Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The flashing lights and shitty loud music felt very artificial.

The floodlights that can flash and turn on in an instant were pretty cool - that’s where any complimentary vibe I had for that poor excuse for a venue end.

Haven’t been there since I was a kid, what’s it actually like to watch a game there?

The view is really good to be fair - and despite the fan experience and mobile reception being like something from 2005 it was still a better experience than watching a game at Marvel.

I’d still take nosebleeds at the G any day of the week over it though.

Except he made contact with the head. View attachment 2041475
We weren’t talking about Lewis getting a free kick. It was about Kolo possible being “in trouble” - ie being suspended.

Having said that, this isn’t prohibited contact if the player has made the football their sole objective.

Otherwise guys putting their knees on someone’s shoulder to take a hangar or spoil the football would routinely be giving away free kicks because they’ve contacted the “step ladder” player on/above the shoulders.

So that’s why he……went back to WA then?
He was not a young father when he was drafted to Hawthorn. He was a kid like every other draftee, wanting to follow his dream. He even extended for 12 months after playing out 2 seasons.

He went back home because his partner wanted the support back home to help raise his twin daughters.

Sunday: coffee, racism discussion in the autopsy thread, watch VFL

I'm still trying to decide if it should've been a free to Lewis.
It really was hard to see the contact of elbow on head when it happened, what we saw was the end result which the umpire can't pay a retrospective free for. Very hard for the umpire to call it IMHO

Sam’s post match interview reminded me that we’re never as bad as a bad performance and never as good as I thought we might be after 5 wins in a row.

Lucky to have him and the coaching team - hope the players can learn the lessons quickly.

I saw Cameron having a go at CJ (no doubt something about headbands and celebrations) - can’t wait for the day when we can flip the script … 2026?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really was hard to see the contact of elbow on head when it happened, what we saw was the end result which the umpire can't pay a retrospective free for. Very hard for the umpire to call it IMHO
I saw the high contact the second it happened on my TV screen with the contact itself taking up a tiny bit of my screen. I didn't need to see the aftermath to know it happened and I wasn't alone.

How an umpire who is actually on the ground and presumably was watching the play and trained to spot these things missed it is baffling to say the least. It was not very hard to see.

I saw the high contact the second it happened on my TV screen with the contact itself taking up a tiny bit of my screen. I didn't need to see the aftermath to know it happened and I wasn't alone.

How an umpire who is actually on the ground and presumably was watching the play and trained to spot these things missed it is baffling to say the least. It was not very hard to see.
if the umps were able to see the incidental high contact that happened on the wing a couple mins later to a geelong player then they sure as hell could see an impactful elbow to the back of the head. It summarised the umpiring for the whole game really. Did i miss the memo on reverting to the old HTB interpretation? umps were a disgrace, but not the reason we lost.

You've had posts deleted and you've had your posts highlighted back to you multiple times over the journey because you seem to always hold your most pointed criticism for a particular kind of player, declaring that they don’t try, won’t try, can’t commit, won’t commit….
SYL the single source of truth on Big Footy - would make Jacinta Arden beam with pride

Weddle got baptised by fire. Reminds me of when we put blanck on lynch and he kicked a bag.
He played on him Easter Monday and did a great job . Incredible really for a 20 yo.

It's a good reminder of where we are as a team and the experience level some of our players have getting asked to play huge roles .

We aren't exactly hiding them , giving them bit part roles or picking up the 3rd/4th forward .

Re Weddle the difference was on Easter Monday he tracked Cameron outside the 50 then rotated off him when he went inside forward 50. On the weekend he got caught inside 50 and Cameron was too good. Sicily was missed as didn’t seem we could get matchups right.

Well said agree 100%. Once I saw our first kick out and that we had set up exactly the same way we do at the G I thought we were going to struggle due to the ground size.

Targets that are open at the G weren’t there but we still tried and were squeezed. Plus the cats holding us at every opportunity like they used to clamped our spread. We didn’t adapt.

Agree selection wasn’t par for course. Needed another big bodied mid. Harry shouldn’t have been in the side either. Had to make a change to the mix for this ground.

We missed Calshers lead ups big time.

Road ahead is tough as Day looked very sore. Likely a few soldiers down.
Pretty annoyed at those kickouts.

Geelong knew it would happen every time.

They also lined up across our half back line to pick up the scrag kicks out of defence too.

Coaches should have worked that out beforehand.

Pretty annoyed at those kickouts.

Geelong knew it would happen every time.

They also lined up across our half back line to pick up the scrag kicks out of defence too.

Coaches should have worked that out beforehand.

I get players deserved time off during the bye - and while the focus was on West Coast coming off the bye - given there were 3 weeks between the Richmond game and the Geelong game, and given its importance - if we didn't have a couple of the coaches/opposition analysts looking at how our gamestyle would translate given the constricted field and then working out ways to combat it I would be fairly disappointed.

I recently spoke to a guy who is on the fringes of the Melbourne Storm first grade squad and generally plays in the seconds. He told me that each week those not playing on the weekend work with the opposition analyst and are instructed on how to play like the Storm's coming opponents and then play match simulations against the first grade side to help them prepare for the game. Perhaps we do this also - but if not it would be a little disappointing with all that time on our hands that for the 2 weeks between the Richmond game and West Coast game that we didn't have some coaches working on this and using fringe players, even some Box Hill players, simulate things like kick ins etc that would be a lot harder for us given the field dimensions and working out ways around it.

I know it's just one H&A game - but we win on Saturday and we presently sit in 11th spot and are knocking the door down for finals. As it stands now we can't afford to lose more than about once, possibly twice on the run home.

He was not a young father when he was drafted to Hawthorn. He was a kid like every other draftee, wanting to follow his dream. He even extended for 12 months after playing out 2 seasons.

He went back home because his partner wanted the support back home to help raise his twin daughters.
So his “go home” factor had nothing to do with being indigenous.

There you go. 👍

If we beat Geelong the twice we are in their ladder position and they in ours.

Hawks draw outside this is very similar to the cats, with obviously the same outcomes and after 16 games a decent sample

So while I can see where Sam says we have a way to go to match the top teams, had we won even on game v geelong, we are level with them

I get players deserved time off during the bye - and while the focus was on West Coast coming off the bye - given there were 3 weeks between the Richmond game and the Geelong game, and given its importance - if we didn't have a couple of the coaches/opposition analysts looking at how our gamestyle would translate given the constricted field and then working out ways to combat it I would be fairly disappointed.

I recently spoke to a guy who is on the fringes of the Melbourne Storm first grade squad and generally plays in the seconds. He told me that each week those not playing on the weekend work with the opposition analyst and are instructed on how to play like the Storm's coming opponents and then play match simulations against the first grade side to help them prepare for the game. Perhaps we do this also - but if not it would be a little disappointing with all that time on our hands that for the 2 weeks between the Richmond game and West Coast game that we didn't have some coaches working on this and using fringe players, even some Box Hill players, simulate things like kick ins etc that would be a lot harder for us given the field dimensions and working out ways around it.

I know it's just one H&A game - but we win on Saturday and we presently sit in 11th spot and are knocking the door down for finals. As it stands now we can't afford to lose more than about once, possibly twice on the run home.
I would like to think the coaching staff did those things too.

But we didn't seem to change much as the game went on.

Leigh Matthews made the point we were out coached. I'm definitely with him there.

If we beat Geelong the twice we are in their ladder position and they in ours.

Hawks draw outside this is very similar to the cats, with obviously the same outcomes and after 16 games a decent sample

So while I can see where Sam says we have a way to go to match the top teams, had we won even on game v geelong, we are level with them
Unfortunately we did lose to them twice pretty convincingly. There's still a gap between us and the best teams this year. Reckon we are in the 8-13 range - if everything goes right we could sneak into finals, but most likely 'top half of the bottom 10'. Still good progress from last year. Goal should be finals next year and contending in 2026/27.

Having said that Adelaide probably felt the same after their 2023 season, so nothing is guaranteed. Need to work bloody hard in this comp to keep improving - coaches, players, recruiters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back