Cuthbert and Shirley Strickland. It seems like more and more people can't help but lose their minds over what I guess I'd call "social justice issues." It was inevitable they were going to even this up a little, so calm down and take a chill pill everyone. Tokenism is defined as the following: “the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce.” The statue is only up at Fed Square temporarily until they find a new permanent place for it..Mmmm? The MCG perhaps? It doesn't bother me if it ended up down there, this statue is for all women in he sporting community and for those women who follow it, and many women visit the MCG too. But nobody should forget that Tokenism is an empty movement with no real impact beyond confusion and frustration. Based on a very good photo, why would this statue cause any angst among anybody who like sport?

Do you even read before you start puffing like an ape? If you want to celebrate women in sport and put it on a political agenda use someone that has dedicated their life and achieved something for women to strive for not a statue that's a response to immature tweets from teenagers. This means nothing and bloody laughable people are comparing this to Winmar
It’s an art piece funded by the NAB (according to someone in this thread).

It’s absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Getting outraged over this statue is no different to getting outraged over a painter deciding to paint someone.

I think the issue is who is she and what has she achieved in her sport to deserve this? Like the OP says some other elite athletes in their sports have not been given this, yet she has after playing 2? years. Maybe at the end of her career if she is the best player over her career she would deserve it, but not at this stage.

The statue is a statement about gender diversity. Of the 16 statues that surround the MCG, only two are of women – Olympic athletes Betty Cuthbert and Shirley Strickland. It seems like more and more people can't help but lose their minds over what I guess I'd call "social justice issues." It was inevitable they were going to even this up a little, so calm down and take a chill pill everyone. Tokenism is defined as the following: “the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce.” The statue is only up at Fed Square temporarily until they find a new permanent place for it..Mmmm? The MCG perhaps? It doesn't bother me if it ended up down there, this statue is for all women in he sporting community and for those women who follow it, and many women visit the MCG too. But nobody should forget that Tokenism is an empty movement with no real impact beyond confusion and frustration. Based on a very good photo, why would this statue cause any angst among anybody who like sport?
You gotta remember this is a flimsy fiberglass prototype that wont be finding a permanent public home. The actual one hasn't even been made yet, and if a prominent home isnt found it mightnt even go ahead, and anyone who thinks it could end up at the G is just dreaming. If anything, outside Princess Park would be the go, after all the Carlton president today put out a press statement supporting Tayla and the statue.

Even if I did...

Wouldn't get the virtue signalling press recognition this one got.

Didn't happen to march in the straight pride parade, did you?

You gotta remember this is a flimsy fiberglass prototype that wont be finding a permanent public home. The actual one hasn't even been made yet, and if a prominent home isnt found it mightnt even go ahead, and anyone who thinks it could end up at the G is just dreaming. If anything, outside Princess Park would be the go, after all the Carlton president today put out a press statement supporting Tayla and the statue.

If Princes Park is going to be the home of AFLW Football than that's the only place for it to go.

But it's a bit hard to get worked up over a statue anyway. I mean who cares?

I think the issue is who is she and what has she achieved in her sport to deserve this? Like the OP says some other elite athletes in their sports have not been given this, yet she has after playing 2? years. Maybe at the end of her career if she is the best player over her career she would deserve it, but not at this stage.
What do you understand to be the reason for creating it?

What about Mo Hope? WHAT ABOUT MO HOPE?!

The photo itself was staged. A fake.

We tear down tributes to the likes of John Batman and replace them with this shit. Soon enough we will stand for nothing, or nothing that matters.

It's just a bronze statue, what it represents is the important thing, rather than the flesh & blood it is associated with.

Harris, like Winmar, created an unforgettable image of the game, and whilst it hasn't yet stood the test of time, remember that the AFLW is young, forging its own legacy, and visuals like that do the trick well. It makes a statement from the early years of the game, a statement to stick by for the comp in years ahead.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when you thought the left-wing media and do-gooders of this country couldn't go any further, they do. Remember that storm in a teacup earlier when Harris had a photo of herself kicking a football get trolled (most likely by teenagers) on social media? Well now apparently being a victim of online trolling is all it takes to be immortalised in a Bronze statue.

Correct me if im wrong, but Cathy Freeman doesn't have that recognition. Nor does worldwide Soccer star Sam Kerr who is in the top 3 best players on the planet. Theres a bunch of female athletes more deserving of having a Bronze statue erected as an honour.

But nah bugger those legends who represent our country on an international scale. Lets give this honour to a woman in a sub-standard competition that's barely being going for 2 years.

View attachment 744328

I don’t think “left wingers” have anything to do with a football statue buddy.

When it comes to women in sport, or lack of recognition, I find it ammusing those who are vehemently defending Tayla Harris and the statue are the same ones who are attacking Margaret Court and demanding her name be removed from show court one.
Why should racists/homophobes be treated differently just because they're a woman?

I can't remember any photos over the past decade that have been more powerful

i don't have a problem with it, but i do have a problem with the location kinda seems like they didn't know where to put it so they plonked it in the middle of the city.

I can't remember any photos over the past decade that have been more powerful
280571-meatloaf.jpg

While we're working up an appetite disparaging Harris, can we at least spell her name right in the title? T-A-Y-L-A.

Many thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tayla Harris just got immortalised with a Bronze Statue....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back