Toast Ten reasons why I love my footy club...in no particular order

Remove this Banner Ad

HawkieTalkie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
South East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi everyone! For some reason, the photograph on today's front page of the Herald Sun (with Jason Dunstall and Cyril Rioli) caused me to reminisce about my beloved Hawks, who I have supported since the start of 1990. Memories of players and moments came flooding back, so I have decided to list 10 reasons (in no particular order) why I love Hawthorn.

1. The courage and spirit of Peter Crimmins
2. The 1999 comeback vs St Kilda
3. The great John Kennedy Snr
4. The 2008 Grand Final
5. The "brothers-in-arms" moment before the 2001 Final vs Port Adelaide
6. Dermott Brereton's courage in the 1989 Grand Final
7. Chris Langford's "Merger match" jumper wave
8. Our club song
9. Peter Knights - an on-field and off-field hero
10. Our colours...."winning" colours they are :)

11. Your coach is a ****ing genius!
Came up with the rolling zone / cluster style gameplan which won you a premiership and changed the way the game is played
Now he's engineered a chipping, short kick game using all his precise left - footers to bust the zone. He's destroying the concept he created!

Came up with the rolling zone / cluster style gameplan which won you a premiership and changed the way the game is played
Now he's engineered a chipping, short kick game using all his precise left - footers to bust the zone. He's destroying the concept he created!

Quoted for truth. Not enough credit to Clarkson this year

That's awesome, I never thought of that.
You don't create a monster unless you're prepared to take it down.

12. Leigh Matthews (do I need to expand on this one at all?).
13. The 'I would die for my team' style of play, constantly on display by guys like Dermott Brereton and Gary Ayres for everyone to see.
14. The silky skills and accurate goal kicking abilities of some of the greatest players the game has ever seen, namely Peter Hudson and Jason Dunstall.
15. The 1980s.
16. The 1987 Preliminary Final - never say die, backs against the wall, fighting against the wind for three quarters (sounds strange but it happened), and throwing the dice in the dying seconds and somehow eeking out an unlikely win. I'll never forget the feeling at the final siren.
17. Peter Knights. Been noted before, but good enough to be mentioned twice. Received nose bleeds from the huge speccies he took, and was robbed of several brownlow medals due to injuries.
18. John Kennedy and Alan Jeans - developed a mentality and style of hard but fair play (well... mainly fair). :) Personified the club I love.
19. Robert Dipierdomenico (pre-brownlow). God, I loved his elbow.
20. The merger debacle. A situation that sadly had to happen. Drew the supporters out of the woodwork and made them realize they needed to support, not just follow. It was the beginnings of making us a true power club of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was in today's Age in an article about Callan Ward:

When Callan and his twin sister Aysha were little, and the Wards would get together with Footscray-following friends, their dad would ask them, ''What do the Bulldogs do?'' And the kids would answer, ''The Bulldogs break your heart''.

One of the reasons I love this club so much is that, while at times they've been disappointing, they've come nowhere near to breaking my heart. I've been rewarded by 9 premierships in my lifetime, a plethora of great players, a future to look forward to & wonderful moments like the 2nd quarter last night.

My youngest asked me this morning why I support Hawthorn. My reply was I've been blessed by doing so.

1 - the dont think , doooo !!!!

2 - jarman and plattens passes to dunstall and dermie

3 - leigh mathews ability to win games , its why he was named the best of the century.

4 - the rivalry between multiple clubs , ie - scum , cats , pies , blues , tigers , roos ,
dees . all stemming from our vast success in finals .

5 - the family orientation of our club .

6 - the manner in which we won our flags .

7 - shane crawford yelling out " thats what i'm talking about " .

8 - the period from 83 to 91 . no other club in recent history has achieved this . they talk of the lions , the cats and now collingwood being great sides but little is said about the hawks during this period when football was football and there were no pussy rules to make it easy .

9 - dermies strut .

10 - the passion of our supporters .

11 - the multidude of stars we have produced and what they have done for football as players and or coaches for us or other teams .

12 - oops , i forgot this was only going to ten but we just have sooooo many things .

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All very good reasons.

One I'd like to add is the people I've met who support the Hawthorn Football Club. If I wasn't a Hawthorn supporter, I would not have had the pleasure of meeting many of these wonderful human beings which includes several BigFooty posters.

The 70s. Highly underrated era, only because it was overshadowed by what came immediately after it. Think of it this way: we only won one less flag in the 70s than we did in the 80s!
In fact, that ENTIRE period is unmatched in the history of the game: 1971 to 1991. 21 Flags on offer, 12 Grand Finals contested (57%) for 8 flags won (38%). Untouchable.

Going to training at Glenferrie and not one player, and Clarko, being anything other than delighted to have their photo taken and autograph my son's jumper.
Wonderful players to watch over many years
Best group of indigenous players in the competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ten reasons why I love my footy club...in no particular order

Remove this Banner Ad

Back