Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-16/nab-challenge-squads-freo-v-west-coast

WEST COAST
1. Mitch Brown, 2. Mark LeCras, 4. Dom Sheed, 5. Brad Sheppard, 6. Elliott Yeo, 7. Chris Masten, 10. Scott Selwood, 11. Matt Priddis, 12. Sharrod Wellingham, 13. Luke Shuey, 15. Jamie Cripps, 16. Eric MacKenzie, 17. Josh Kennedy, 18. Xavier Ellis, 20. Dean Cox, 22. Callum Sinclair, 23. Darren Glass, 24. Matt Rosa, 25. Shannon Hurn, 26. Sam Butler, 27. Jack Darling, 29. Scott Lycett, 31. Will Schofield, 32. Simon Tunbridge, 33. Josh Hill, 34. Mark Hutchings, 35. Patrick McGinnity, 38. Murray Newman, 44. Jamie Bennell

FREMANTLE
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 3. Zac Dawson, 4. Colin Sylvia, 6. Danyle Pearce, 7. Nat Fyfe, 9. Matt de Boer, 10. Michael Walters, 11. Tommy Sheridan, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 14. Josh Simpson, 16. David Mundy, 17. Hayden Crozier, 18. Luke McPharlin, 19. Scott Gumbleton, 20. Matt Taberner, 21. Michael Barlow, 22. Tanner Smith, 24. Max Duffy, 25. Alex Pearce, 27. Lachie Neale, 29. Matthew Pavlich, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 32. Stephen Hill, 34. Lee Spurr, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Jack Hannath, 39. Sam Menegola, 41. Paul Duffield, 46. Clancee Pearce.

Initial squads of 29 announced, cut down to 26 tomorrow.

6 players on the bench and 2 subs.

Well it looks as though they have gone best available, whilst we have as well (I guess).

However we have Max Duffy, Sam Menegola,Tanner Smith and Josh Simpson who I think may not make the final 26.

Unless we have an injury cloud around some others.

We have missing Griffin, Mayne, Ibbotson, Crowley, Bradley, Suban, Clarke, Morabito.

Anyone else I have missed?

Last edited:
Impossible and a waste of time to preview any game Lyon is coaching in the NAB. As he showed us last season he feels quite free to use it to test out game plan and structures and to see how individuals perform under pressure. Those kind of things are more important to him than any result.

From the players however I expect a different attitude. Quite a few blokes in that squad will want to perform well and they will be out to show their stuff, and their ability to play the role that the coach has given them. For a couple of them (eg Duffy, Simpson, Menagola) it is a chance to show why they are worth being kept on the list. For others it is a chance to keep pressure on the 22. In fact, for the majority of the rest of that list it will at least be an aspect of the game. Being in form is going to be your friend in a squad with the depth ours has.

In terms of WC I must admit I am a little interested to see how a new coach is going with that squad, and especially if he has managed to do something about their skills. I am curious to get a look at Sheed, Turnbridge and Ellis, after that, meh.

Is Newman on remand?

We have six players I would class as no chance for round 1. How many do they have in that boat?
Our best 22 is a little unknown given the new coach. Simpson has talked up Ellis, Sheed and Tunbridge pre season. But those three plus Yeo, Hutchings, Newman, Bennell, Sinclair, Lycett and McGinnity have about three or four spots perhaps to fight for. Seems like Simpson is using this game to refine the best side as opposed to the Brisbane ultra youth route.

Waters, Gaff and NN not in the squad who should play Round 1, injury permitting. Pretty strong lineups from both teams with Freo naming most of the GF team plus Sylvia and Gumby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it looks as though they have gone best available, whilst we have as well (I guess).

However we have Max Duffy, Sam Menegola,Tanner Smith and Josh Simpson who I think may not make the final 26.

Unless we have an injury cloud around some others.

We have missing Griffin, Mayne, Ibbotson, Crowley, Bradley, Suban, Clarke, Morabito.

Anyone else I have missed?

Sutcliffe?

Surprised to not see Sutcliffe in the team and interestingly for the Eagles, no Nic-Nat and no Cox. With Menegola in there, could be Coach Lyon's prerogative to test-drive Menegola as a future tagger. Does he go to Jack Darling, if, as planned, Adam Simpson shifts him to a midfield role?

Surprised to not see Sutcliffe in the team and interestingly for the Eagles, no Nic-Nat and no Cox. With Menegola in there, could be Coach Lyon's prerogative to test-drive Menegola as a future tagger. Does he go to Jack Darling, if, as planned, Adam Simpson shifts him to a midfield role?

Not a bad match-up I reckon. What is Menagola's tackling like anyone?

Tell you what, boys and girls...I'm praying Ryno's leg is just sore and nothing more. He's arguably our most valuable player. Love Tendai's tank and DeBoer's tackling, but as a tagger, Ryno's got the whole package and he's also ferocious and can chat an opponent into submission. Hope Menegola can eventually become his heir apparent.

Cox was named Gil. #20

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back