Taylor Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Average player, turn-over king. runs around in circles protecting space while his opponent towels us up. No chance for the flag with him in the team

Average player, turn-over king. runs around in circles protecting space while his opponent towels us up. No chance for the flag with him in the team

The same thing was said about Varcoe and Blake in 09 and probably a handful of other premiership players from this era.

Hunt's better then you're making him out to be.

Average post. Developing nicely, still working on his decision making, but once he gets a better feel for the speed of the game, will be a 150 plus player.

Doing a difficult job and doing it well.
Those who knock him should go back and read their previous opinions of Lonergan, Varcoe and Hawkins.
Awful lot of deja-vu going on.
Taylor Hunt will be in our next premiership team.

People keep exaggerating about how we'd have delisted half our premiership players before they ever became such, if we hadn't been patient with them, but they fail to acknowledge that in most cases, the blokes who took a bit longer were either key position players, or players who struggled for reasons not relating to innate football ability (i.e. they had the skills, just not the mental application of physical conditioning). Hawkins, Lonergan and Varcoe all fit into these categories.

I'm not saying Hunt won't make it, just that concerns about his prospects are justified based on what we've seen thus far. He is performing a difficult role at the moment, and doing reasonable well, however he undoubtedly has limitations in terms of his skill and decision making. Given this is his 4th year and hasn't seemed to improve in the latter regard, I for one am not hopeful that he'll ever be more than a useful player capable of playing a set role.

Bartel was in and out of the side in his first few years and in 04 (which would have been his 3rd year) things were looking very shaky when he was dropped for an extended period of time and told to work on fundamental issues in his game. He ended up being one of our best players when he returned but at the time when he was in the VFL it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that his place on our list was far from assured.

Taylor has been a role player this year particularly tagging and pretty well for someone with no grounding in tagging. If Scott wasn't happy he would have been dropped or made sub. Like a select few on here I'm willing to be patient.

If Bartel was close to getting 'turfed out', as the post I quoted stated, I'll eat my left nut. I recall he was patchy for a while in his 3rd year, but he was still a young player with skill and a lot to work with.

Re Hunt, the concern for me is that skill-wise he doesn't appear to have a lot to work with. But don't mistake my reservation for impatience. I'm happy for the club to persist with him in this role, and haven't ruled out the possibility of him improving gradually in all areas of his game and eventually becoming a good player. I just find many posts in this thread to be highly exaggerated, with respect to half our current premiership players being not much better than Taylor Hunt when they had played 37 games.

Bartel was never close to being turfed out, I have information that when we got ottens Melbourne asked Geelong for either enright, bartel, Kelly, moloney and Geelong were very quick to say moloney, coz they rated the other 3 highly
Tenace was in that list of who Melbourne wanted. Even back then, many of us preferred Moloney, but Tenace was kept and proved to be one that did not quite make it. T Hunt was hardly a regular last year, and we're expecting him to fill the boots of Ling. Now. Big ask. He shows plenty in many areas- speed, running goals, tackling, aggression, all this year, I can only see upside. Once he believes in himself maybe, will definitely be in best 22.

Year Kicks H/balls Disp DE% Clang
TOT AVG TOT AVG TOT AVG TOT AVG
2012 120 7.1 136 8 256 15.1 72 1.9
2011 103 7.9 82 6.3 185 14.2 73 2.4
2010 63 9 44 6.3 107 15.3 79 1.3

Career 286 7.7 262 7.1 548 14.8 73.5 2

Doesn't seem too bad.

seems like he'll be a good average player at best, think he'll end up being the sort of guy who gets to about 80 games before being replaced

I must not be watching the same games as some of you lot....

For mine THunt has been really good this year, I have been really wrapped with his performances.

And for those of you questioning his disposal....how many has Selwood passed directly to opponents in the last few matches??? Not bagging him as it can happen to anyone in a high tempo high pressure game, but just an example, that even the best make mistakes!!!!

I know this is a forum and we must have a whipping boy for some reason, but until you find out what he has been told to do and rate him on that you have no idea. He must be well regarded in the club otherwise he wouldn't be playing.

There are certainly others in the team that have struggled over the year even some of our established stars but there are none of whom I would question effort.

Some of you really have been spoilt, give the guy a chance.

For mine THunt has been really good this year, I have been really wrapped with his performances.

And for those of you questioning his disposal....how many has Selwood passed directly to opponents in the last few matches??? Not bagging him as it can happen to anyone in a high tempo high pressure game, but just an example, that even the best make mistakes!!!!

I know this is a forum and we must have a whipping boy for some reason, but until you find out what he has been told to do and rate him on that you have no idea. He must be well regarded in the club otherwise he wouldn't be playing.

There are certainly others in the team that have struggled over the year even some of our established stars but there are none of whom I would question effort.

totally agree with you. I can't believe the attack some posters make on developing players. I hope that this thread is bounced in a couple of years.

Excellent post.

One of the most encouraging things I see at the club right now is the form, and steady improvement, of just about every young player on our list. Every one of them is asked to do a role and by and large in the seniors this year they've done it.

Taylor Hunt has been good. I think people underestimate what a difficult role tagging is. He's had no experience in it prior to this year - he was a half back flanker. Even last week although he didn't get much of the ball himself, and he did make a couple of errors, Whitecross had nowhere near his usual effect. I think Scott would give his game a tick based purely on that. Just as we used to do with Ling.

It's normal to be a little wary about how good the young guys are going to be. Reality says a good portion won't make it. But in the time I've been watching Geelong, I honestly cannot remember a period like the last 1-2 years where seemingly every single youngster coming through looks not just solid, but very talented. Christensen and Duncan helped contribute to a premiership, and are better this year. As did Menzel before his knee injury. West gave Ottens invaluable support and has improved again. Smedts showed an early hiccup, but has just oozed class in his last couple of games. Motlop has gotten better. Guthrie is going to get to 50 games without us noticing. Horlin-Smith was calm enough to bang through a brilliant goal with his first kick, and he can't get a game. Brown is being asked to play key defence at reserves level and apparently is thriving. Plus Walker, and Sheringham, and Murdoch. And there's still more to come.

It's not a bad thing to look for deficiences, so players can get better, but honestly Taylor Hunt's down the list of things wrong right now. If the biggest worry we've got is his form we are looking very good for the future.

Add Stringer to that list Partridge - looked really comfortable at the level, no matter what his future holds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He brings more to the side than he detracts from it , and we have no one better to do the job.
Having said that his kicking is not his strength. He has replaced Ling but reminds me more of Wojo and his kicks early in his career.

As other have said we are lucky to have so many quality kids coming thru , but but there is another side to that. The players who get games now doesn't mean they will get game in two years time. So many players are given time and games to make mistakes and learn but all thing must end and eventually , like Clarke, Spriggs, Hogan.... he will either improve or be over taken by others.

But thats down the track. For now we must be patient. It can be frustrating ,watching kids burn you with what seems silly skill errors but its just part of the process building a base of games. Taylor brings brings plenty to the side and we should just try to focus on the positives for the time being.

Add Stringer to that list Partridge - looked really comfortable at the level, no matter what his future holds.

Absolutely...whatever happened off the field should not cloud the fact that he can play. Whether GFC's no dickhead policy excludes him is yet to be seen....

Looked a very good player to me given his inexperience. Would like to see him retained.

He brings more to the side than he detracts from it , and we have no one better to do the job.
Having said that his kicking is not his strength. He has replaced Ling but reminds me more of Wojo and his kicks early in his career.

As other have said we are lucky to have so many quality kids coming thru , but but there is another side to that. The players who get games now doesn't mean they will get game in two years time. So many players are given time and games to make mistakes and learn but all thing must end and eventually , like Clarke, Spriggs, Hogan.... he will either improve or be over taken by others.

But thats down the track. For now we must be patient. It can be frustrating ,watching kids burn you with what seems silly skill errors but its just part of the process building a base of games. Taylor brings brings plenty to the side and we should just try to focus on the positives for the time being.

Taylor Hunt, and most of the kids on our list, are better than those 3. The competition for spots in the next year or so is going to be incredibly tough. Which is great.

I think he's been very good and competitive this year.

I'd usually just scoff at some of you guys whipping the boy, but he has done NOTHING WRONG and you all are going TOO FAR.

Gtfo!

The same thing was said about Varcoe and Blake in 09 and probably a handful of other premiership players from this era.

Hunt's better then you're making him out to be.

This quote below was said about Hawkins late in the 2011 season.

Originally Posted by Cats33
We wont win another game this year if hawkins plays in any of them . Worst tall foward in the league .

Alkanphel your call with SJ 50/50 is spot on mate .

Decent game tonight but still can't kick when it matters.

Also he has a tendency to not chase hard, might be a tank issue though

Can play, and was great tonight.

You know the work rate and the attack on the ball you will get from him.

Nice to see him spend a couple of weeks in the back six to get his run and carry back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back