Remove this Banner Ad

The Panther

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Ohio State Buckeye
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's 5 players they have signed exclusively from the APS. I know of at least 2 others (1 at XC & 1 at SKC) that have been offered contracts from GWS straight from the APS (Year 11, 10).

Crafty recruiting & I wonder if Interstate clubs, or even some Victorian ones, are aware of this direct type of recruiting.

APS has alot of the good players because they get scholarshiped. Its less often than not that they have talent join them in year 7 they usually come in year 10. Look at Goddard and Cyril both were scholarshipped and then people like chris judd and jobe watson were there from year 7. Everybody knows aps has top quality kids.

Sorry for the ignorance guys but who are APS?
Dont ask me what it stands for but it's basically the school sport league for some of Victoria's big private schools
(Xavier College, Scotch College, Caulfield Grammar, St Kevins College, Wesley College, Melbourne Grammar, Brighton Grammar, Geelong College, Geelong Grammar & Carey Grammar)

Stands for Associated Private Schools. I was part of the Wesley College premiership winning team this year, yet we are the only school from the APS without somebody getting drafted, riddle me that?

Stands for Australian Private Schools. I was part of the Wesley College premiership winning team this year, yet we are the only school from the APS without somebody getting drafted, riddle me that?

Obviously didn't have enough players doing self-serving grandstanding to catch the eye of recruiters. ;)

Stands for Associated Private Schools. I was part of the Wesley College premiership winning team this year, yet we are the only school from the APS without somebody getting drafted, riddle me that?

Wrong, it's a common misconception that the 'P' stands for private when in fact it follows English tradition and is Associated Public Schools.

Dont ask me what it stands for but it's basically the school sport league for some of Victoria's big private schools
(Xavier College, Scotch College, Caulfield Grammar, St Kevins College, Wesley College, Melbourne Grammar, Brighton Grammar, Geelong College, Geelong Grammar & Carey Grammar)

and Haileybury College

That's 5 players they have signed exclusively from the APS. I know of at least 2 others (1 at XC & 1 at SKC) that have been offered contracts from GWS straight from the APS (Year 11, 10).

Crafty recruiting & I wonder if Interstate clubs, or even some Victorian ones, are aware of this direct type of recruiting.

Who are the 5??? I know of Golds, Bugg and Shiel- who are the others.
The majority of the kids are scholarshiped at yr 10 by the schools, primarily Caulfield Grammar. (i.e. Goddard, Eddy, Zieball etc)
Shiel attended St. Bedes where a lot of boys get poached on sporting scholarships by Aps schools.

I think that you will find that the kids didnt get signed from APS but rather from there performances at the State 16's Championship held in NSW at the GWS ground in 2009 deliberately to showcase the state and have the kids who could first be pre selected playing at the champs. The 16's were then held there the next year(current year) 2010 as well and for basically the same reasons.
Good planning from the AFL and the GWS franchise.
By the way Shiel and Treloar from Vic Country were outstanding at these champs along with quite a few SA and WA boys

I think that you will find that the kids didnt get signed from APS but rather from there performances at the State 16's Championship held in NSW

No, I know some that didn't even play in these championships. Kids are being picked out in Year 10 & Year 11 in the APS by GWS & being told not to bother with their TAC clubs.

I don't get why GWS would do that, or why it is crafty recruitment. GWS has a limited number of 17 year olds it can recruit. Surely their aim is to recruit the best possible dozen. Why does it benefit them targetting APS players, if that is indeed what they are doing? What am I missing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Shiel is a great get by GWS! The kid looks like an absolute gun, reminds me of Judd but with a better kick!

Does anyone know what pick/round he would have been taken in the draft next year if he wasn't recruited by GWS??

I think that you will find that the kids didnt get signed from APS but rather from there performances at the State 16's Championship held in NSW at the GWS ground in 2009 deliberately to showcase the state and have the kids who could first be pre selected playing at the champs. The 16's were then held there the next year(current year) 2010 as well and for basically the same reasons.
Good planning from the AFL and the GWS franchise.
By the way Shiel and Treloar from Vic Country were outstanding at these champs along with quite a few SA and WA boys

Think you may find these guys scholarshipped by Caulfield have been AA
at under 15 championships.

Dylan Shiel is a great get by GWS! The kid looks like an absolute gun, reminds me of Judd but with a better kick!

Does anyone know what pick/round he would have been taken in the draft next year if he wasn't recruited by GWS??
Sheil's probably the best junior I've seen - compared to Scully, Ziebell, Watts, Murphy, Vickery, Otten etc, who I'd seen first hand very frequently before they were picked up.

Will do some serious damage.

Think you may find these guys scholarshipped by Caulfield have been AA
at under 15 championships.

Exactly talented kids who played State Schoolboys in Melb. Played very well only natural for the APS and over here in the West our Private School system also snap them up for scholarships.
Its even done earlier than that. The kids who do well at early entry levels of school get noted and often are targeted by the private schools and get offered scholarships - kids would be foolish not to take that opportunity.

The kids being signed to GWS were all brought under the one umbrella at the 16's specifically at that venue to be directly targeted

Sheil's probably the best junior I've seen - compared to Scully, Ziebell, Watts, Murphy, Vickery, Otten etc, who I'd seen first hand very frequently before they were picked up.

Will do some serious damage.

Sheil and Treloar were very very good at the Championship.

The best junior ive ever seen ( which doesnt correlate to making it) is David Swallow who at 16 was the best player at the 18's Championship

Love how he plays for vic-country but played for edithvale-aspendale, hardly a rural area whatsoever for those not from melbourne.

Good footballer, shocking bloke.

Love how he plays for vic-country but played for edithvale-aspendale, hardly a rural area whatsoever for those not from melbourne.

Hawthorn built a dynasty on Metropolitan 'country zones'

Dandenong is Vic Country now, so that designation doesn't really indicate coming from a rural area - They changed Dandenong to Vic Country to make the numbers for Country/Metro more even.

Team GWS - Team APS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back