C: Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Shaun Higgins, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C: Will Minson, Sam Reid, Easton Wood, Liam Picken
Emg: Nathan Eagleton, Brennan Stack, Tom Williams

In: Higgins, Reid, Ward
Out: Brennan Stack, Josh Hill, Nathan Eagleton

Wow, this ought to make a LOT of people happy :)

We have picked a tough side for a tough game. The Hawks are going to throw everything at us physically so I'm glad we've got Ward and Reid in the side. Along with Boyd, Cooney, Cross and Picken we are looking as hard in the middle as any side. Although I've been critical of him Hill is unlucky.

Also a little worried about Reid's fitness. I thought he was only plodding a couple of weeks ago for Willy.

Am preparing for Griff to do a job on Hodge tomorrow night.

Go Scraggers!

That's a ripping set of ins.

Stack and Hill just don't deserve their places at the minute. Eagleton is unlucky, but I would have any of Ward, Higgins or Reid over him any day.

Given the weather conditions that is expected tomorrow night, the selections seem common sense. It might be a game of attrition so the bigger bodies will play a part and pace and height won't be so much of a factor.

It would be interesting to know if they would have chosen the same in's and out's if it was a dry day. There is three slowish players coming in for three quicker players. We will find out in the next weeks I guess.

How good is it though to have the problem of who to pick. Have a look at our emergencies, there is a lot of depth in our team at the moment and a real battle for spots which is great to see.

Good luck to Ward and Reid. Always good to see the young talent getting a run :) Also really happy that they retained Easton Wood. He deserved it.

soooo happy with that. actually cant get better.
josh hill FINALLY dropped. he was never going to be able to man up to the physicality of what the contest will be tomorrow night. great to see wardy and higgo back in. bad luck for ego, but someone had to make way.

and the fact that tommy williams named as an emergeny shows hes up and good but maybe needs a week in the VFL

I too like the inns....disappointed for Eages as I think he's still a good player and none of the ins replace what he brings to the table. But having said that....Ward and Reid like peas in a pod will give a contest and Ward is class.

Higgo...well he's a jet just hope he can get some form back. It's a most interesting team this week. We look better balanced with the extra true mids, relieved we didn't rush Tommy back, with Wood in the team we have a very offensive back line so we just need Lake and Chipper to bring it to ground enough times. I think their defense is not their strong suit. Top midfield and a very dangerous forward line, whereas I think we are pretty solid all over, without the superstars they have. Be interesting to see what we do. Lake will play on Franklin when he is deep...but up the ground...maybe Murph or Hargrave. Picken will take Rioli, though he's been taking Bateman. Sammy Reid might get a job...and then of course they have Hodge roaming about.

They will worry about Hall....they don't have an obvious match up for him. We have an extra mid this week (about time). But they will be worried about Cooney and Griffen for sure. But I think, if we are to win, it will come from our run and use of the ball from defense, Murphy, Gilbee, Harbrow, Hargrave and Wood. Expect Hahn to float back at times. Harbrow to play in the middle also at times. I don't want to see him play on Rioli.... Osbourne is the other one who is in form...I think we'll be mindful of him....

Hard game...Hawks I think have the edge still despite what they will tell you over on their board, based on winning form. I expect it to be really physical...the inclusions signal that Eade expects that and now that Ward and Reid are in that's a great challenge combined with Cross and Boyd. I suspect we have an edge in the ruck....and while I love skip as a player I hope he just has an ok night....Buddy and Roughy well they are the ones...lets face it. If they have a big night we'll be in strife...and it why I think they just have the edge.

Very much looking forward to this game...especially with the inclusions.

Higgins is a very very lucky man

Hasnt played a decent game all year and gets straight back :thumbsdown:

Just a little worried about lack of tall options in the backline considering what they did against us in the 2008 prelim.

Apart from that it is great to see Sam Reid get the opportunity, I have liked what I seen from him last year

I suspect we have an edge in the ruck....and while I love skip as a player I hope he just has an ok night.

Skip really has something to play for in this game. Not just to show us that he's good enough to play AFL level but that he's a better choice than Hudson or Minson. They had better be on their game!

I'm pleased to see all the ins but surprised that MC are bringing all three of them in at once after injury. Would have expected maybe two this week and two (incl Williams) next week. Slight risk there but their quality should overcome that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer if Higgins was played into form in the VFL. He has been rusty all year (granted, he's been carrying an injury) and I'd actually prefer playing Hill to provide another marking forward.

Who knows though, maybe Missy will prove me wrong and tear apart the game.

I'd prefer if Higgins was played into form in the VFL. He has been rusty all year (granted, he's been carrying an injury) and I'd actually prefer playing Hill to provide another marking forward.

Who knows though, maybe Missy will prove me wrong and tear apart the game.

its worth the risk putting him straight back in, rather than keeping in brennan stack, imo. good chance it was injury anyway

Hey guys,

good to see both sides at full strength, no excuses for either side. Hope its a good hard yet clean game. i Have a lot of time for the bulldogs.

I hope skipper plays well, not sure what your thoughts are on him but he has been handy for us since he's come into our side. Fights hard and i've been pleasantly surpised by his skills, seems a pretty tidy kick.

anyway all the best and lets hope for no injuries either way. hopefully it's not the last game we play this year.

Hey guys,

good to see both sides at full strength, no excuses for either side. Hope its a good hard yet clean game. i Have a lot of time for the bulldogs.

I hope skipper plays well, not sure what your thoughts are on him but he has been handy for us since he's come into our side. Fights hard and i've been pleasantly surpised by his skills, seems a pretty tidy kick.

anyway all the best and lets hope for no injuries either way. hopefully it's not the last game we play this year.

Still missing 2, Aker, Williams

Isn’t it funny how some players are favored more than others at clubs? Its happened for years at clubs and happens today at the bulldogs.

A player who has been terrible all year and has had injury problem and is not in our top 5 at the club comes straight back in when others would need to go through the Willy.

Overall strong side yet no pace up forward. Eade has the second half of the season to add pace, bite, spark and general defensive pressure to our forward. Its our weakness and he hasn’t done anything yet.

Higgins is a very very lucky man

Hasnt played a decent game all year and gets straight back :thumbsdown:

i agree - if the coaching staff were half serious, he would have to prove himself as he hasnt done diddly squat this year

as for the other outs with stack and hill, good move , although eagle is unlucky

Overall strong side yet no pace up forward. Eade has the second half of the season to add pace, bite, spark and general defensive pressure to our forward. Its our weakness and he hasn’t done anything yet.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the side. The forward line named on paper looks unbelievably slow. And then you add Aker to that forward line as well.

I don't mind it so much for this game because it will be wet and a slog of a game, so it is a good side picked for the conditions. But coming closer to the finals, we really need to add some pace to our forward line IMO.

The good thing at the moment is that we have huge depth and choices of players to pick from. I wouldn't be surprised Hill to do his punishment at Williamstown and be back in the side in a week or two. He is second on our goal kicking at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team vs the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back