Team: GF Replay

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure plonking Lockyer into a grand final is a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I love the service Tarks has given us but his last few games he's looked too slow and struggled with the pace - a grand final will only amplify that. I'd honestly prefer Medhurt, even if he has missed more footy...

Agree Lockyer shouldnt play and it would be a step backwards to bring him in. Great stalwart for the club, but he's lost touch with the pace of the game.

1 change barring injuries and Davis out and Goldsack in.

Sam Fisher always tears us apart down in defence, probably why I had $20 @ $55 to win Norm Smith....We need to keep pressure on him inside the 50.

All a mental challeng now and i'm really waiting for the Pies to nuckle down and finish the season for good.....

This isnt the one we let get away, this is a chance to show just how tough mentally, physically and emotionally we are are to slam the gates on our knockers.

I'm not sure plonking Lockyer into a grand final is a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I love the service Tarks has given us but his last few games he's looked too slow and struggled with the pace - a grand final will only amplify that. I'd honestly prefer Medhurt, even if he has missed more footy...

Slow - could probably beat Leon in a foot race at the moment.

At least Tarks would get to the right spots and give us something!

I'd prefer Medhurst as well but he's missed too much footy.

Say Johnson gets cited by the MRP which is the rumour going around.... what are the chances of a debutant Pie getting a game to be the running HBF.... who quite honestly could keep up with one B.Goddard.

In: Presti and Goldsack
Out: N Brown and Davis

I'd have Blair in the outs aswell but you wouldn't want to make that many changes this week and I am not sure our depth is as great as we claim (I wouldn't be bringing in Medders or Tarks this week)

In: Presti and Goldsack
Out: N Brown and Davis

I'd have Blair in the outs aswell but you wouldn't want to make that many changes this week and I am not sure our depth is as great as we claim (I wouldn't be bringing in Medders or Tarks this week)

This sounds fair and also if we win davis and brown will get a premiership medalion according to the AFL.

Unfortunately Presti wont get up.
Goldsack should come in for Leon, but that is tantamount to Mick admitting he made a mistake last week.

Fresh legs may help, love little Blair but has the season gone one week too long for him?

IN: Goldsack, Medhurst
OUT: Davis, Blair

Doubts on Wellingham who had a jab to come back on, if he is not right Blair keeps his spot

I want Goldsack in to take Goddard.

The dilemma i'm having is whether we want to shut down Goddard...or whether we want to keep Davis' X factor up forward.

Honestly I think both could be crucial as 2 pieces of Davis magic could be enough. However, shutting out Goddard wins us the game.

I honestly think we keep both. I'd make a very tough call.

In: Goldsack
Out: Beams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or whether we want to keep Davis' X factor up forward.

Honestly, other then the goal Davis gave nothing. I'd sacrifice him if it meant we bring in the Sack to do a job on Goddard. Goddard is so much more important to the Saints then Davis is to the Pies.

No Change

Goddard or no Goddard... he played at his best

The game was a draw

We only need to improve our disposal and efficiency inside fifty and we will win

Think about how we can improve rather than worrying about one player.

Honestly, other then the goal Davis gave nothing. I'd sacrifice him if it meant we bring in the Sack to do a job on Goddard. Goddard is so much more important to the Saints then Davis is to the Pies.

There was also that brilliant crumb and handball to Thomas who should've kicked the goal.

Though quiet, those 2 pieces of play alone nearly won us the game.

Beams had 3 kicks, Blair 5. So at least Davis had some scoreboard impact. Blair also kicked a goal, and nearly kicked another...so he had some impact.

So Davis shouldn't be the only one highlighted.

This, Leon is just a waste of space he doesnt apply preasure he doesnt do much at all, his GF record is terrible at least with Goldsack you know if you give him a job he will do it and he will be fired up after missing one grand final and I think he will perform very well. That change MUST happen. If Leon is in the team I think we are stuffed.

We will smash them next week, game should of been over by 3/4 time IMHO

We need to get our running game going through the middle again, to many times players where running on their own we need the SWARM back

Out: Davis
In: Goldsack

No room for passengers in grand finals, and although i love Leon when hes on song he has proved to us time and time again that he cannot get the job done when it matters most in finals. I thought he was lucky to receive a reprieve in the first GF, he had his chance to prove us all wrong, but apart from his nice goal in the last did nothing to suggest he should be in the team next weekend.

With Goldsack you know you know what you are going to get, when at his best Tysons attack on the ball is second to none. When he was playing some good games during the back end of the season i thought he made us a better, tougher and more physical side. His last few games haven't been at his best but i have no doubt in my mind that if he was given the chance in a GF you would get a desperate performance, and i think he is the type of player that would relish the GF experience, it would bring out the best in him. Would be an option to run with Goddard in what would be a tough ask but no doubt one he would be up for.

Others who came under consideration for recall are:
Lockyer - A very consistent performer over the journey, ultra reliable and an accurate shot for goal which is something we lack. He provides experience and knows this could be his last chance before retirement. On the flipside Tarkyn has not played for quite a while and its hard to pick up the pace and touch of the game especially at his age. There is no room for giving games in Grand Finals due to a player being a stellar clubmen and unfortunately i think the game has passed Lockyer by and i would leave him out.

Medhurst - Has an ability to win a match of his own boot, is a reliable shot for goal. Has a degree of X factor to his game that could come in handy if Davis is excluded. Again like Lockyer has not been in the side for a long period of time so its hard to make a significant contribution as he will be lacking touch, has failed to get back to the his 2008 form which made him one of the first players selected on the team sheet that year.

The Presti debate:
Many posters here and the media are suggesting Presti may come in for Brown, and before the drawn GF i was one of those who wanted him in the side. After the weekend though i have swung the other way and want Nathan Brown to stay in. Brown did well on Reiwoldt, and im aware he has a massive challenge on his hands to nullify the champ again on the weekend, however he has not put a foot wrong all finals series and has earnt his spot, is fit firing and raring to go. Presti is lacking match practice, whilst Nathan Brown has that youthful exuberance, is up for the challenge and will hopefully again be able to hold his own. Bringing in an ageing Presti who is still recovering from injury would be a massive risk at this stage in my opinion.

Again like Lockyer has not been in the side for a long period of time so its hard to make a significant contribution as he will be lacking touch

I don't think being out for so long is as big a problem as it seems. Baker was out for over 12 weeks and came in and played a reasonable game. Players that come in for one game usually can compete but, it is sustaining that intensity for over a couple of weeks (after a prolonged period on the side-lines) is where some players fail. So Medhurst may be alright if selected but, Baker may not.

It depends on the player and the role they are playing

Baker had an easy role, shut down Leon on GF day :D

Medhurst struggle to get up to tempo in a regular season game and probably would have been better for another run or 2, he was sensational next week in the VFL as he always was.

But Tarkyn probably only needs to find it 5-6 times and he might kick 3 goals and he is a match winner, Mehurst possibly the same as even his 1 game was better than Leons finals efforts, but if taking the risk with 1 I would go Tarks

Anyway only change I would go for is Davis out for Goldsack, the Sack is perfect for Goddard

I don't think being out for so long is as big a problem as it seems. Baker was out for over 12 weeks and came in and played a reasonable game. Players that come in for one game usually can compete but, it is sustaining that intensity for over a couple of weeks (after a prolonged period on the side-lines) is where some players fail. So Medhurst may be alright if selected but, Baker may not.

Fair point, i guess it depends on the player to extent also. From what i have seen, the times Medhurst and Lockyer have been out for extended periods and have come back in i have felt they have been a little bit off the pace, and have fumbled alot more than usual. It is a distinct possibility that it may again take time to adjust to the pace of AFL footy especially with pressure being up a few notches as it is a GF. Hence i would not bring either back and opt for Goldsack instead.

If Malthouse wanted to go like for like, out of the two mentioned Medders and Tarkyn i would bring in Medhurst because he has more X factor and is just as good kick for goal and is a better overhead mark.

out of the two mentioned Medders and Tarkyn i would bring in Medhurst because he has more X factor and is just as good kick for goal and is a better overhead mark.

I agree - but I'm a Medders fanboi :p Looking forward to seeing the team this Thursday. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no change either.

In my oppinion the side stays.
Nathan Brown did fantastic, Majority of Riewoldts possesions were up the field, He deserves to play again.
As for Leon Davis, I think he should stay, Yes he only had the 6 Disposals, but considering Leons first kick shouldve been payed a Travis Cloke mark 10 metres out, Leons handball to Daisy should've been another easy goal and the fact that Leon was treated unfairly by the Umpires!
There were at least 2 clear frees for Leon, which most likely would've ended up as goals.
If Leon were to get replaced who by?
Tyson Goldsack: No way he could stop Goddard, and is not much better then an Out-of-form Davis at getting possessions.
Tarkyn Lockyer: Reliable kick for goal and would give it 100%, but after being out of the game for that long, I dont see him doing well.
Medhurst: Been playing well at VFL, but same as Lockyer, he's been out for too long.
Think about it this way, Leon stopped us from losing, kicking a MAGNIFICANT goal out of nothing! Clean Pickup, dodged and weaved, and snapped truly.
In my oppinion I thought Leon put in a fair bit of effort! Unrewarded chasing.
Leon played for about 52% of the game (Only Gardiner played less) and racked up 6 disposals, and kicked a goal when we NEEDED IT!
Leon is a player that could FIRE in the last qtr and kick goals no one else could. He brings the "X" Factor that we need in a GF.
Mick has to play him!

Yet again, Leon Davis is my favourite player, and my oppinions BIAS.

Also, for Jarryd Blair, I cant see him being replaced, He's only a rookie, goes in for the hard ball, evasive, quick paced, and he even kicked a goal.

Wellingham didn't have too much of an impact either,
If I were Mick, I'd change Leon and Wellingham.
Leon played his best bit of football as a Forward,Midfielder.

my concerns are:

Pendles - havn't seen much of him in media etc.
Wellingham - as above - and there was a big write up on him in the West Australian today having to be in a hyperbaric chamber this week again to get over ankle injury.

Without these two i don't believe we can win.

The rest I have faith in our coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team: GF Replay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back