Taylor Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bartel was never close to being turfed out, I have information that when we got ottens Melbourne asked Geelong for either enright, bartel, Kelly, moloney and Geelong were very quick to say moloney, coz they rated the other 3 highly

Bartel was close to being turfed out. Enright was always pretty good if I recall correctly, as was Taylor. But Bartel, Ling, Scarlett, Lonergan, Johnson, etc etc were just some of the players who didnt show much until 50+ games and then drastically improved.

Rubbish.

SJ kicked 6 against Brisbane at the Gabba in his 2nd year.
Bartel was never close to getting 'turfed out' and showed plenty of courage and class in his first few games
Lonergan is 197cm tall and was always going to take at least 50 games to do anything at all
I can't quite recall Ling's early showings but he was always a good kick and never struggled to find the ball

I'm not saying we should pass judgement on T. Hunt already, but some of the claims in here that it took our premiership players a long time to show their worth are highly exaggerated. Class players demonstrate innate ability very early on. What usually takes time is fitness and conditioning, and the ability to mentally focus and apply their ability throughout an entire game etc. At the moment the jury is still out on Hunt, IMO, and while I'm more than happy for the club to persist with him beyond this year and even next, he lacks the class the other kids have shown, and will need to improve steadily to become anything more than a useful role player.

Dunno how you can label him piss weak and not wanting to go at the footy. If you have 2/3 Geelong players going at the footy you need coverage on the outside no point having a 4th player going in. And of course we don't know what the coaches are instructing him to do. Obviously each to their own opinion. Seems as though people already don't want him to succeed and become a better player.

Dunno how you can label him piss weak and not wanting to go at the footy. If you have 2/3 Geelong players going at the footy you need coverage on the outside no point having a 4th player going in. And of course we don't know what the coaches are instructing him to do. Obviously each to their own opinion. Seems as though people already don't want him to succeed and become a better player.

I seriously think that's the case with West and Gillies sometimes too. I'd ask Scott if he thinks Hunt is doing his job. That's all that matters. It's the same whether it's Stokes or West or Taylor Hunt or Motlop. As much as we'd like to, we don't actually know what goes on and what Scott wants from them.

Tagging isn't an easy job. He's been doing it for not even one year, and has performed well against Mitchell, Black, Dangerfield and others. Who else would be able to do it better? Anyone?

Oh yes, and no patience for anyone else either. They have to be absolutely brilliant from day one.

You have to realise his going up against guys that have 8-10 pre seasons under their belts where as his only had the 4

I think we have been very spoilt and now want every young player to be a superstar. Has been a good role player this year and will improve from here.
spot on, I can't believe what he is copping here. It's way early days and people should consider that every player needs time to develop. He's been put in a bloody hard role and I think does ok. Bounce this thread after another 30 games please.

I think he has been patchy, but overall OK.
Still think he will be 200 gamer
Reminds me a bit of 'scratcher' Neal (That might test some memories, and yes, i know he's not a bloodnut)

I think he has been patchy but overall OK Still think he will be 200 gamer
Reminds me a bit of 'scratcher' Neal That might test some memories
he'll need to get thicker thighs

I suspect the selection panel rate the kid far higher than most here do.

He's played some pretty significant, underrated roles as a tagger for most the year, sacrificing his own game.

Seems people expect him to perform like a seasoned Ling already. Fair chance that will never happen so some need to be a bit more realistic when assessing Hunt.

it seems a % on this board are incapable of giving both the team and the players time to come good.

it happened late '09, earlier this year, and late '11.

it has happened with lonergan, hawkins, varcoe and now Thunt...

i like Thunt - he has promise, determination, and i like the fact he has played only 37 games.

ill run with scott, wells and the MC on this one. they are giving Thunt game time - i doubt it is some elaborate practical joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont deny he's had a few clangers - but who hasn't. And i've given the laptop a serve when he's done it too...

To counter the clangers - anyone remember who went onto Mitchell in the 2nd /2 of the end 2 game after he had 20 odd possies in the first 1/2 and kept him to 9 of the rest of the game?

I'll accept the clangers for now and in the future. He has shown plenty and played the role the team has asked him to - and done it successfully against several elite mids. He will get better as he goes past 50 games. Need we dicsuss some others who have "bloomed" recently...

Hawkins, Tom; Lonergan, Tom, to name a few. We have been blessed with a several instant impact youngsters that is well outside the norm - Bundy, Menzel, Vardy etc

Ask any St Kilda, North and Richmond supporter how many instant impact rookies they have hand in the last 5 years....

We probably could name 5.

They would be lucky to have 5 between them. Point is it takes time and i for one am certainly willing to let him develop at the top level.

Go Catters

it seems a % on this board are incapable of giving both the team and the players time to come good.

it happened late '09, earlier this year, and late '11.

it has happened with lonergan, hawkins, varcoe and now Thunt...

i like Thunt - he has promise, determination, and i like the fact he has played only 37 games.

ill run with scott, wells and the MC on this one. they are giving Thunt game time - i doubt it is some elaborate practical joke.

Looks like i was typing as you were posting Barmy... same examples 15000kms apart...

Nice work!

Go Catters

Bartel was never close to getting 'turfed out' and showed plenty of courage and class in his first few games
Bartel was in and out of the side in his first few years and in 04 (which would have been his 3rd year) things were looking very shaky when he was dropped for an extended period of time and told to work on fundamental issues in his game. He ended up being one of our best players when he returned but at the time when he was in the VFL it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that his place on our list was far from assured.

Taylor has been a role player this year particularly tagging and pretty well for someone with no grounding in tagging. If Scott wasn't happy he would have been dropped or made sub. Like a select few on here I'm willing to be patient.

Dont deny he's had a few clangers - but who hasn't. And i've given the laptop a serve when he's done it too...

To counter the clangers - anyone remember who went onto Mitchell in the 2nd /2 of the end 2 game after he had 20 odd possies in the first 1/2 and kept him to 9 of the rest of the game?

I'll accept the clangers for now and in the future. He has shown plenty and played the role the team has asked him to - and done it successfully against several elite mids. He will get better as he goes past 50 games. Need we dicsuss some others who have "bloomed" recently...

Hawkins, Tom; Lonergan, Tom, to name a few. We have been blessed with a several instant impact youngsters that is well outside the norm - Bundy, Menzel, Vardy etc

Vardy didn't have nearly the impact people like to think. Menzel I'd say yes, Christensen was more a gradual improvement as last season wore on into this one.

Yeah i think the Vardy hype goes a tad overboard at times, he showed a few good flashes but was invisible in quite a few of his games as well. Not saying he wont be a good player, but hasnt really shown anything other than a couple of glimpses here and there.

Yeah i think the Vardy hype goes a tad overboard at times, he showed a few good flashes but was invisible in quite a few of his games as well. Not saying he wont be a good player, but hasnt really shown anything other than a couple of glimpses here and there.

True.

I guess there's two types of hype, justified hype and hype based on potential. Vardy certainly being the latter.

In that respect I don't necessarily see it as people overrating him as such, it's just they can see a tremendous upside/future for him.

Agree, but it seems the longer he has gone without playing, the bigger gun he is...:D

Taylor Hunt has been overrated on this board no doubt, he really should be putting out more consistent performances by now. The players he's tagged get plenty of it and at times he looks lost.

Everyone making a Bartel comparison but how about Tenace? He got that many chances over 2-3 years and never produced. Some guys just never make the step up.. THunt could go either way.

Taylor Hunt has been overrated on this board no doubt, he really should be putting out more consistent performances by now. The players he's tagged get plenty of it and at times he looks lost.

Everyone making a Bartel comparison but how about Tenace? He got that many chances over 2-3 years and never produced. Some guys just never make the step up.. THunt could go either way.

He won't be Tenace but not Jimmy either. Get you point but more Lingy/ Wojo than blackjack...

Go Catters

I'm in the middle with the THunt discussion. Reckon he has been better than last year - so he has made some progress.

He will not be the footballer Bundy, Duncan or Menzel will be. They will probably be guns.

THunt will be a solid footballer who will do a good job for us consistently - as he gets more AFL time.

There is a possibility with all the talent at Catland presently THUNT may yet be over taken by Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, McCarthy, Cowan, Guthrie or Sheringham. Or even make way for Boak !

Time will tell but think he will be there in this year's finals.

of course he could... but how about we wait til he has gone one of those two ways, then call it?

tommy H looked lost at times last year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back