Telstra AFL Live Official App & Pricing

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a great deal for me, can't afford the full price of Pay and allows me to watch the Lions who before this I could only watch on TV twice for the year.

When will the app be released? Because if its not before Friday then I wont be able to watch NAB on the iphone while I wait:(

I've paid. Anyone know how it works?

Do I have to wait until Round 1 to download the app?

There's no mention of how to actually watch the stream.

This is a great deal for me, can't afford the full price of Pay and allows me to watch the Lions who before this I could only watch on TV twice for the year.

When will the app be released? Because if its not before Friday then I wont be able to watch NAB on the iphone while I wait:(

It will definitely be available in time for the NAB cup, as it is part of their sales pitch.

You can already watch the AFL TV feature through the web browser and BigPond app.

Last few seasons I have subscribed to the AFL Action Pack @ $ 5.95 month , which gave game replays , interviews , DT etc - the AFL app will replace the Action pack when released next month and will be free .

I think the live games $ 50 dollar subscription is different and seperate from the APP and can be used on any phone ( Next G or 4G ) , ie you wont need the app for it to work ??

I'm sure if there was a party willing to pay the kind of $$ Telstra are for this service the AFL would sign with them....but unfortunately Australia doesn't have that competition and as you have pointed out, it's worth more to Telstra than the $50 a season it's about signing them on to Telstra mobile plans.
Tranlation: the AFL is putting its immediate financial interests ahead of the interests of the game and fans. It's the equivalent of saying you can only watch footy if you agree to stock your fridge exclusively with Coca Cola.

A much better solution would be for the AFL to pay someone to provide the stream, then let anyone who want to resell the stream to internet devices.

Or, even more crazy, just let fans pay the AFL for access.

This is what a real streaming sports package looks like:

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

You'll notice:

- you don't have to sign up with any particular internet access provider
- you can stream it to whatever the hell you want
- it's actually HD

Yeah, Optus or Vodafone would do a much better job... lol
Amazingly, you don't have to hire a major telco in order to provide streaming video.

And as for Telstra, the streaming video on the AFL website is a disgrace (does it still require Microsoft Silverlight, or have they moved on from that?).

Oh dear the irony, get into the 21st century AFL?

Mate i think you need to get into 2012, i think its been a while since you've looked at Telstra mobile plans.

Remember this AFL LIVE is available on post and pre paid Telstra mobiles.
Yeah, the 21st century. People want choice, they don't want to be locked down to packages and platforms and partner organisations. See the link about to the NBA League Pass setup I posted above to understand what is possible.

What did Telstra pay, $150M for 5 years?

Let's see... say, 150,000 fans pay $200 per year for live HD streaming on their device of choice (including IPTVs and the like). That's $30M per year... $150M over five years. And you're appealing to a much bigger market than just Telstra customers, and providing the best possible service to fans.

150,000 fans wont pay $200 a year for HD streaming. Society is a long way off that capability - which the AFL is working towards already anyway by all accounts.

The AFL needs money, the players want money. Someone has to pay the piper. at the moment we get a guaranteed 150 million, rather than hoping we get 150 million. Theres a vast difference.

150,000 fans wont pay $200 a year for HD streaming. Society is a long way off that capability - which the AFL is working towards already anyway by all accounts.

The AFL needs money, the players want money. Someone has to pay the piper. at the moment we get a guaranteed 150 million, rather than hoping we get 150 million. Theres a vast difference.
At the cost of denying the majority of fans access to these services - by making them Telstra exclusive.

So money >>>> access for fans.

And given that people will pay $50-100/month for Foxtel for a minimum of 12 months (i.e. $600-1200) I don't think it's unrealistic that people would pay a couple of hundred bucks for good on-line streaming.

I've subscribed. I hazard a guess that there will be an AFL Live App and an AFL Live Plus App for Telstra customers who want to subscribe.

Hope the droid app is out before Friday, but won't be holding my breath as Telstra can be quite useless with new technology.

Next step is to figure out how to get the stream on to my TV, should be quite do-able. (Not as simple as using the phone as a hotspot if anyone thinks that would do it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i'll be wanting to tether my phone to my tablet and hdmi out.

I've been told that doesn't work for mobile Foxtel, so I don't think it will work. If it does I will be getting a Xoom!

Checked Terms and Conditions , which subscribed me :confused:

So Im In , first month free . See how it goes , I have a pre paid Telstra T95 phone ( No iphone ) so its suitable for any Next G phone ( Mine was a $ 49 special )

Shamless self plug. There is already an Android App for the 2012 H&A season...

No streaming TV though but fast links to AFL mobile websites are embedded.

Search for "AFL 2012" in the android market.

Yes. You have to be a Telstra customer for streaming matches.

Tranlation: the AFL is putting its immediate financial interests ahead of the interests of the game and fans. It's the equivalent of saying you can only watch footy if you agree to stock your fridge exclusively with Coca Cola.

A much better solution would be for the AFL to pay someone to provide the stream, then let anyone who want to resell the stream to internet devices.

Or, even more crazy, just let fans pay the AFL for access.

This is what a real streaming sports package looks like:

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

You'll notice:

- you don't have to sign up with any particular internet access provider
- you can stream it to whatever the hell you want
- it's actually HD

That's all fine (I would love for this to be the case as I don't have foxtel or mobile with Telstra), but NBA has a much, much larger audience where this service would actually generate the NBA a decent profit.

The same thing isn't feasible for AFL and the Telstra deal yields them a LOT more money.

At the cost of denying the majority of fans access to these services - by making them Telstra exclusive.

So money >>>> access for fans.

And given that people will pay $50-100/month for Foxtel for a minimum of 12 months (i.e. $600-1200) I don't think it's unrealistic that people would pay a couple of hundred bucks for good on-line streaming.

have you been on these other companies 3G systems lately? At least a Telstra based system is likely to work given they seem to actually understand mobile phone networking, unlike certain other companies. Theres a reason why when Vodafone failed hardcore almost every customer that left chose Telstra.

Now you've got to ask yourself, one company that laid out for the rights and will likely deliver a watchable service, or several companies that will put a halfbaked effort in for nowhere near the same amount of money.

Your faith in Australians to pay $200 for streaming is I feel unrealistic at this time, but give it a couple of years and who knows where we'll be.

Im an optus pre paid customer with an unlocked i phone 4s, can I purchase a telstra pre paid package and buy the season pass and stream the games live or will I need to have a shitload of data credit to do so?

Also will it be working for the nab cup this friday?

Im an optus pre paid customer with an unlocked i phone 4s, can I purchase a telstra pre paid package and buy the season pass and stream the games live or will I need to have a shitload of data credit to do so?

Also will it be working for the nab cup this friday?

It's unmetered - so hopefully you can do it via prepaid. You will have to hunt through the T's and C's.

It is supposed to be u for NAB cup, either via the app or m.afl.com.au

Any word on whether you can use your home WiFi instead of mobile data? Brick walls ruin my signal next to the TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Telstra AFL Live Official App & Pricing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back