team lineup...

Remove this Banner Ad

stalker

Rookie
Sep 29, 2003
Other Teams
Bulldogs
I know this gets a bit overdone but I would really like to see how people would like to see the Bulldogs line up for the Wizard Cup;

My line-up is...

B: Hargrave Croft Robbins
HB: Power Grant Smith
C: Murphy West Gilbee
HF: Johnson Rawlings Bowden
F: Koops Bandy Garlick
R: Darcy Birss Giansiracusa

Inter: Street, Hahn, Faulkner, Harris

Aside from the midfield which looks very bare, I am also concerned about the fullback. It's stupid to put Ray or Cooney in the team right now as I have never seen them play...

Originally posted by stalker

My line-up is...

No Wayde Skipper in the 22 - interesting because I'm starting to wonder where he will slot in this year. Probably helped him last year with a lack of talls and also he is capable of rucking if need be. But this year with a heap of talls back and Darcy, Street and even Bandy as ruck options he won't be needed in that role and with Grant, Rawlings into that side as well there is a lot more height in the spine.

Re: Re: team lineup...

Originally posted by footyman
No Wayde Skipper in the 22 - interesting because I'm starting to wonder where he will slot in this year. Probably helped him last year with a lack of talls and also he is capable of rucking if need be. But this year with a heap of talls back and Darcy, Street and even Bandy as ruck options he won't be needed in that role and with Grant, Rawlings into that side as well there is a lot more height in the spine.
I'm a bit of a fan of his.
Skipper's role has been discussed a few times and its still very much up in the air.
Some people are saying as CHB(although has hardly played here at VFL level), others as pinch hit ruck but most say will need to find his possie at Werribee.
There will be a number of talls at Werribee (bulldog and non bulldog listed) that will be playing 2nds.

Originally posted by stalker
I know this gets a bit overdone but I would really like to see how people would like to see the Bulldogs line up for the Wizard Cup;

My line-up is...

Aside from the midfield which looks very bare, I am also concerned about the fullback. It's stupid to put Ray or Cooney in the team right now as I have never seen them play...
It will be clearer after the practice match next week. However, just a few points:

- Gilbee may not be ready for the first match as he is still training with the injuried group last friday. Eagle will play instead.
- swap Harris and Croft
- Cooney to replace Garlick, they will try him out as a leading foward and in the midfield as well

No offence to Skip- he needs more game time- but Ive never seen him do much except a headless chook impression on the field in the seniors. I can put that down to awe of the occasion maybe.

Anyone tell me what his form's like in the ressies?

Originally posted by stefoid
No offence to Skip- he needs more game time- but Ive never seen him do much except a headless chook impression on the field in the seniors. I can put that down to awe of the occasion maybe.

Anyone tell me what his form's like in the ressies?

Was OK in patches but never dominated a game.

Only got a game because we were so light on for talls.

I don't see a position for Skip.

B: Koops, Harris, Hargrave
HB: Smith, Grant, McGuinness
C: Murphy, West, Power
HF: Robbins, Bandy, McMahon
F: Johnson, Rawlings, Giansiracusa
R: Darcy, Hahn, Eagleton
I: Street, Cooney, Faulkner, Walsh, Birss, Cross.

Scooter,

I'm a little surprised to see McGuinness as the starting HB, is that based on a gut feel for the Wiz Cup ?
I would have thought that there would be a couple of players ahead of him at the moment.
Also I'm fairly sure that Hahn wont be playing.

It's a long season so I would rest some of the older guys and those who have had injury troubles.

My side would be

B: Hargrave, Harris, Cross

HB: Smith, Morgan, Koops

C: Power, Murphy, Gilbee

HF: Giansiracusa, Bandy, Johnson

F: McGuinness, Rawlings, Robbins

R: Darcy, West, Eagleton

Int: Street, Bowden, Birss, Faulkner, Skipper, Cooney

Originally posted by OldSchool
Scooter,

I'm a little surprised to see McGuinness as the starting HB, is that based on a gut feel for the Wiz Cup ?
I would have thought that there would be a couple of players ahead of him at the moment.
Also I'm fairly sure that Hahn wont be playing.

I'm a huge wrap for McGuinness.

Think back to the game he played against Collingwood, R22, 2002. It was about his 3rd game and his judgement about when to leave his man and when to play tight, or when to punch and when to mark was spot on.

I loved the way he floated across the pack to mark when 3rd man up. Forget playing him as a forward, this kid will be a top (tallish) half-back.

Originally posted by scooter600x

Think back to the game he played against Collingwood, R22, 2002. It was about his 3rd game and his judgement about when to leave his man and when to play tight, or when to punch and when to mark was spot on.

I loved the way he floated across the pack to mark when 3rd man up. Forget playing him as a forward, this kid will be a top (tallish) half-back.

I remember the game well, he was fantastic across half back and I think right now he is a better defender than he is forward.
In another season or two I think he will be as good in the forward line.

I still cannot get him into the team based on last seasons form, perhaps Saturday's practice game will be a good chance to gauge his worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by scooter600x

He definetly has natural instincts playing in both positions and his reading of the play means he can play at both ends.He has stated he sees himself as a future CHB so he will be itching to get a shot down back.

Just had a crack at putting together a team and its near on impossible so you would reckon the pre season games are going to have a big impact on who starts in round 1.Just one point on the team posted earlier in the thread.I am getting the feeling Croft will play forward when Darcy is in the ruck (majority IMO) because they play very similar roles when they are forward.Both are predominantly body on body players and both will play deep.It means we wont lose to much from the set up during all the rotations.

This is the type of team I would be looking to play in the opening match.

B: Robbins, Bassett, Hargrave
HB: Smith, Harris, Koops
C: Murphy, West, Eagleton
HF: Bowden, Rawlings, Johnson
F: Cooney, Bandy, Faulkner
R: Darcy, Giansiracusa, Birss

Inter: Street, Power, Cross, Morgan, Gilbee, McGuinness

B: Robbins, Bassett, Hargrave
HB: Smith, Harris, Koops
C: Murphy, West, Eagleton
HF: Bowden, Rawlings, Johnson
F: Cooney, Bandy, Faulkner
R: Darcy, Giansiracusa, Birss
Inter: Street, Power, Cross, Morgan, Gilbee, McGuinness
Obviously you are trying to preserve Grant and Croft.

Richmond forward line did kill us last time and our backline looks a bit vulnerable. I suppose you have Rawling and Morgan as insurance.

Originally posted by Ching
Obviously you are trying to preserve Grant and Croft.

Richmond forward line did kill us last time and our backline looks a bit vulnerable. I suppose you have Rawling and Morgan as insurance.

Was tempted to play Grant but if he wasn't having hamstring problems atm I think I would have selected him.
I think Croft is still training with the injured group as well with Hahn and McMahon.
Bandy is a chance to play as a defender especially if Street does OK in the ruck and Darcy goes forward.
We have plenty of tall options that I couldn't select like Skipper, Harrison and Wiggins so we could juggle the team around if necessary.

I'd have Robbins having first crack at Browny as well.

Bandy is a chance to play as a defender

I reckon that Bandy will spend more time back than forward this season. Its a fit thing, he fits there when taller players are playing down forward. In our ideal team if Darcy is in the ruck, Rawlings, Bowden and probably Croft in the forward line then Bandy I see as a spare man in the backline.

Do you think Tim Walsh may get in the line up for the game against Richmond? He was the No 4 pick last year in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

team lineup...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back